• 79 results
#1 Posted by Zevvion (2443 posts) -

I've been playing Crysis 2 lately (steam sale, yeah) and it's really awesome. The game looks amazing and using the suit to play around with enemies is some of the most fun I've had in shooters. But I noticed the AI isn't that great. Not bad, just... whenever you decloak, take a quick headshot and immediately cloak again, they act as if they didn't see you even if it was right in front of them.

There's more stuff like that and although it suits the gameplay really well, I became interested in playing FEAR again. I remember that game had the best AI I've ever seen in a shooter. I went back to it and it's still the best I've ever seen in a shooter. Granted, I don't play a lot of shooters, which leads me to the question:

What's the best AI you've ever experienced in a shooter?

#2 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

Hard to say sense I play alot of games with great A.I...

#3 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I always remember Halo 1 having incredible A.I. when it came out. Granted A.I. has come along way since then but that is the game that always comes to mind for me.

#4 Posted by Zevvion (2443 posts) -

Could you name one (or a couple) where the AI really impressed you?

#5 Edited by RazielCuts (2997 posts) -

@canteu said:

I always remember Halo 1 having incredible A.I. when it came out. Granted A.I. has come along way since then but that is the game that always comes to mind for me.

You sunk my battleship took my answer.

I remember Fear's AI was spoken about pretty highly at the time too but I never played it.

#6 Posted by Zevvion (2443 posts) -

Now that I think of it, I remember being so disappointed at Rage's poor sales, because that game had great AI as well.

#7 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

I'd also have to say Halo: CE - the way Elites dodge and use cover, flank and suppress, or how grunts run away when their leader is killed. It feels like enemies constantly adapt and react to the player.

Reach's AI is also impressive as it was Bungie's last use of the Halo engine. I always enjoyed loading up a game of firefight with dozens of enemies and then pulling back the camera in theater mode to witness all the chaos.

#8 Posted by Veektarius (5065 posts) -

Halo's AI is still the best of any shooter I play, though it's a bit too predictable in terms of having scripted reactions. So few shooters actually bother with AI in the heyday of modern military shooters, though; it's mostly just shooting galleries it seems like.

#9 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@zevvion said:

@falserelic said:

Could you name one (or a couple) where the AI really impressed you?

The Remake of Resident Evil had some good A.I

#10 Posted by RedCream (694 posts) -

The first F.E.A.R has superb AI.

#11 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@redcream said:

This. It definitely has the best A.I. I've seen in any shooters. Now if only Half-Life 2's A.I. was just as good as what they showed in the early gameplay videos...

#12 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1054 posts) -

Stalker had pretty good AI as well.

#13 Edited by csl316 (9748 posts) -

Yep, still going with Fear. They did stuff in that game that just made me go "hmm, IMPRESSIVE!" Made Extreme kind of impossible.

But Halo has fun, challenging AI, as well. That's why it keeps me coming back.

#14 Posted by Slaegar (746 posts) -

@canteu said:

I always remember being amazed at the depth of combat technique that our finest soldiers possessed. Skills such as shoot twice roll, shoot twice, roll, shoot twice, roll.

Rage seemed to have pretty good AI when it came to characters interacting with their environments.

How about them old Quake bots, though?

#15 Edited by Scrawnto (2472 posts) -

Yeah, I think F.E.A.R. is still the best I've seen, hands down. I can't really pin down exactly what it was, but I remember being really impressed when I played that game in a way that I haven't been since.

#16 Posted by xyzygy (10091 posts) -

Halo's AI is still the best. The way they dodge everything on Legendary and will wait for you to come out into the open is great. The Prometheans in Halo 4 were probably the best AIs in the series so far.

#17 Edited by Zevvion (2443 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

Yeah, I think F.E.A.R. is still the best I've seen, hands down. I can't really pin down exactly what it was, but I remember being really impressed when I played that game in a way that I haven't been since.

I've played a little bit of it again like I said, and it's really unscripted. Sure, the number of enemies is scripted and when they will show up. But I enter a room, 3 guys jump in through the windows, take cover and start firing. I get killed, reload and move to a different position. Now, only one jumps through the window, takes cover and starts firing. After 10 seconds, I'm taking fire as I've apparently been flanked by the other two.

They truly react to what you do and they aren't there as barricades for your progression like in other games. They are there to take you out.

#18 Edited by BoOzak (999 posts) -

The AI in the original Crysis was a lot better in my opinion. Sure it'd occasionally fail and someone would end up getting caught in terrain or just flat out ignore you. But the way they were able to call in reinforcements with flares and traverse the enviroment using vehicles etc. was impressive.

