The Backlog, Entry 6: Bioshock Infinite

VincentAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By VincentAvatar

I have bought a lot of video games; what I haven’t done is beat a lot of video games. For whatever reason, I’ve decided to go back and give some of these games another shot: this is the Backlog.

This Week’s Game: Bioshock Infinite

No Caption Provided

I don’t know if there is a game that I have had such mixed feelings about before launch than Bioshock Infinite. When it was first announced, I was lukewarm on the whole concept of another Bioshock game; I thought they should have probably stopped after the original, and had not bothered to pick up or play Bioshock 2. Then I saw the teaser footage and, well… I got really excited.

I got really excited for a good long while as the hype for the game ebbed and flowed according to the tides of various gaming conventions. Then, suddenly and without any real reason that I can put my finger on, I stopped caring at all about its release. The game came out, and I didn’t buy it, and that was the state of things for a while, until it went on sale during a Steam Sale (a recurring theme in my backlog of games).

Hey, it’s a pretty fun game! It’s incredibly colorful, and the animation, especially that of Elizabeth, is really top-notch. The shooting is… well, it’s solid. A lot of enemies appear to exist just so you don’t get too much ammunition, and if we’re being honest, some of the Vigors make a lot of encounters trivial (Lookin’ at you, Bucking Bronco). That’s not necessarily a bad thing! I wish the guns packed a little more punch, but hey, can’t win ‘em all.

I haven’t beaten the game, obviously, but the story has been more or less thoroughly spoiled at this point and I actually am interested in seeing how it all comes together over the course of the game. I like the weird sci-fi parallel universe time travel stuff and so this game is right up my alleyway. It runs passing well on my computer and I don’t know really know why I haven’t beaten the game yet. I think that at the time, and even now, I am having a bit of FPS Fatigue.

So, anyway, I will probably play this game some more at some point down the line, but if I am going to be very honest with all of you (and of course I am, why wouldn’t I be?) I haven’t actually gone back and played any of the games on this Backlog since I’ve written their respective entries, except for The Last of Us, which I have played a couple times since then; it’s still in my PS3 drive, come to think of it. Funnily enough, a lot of the reason that I haven’t gone back to the games that I’ve written about is because I keep looking for a different game to write about.

Well, that and Destiny. I’ve been playing a lot of Destiny. That’s a whole different post, though, for a different time.