• 57 results
#1 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

So i just noticed an article about this gaming chair:  

Its called The Emperor. A hydraulic operated gaming rig which can have up to 3 screens attached to it. Inbuilt Bose speakers (which is pretty cool i guess) and LED lighting. As well as a cup holder and chick repelling ability built in.

All this would set you back $6000.  

My question is, why not buy a reclining chair and Bose speakers and then spend the rest of the $6000 you've got on upgrading your PC or buying games, or hell i dont know anything else?  

I mean its pretty cool that it wouldnt take too much to make it look like a droid from star wars but is there actually any benefit to this atall to justify the $6000 price tag?

Would anyone on the GB forums actually buy this?
#2 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

The price is fine for those who can just afford ti spend 6000 on something random.  
Looks kinda weird for a "PC chair" though, I could probably buy that just to have it around but my guess is that it wouldn't get used again after the first month or two.

#3 Posted by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

@CptChiken said:

So i just noticed an article about this gaming chair: It's called The Emperor.
Is there actually any benefit to this atall to justify the $6000 price tag?

I think you answered your own question.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Needs more H.R. Geiger BS all over it.

#6 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Nothing else needs to be said.

GIVE ME THAT FUCKING CHAIR.

#7 Edited by Hero_Swe (1205 posts) -

Oh shit...I want that...I mean if I had 6000 I'd probrably upgrade my pc and shit first, but if I was dirty rich. I'd get it to brag.

That is the motherfucking golden throne right there, that's what the emperor sits on.

#8 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

I have yet to really see any variation on these that look even remotely comfortable. The price isn't that insane, though. A really good office chair easily runs a thousand dollars and upward. A good office desk (especially one capable of holding several monitors, a computer, extra space, and being height-adjustable) easily runs a few thousand dollars. So, a good office setup is going to run you almost as much as this and a great one (especially if you want your desk to hold not only multiple monitors, but multiple machines as well as being electric - so you don't have to whip out a hand crank to adjust the height from standing to sitting all the time) will run you more.

However . . . this particular item is a fucking waste of that same money. If you spend the same amount to build a good office environment, you would get a much more durable and comfortable office chair, a beter desk, and you wouldn't look like a moron. I really wonder how these people keep selling enough of these gimmicks to cover the costs of design, fabrication, delivery, assembly, marketing, etc.

#9 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

I'm honest when I say I don't even want that 'thing'.

Having a table is almot a necessity lol.

#10 Posted by Danniku (15 posts) -

@CptChiken said:

As well as a cup holder and chick repelling ability built in.

I'm laughing at the idea that this would repel chicks. The fact that it's $6000 would rake in females because it obviously means you're a rich enough bastard to buy them as many jewel-encrusted items as they want.

I'd pay $6000 for a glorified cupholder though, definitely.

#11 Posted by Sjupp (1912 posts) -

lol, for that price I could probably hire someone create a small house specifically made for gaming. I'm good.

#12 Posted by Rattle618 (1456 posts) -

I´ll give you a hundred bucks for it, not a penny more.

#13 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Why bother? Hardly any games will support it, assuming the hydraulics need games designed to use them. Pass.

and BOSE speakers suck. They're called "Buy Other Sound Equipment" for a reason.

#14 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@Branthog said:

I have yet to really see any variation on these that look even remotely comfortable. The price isn't that insane, though. A really good office chair easily runs a thousand dollars and upward. A good office desk (especially one capable of holding several monitors, a computer, extra space, and being height-adjustable) easily runs a few thousand dollars. So, a good office setup is going to run you almost as much as this and a great one (especially if you want your desk to hold not only multiple monitors, but multiple machines as well as being electric - so you don't have to whip out a hand crank to adjust the height from standing to sitting all the time) will run you more.

However . . . this particular item is a fucking waste of that same money. If you spend the same amount to build a good office environment, you would get a much more durable and comfortable office chair, a beter desk, and you wouldn't look like a moron. I really wonder how these people keep selling enough of these gimmicks to cover the costs of design, fabrication, delivery, assembly, marketing, etc.

If i was gunna spend 1000s on a desk i'd want that to be mahogany. But yeah i agree with you that i'd rather have a office set up it is just more classy, versatile and useful.
#15 Posted by GoofyGoober (933 posts) -

Reminds me of what JP from Grandmas boy sat in.

