The anti-Patrick stuff is really getting out of hand.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@kkotd said:

Want him dead? Wait about 80 years and you might get your wish

I like what this implies.

#cyborgGiantBomb

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By fattony12000

I wonder what Patrick thinks of me.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yah if you are harassing the man and his family/friend you are just garbage. Patrick does a lot of good stuff for this site and bring a lot, but he does talk out of his ass here and there and people should constructively criticize him when he does. From what I have seen, more than anyone else on the staff he is open to constructive criticism and he has corrected himself multiple times and I really respect that. He also tries to be open minded about stuff, which is refreshing to see.

There are only 2 things that he has said that made me rage, 1) completely dropping the ball on explaining why Binary Domain is a kickass game in the GOTY discussion (poor vinny needed backup) 2) what he said recently about TWD comic not being that good........ I don't know who the fuck told that poor soul this and it just blows my mind. Obviously as he stated he hadn't read much of the TWD comic, but they work literary beside a great comic book reviewer in G-Man and he loves the TWD comic. When he said that I could just imagine G-Man just face palming at scoops epic fail.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I wonder what Patrick thinks of me.

I heard he thinks you're a cutie.

RobotSquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm no fan of Patrick myself. There are times when I respect him (his recent Monster Hunter thing is awesome), but then I watch the Walking Dead video and I remember why I dislike him. Usually I simply quietly avoid Patrick videos, but I heard terrible things about the game so I wanted to see it in action. I don't even watch or read The Walking Dead, but the "I haven't read the comics, but the writing and characters are terrible" attitude annoyed me. It's not me picking on or being more critical of Patrick because he's The New Guy (he was already here when I joined), he just has a personality that I find irritating.

Some of the hate though is just over the top. If you dislike the dude, just avoid him and quietly hope they stop including him in everything.

I would love a video series of Vinny, Patrick and Drew playing Monster Hunter though. Make that happen.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerned said:

It really is completely ridiculous. If people don't like him they should stop paying attention to him, simple as that. I don't read things by writers I don't like, it's not hard to do.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Krullban

@kerned said:

It really is completely ridiculous. If people don't like him they should stop paying attention to him, simple as that. I don't read things by writers I don't like, it's not hard to do.

Hard to ignore him when he's in 90% of quicklooks on the site these days.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why doesn't Brad get all the hate? I find him the douchiest of the group.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#109  Edited By StarvingGamer

I like Patrick and appreciate the wider breadth of content he brings to the site.

That said, I have no problems with speaking up when one of he writes one of his horribly misguided articles or he says something that comes across as completely asinine, both of which have happened on numerous occasion.

EDIT: My point, as it relates to this thread, is that while he may draw an unnecessarily large amount of ire from the GB community, I imagine a fair amount of it comes from people like me who don't appreciate the ways he approaches certain things.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By sdharrison

'Trick Hate is a pretty cool rap name

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

+1000 to everything the OP said.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By kishinfoulux

@gaminghooligan said:

may I ask because I am uninformed what TV show did he not like? (by the way I like Patrick)

He said The Walking Dead tv show wasn't that good.

He also said the comic wasn't any good, after admitting to only reading a little ways into it. Seems like a silly thing to say when you've barely read any of it. He's prone to using hyperbole way too casually. How many times have you heard him say on the podcast "this game is trash/garbage/etc."? It's nonsense and borderline unprofessional.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metal_mills said:

@gaminghooligan said:

may I ask because I am uninformed what TV show did he not like? (by the way I like Patrick)

He also said the comic wasn't any good, after admitting to only reading a little ways into it. Seems like a silly thing to say when you've barely read any of it. He's prone to using hyperbole way too casually. How many times have you heard him say on the podcast "this game is trash/garbage/etc."? It's nonsense and borderline unprofessional.

Is it ok for me to say I think the WD is garbage because the writer of it is a colossal douche?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont get it. I remember reading something in that video and in this thread that said that hes presenting his opinion as a fact. So is he supposed to say "in my opinion" everytime he gives an opinion? An opinion is an opinion. Its just that. Everyone who has a public voice doesnt have to like everything that you agree with.

I mean, you can dislike something if youve only read a bit of it. I dont have to read a series of novels by a 5 year old to know its bad. I can just read the first page and know that its shit.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By mrfluke

yea legit criticism is fine, never will i give these guys blind loyalty and be like YAYYYY GREAT JOB U GUYS U SO PERFECT.....ugh

but mann yea attacks to get under his skin are a bit much and give us a generalized bad name. and itill take one more sexism story for it to reach critical mass

spexeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By spexeh

People have commented on his family's videos? That is profoundly disappointing. The Walking Dead is one of my favorite shows, but who honestly gives a shit? I hate to break it to the Patrick haters, (i.e. those who would antagonize his family, not those who would offer constructive criticism) but there billions of people in the world, and most of them don't share your opinions. Just get over it.

