The Bane of My Existance

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

Edited By AgentJ
Many users of Giant Bomb decry the existance of what we know as Gamestop, and often for good reason. The employees have been known to be either rude or unhelpful, games kept in their care have been reportedly kept in less than ideal conditions (both those put on display and those kept in the back room), and they have been oft maligned for their "pushy" pre-order strategy. However, none of these things really make me personally all that angry. The thing that they do to absolutely kill me, is put those little yellow stickers on their games.

They are fine when they are fresh. Get a game within a month of the "used" barcode sticker being added and you won't have a tough time getting it off. Hell, get the game within 6 months of being applied and chances are with a little bit of nail use that sucker is coming off with little to no sign that it was ever there. 

But god help you if you are buying a real classic, like I did the other day on Ebay. I already had Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic for my 360 and am a big fan of Bioware ever since Mass Effect, so I figured there wasn't much harm in securing my own copy of KOTOR 2. The sale was easy, and the game came quickly, and i don't really blame the seller for the sticker, as it was something they didn't really care about so much. 

Unfortunately, It looks like the game may have been bought used only days after the original release in 2004 for how crusty and icky the stickers were. Every single one of them (there were a total of five, some on top of eachother) was so old that even carefully peeling from the corner didn't manage to keep the thing intact. The worst part was that the spine sticker, instead of being attached to the plastic casing, was instead adhered to the box art itself. It took a good 30 minutes and the pointy end of a nail filer to remove it, and I was fortunate to get that particular piece off with almost no visible damage, but the back and front sticker areas were not so lucky. There is still residue in certain sensitive areas of the box, and a few areas are a bit damaged from my removal methods. 

Of course, this isn't the first time i've had to deal with removing the damn stickers. In fact, the process for Ninja Gaiden Black was even worse, and dont get me started on the condition i got Skies of Arcadia Legends in. I was lucky when i worked at Gamestop that I didn't often work on the days we went through the weeks used games and removed the stickers from games that had price drops (to tell you the truth, most of the time we just put a new sticker over the old one, because often time it was just awful. 

GAMESTOP: Figure out a better way to do this. I remember how big a pain in the ass it was to apply those stickers when I worked there for a few months, and they are even less fun to remove them. Instead of applying a new barcode, perhaps you could just store the games existing barcode in your database, with the exception of games given to you without a box. And for god sakes, explicitly tell your employees not to attach the stickers to the box art itself. 

Bonus Points: As of today, the Star Wars (just obtained KOTOR 2 to go with KOTOR and Battlefront 1) series is the most prevalent in my XBOX (original) collection, and the Resident Evil (just obtained 0 and 1 to go with 2 and 4) franchise is the most prevelant in my Gamecube collection. 
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AgentJ
Many users of Giant Bomb decry the existance of what we know as Gamestop, and often for good reason. The employees have been known to be either rude or unhelpful, games kept in their care have been reportedly kept in less than ideal conditions (both those put on display and those kept in the back room), and they have been oft maligned for their "pushy" pre-order strategy. However, none of these things really make me personally all that angry. The thing that they do to absolutely kill me, is put those little yellow stickers on their games.

They are fine when they are fresh. Get a game within a month of the "used" barcode sticker being added and you won't have a tough time getting it off. Hell, get the game within 6 months of being applied and chances are with a little bit of nail use that sucker is coming off with little to no sign that it was ever there. 

But god help you if you are buying a real classic, like I did the other day on Ebay. I already had Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic for my 360 and am a big fan of Bioware ever since Mass Effect, so I figured there wasn't much harm in securing my own copy of KOTOR 2. The sale was easy, and the game came quickly, and i don't really blame the seller for the sticker, as it was something they didn't really care about so much. 

Unfortunately, It looks like the game may have been bought used only days after the original release in 2004 for how crusty and icky the stickers were. Every single one of them (there were a total of five, some on top of eachother) was so old that even carefully peeling from the corner didn't manage to keep the thing intact. The worst part was that the spine sticker, instead of being attached to the plastic casing, was instead adhered to the box art itself. It took a good 30 minutes and the pointy end of a nail filer to remove it, and I was fortunate to get that particular piece off with almost no visible damage, but the back and front sticker areas were not so lucky. There is still residue in certain sensitive areas of the box, and a few areas are a bit damaged from my removal methods. 

Of course, this isn't the first time i've had to deal with removing the damn stickers. In fact, the process for Ninja Gaiden Black was even worse, and dont get me started on the condition i got Skies of Arcadia Legends in. I was lucky when i worked at Gamestop that I didn't often work on the days we went through the weeks used games and removed the stickers from games that had price drops (to tell you the truth, most of the time we just put a new sticker over the old one, because often time it was just awful. 

GAMESTOP: Figure out a better way to do this. I remember how big a pain in the ass it was to apply those stickers when I worked there for a few months, and they are even less fun to remove them. Instead of applying a new barcode, perhaps you could just store the games existing barcode in your database, with the exception of games given to you without a box. And for god sakes, explicitly tell your employees not to attach the stickers to the box art itself. 

