• 127 results
#1 Posted by Alo81 (82 posts) -

I'm looking for other great podcasts to listen to. I listen to the bombcast and the tested podcast. What else do you guys consider worth listening to?

I'm open to gaming and non gaming podcasts, just entertainment is appreciated.

#2 Posted by Ramone (2960 posts) -

There seriously needs to be a sticky called 'Podcast Recommendations'. Anyway:

-MBMBAM

-This Year Collection

-The Mighty Electronic Box (I would be disappointed in myself if I didn't plug my own podcast every time someone makes one of these threads)

#3 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I've found myself enjoying Tested's podcast as much as, if not more than the bombcast recently. They have many more tangents.

#4 Posted by benson (318 posts) -
#5 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

TalkRadar by the crew over at Gamesradar

FrogPants Studio's Podcasts such as 'The Moring Stream' and 'The Final Score'

Spill.com Movie & Games Audio Reviews and especially 'The League of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen'

Sadly - I don't listen to podcasts much these days. No commute and no 'boring enough' videogame aka MMORPG aka World of Warcraft, which made me a podcast listener to begin with. These days I usually fall asleep to the sultry voices of podcast hosts, so mostly I listen the first 10 minutes of any given podcast before I hand over podcast-listening duty to my subconcious.

#6 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

I like the Mega64 podcast and Invisible Walls is sometimes alright but I usually skip most of the stuff.

#7 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

The Comedy Button is hilarious. 8-4 radio and Weekend Confirmed are great too. Love Rebel FM as well, but Arthur Gies can be a bit grating

#8 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

the only other i listen to regularly is The Weekend Confirmed Podcast.

#9 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3805 posts) -

MBMBaM is required listening. Rooster Teeth podcast is great. The Screened podcast is great. If you're interested in game soundtrack composers check out Top Score with Emily Reese its awesome, she's interviewed Marty O'Donnel, Jesper Kid,
Inon Zur, lots of great composers. We're Alive is an ongoing radio drama about a zombie apocolypse. Great production good acting, definitely worth a listen.

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Mysterious Universe is really well made, it's probably the most professional podcast I've ever heard.

They cover paranormal stuff, ufo sightings, cryptozoology, etc, but without any of the tinfoil hat wearing paranoia you might expect from something like this, it's very entertaining.

#11 Edited by Talis12 (488 posts) -

@DjCmeP said:

I like the Mega64 podcast and Invisible Walls is sometimes alright but I usually skip most of the stuff.

i cant stand Shane from IW.. but Marcus is cool

i like epicbattleaxe.com prefer The Axefactor over EpicBattleCry though

#12 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

@sideshow: Yeah I'm not a fan of Shane either but I like Marcus.

#13 Posted by Chris86 (65 posts) -

This American Life is incredible.

The BBC Film Review Show with Mark Kermode is by far my favourite film podcast.

WTF is great if you like comedy.

If you like video games but haven't yet heard A Life Well Wasted then you simply must check it out. There are only a few episodes but there's nothing else like it.

#14 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Chris86: I like WTF, but got tired of the advertising segments, so I stopped listening.  I second This American Life.  If you like food, The Splendid Table (also an NPR production) is pretty damn awesome. 
#15 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Self promotion http://www.hipcast.com/podcast/H25gPhCs

#16 Posted by Chris86 (65 posts) -

@mfpantst said:

@Chris86: I like WTF, but got tired of the advertising segments, so I stopped listening. I second This American Life. If you like food, The Splendid Table (also an NPR production) is pretty damn awesome.

I could be wrong here, but I was under the impression that This American Life wasn't actually produced by NPR but was made by WBEZ Chicago, a Chicago public radio company/group/thing (I'm from the UK so I'm not entirely sure how these things work in America.)

From the little I've read online about This American Life it seems that it's a common misunderstanding that people think NPR make it. (Or maybe they do make it and I just don't understand how your public radio works over there.)

#17 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

The Comedy Button is probably my favourite podcast next to GFW and the Bombcast. (gamespy after 100 is totally included in the comedy button)

I used to enjoy Rebel FM but Arthur's Festival of Frown made me stop.