On a related note, this site would be worse without Patrick and likely better without those who constantly complain about him.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never seen the Patrick hate get to the points that you are describing, but then again I don't pay much attention to it.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If Patrick said TWD wasn't a good show he is right. BOOM

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#120  Edited By Slag

. I've even seen comments like "I wish it was his neck he fucking broke". Seriously? Not only that, Patrick mentioned on twitter people are now finding his personal videos for friends and family to see and posting disgusting and hateful comments on them so he's forced to disable them. You're going to upset his family, harass and bully a guy over video games? It's scummy, sad, and pathetic to act that way but they do because they're keyboard warriors.

Wow I had no idea people were taking it that far. That's completely inexcusable.

It never ceases to amaze me the degree of entitlement some people seem to feel they have over famous people.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By FourWude

I've seen the future guys.

On March 28 Patrick writes the most one sided, impassioned defence of Susan Wilson and her Kickstarter project for her 9 year old girl. He basically calls all men on the internet manbearpigs. And says anyone who doesn't support the KS should be castrated.

On March 29 whilst riding his bike home, a "JFK" incident happens. America hits its turning point. Riots rage on the streets between pro-Klepek factions, backed by the feminist media and bankers. And on the other side we have the anti-Klepek manbearpigs who have taken to underground guerilla tactics.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By joshthebear

Everyone should take a deep breath... it's the internet.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's honestly more annoying to me that people feel the need to constantly white knight Patrick. At least when I see someone spewing unfounded hate at him, I can just ignore it because "okay, that person's just an idiot. Moving on with my day." But, goddamn, the constant "I MUST DEFEND PATRICK, FUCK ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS THAN ME" is getting really tiresome.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By stryker1121

If you're talking about the latest "outrage" it was directed at Patrick's seemingly ill-informed opinion on the WD comic. People got pissy that Patrick didn't like the comic even though he'd only read the 1st anthology, which fwiw covers 10 issues (there's 100-plus issues now).

As I stated on that thread the personal attacks against Patrick are ridiculous. I like GB b/c its commenter base largely strays away from the idiocy and vitriol of some 'enthusiast' websites, but the rage against Patrick over some of his views can get IGN-worthy.

My personal theory: Patrick's "haters" think he's cute and are angry and confused by their feelings.

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

patrick is great. he was great on the PAX panel, his quick looks are cool, i like his articles and i like him being around on all giant bomb content. at the PAX panel he actually seemed the most natural in front of a large group of people than anybody else there

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#126  Edited By Enigma777

Yeah, I'm kind of getting tired of all the Patrick flaming. We get it, you don't like him! You've been complaining for a whole year and did anything change? No. SO DROP THAT SHIT ALREADY!

Seriously some people can be such manchilds!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And instead of ignoring it, the idiots have to be put in the spotlight over and over and over and....

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, harassing him personally is completely scummy and awful and there's absolutely no excuse for it, totally. But don't hold what a handful of really dedicated weirdos do against the much larger amount of people who have totally fair criticisms of certain things Patrick does.

But let's be honest here; criticism, or in some cases, outright "hate" doesn't really exist for anyone else on the site, with the possible exception of Alex, but still, not even close. If a lot of people criticize you, there might be actual reasons for it, and instead of laying accusations of creepy harassment that only a literal handful of people have done against the thousands of people who have legitimate issues with Patrick and things he's done, there should be more of an effort to communicate with his detractors and win them over, rather than just continue to sideline them, which is clearly not fucking working.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the hate-Patrick train is just an intentional running joke by this point.

I mean, think about it. They watch all his content so that they can insult him, instead of not watching QLs he's in.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#130  Edited By JasonR86

Guys, The Walking Dead is an alright show. Plus a lot of people watch it. So it'll survive Patrick's malicious attacks. We cool?

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By BlatantNinja23
@kerned said:

@metal_mills said:

@gaminghooligan said:

And it's not.

it's a pretty universally critically despised show

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#132  Edited By Hailinel

@mcfart said:

I think the hate-Patrick train is just an intentional running joke by this point.

I mean, think about it. They watch all his content so that they can insult him, instead of not watching QLs he's in.

According to his Twitter account, he recently had to turn off comments on a Youtube video he posted meant for friends/family after the shitheads found it. (It is Youtube, which is the absolute bottom of the internet comment barrel, but still.)

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Nekroskop

Patrick is fine, unless he strays from the topic at hand or starts to go on a Gawker/Jezebel-rant.

He's probably the only member that keeps up with the indie scene and tries games that are out of the gang's radar.(Monster Hunter etc.)

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By TheHumanDove

Are you kidding me? anti patrick will never go out of style

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By eskimo

Being a public figure means having a thick skin and managing yourself appropriately. Patrick seems to have been doing a pretty good job so far and good for him.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And instead of ignoring it, the idiots have to be put in the spotlight over and over and over and....