#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@CptChiken said:

My question is, why not buy a reclining chair and Bose speakers and then spend the rest of the $6000 you've got on upgrading your PC or buying games, or hell i dont know anything else?

Well, bose speakers and a good reclining chair, plus three monitors already cuts it close to 6000$ So I guess if you were crazy, a complete package with a cup holder, keyboard and mouse mounts and other nonsense could be worth it.

Personally if I had 6000$ to spend like that there'd be no point in spending that on PC upgrades. I could buy 3 computers that would run anything on full. Nah. I'd want to spend 6000$ on one chair. You always used to see those 6000$ massage chairs at places like The Sharper Image or something.

#17 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

I would buy it, but only to keep away the legions of women that constantly follow me around.

#18 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

Jeff needs to buy it for science.

#19 Posted by StarvingGamer (8560 posts) -

If I was rich as hell and also still somehow as into games as I currently am, I would buy the fuck out of that chair.

#20 Posted by Winternet (8060 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

Jeff needs to buy it for science.

YES!

#21 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

@CptChiken said:

@Branthog said:

If i was gunna spend 1000s on a desk i'd want that to be mahogany. But yeah i agree with you that i'd rather have a office set up it is just more classy, versatile and useful.

Problem is, it's hard to have class and functionality both in an office desk. When you're going to spend half your life working at it, you want something that will adjust to the height you need and also be able to easily raise it so that you can stand at your desk. That raises the price, because of the mechanics involved. If you want it electric (so you press a button, instead of finding and inserting a handcrank every time you adjust it), that's more. And then comes the problem of how much weight it can handle. Because of the adjustable mechanics, you're often looking at shockingly low limitations (like 80lbs). And all of this means the nice classy Don Draper mahogany desk is out of the question, because these things are usually made out of metal, formica, glass, carbon, etc.

I suppose you could have one made to look a little like a really awesome classic wood desk and still have the size and features you want in an all-day office desk, but you'd probably have to do it totally custom . . . and that'd be insanely expensive, no doubt.

It's actually rather disappointing how expensive quality office furniture is (and, like a monitor, if you're going to spend half your life in front of it you want it to be the best quality you can reasonably afford). I guess the reason it's so expensive is that it's usually not the guy working from home paying for these things. More than 90% of their sales are probably to corporations where spending a lot and doing it in bulk is just what they come to expect. :/

The most comfortable office chair I ever had was about $1,500. Far cheaper than many options out there. It was essentially a semi-truck chair, put on a heavy hydraulic lift and wheels. Ridiculously comfortable (truck drivers have amazing seats in their cabs). I'd take it over those Aerons we were all going nuts over in silicon valley during the late 90s.

#22 Posted by BeachThunder (12446 posts) -

Looks like something Razor would make.

#23 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -

the contraception of the future

#24 Posted by Brodehouse (10138 posts) -

I would like a recliner with a good armrest into a mousepad thing going on.

I actually do sit in a recliner for PC games, the mousepad on the armrest is kind of questionable occasionally.

#25 Posted by geirr (2716 posts) -

We got a recliner once and then proceeded to a depot store and picked up some fat wheels for it.

Still my favorite PC chair ever.

#26 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -

I wouldn't; that chair looks like it would insert electrodes into your spinal column.

#27 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I still dont care about multiple monitors until they can fix the bezels inbetween

#28 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@Branthog said:

@CptChiken said:

@Branthog said:

Problem is, it's hard to have class and functionality both in an office desk. When you're going to spend half your life working at it, you want something that will adjust to the height you need and also be able to easily raise it so that you can stand at your desk. That raises the price, because of the mechanics involved. If you want it electric (so you press a button, instead of finding and inserting a handcrank every time you adjust it), that's more. And then comes the problem of how much weight it can handle. Because of the adjustable mechanics, you're often looking at shockingly low limitations (like 80lbs). And all of this means the nice classy Don Draper mahogany desk is out of the question, because these things are usually made out of metal, formica, glass, carbon, etc.

I suppose you could have one made to look a little like a really awesome classic wood desk and still have the size and features you want in an all-day office desk, but you'd probably have to do it totally custom . . . and that'd be insanely expensive, no doubt.