Crysis 2 was dumbed down in every single way.

AI in most games isnt very good. That's something that I really hope improves next generation. But i'm not holding my breath.

#19 Posted by believer258 (12308 posts) -

The first F.E.A.R. still has not been beaten in terms of enemy AI. There are other games with good AI, but FEAR still wipes the floor with them.

#20 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

Why not just make a game that pits other game's AI against each other and we can REALLY find out who is the best?

#21 Posted by Guns_N_Roses_Child (12 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

I would go as far as to say that the STALKER series has the best AI I've in any shooter thus far! GSC Game World pretty much perfected the AI in Call of Pripyat. Being open world, it was challenging when the human AI would take cover and move between cover based on your location. They also used squad tactics too, the way they flanked you was downright scary! Half of the team would keep your fire focused on them, while the other half somehow would stay out of your line of sight, long enough to sneak up behind you with a point blank shotgun blast.

#22 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2735 posts) -

It's not a shooter but Condemned had some great AI imo. They would do whatever they could to hide and scare the shit outta you, which I thought was really cool.

#23 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3675 posts) -

I dunno guys, generally speaking AI just blows left and right, especially in FPS. It's not the gene, just the perspective. Because you are the camera it's often so easy to know when you cross a trigger line or when your line of sight is *not* triggering enemies it should, etc.

Enemies with good aim and path finding is one thing, but that's hardly "amazing AI". I think amazing AI is a combo of those two very mechanical things working in concert with great animations, etc. RAGE does stick out from recent games in that regard.

MGS isn't a shooter, but the AI is great at looking "alive" in those games. The way enemies search a room, call for back up on the radio (that you can shoot or disable), the way they drop guns when shot in the arm, the fact that they can notice your shadow or visibly give each other signals, the way the shield guards walk forward ever so slowly. The way some enemies just run away rather then confront you. Pretty neat stuff.

Most importantly, they get terrified when you stick em up and threaten to shoot them in the junk, which is probably the most realistic AI behaviour ever coded.

#24 Edited by mosespippy (4585 posts) -

It's a little sad that the two games bing mentioned over and over in this thread are both over nine years old. With all the advances in computing power since then ow have we not pushed AI further?

I remember in college showing off the AI of Killzone 2 multiplayer bots to some friends still using their PS2. They were blown away by their use of the map, such as choke points or flag running pathing as well as how each bot seemed to have different objectives.

#25 Posted by me3639 (1869 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

I would go as far as to say that the STALKER series has the best AI I've in any shooter thus far! GSC Game World pretty much perfected the AI in Call of Pripyat. Being open world, it was challenging when the human AI would take cover and move between cover based on your location. They also used squad tactics too, the way they flanked you was downright scary! Half of the team would keep your fire focused on them, while the other half somehow would stay out of your line of sight, long enough to sneak up behind you with a point blank shotgun blast.

Agree S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is still the one that i can think was the most challenging of A.I. opponenets.

#26 Posted by mano521 (1238 posts) -

fear and rage. thats about all i can think of. I highly recommend rage though. I was pretty impressed with all the ducking and weaving those dudes were doing

#27 Posted by gaminghooligan (1535 posts) -

F.E.A.R. had really good AI iirc. Max Payne 3 has its moments, I've lost dudes in the chaos only to find they've moved to flank me or ran to find more suitable cover.

#28 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

The original Crysis on the hardest difficulty had some pretty intelligent AI. Best part was they spoke Korean. So unless you speak Korean you had no idea what their plan of attack was.

#29 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Can't say it's the quality of the AI or just how well all the mechanics and overall design comes together, but Halo offers by far the most fun firefights against AI in any shooter game.

#30 Posted by Brendan (8282 posts) -

Its Halo for me. The AI gets better with every single one

#31 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

@brendan said:

Its Halo for me. The AI gets better with every single one

#32 Edited by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

A lot of people have said it, but F.E.A.R ai has yet to be bettered.

#33 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

F.E.A.R.

Still the best.

#34 Posted by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

I'm dumbfounded, I can't think of or remember AI behavior from games ;o

All I remember is that it's still underwhelming.

@canteu said:

Has it, though? HAS IT?

I think not!

#35 Edited by nabokovfan87 (203 posts) -

metro is balls hard, best gameplay is SWAT 4, best "no you need skill to win dude" is old rs/gr on hard.

I agree fear is phenomenal, but SWAT 4 spanks it directly in terms of enemy ai.

#36 Edited by pweidman (2384 posts) -

I thought the friendly team AI in the two Rainbow Six Vegas games was pretty great. The enemy AI in the T-hunt mode were pretty good too...always be ambushing.