Bonus Points: As of today, the Star Wars (just obtained KOTOR 2 to go with KOTOR and Battlefront 1) series is the most prevalent in my XBOX (original) collection, and the Resident Evil (just obtained 0 and 1 to go with 2 and 4) franchise is the most prevelant in my Gamecube collection. 
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By torus

I've never understood why the box condition is so important to people. I keep all my disks in disk binders.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, I hate when they put the sticker on the inside, too. It happened with Lost Odyssey, which is just one of my reasons to hate Evil Empire GameStop.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AgentJ
@torus said:
" I've never understood why the box condition is so important to people. I keep all my disks in disk binders. "
Eh, i've always had some weird fascination with the box arts
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I too have a problem with this, but not just the used games, the new ones too.

Just today I bought Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for the DS... NEW
So what did they do? THEY GAVE ME THE DISPLAY BOX! Which has the sticker and holes in the front cover, and then they just stuck in the manual and game that was sealed in some plastic THAT ALSO HAD HOLES IN IT!
You know something's wrong when you buy a game New and get everything looking like it's used :/

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
@TheMustacheHero said:
" I too have a problem with this, but not just the used games, the new ones too. Just today I bought Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for the DS... NEWSo what did they do? THEY GAVE ME THE DISPLAY BOX! Which has the sticker and holes in the front cover, and then they just stuck in the manual and game that was sealed in some plastic THAT ALSO HAD HOLES IN IT!You know something's wrong when you buy a game New and get everything looking like it's used :/ "
Wow, that really, really, really, really sucks. There is no way i would have accepted that product. 
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@AgentJ: Yeah, but he said it was the only other box they had. I guess that's some-what justifiable...or he was just lying.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By EpicSteve

I used to work at Gamestop, and they have a ton of extra empty boxes. For marketing, and other reasons. Next time you go, try talking to one of the older looking staff and explain the problem. Show them your case, and merely ask to swap the box. It shouldn't be a problem if you act confident and make it obvious you know they have cases. Often times the extra boxes also don't have any stickers and are brand new. But if it bothers you, it'll probably not be green. 

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By grilledcheez

The stickers are terrible there...I'm just glad I didn't get asked a single question today when I picked up Red Faction. :)  (Although he asked the kid in front of me if he wanted an edge card and the kid stood there for like 5 minutes trying to decide...he eventually suspended the transaction and helped me lol)

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac

You and my brother would get along.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @AgentJ: Yeah, but he said it was the only other box they had. I guess that's some-what justifiable...or he was just lying. "
I would have gone to another store or bought online. That shit would kill me until i bought a new case (speaking of which, i just bought a panzer dragoon orta and Metroid prime case online the other day off some website. they should come in the mail soon)
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@AgentJ said:
"
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @AgentJ: Yeah, but he said it was the only other box they had. I guess that's some-what justifiable...or he was just lying. "
I would have gone to another store or bought online. That shit would kill me until i bought a new case (speaking of which, i just bought a panzer dragoon orta and Metroid prime case online the other day off some website. they should come in the mail soon)
"
I went to Target, Best buy, Walmart, and another GameStop, these guys were the only one's who had it. Reason I didn't buy it online was because I'm going on a trip in a week and wanted a portable game to play while I'm away, it was sort of sudden, but I've put a good 2 hours into so far and I'm loving it.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgentJ
@TheMustacheHero said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@TheMustacheHero said:
"
I went to Target, Best buy, Walmart, and another GameStop, these guys were the only one's who had it. Reason I didn't buy it online was because I'm going on a trip in a week and wanted a portable game to play while I'm away, it was sort of sudden, but I've put a good 2 hours into so far and I'm loving it. "
I'm glad you are at least enjoying it. Im in an interesting situation where i have such a backlog that i wont have to worry about buying a new game at the last minute for a long, long time. 
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@AgentJ: Yeah I have a million other games I haven't beat, but I just get bored XD
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgentJ
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @AgentJ: Yeah I have a million other games I haven't beat, but I just get bored XD "
: ) I have a million other games i haven't played, but i get distracted by my other passions
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ said:
"
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @AgentJ: Yeah I have a million other games I haven't beat, but I just get bored XD "
: ) I have a million other games i haven't played, but i get distracted by my other passions
"
I think that happens to all of us. I still haven't finished Okami, and I got it for Christmas :(. (I'd also count Lost Odyssey, but I'm close to beating that, so it's not as severe.)
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Snipzor

That's why I never go to Gamestop/EBGames, I go to BestBuy. But when I want to buy older games, I have a deal with my local Blockbuster (Who makes most of its money through game rentals actually, I know the store inside out despite never working there) who let's me buy older current-gen games in bulk. Both BestBuy and Blockbuster actually keep the disks in the box without removing the original plasic covering the box. My local blockbuster even goes as far as to put a protective casing around the boxes. Also, I get my classic games special order. Shhhh.

