• 163 results
#151 Edited by nate6858 (167 posts) -

The first answer that always comes to mind when I see this question is, "ICO."

#152 Posted by Nhoj_Sllew (180 posts) -

Alan Wake "It's not a lake, it's an ocean....". loved that shit

and I really dug the way Halo 3 ended

#153 Posted by Killerfridge (316 posts) -

Shit guys I just remembered the MGS3 credits music. So this too.

#154 Posted by Hunter5024 (5962 posts) -

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Classic tale told with a post apocalyptic perspective. The ending is pretty crazy, dealing with some Matrix style enslavement of humanity and the freeing of minds.

I thought the end of Enslaved was a pretty big mark against it. It almost felt like they didn't know what was good about their game. They'd spent hours and hours making me care about these characters, and then they got almost no closure whatsoever. Instead the ending focuses on their world, throwing in a big twist that's totally unoriginal, and unnecessary. I mean, the world was an interesting backdrop to be sure, but it certainly didn't deserve the spotlight over seeing some form of climax to Tripp and Monkey's story.

#155 Posted by afabs515 (1326 posts) -

999 fucked my brain

#156 Posted by ZolRoyce (835 posts) -

@shadowthrone said:

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Classic tale told with a post apocalyptic perspective. The ending is pretty crazy, dealing with some Matrix style enslavement of humanity and the freeing of minds.

I thought the end of Enslaved was a pretty big mark against it. It almost felt like they didn't know what was good about their game. They'd spent hours and hours making me care about these characters, and then they got almost no closure whatsoever. Instead the ending focuses on their world, throwing in a big twist that's totally unoriginal, and unnecessary. I mean, the world was an interesting backdrop to be sure, but it certainly didn't deserve the spotlight over seeing some form of climax to Tripp and Monkey's story.

I agree, (Enslaved spoiler talked followed by The last of us Spoiler talk up in this post) although it was a very interestingly done ending, and it was cool seeing the real actor on screen, I felt it was just too much and gave an ending to the game world, instead of the characters as you say, honestly I would have been completely 100% fine with a completely generic bad guy at the end, it didn't need to be a grand over the top conspiracy theory, Matrix alternate world crazy shit, it could have just been some dick who wanted post apocalyptic slaves, because, he was a dick, the who and why and what didn't matter, not at all, the closure between Trip and Monkey mattered and was pushed jarringly to the side.

I would compare it to The Last of Us *stop reading now if you have not played the last of us and would still like to as I will be talking about the ending in a vague tone, I wont say what happened, but best to skip over this anyways and given I already marked my post with the spoiler tags I want to make this warning super long so warning warning warning warning warning, I love warnings* okay so, in The Last of Us, the game ends with a very character driven moment, a closure to the characters story, the people who enjoyed the game generally agree it was a good ending, but imagine if instead of that simple character moment, what had happened at the end of The Last of Us was instead, holy shit, turns out that the fireflies were really run by a secret society of zombies that can talk and communicate like the I Am Legend vampire zombie things, and this whole thing was a set up to get to Ellie so they can use her blood to infect the rest of the world so that everyone will become zombies, and there is nothing you can do about it Joel! Hah hah hah! Now let us boss battle, oh, you won the battle, fireflies hq explodes, the end, run credits.
That is how I feel about Enslaved, they didn't end on an actual explosion, but it might as well have been with how much it made an impact on the characters, which was next to none.

I wont blather on and make this post much longer, but what I will say is, while I can't think of an ending I really liked right now (Deadly Premonition gets a nod from me though for making me realize at the end, holy shit, I've come to care about these characters and what is going on and OH GOD NO WHAT'S GOING ON.)

I will say though, best ending music of all time? Sniper: Ghost Warrior. You're welcome everyone, you're welcome.

#157 Edited by Hunter5024 (5962 posts) -

@zolroyce: Exactly. I think it's just important to know which part of your story to focus on. For both of those games the characters were the most engaging part, Naughty Dog knew this, Ninja Theory did not.

#158 Posted by Karmosin (223 posts) -

I think I'll have to add 999 to my list now that i've played it. My mind got fucked mercilessly.

#159 Posted by biggiedubs (497 posts) -

I don't really get the love for 'mindfuck' endings. They just seem cheap to me, because you usually have no chance of ever seeing them coming. I like my endings to be earned, and to at least show us how the protagonist has changed / not changed at all throughout the story. (And preferably without any exposition, fucking Bioshock Infinite.)

That's why I've always liked the end section of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. It came back around to the beginning, gave you some new and exciting that was happening, then even somewhat congratulated you for coming this far. The antagonist finally gets what he deserves, in an event of incredibly dramatic irony, then we learn how CJ changed compared to Big Smoke / Sweet. Done.

The ending of Metro 2033 was great too, specifically because it played into the themes that the rest of the game was focused on. I wish I had gotten the option to get the enlightened ending, but I was fine with the ending I got.

#160 Posted by Berserker976 (388 posts) -

Best overall ending? Last of Us

Best from a story standpoint? MGS3

And an honorable mention for Infamous, because that twist was awesome.

I have to say though, the love for RDR's ending kind of baffles me. I mean (RDR spoilers) they kill off the main character, sure, but it's not like that's never been done before. I think it would have been way cooler if they had ended it Butch Cassidy style, have Marston come out of the barn and freeze frame, sounds of gunfire, cut to credits. Ok, maybe not THAT blatant but still, it'd be more interesting to me than what they did.

#161 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -
#162 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus had a great fucking ending. All of you people are bad people for not having mentioned it once.

#164 Posted by Revolver (84 posts) -

Muv luv Alternative had an epic bittersweet ending

you fight aliens that took out 5 billion people on earth

It was pretty much just like mass effect 2's suicide mission

#165 Posted by The_Grindilow (433 posts) -

Gotta be Portal 2 for me, with Red Dead just behind.

Breaking bad season 4 is up there too, and that's not even a game.

#166 Posted by Veektarius (5018 posts) -

I agree with a lot of the stuff tossed out here so far.

ME1, Bioshock Infinite, Spec Ops, FFX

Some others:

Halo Reach, Summoner, Soul Reaver 2