#18 Posted by Nate_is_my_fake_name (133 posts) -

Both the Joystiq podcast and Weekend Confirmed are pretty good. If you're big into game soundtracks, check out Top Score (not sure if they still have new episodes, haven't listened in a while). I used to listen to PC Gamer, but they've kind of gone downhill.

#19 Edited by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Chris86: I suppose you have a point.  I'm a little confused myself about how public broadcasting works, but here's my general understanding:
Most "NPR" (or CPB, or there's another big public radio non-prof but I forget the name) shows are anchored to a home studio, for example WBEZ is the radio station that produces This American Life.  However, it's ultimately a NPR/CPR/whatever show because that's how it is funded ultimately.

Ok, so I went and looked it up.  This American Life is distributed through PRI, public radio international.  PRI is a competing public radio company along with NPR.  Another public radio company is American Public Media (APM).  Most public radio stations broadcast a host of programs from each.  This is why I end up just labeling public radio shows as "NPR" shows.  That's not right, but approximately close, as in America public radio is more or less associated with the name NPR.

My point can be really distilled to this: Many/most public radio shows are produced by specific radio stations, and published by one of the main public radio companies.  In that way, shows can be identified as a PRI/NPR/APM show insofar as much as the show is published by that network.  Finally, many public radio shows are identified as NPR shows just because they're public radio shows.  But you're right, the show is produced at the WBEZ studios.

Edit: I also wanted to add a bit of insight since you said you're from the UK.  I think in the UK it's a thing that there are the same set of radio stations across the country, sort of like how cable channels work (Cnn, Comedy Central, CNBC, Food Network, Travel channel all being corollary to Radio 4 or whatever the stations are known as).  If that's true (I'm not sure but I think that's the case) then radio works way different here in the US.  Stations are more or less location sensitive.  So for example, I live in the Washington DC area and don't know WBEZ from any other station because it's not broadcast in DC, its broadcast in Chicago.  For this reason, I identify public radio shows with the networks not stations (though incorrectly so still).
#20 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@Canteu

The Comedy Button is probably my favourite podcast next to GFW and the Bombcast. (gamespy after 100 is totally included in the comedy button)

I used to enjoy Rebel FM but Arthur's Festival of Frown made me stop.

Same here. I just love Anthony, Tyler and Matt too much to stop altogether. Plus, it introduced me to Gamespy Debriefings and the Bombcast. So it holds a strange place in my heart because I wouldn't be here on GB if I hadn't heard the Rebel FM guys talking about it
#21 Edited by Trilogy (2645 posts) -

Weekend confirmed

It's no where near as funny or as entertaining as the bombcast but Garnett Lee and the crew tend to have deeper conversations about the state of the video game industry. They like to poke and prod the general consensus of things and play devils advocate to create meaningful, deep, and intelligent discussions. Between the bombcast and weekend confirmed, you can get the best of both worlds in my opinion.

#22 Posted by RetroVirus (1462 posts) -

The Comedy Button, Weekend Confirmed, and Laser Time are great.

#23 Posted by EuanDewar (4789 posts) -

My Brother My Brother and Me is the best podcast I've ever heard.

#24 Posted by Veiasma (194 posts) -

Damn, why did they have to discontinue Broken Pixels. That was a great video podcast...

#25 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

My Brother, My Brother and Me.

#26 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

MBMBaM is the only non-WM podcast that I listed to on the day it comes out every week. Listen to that.

#27 Edited by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

These days I only listen to four video game related podcasts regularly. The Bombcast, Weekend Confirmed, The CAGcast (Cheapassgamer) and an independant one that's been around for 7 or 8 years, Orange Lounge Radio. I've probably been listening to the last one the longest because the Bombast was still a Gamespot thing and Weekend Confirmed was still 1UP Yours back then. I'm not sure how old the CAGcast is but I would guess around 5 or 6 years but I didn't start until 3 or 4. I never miss a chance to plug OLR.