#37 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Unreal Tournament 2k4 bot matches are still satisfying. Maybe it's because of my play style but I never got played by the FEAR AI. Sure, they were crack shots even when I leapt from behind corners in bullet time but I don't remember any fancy flanking maneuvers.

#38 Posted by Darson (455 posts) -

I think the friendly AI in SWAT 4 is pretty good. It's hard to say what really makes AI good depending on the game's direction. But for SWAT, other than expertly clearing rooms, they constantly adapt to unexpected situations like a suspect bursting into a room you just cleared, sometimes giving chase but sometimes not since it might screw up the whole mission. When they work correctly they seem very professional and real.

#39 Edited by Unilad (582 posts) -

F.E.A.R. Was awesome in it's day. Actually noticed how smart they were.

Now, nothing.

#40 Posted by Zevvion (2443 posts) -

It's a little sad that the two games bing mentioned over and over in this thread are both over nine years old. With all the advances in computing power since then ow have we not pushed AI further?

I remember in college showing off the AI of Killzone 2 multiplayer bots to some friends still using their PS2. They were blown away by their use of the map, such as choke points or flag running pathing as well as how each bot seemed to have different objectives.

I don't think it's necessarily a power issue. Sure, more power means the possibility of better AI. But FEAR already proved that great AI can be done with, now, outdated tech. Also, Rage made a pretty good case this generation.

I really think it's up to the devs to create great AI. They just aren't doing it for the most part. It must be really hard.

#41 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

It is still F.E.A.R and at the rate we're going it's probably always going to be.

#42 Posted by Shortbreadtom (885 posts) -

Rage got a lot of things wrong, but the AI and the enemy animations were fantastic

#43 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

FEAR was such a solid game from top to bottom. I remember playing the pre-release demo dozens of times just for the combat.

#44 Posted by VierasTalo (963 posts) -

Glad to see so much love for FEAR's AI. I was sure I would be the first to mention it. It seems kind of forgotten in most places.

#45 Posted by BisonHero (7283 posts) -

@klei said:

@redcream said:

This. It definitely has the best A.I. I've seen in any shooters.

I remember this being more annoying in F.E.A.R. than anything. You literally couldn't get a kill with a grenade if it touched the ground, because the A.I. would immediately scatter the instant a grenade left your hand, and at best you might graze one guy. However, grenades detonated upon touch, so the most effective thing was to just hurl one directly at their chest from about 15 feet away, like some kind of psychotic MLB pitcher. Still, it didn't really feel like actual grenade tactics. Their spider-sense was too cheap.

Otherwise, I agree that it was cool that they would actually flank you, as most areas in F.E.A.R. had a bunch of branching paths, and they could usually be counted on to take one of them and surprise you.

#46 Edited by TobbRobb (4879 posts) -

Yeah as much as I don't want to admit it, Fear still takes the cake. And fuck, it doesn't even look like anyone else is trying to take it.

#47 Edited by leebmx (2236 posts) -

@scrawnto: For me it was the way they would use cover to mercelessly flank you and cut down your options. I remember one early part in a warehouse with 4 or so guys where I was just expecting to come in and go pop, pop, pop, just taking down the tops of their heads over crates or cover, then they all split apart and used all the cover (boxes and shelves I think) to get around my sides and back very efficiently. It felt very much as if I was fighting beings with some sense of how to strategise and take options, although I have no idea if it is set routines or what.

EDIT: Rage was really good as well but in a much more, just people coming at you style - it always makes me sit up and take notice when the enemies don't just sit there and wait for you to hit them as they poke out of cover.

The lack of real improvements in A.I. over other aspects of gaming does make me wonder. Is it just much harder to do, do we need better tech (so will next gen see an improvement) or do designers just think that gamers would rather go on a duck hunt than actually have to think and change up their options. I wonder sometimes if designers think that gamers just want easy mastery of their enemy rather than an actual challenge.

#48 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

F.E.A.R had good AI when that came out. Enemies not acting like complete idiots just charging at you or just standing on the grenade you just threw is a good thing.
Rage as well but it's sad that the AI was wasted on the rest of the game.

#49 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6286 posts) -

Killzone 2 has the best AI in an FPS by a fair amount, which makes the final boss fight that much more satisfying. Vanquish has role associated AI that works well and makes the enemy variety function in an interesting fashion.

#50 Edited by Svenzon (746 posts) -

Rage got a lot of things wrong, but the AI and the enemy animations were fantastic

I hope more developers do AI like that. The way the enemies used the environments was really cool.