I don't know why some of you go through the rigmoroll of going through the incompetance of Gamestop, they are always a pain to deal with.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AgentJ
@Snipzor said:
" That's why I never go to Gamestop/EBGames, I go to BestBuy. But when I want to buy older games, I have a deal with my local Blockbuster (Who makes most of its money through game rentals actually, I know the store inside out despite never working there) who let's me buy older current-gen games in bulk. Both BestBuy and Blockbuster actually keep the disks in the box without removing the original plasic covering the box. My local blockbuster even goes as far as to put a protective casing around the boxes. Also, I get my classic games special order. Shhhh.I don't know why some of you go through the rigmoroll of going through the incompetance of Gamestop, they are always a pain to deal with. "
Any chance you could get a hold of Valkyrie Profile 2 for the PS2? LOL
DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#19  Edited By DECA555

yea this is a major issue. 

Like at least a dozen of my boxs are fucked over because of this carelessness. 
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By tmthomsen

Let's start a forum petition against stickers on games!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By oldschool
@TMThomsen said:
" Let's start a forum petition against stickers on games! "
Signed  :-)

In Australia, it is EB Games that stickers everything.  I am seriously not a fan either.  Nothing more annoying than partial stickers and sticky gunk on the game box.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_A_Drain
@torus said:
"I've never understood why the box condition is so important to people. I keep all my disks in disk binders. "

I used to to that. Then I decided I hated it and I wanted all the boxes, instructions, etc in the same place.

Anyway. Forget Gamestop, this has to be the worst argument against gamestop I have ever heard, I mean, don't get me wrong I support all the normal arguments and their UK equivilents, but stickers? Jeesus. Everywhere over here does that, at least you can choose to ignore the one store that does it worst. There are many other things that imo rank much higher than stickers to be pissed off at gamestop for.

Now, everywhere I know of has stickers of similar quality, take them off soon and they are fine, more than 6 months or so and you might as well get a replacement case, sometimes they are stuck on so fucking strong it even warps the plastic when you peel them off. All you gotta do is calm down, peel carefully, get some rubbing alcohol and a cloth for the remaining stickyness (I use the same stuff I use to clean NES/etc carts) it doesnt always come off 100%, and if it looks like that's going to be the case i'll try my best then left it dry so it doesn't get stuck to other boxes on the shelf.

Now, what you should be pissed at (if they do it at Gamestop) is putting the fucking lables on the INSIDE of the case, directly onto the boxart cover (over the barcodes on the back, and side) as well as on the fucking front cover of the manual and sometimes on the disc. And worse still, sometimes they write P-owned or some variation thereof on the disc. I MEAN COME ON!!! WTF?!!?!

Also, why did you buy KOTOR 2? It's hardly a 'real classic' and Bioware didn't make it, Obsidion did, it's buggy as hell but the story is great (That's what you get when everyone but the programmers from Black Isle form a company, shitty programming). Although I never experienced it because I couldn't leave the first fucking room of the game due to a bug.

Stickers on the manual. What. The. Fuck.

Edit: Actually read the post now >.> Ok, you had the spine sticker as well. Sucks balls doesn't it? :) Over here it's a regular practice :\ Don't know about there.

Thankfully though, it seems no matter how old the thing is those usually come off fine if you have a flat surface and some patience. I've had games obviously left to rot for years and they peeled off just fine (unlike the one on the box itself)
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Tireyo

Gamestop does many things that people are not proud of, but the main thing Gamestop wants is to make money and that's what they get regardless of how rude the employees are or the condition of the game along with the box art of the game.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Jayge_
@Snipzor said:
" That's why I never go to Gamestop/EBGames, I go to BestBuy. But when I want to buy older games, I have a deal with my local Blockbuster (Who makes most of its money through game rentals actually, I know the store inside out despite never working there) who let's me buy older current-gen games in bulk. Both BestBuy and Blockbuster actually keep the disks in the box without removing the original plasic covering the box. My local blockbuster even goes as far as to put a protective casing around the boxes. Also, I get my classic games special order. Shhhh.I don't know why some of you go through the rigmoroll of going through the incompetance of Gamestop, they are always a pain to deal with. "
Lucky bastards. I applied to all of the Hollywood Videos and Blockbusters in town but they weren't really hiring. Now my job pays way more than I would ever get as a 17 year old in a retail chain (especially compared to when I worked at Target) but I still would have liked the priviledge of being able to do stuff for myself like that.

What I always used to hate was the sticker that comes over the little inlet that you put your finger in to open game boxes (especially 360 cases). I always used to damage the case plastic no matter what. Then, instead of peeling them off by the corner, I dug my finger into the little well and used my nail to get hold of the sticker, and then I ripped it off fine. Now, I have no troubles. Yay me.
skilzlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By skilzlost

and this is another reason why im started to be more willing to pay for d2d i.e steam.. my discs get scratched and my cases are usually wreced >< (sorry for spelling) before i even get them home..

altho  special editions like "the rad tin" (stalker) is always better to have than just something that is on a file like steam..

i think something needs to be done and this is one reason why onlive will apeal to people i think ive even heard them use it already..