It's actually rather disappointing how expensive quality office furniture is (and, like a monitor, if you're going to spend half your life in front of it you want it to be the best quality you can reasonably afford). I guess the reason it's so expensive is that it's usually not the guy working from home paying for these things. More than 90% of their sales are probably to corporations where spending a lot and doing it in bulk is just what they come to expect. :/

The most comfortable office chair I ever had was about $1,500. Far cheaper than many options out there. It was essentially a semi-truck chair, put on a heavy hydraulic lift and wheels. Ridiculously comfortable (truck drivers have amazing seats in their cabs). I'd take it over those Aerons we were all going nuts over in silicon valley during the late 90s.

I had never considered the adjustability in desks but now i think about it, it would be a good function to have. Long days sitting down i often feel the need to stretch my legs but dont always have the time if i am working to a deadline. Being able to stand and work would be great. I guess that i am going to have to put far more thought into setting up and office space when i do. I'd always thought i'd get a classic desk which would set me back maybe a couple of grand for the mahogany ones. Thanks for softening that blow. 
#29 Posted by TobbRobb (4853 posts) -

If there is any way that the keyboard feels comfortable in that thing, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

IT'S CALLED: THE MOTHERFUCKING EMPEROR!

I want it.

PS: Just realised I'm piss poor and will only have something like that in my wildest fever dreams.

#30 Edited by Branthog (5597 posts) -

@CptChiken said:

@Branthog said:

@CptChiken said:

@Branthog said:

I had never considered the adjustability in desks but now i think about it, it would be a good function to have. Long days sitting down i often feel the need to stretch my legs but dont always have the time if i am working to a deadline. Being able to stand and work would be great. I guess that i am going to have to put far more thought into setting up and office space when i do. I'd always thought i'd get a classic desk which would set me back maybe a couple of grand for the mahogany ones. Thanks for softening that blow.

Stand-up desks have become a big thing the last few years, but you really want one that adjusts so you can have the choice. You can get a professional quality adjustable (electric I think, even) desk that's pretty sizable and in a few different shapes for maybe $2,500. I think the manual adjustable kind saves you $500-$100 off that. I wish I could find one of the main sites I looked at with some of these (I spent a lot of time discussing options with their sales people). Anyway, you can go down a deep rabbit-hole looking for quality office furniture. There are usually "home made" options that you'll find around online, too (especially for standing-desks), but I think if I'm spending my entire life at the desk (and I do), I want the real deal.

If you pro-rate it over the number of years you'll probably use it and the number of hours you'll spend using it, I think office furniture becomes an important investment. Especially as we get older. The weird fucking situations we found comfortable in when we were teenagers don't fly so much later on, when our backs and heads regret it every morning. :)

By the way, I do recall one of the places. It's where I bought my favorite chair, even -- Office Organix. They have a website that you can shop around for all sorts of office stuff, geared toward the ergonomic minded.

By the way, they also have some alternatives to this $6,000 piece of shit. Why sit in that thing with those three monitors, when you could do THIS?

Or even better. THE ULTIMATE IN LAZINESS!

#31 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

If I had enough money to throw 6000 bones on then I'd much rather give it to a noble cause like charity.

#32 Posted by blackbird415 (778 posts) -

@GoofyGoober said:

Reminds me of what JP from Grandmas boy sat in.

first thought when seeing it

#33 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

It needs a hydraulic powered fleshlight

#34 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

@Gargantuan said:

It needs a hydraulic powered fleshlight

Why not just spend a little extra and get into teledildonics?

#35 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

A recliner and bose sound system doesn't look as awesome as that fucking chair. If I wasn't going to be moving to England this summer I would be all over that thing.

#36 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

If I had an obscene amount of money, sure.

I don't.

#37 Posted by GoofyGoober (933 posts) -

Even if I had 6000 to just blow, I am still not sure I would buy that thing. Seems like the type of thing you would sit in for like an hour or two and then never come back.

#38 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Why does that 'arm' reaching over your head even exist? For extra leg room?

#39 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

There are a lot of better ways to spend $6000.

#40 Edited by Fattony12000 (7583 posts) -

It's a still a piece of shit, even back in 2008 when it cost $40,000 it was a piece of shit. Also, this is quite late as a thing, the original that made these went down the shitter or something and it's made by Canadians. So it's about the least deserving thing on the planet worthy of the title of 'Emperor'.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/07/plan-your-world/

If you think the size of the throne is a measure of the size of the man, you should probably readjust your sense of self-worth. But if you love to show off your enormous wealth, this Emperor-size chair just might sate your thirst for powerful symbols. That is, until the next supermodel comes along.

