• 126 results
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4193 posts) -

The new beta site is here! Its quite snazzy.

The GameSpot Youtube video explanation is finally up. Danny dedicates many smores-worth of sweet Ryan memories in it. Well, the 404 page looks awesome, btw.

EDIT: Oh, their reviews now have gifs that I can't embed, I guess.

And I guess i missed the beta since I didn't look in my GameSpot inbox, and now its just out. But, still not working much today.

#2 Edited by Wolfgame (707 posts) -

Ergh, I don't know, I think these screen caps are enough gamespot for me. I am kinda happy here with the way we do things. I don't tend to juggle multiple gamesites as far as my personal participation. But, kudos to gamespot for the new look, keep going strong guys :-)

#3 Edited by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

Everything I've seen makes it look like GB, which is totally their right to do, but I hope it doesn't start diminishing their separate identities

#4 Posted by TJUK (97 posts) -

I like the new look. It has elements of GB and Polygon which to my mind, must only be a good thing. Still I can't see myself coming anywhere but GB for my gaming needs. GB with a bit of Eurogamer on the side that is.

#5 Posted by konig_kei (605 posts) -

Giantbomb.com/Dannyodwyer looks purdy good

#6 Posted by Vuud (1956 posts) -

Screw Gamespot, GameFAQs 4 LIFE!

#7 Edited by Wolfgame (707 posts) -

@vuud:

I see what you did there

#8 Posted by cloudymusic (1104 posts) -
#9 Posted by Veektarius (4771 posts) -

But will it blend?

#10 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

Looks very Giantbomby.

Moderator Online
#11 Posted by Duder_Me (307 posts) -

I can't find the old videos. GIVE ME MY ON THE SPOT ARCHIVE BACK.

#12 Posted by joshwent (2172 posts) -

what is that 404 error game? WHAT IS THAT 404 ERROR GAME?!?

#13 Posted by Kaiserreich (690 posts) -
#14 Edited by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

It's odd. Does it seem like Gamespot is trying really hard to make their editors be the face of the site? It seems so forced compared to the old days in the 2000's. It seems here like they are just trying to force these people down our throats. Creepy.

#15 Posted by Nardak (472 posts) -

Getting 500 internal server error. Looking good gamespot...looking good.

#16 Posted by GIyn (202 posts) -

If the video player is decent, maybe they could put the player onto GiantBomb

#17 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1584 posts) -

It's odd. Does it seem like Gamespot is trying really hard to make their editors be the face of the site? It seems so forced compared to the old days in the 2000's. It seems here like they are just trying to force these people down our throats. Creepy.

I think the UK guys are fantastic. I love "The Point", "Top 5 Skyrim Mods", and whatever they rename the science show this month (it's called "Reality Check" right now, but it was something else earlier in the year).

I couldn't give two shits about the US staff though (to clarify I am an American).

#18 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

So I will go from not visiting Gamespot to not visiting Gamespot. For their sake, I hope the overhaul didn't break Gamespot too.

#19 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

Do i have to pre order the game spot to get in the beta?

I don't really read gamespot anymore anyway. I watch feedbackula and some other other brttish guys videos and thats it. Nobody I remember from gamespot is at that site anymore.

Those feedbackula guys are crazy Giantbomb should get them. The rest of them on USA gamespot cant take any joke and are way to fucking serious.....And other things. They are like old jaded grumpy old men now. like 20 times more than giantbomb is as they get older but not in a good way...

#20 Posted by Flacracker (1655 posts) -

It is not a beta anymore. It is full out.

#21 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

I'm sure most of their old members will be disappointed as they took out quite a lot of old features but I also believe that this is for the site's good. Old one was just too clumsy. On a separate note, making it look the same as GB is kind of a cheap work of CBS' part.

Isn't it ironic. Following the steps of a crew they fired.

#22 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

Maybe I'll pop in every once in a while now. The old site was a complete mess and this new site is... not working for me now, but I'm sure it'll be totally fine someday.

#23 Posted by Royce_McCutcheon (203 posts) -

@shockd said:

I'm sure most of their old members will be disappointed as they took out quite a lot of old features but I also believe that this is for the site's good. Old one was just too clumsy. On a separate note, making it look the same as GB is kind of a cheap work of CBS' part.

Well for starters, it was only one guy who was fired. Secondly, it wasn't CBS responsible for the firing as they didn't own Gamespot until about a year later.

#24 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

That sweet Hyphy Mud.

