That's just not right Square-Enix

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Now I really can't penalize Final Fantasy 13 itself or the development teams who are making it.  In reality, they seem to want to make this the 1337 Final Fantasy game and potentially it seems like it could be.   So I really can't dog on the game itself.  In reality, I have to applaud it.  They truly seem to be taking extra time to make this what they want it to be.   However, when it comes to public relations I can. 

The game was announced at E306.  It's going to come out probably around the same time in 2010.

That's 4 years my friends.  4 years.  You could potentially go through middle school knowing about the game but never getting it.
That's quite long and to be frank, it sort of ticks me off.  Luckily, Versus 13, which probably could be called FF14 (sort of) will come out in a year or so after, but still, it's no excuse.  Versus is an offender as well, but it's sort of been put in the back of FF13.  In reality, the biggest offender is Alan Wake which was announced March 2005, but since it's a completely new ip, it's not a big deal.

But anyway, it's sort of rediculous.  Ahh.. I can't decide what's worse in reality.   Waiting 4 years for a 100+ hour game or 3 and 1/2 for a 8 hour "interactive movie" type game...

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Randolph

To hell with FF13, I just want Chrono Trigger on the Virtual Console.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King
Randolph said:
"To hell with FF13, I just want Chrono Trigger on the Virtual Console."
I want my Top 10 games available on the Wii, if possible. Hell, #5 was already in English!
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

Another in depth look at the state of the video game industry by the esteemed SmugDarkLoser.

Anyway, I am not a huge Final Fantasy fan in general so I can wait for FF13. 

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By FlipperDesert
Br3adfan said:
"Another in depth look at the state of the video game industry by the esteemed SmugDarkLoser.Anyway, I am not a huge Final Fantasy fan in general so I can wait for FF13.  "
We should have given him [+]1's, just for today.

I only liked FF7, but 4 years isn't exactly out of the norm for a game's development cycle these days.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ
Randolph said:
You know, i just finished the DS remake, and it really looks a lot better than the SNES original. Its almost like an HD upgrade it looks so much better. You should consider looking at getting the DS version when it drops to a convinient price.
Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Captain_Fookup

What happened to June?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

A Killzone 2 "in game trailer" was shown at E3 2005, and that didn't hit until 4 years later either Smug, its not something that I find surprising anymore...there's a ton of games that take years to ever come out since you first hear of them.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
AgentJ said:
"Randolph said:
You know, i just finished the DS remake, and it really looks a lot better than the SNES original. Its almost like an HD upgrade it looks so much better. You should consider looking at getting the DS version when it drops to a convinient price.
"
I disagree the game doesn't look any better infact it looks sort of worse i mean the resolution on a smaller screen gives you certain benefits but they could have done some filter work to make it look even better from the snes original and bar the new translation which really isn't that much better then the snes original its just a straight port which is sad they could have done so much more with it.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
WilliamRLBaker said:
"AgentJ said:
"Randolph said:
"
I disagree the game doesn't look any better infact it looks sort of worse i mean the resolution on a smaller screen gives you certain benefits but they could have done some filter work to make it look even better from the snes original and bar the new translation which really isn't that much better then the snes original its just a straight port which is sad they could have done so much more with it."
TRANSLATION:

It's on a current gen Nintendo platform, so it's worse.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ
WilliamRLBaker said:
"AgentJ said:
"Randolph said:
"
I disagree the game doesn't look any better infact it looks sort of worse i mean the resolution on a smaller screen gives you certain benefits but they could have done some filter work to make it look even better from the snes original and bar the new translation which really isn't that much better then the snes original its just a straight port which is sad they could have done so much more with it."
Yes, they could have done much more with it, but the game really does look fresh. The status box is a brighter blue, the characters are all more vivid, and the whole game in general looks like it had the dust blown off of it. Compare videos of the original to videos of the new one, and you'll see a difference.
SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I'm used to waiting that long for a game.  We all are really.  Many, just don't know it.

I haven't really been able to get into a FF game since 8.  Not counting online.  But I still avidly pay attention to SE's products.  Hoping for a quality FF, that tempts my gaming interests, to be once again released.  I don't mind waiting 4 or more years.  Since I prefer quality over quantity.