For non-video game podcasts, I like The Tony Kornheiser Show even if the podcast comes out a day after the live broadcast. It's about sports and other stuff. For music there is Coverville which is a podcast that delves into the many many cover songs of popular bands. Each episode is a different performer or genre.

#28 Posted by drowsap (679 posts) -

Id say the Rooster teeth podcast they talk alot about gaming but talk about every thing really it remindes me of the bombcast but with some pop culture thrown in for laughs. One down side they do a bunch of fact checking lol but just to prove each other wrong. they also rotate the cast every now and then witch I think is great.

#29 Posted by Korolev (1700 posts) -

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is pretty good - they don't come out often (usually one every month or so), but when they do come out they are GOOD. He did a 6 part history of the downfall of the Roman Republic (basically how it transformed from a semi-democratic republic to a militaristic empire) and a four part series on the Eastern Front of WW2. He also does a centrist political podcast (you know he's centrist because the left say he's right-wing and the right say he's left-wing) which is also really good.

Skeptoid is a really good podcast as well, if you are a skeptic. He is a bit offensive to religious people - he doesn't try to be, and it only rarely comes up, but keep that in mind if you are religious you might not like everything he has to say about that topic.

#30 Posted by RagingLion (1363 posts) -

I wish Rock,Paper,Shotgun would podcast more.

Another thumbs up for the few episodes of A Life Well Wasted - it really is incredibly produced stuff.

#32 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

Other than Bombcast and This is Only a Test, my Instacast gets Smdocast, CAGcast, and IGN's Game Business Show (The few times they update it)

#33 Posted by mosespippy (4051 posts) -

99% Invisible, Too Much Information and A Life Well Wasted are fantastic and evergreen so you can go back and listen to all the previous episodes without them seeming dated.

#34 Posted by Kidavenger (3513 posts) -
#35 Posted by adam1808 (1389 posts) -

I am partial to Talkradar at Gamesradar.com, Chris Antista is a hilarious dude and that podcast beats everything else in terms of sheer number of sound effects

#36 Posted by razielrioux (125 posts) -

@Chris86:A life Well Wasted is a podcast that is criminally underrated and one of the best podcasts ever, regardless of subject.

#38 Posted by Just_an_other_muffin (90 posts) -

Though its a video game podcast that never talks about video games, The Comedy Button and its predecessor The Gamespy Debriefings are good for laughs.

#39 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

Aside from the Bombcast, my two favorite podcasts are the ongoing My Brother My Brother and Me (MBMBaM) and the now defunct You Look Nice Today.

#40 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

MBMBaM is the only other English podcast I listen to except for the Tested podcast.

#41 Posted by subsalicylate (41 posts) -
#42 Posted by JauntyHat (323 posts) -

If you're into history you should check out Hardcore History by Dan Carlin. He updates every few months or so but the quality of the projects are amazing.

#43 Posted by Bane (389 posts) -

I enjoy StarTalk Radio. It's hosted by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson who is the Director of the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History.

#44 Edited by qawsed (143 posts) -
#45 Posted by shootermcclay (219 posts) -

IGN's AU Pubcast - My favorite IGN podcast consists of 4 guys and 1 gal from Australia. I consider Cam Shea and Tristan Ogilvie to be as funny as Jeff Gerstmann.

#46 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

I'm pretty sure there are already around 50 threads regarding this exact question.

Never the less I throw my voice behind the CAGCast

#47 Edited by DefaultProphet (377 posts) -

An entirely shameless plus but Legends Podcast is pretty great. Of that cast there's a couple subdivisions and one is Video Game Legends which I'm a host on. www.Legendspodcast.com =D Now that, that's out of the way I listen to the breadth of the core Smodcast shows as well as The Moth, Car Talk, Galactic Watercooler, and Wholesome Addiction

#48 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

The Joe Rogan Experience

#49 Posted by Demoskinos (14589 posts) -

The Morning Stream you can find them on itunes , zune or their website on the Frogpants Network

#50 Posted by Mattalorian (594 posts) -