Yeah I agree, Im gonna stop pointing out these fuckers. Just as long as people dont post any of those YouTube comments about Patrick. Theyre the worst.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is something wrong with my ears or he seriously got booed during the introduction at PAX panel? If you don't like the way he is stop paying attention to him.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Milkman

Is something wrong with my ears or he seriously got booed during the introduction at PAX panel? If you don't like the way he is stop paying attention to him.

They were saying "Scoops."

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By evilrazer
Knite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the mandatory "The pro-Patrick stuff is really getting out of hand." counter thread?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Sooty

The Walking Dead isn't a good show, it has maybe 1 or 2 good episodes a season. That isn't a good show.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By HH

anyone who uses the terms "white knight" or "hyper-sensitive" or the like, in this context, is a complete idiot and a giant asshole. keep stepping forward you morons, show yourselves please.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Dark

Sure his talk of 'systems' can get a little out of hand but seriously, I don't hate him in the slightest and he is a stalwart defender of things I enjoy (I love the animation priority gameplay and he is the first guy on giantbomb who seems to get it.)

Attacking a journalist's family because he doesn't like what you like, its a bit harsh.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@stryker1121: With that logic saying someone is wrong for not liking a book that has 100 chapters after reading 10 of them. He didn't like what he read and he gave his opinion on what he did read. Sure it might get better on, but it didn't grab him in the way it did for others. I've read lots of different things, be it books or comics that I didn't get far into because I wasn't enjoying, so my opinion on them was low. I would like to know how that is a bad thing.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to say it but when you put yourself out there, for anything, and make comments/opinions that people will disagree with to the point of absolute fanaticism you kind of have to expect being told to fuck off, or die, or they you're an AIDS ridden cunt. I don't like it but that's the world that we live in. Even on Twitter some of the absolute nicest people on the planet can be called talentless hacks. If you can't deal with it then either you shouldn't be putting yourself out there to that extent, you should check your opinions a bit more and learn to shut up, or ideally you grow some thick skin and realize that 87% of people on the internet are fucking assholes and just ignore it.

I'm absolutely not defending what some of those people are saying and their existence is a blight on the ass end of humanity and all we can achieve, but it's the price that will be paid for anybody that puts themselves out there. Especially a journalist with personal opinions that they know might rile some people up. Just like he's free to tell them to fuck off they're free to tell him to fuck off. End of story.

But some of the things some assholes are doing is harassment and they clearly need a size 14 boot shoved up their ass to the point where tread marks are imprinted on their tongue. That isn't right in any way, shape, or form.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By lkpower

I don't see why people ever felt the need to hate on Patrick. I think he is genuinely contributing to the site in a big way news-wise. He covers things that the other guys would never begin to cover, and quite honestly, he seems to be the most willing out of all of the guys to run down leads and get actual interviews for interesting stories. The others just seem to write about news from other stuff they've read about. I actually really like Patrick he seems like a cool guy. Regardless if you like him or hate him. He's not going anywhere. I think its better if all of the hates just accept him and move on. We come here to see entertaining content about games, and there is plenty. Why people waste time with this anti-Patrick stuff I don't get. Just enjoy the same content that you've enjoyed for years Duders!

bgdiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I think what we have here is just the response of attached fans to a difference in general opinion. Giantbomb is unlike any other game site I've encountered in my years on the Web, and I've found its community to be warm, communicative and cooperative, yet at the same time vile and--I may be misusing this term--xenophobic. I really don't blame the longtime users on this site for getting so attached; even after a few months on this site, and only recently having become a premium member, I can see the attraction. The thing is, however, when you have a like-minded community with (essentially) the same interests and hobbies, and a senior member of the community (in this case Patrick) decides to "break" from homogeneity, you're going to have angry people. It's a problem one is going to have with a community as dedicated and invested as Giantbomb's. Forgive me if that sounds overcritical, but I think it's the case.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By EnduranceFun

@hh said:

anyone who uses the terms "hyper-sensitive" or the like, in this context, is a complete idiot

No one on Giant Bomb is doing what OP says, if they were they'd be banned. This is why implying that "Patrick hate" on Giant Bomb is out-of-hand, when it's 95% fair criticism, is overly sensitive.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#149  Edited By Dagbiker

@stryker1121: With that logic saying someone is wrong for not liking a book that has 100 chapters after reading 10 of them. He didn't like what he read and he gave his opinion on what he did read. Sure it might get better on, but it didn't grab him in the way it did for others. I've read lots of different things, be it books or comics that I didn't get far into because I wasn't enjoying, so my opinion on them was low. I would like to know how that is a bad thing.

The thing is, what they teach you in school is wrong, people are people. You dont have to support your arguments, I bet you hate many things you have never tried, or books you never read.

People are human, they have emotions, sometimes they just don't like things, not everything needs an opening paragraph, three supporting paragraphs, and a conclusion.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By bunnymud

Patrick made me like Brad a whole lot more.