I also don't see a problem with Japan's fascination with interactive movies.  I for one loved MGS4 and would love more games like that.  When I was younger Cut scenes were a BIG deal.  So playing games today that integrate, the CSs and game play flawlessly, is a great pleasure.

Story is still a major part of a game, for me.

But only time will tell, if this next FF when be another great, classic JRPG.  I say worth the wait.  It's nice having things to look forward to, and to follow.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Arkthemaniac said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:
"AgentJ said:
"Randolph said:
"
TRANSLATION:

It's on a current gen Nintendo platform, so it's worse.
"
translation
Square did a port to call it any thing but means shit.

The game could have had an even better translation they could have added all new scenes, what we got was a pittling translation change on items you can use, 2 new dungeons one of which is one of the most boring fetch quests i've ever seen the other is more in line but it only adds one new ending, Neither of these dungeons add any thing or change any thing to the story.  The arena is worthless the items you get from it while good its simply a diversion.
Chrono trigger on snes is not my favorate game of all time, Earthbound and Secret of evermore hold those places in my heart, chrono trigger infact ranks about 11 on my top 10 snes rpgs So its not bias talking its simple fact that they could have taken 2+ years and made this a great DS remake but they made a port with the most minimal of changes that pretty much do nothing for the core game they are add-ons and thats it.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By eclipsesis

Dude im just being patient, i am thinking about importing the japnese version tho, cause my translation skills aren't that bad, however its truely the english voice acting and 360 development holding it back so you know who to blame, unless your getting it on the 360 in which case its you fault and i hate every fibre of your being, just joking.... but seriously, 

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By vidiot

Welcome to the world of current gen development times, stretched out further on a product that also needs longer development time due to creating a brand new engine, stretched out further by a lengthy localization time (Regardless of what Square advertises.), stretched out by the time needed to port the entire product to another platform. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince

Good games always take a long time to make. I'd rather wait a long time and end up getting a breath taking experience rather then getting it quickly but having it be all buggy with the true potential only sneaking through at times.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By PercyChuggs
Randolph said:
Yes, to hell with making new games that pave the way for the next generation of RPG's. Let's have more ports of old games! Whoooo!
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By penguindust

I just saw the FF13 Versus trailer over at Gametrailers and can someone tell me what that game is supposed to be about.  Is it an action game like FF7 Dirge of Cerberus or something else?  I have no real clue and the video doesn't shine a light on it except to say that it involves trees and goddesses.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/314553.html

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yes, Versus XIII is going to be an action game to go along with FFXIII JRPG and Agito XIII on the PSP. They are trying to hit all fronts.

I think the long development time is entirely understandable. Square Enix knows that they have a cash cow which companies and fans will wait for as long as it takes. Therefore, they are going to take their sweet time to get it done when it's done.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By REDRUN

Dude,... relax. Final Fantasy XIII is separated into 3 different stories. Square is doing their best in trying to deliver to the fans and in the same time, survive as a company to continue making games.

Final Fantasy XIII (360, PS3), looks as if a rebellion was against an empire. The trailer suggests of an artifical way of summons and mana through technology. (this is what should be released first, expect big)

Final Fantasy agitoXIII(PSP), looks like a military academy storyline. (i am guessing this is to be released the following quarter to not canobolize on thier own sales)

Final Fantasy verusXIII(PS3 only), looks like a Romeo and Juliet story. (finally, the trump card)

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By hazelnutman

I'll just leave this here:

Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Red

No. Duke Nukem Forever was and still is the biggest offender. When it's after the 5 year mark, then it's just getting pointless, but a 4 year development cycle, while making a new and beautiful engine in the process, isn't too bad.

Yeah, we're not seeing year-long gaps, but now that they've made the White Engine (or Crystal Tools), I expect to be seeing at least another Roman Numeral on the PS3/360.
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By REDRUN

@Red, agreed. DNF is never coming out, in my opinion. Actually Duke Nukem Forever was officially announce April 1997, 12 years ago.

Just like what Red said. Four years in development, sounds like a good bake to me, it truly shows where the four years went. I am sure the wait is well worth it.