The best consecutive days in gaming... 10 years ago this week?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai

1998 was a special year in gaming and many consider it to be the best ever, but I might have found the best consecutive days in gaming history... and it involves two of the biggest franchises that are highly respected.

One of the best games of all-time!
Also one of the best games off all-time!
On one side, we have Half-Life, released on November 20th, 1998... on the other, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, released on November 21st, 1998.  Both games are considered to be the cream of the crop, the best of the best, the pinnacle of gaming.  Ocarina of Time is often mentioned as the greatest ever, but there is a strong argument that Half-Life is even greater.  We can argue all day about which is better, but you can't deny the fact that these two games back-to-back are unstoppable.

So, was this the best 2-day period in the history of video games?  Let the fighting begin and have a joyous World Toilet Day!

Umm... seriously.

Correction... a little mix-up on the Half-Life date... it was apparently released on the 19th, not the 20th... so let's forget the consecutive days thing.  Still, an awesome week!
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By Dalai

1998 was a special year in gaming and many consider it to be the best ever, but I might have found the best consecutive days in gaming history... and it involves two of the biggest franchises that are highly respected.

On one side, we have Half-Life, released on November 20th, 1998... on the other, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, released on November 21st, 1998.  Both games are considered to be the cream of the crop, the best of the best, the pinnacle of gaming.  Ocarina of Time is often mentioned as the greatest ever, but there is a strong argument that Half-Life is even greater.  We can argue all day about which is better, but you can't deny the fact that these two games back-to-back are unstoppable.

So, was this the best 2-day period in the history of video games?  Let the fighting begin and have a joyous World Toilet Day!

Umm... seriously.

Correction... a little mix-up on the Half-Life date... it was apparently released on the 19th, not the 20th... so let's forget the consecutive days thing.  Still, an awesome week!
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Hmm... Can't remember release dates...

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Holy crap, they were released 1 day after the other? O_O That's amazing!

I don't know what other major games have had release dates close together like that, but wow!

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By thordain

Thats incredible. That has to be the best pair of games released simultaneously.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

I totally remember this now, and I was in heaven at the time with these games. R.I.P 1998, still the best year in gaming to me.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

And I never played HL1 and Majora's mask was better!

But as far as short spans of times and lots of games coming out goes, umm... look at the present, within a few weeks: LBP, Gears 2, Banjo, Left 4 Dead, Fable 2, Resistance 2, and Fallout 3

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gameboi

Some quality gaming pedigree, if I say so myself.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

While I'm loving L4D, and some of teh other releases in this short span, none of them equal OoT or Half Life coming out nearly day and date, and never will. A huge games start, as in first game released in a series that succeeds to this date, is far superior to any sequel. Half Life > every release this year on so many levels, and OoT I still find to be the single best Zelda game ever, and one of the best games ever made(I thought Majora's Mask was good too, just not better, but obviously, just two differing opinions.

E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By E_rock

I remember getting both of those games for christmas that year, oh what a happy child I was.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#10  Edited By dudacles

I wasn't even into gaming back then, being four years old 'n all.