The Novelquest Emperor is a fully rigged entertainment workstation system with three monitors, various communication devices, a powerful computer, and full-spectrum lights. It also rotates just like Emperor Palpatine’s throne from Star Wars, and it can be pre-programmed to take the rotations for up to eight hours.

Despite this, the cost is absolutely irredeemable: About $40,000. For a Windows Vista version. You say you want a Mac in there? Add another grand.

Is there any way this thing is worth it? Check out the specs and you decide:

It includes three synchronized 19" LCD monitors (VGA, with vertical scanning frequencies at 56 ~ 75 Hz.) Monitor resolution at 1280 x 1024.

A 7" LCD touch screen control center that adjusts the lights, the airflow, and sounds (who knows what) emanating from the chair. When the master decides to get in, on his time, the tail section of the chair rises up, and then it flips down like a jet cockpit.

It also has a system at the level of a top gaming PC: An NVIDIA Quadro

FX 1600M 512MB TurboCache, TV Tuner, a 2.60 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo T9300

processor, 4 GB of DDR2 memory, and a top Blu-ray drive.

Not done. It has Recaro seat with a vent in the headrest, where a HEPA air purification system claims to reduce airborne bacteria by 99.7%. I will stop now and say that there’s more, but Emperor

Palpatine would strike me down from space.

Maybe I’m very wrong, but at quick glance, all of those items, separately, should come in at around $10-15,000. So yes, this is the type of object that is awe-inspiring and gut busting at the same time. But it’s not life-giving, so I think I’ll skip it.

How many other things you think you could buy with $40,000? Let us know in the comments below.

#41 Edited by kgb0515 (405 posts) -

What's even MORE extreme is that there was a video on XBL for a company that makes gaming "pods" for the ultra-rich for about $100,000. The thing is basically a shell with speakers, a chair and a monitor. I would buy one just to keep people from bothering me. Here's a link to the video: http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/TechWithTina/The-Ultimate-Gaming-Pod-OVEI

#42 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -

@Sooty said:

and BOSE speakers suck. They're called "Buy Other Sound Equipment" for a reason.

No high's, no low's, you got Bose.

#43 Posted by rac191 (1 posts) -

@CptChiken said:

So i just noticed an article about this gaming chair:

Its called The Emperor. A hydraulic operated gaming rig which can have up to 3 screens attached to it. Inbuilt Bose speakers (which is pretty cool i guess) and LED lighting. As well as a cup holder and chick repelling ability built in. All this would set you back $6000. My question is, why not buy a reclining chair and Bose speakers and then spend the rest of the $6000 you've got on upgrading your PC or buying games, or hell i dont know anything else? I mean its pretty cool that it wouldnt take too much to make it look like a droid from star wars but is there actually any benefit to this atall to justify the $6000 price tag? Would anyone on the GB forums actually buy this?

Hello guys

I have read the thread and i enjoyed every post cos, when something so much expensive then its worth is launched in market people react in so many different & funny ways and i enjoy it very much.

i would like to reveal some facts about this droid chair.

picture posted by CptChiken is Emperor 200 and price of that chair is CAD 46,150 or $46,175 ONLY

source:- http://www.mwelab.com/emperor-200/overview

well don't be disappointed if u had plans for buying this chair and saved $6,000. there is one bit lower variant of above chair which is Emperor 1510 and costs CAD 6,200 or $6,203

source:- http://www.mwelab.com/emperor-1510/overview

so now i would like to see peoples response to new information.

other useful links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5t4mx-ANF8

P.S:- sorry for my bad English & great topic CptChiken

#44 Posted by Driadon (3030 posts) -

No space for my flightstick?! No sale!

#45 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3089 posts) -

Sure, why not?

#46 Posted by Grillbar (1914 posts) -

ahh i does not work as a masage chair aswell. then fuck it

#47 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Branthog said:

Wut? Unless you're a robotics specialists or a mech. eng. how do you possibly build a hydraulic chair from off the shelf parts? This a simulation chair for simmers and rich enthusiast VR fans and gamers. This isn't comparable to off the shelf dreck.

#48 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -
#49 Edited by returnofjake (232 posts) -

Where do I put my ashtray? Does the cup holder hold my big gulp? 2 pints of squash are always needed nearby.

#50 Posted by BBQBram (2294 posts) -

Hey that seems like the dumbest thing anyone could ever buy, great!