#25 Edited by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

500 internal server errors.

That's a lot of errors, folks. At least they have stated that it is "embarrassing" on the page.

*EDIT*

It worked. I started watching the video. Skipped ahead a bit to Danny talking about the history of Gamespot and the past. The moment he talked about "errors in judgment, reconciliations, and friends that we shant soon forget..." and a picture of Ryan was in the background...

Danny O, you muthafucker. Excuse me while I go dry my goddamn eyes.

Beyond that, it looks like a modified Giant Bomb, and it makes me curious if Giant Bomb will be getting a similar rework soon as well. The reviews seem a bit like Polygon? I don't mean those negatively, as I think both have some slick looks overall.

They also moved to a 10-point scale. That's cool and all, but I would've loved them to be the site that finally did it, that finally said "fuck review scores, we're just writing the words and you read them." A major site HAS to lead that charge to make it happen, and Gamespot or Giant Bomb seems like the place to do it.

*EDIT EDIT*

Okay. I just realized that their 500 internal server error page...has a whole fucking game on it. That's goddamn awesome!

#26 Posted by hawkinson76 (359 posts) -

Shits broken. But I'm far more likely to check in for a second (or first) opinion now, the old site was painful to use.

#27 Edited by Chaser324 (6411 posts) -
#28 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4193 posts) -

@jakob187: I was waiting a bit and hoping they put out a YouTube version soon enough, and was gonna reveal that here.. Still, cool. RIP Ryan.

#29 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

Well being more like GB can't exactly be a bad thing I guess

#30 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

I am really interested on how the staff reviews will work. According to Justin Calvert more than one Reviewer can review the same game. So for an example if Two Reviewers review Assassins Creed IV whose review will be the main review on the site if you guys know what i mean ?

#31 Posted by Flacracker (1655 posts) -

@shockd said:

Oh trust me some of the people there are very mad. They are reducing sig sizes and making it so gifs wont play in sigs so now there are tons of people whining that they cant put boob gifs in their sigs, literally. Also people are saying how shit GB and the forums are so they are going to leave GS.

#32 Edited by BaconGames (3371 posts) -

For anyone that doesn't seem to have put it together, the new GameSpot looking similar to Giant Bomb is entirely to do with Alexis and his team in design/engineering. The reason GB looks like this is because Alexis worked out a lot of design stuff that he liked and could make and GameSpot is no different. Plain and simple, that's just what his particular design for sites seem to be and I think he's doing a hell of a job keeping pace with where web design is going on top of adding his own innovations.

Of course credit doesn't only to go him but you can see his work all over the place. That and it made sense from CBSi's perspective to unify GameSpot in with Giant Bomb's back end so that iteration is that much easier. Simply porting over the data and working around all the busted and broken corners of GameSpot had to be done at some point. Also, if this is your opportunity to remind everyone that you already don't like GameSpot and will continue to not give a eff, that's your prerogative but the site's design looking similar to GB has nothing to do with that.

Personally I think this is a time to rejoice because this means Alexis can start working on Giant Bomb again.

#33 Edited by myketuna (1678 posts) -

For anyone that doesn't seem to have put it together, the new GameSpot looking similar to Giant Bomb is entirely to do with Alexis and his team in design/engineering. The reason GB looks like this is because Alexis worked out a lot of design stuff that he liked and could make and GameSpot is no different. Plain and simple, that's just what his particular design for sites seem to be and I think he's doing a hell of a job keeping pace with where web design is going on top of adding his own innovations.

Of course credit doesn't only to go him but you can see his work all over the place. That and it made sense from CBSi's perspective to unify GameSpot in with Giant Bomb's back end so that iteration is that much easier. Simply porting over the data and working around all the busted and broken corners of GameSpot had to be done at some point. Also, if this is your opportunity to remind everyone that you already don't like GameSpot and will continue to not give a eff, that's your prerogative but the site's design looking similar to GB has nothing to do with that.

Personally I think this is a time to rejoice because this means Alexis can start working on Giant Bomb again.

Absolutely. I tweeted him yesterday after he seemed like he was overwhelmed by building stuff. Dude is working hard over there. Glad to see his baby is finally out in the wild. The site looks great.

#34 Edited by Chaser324 (6411 posts) -
#35 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4193 posts) -

@chaser324: Uh? Oh, well no I suppose not. In that there Ellen page review, its actually an err CSS3 animation-thing of her taking the knife in the air, and it just goes back and forth forever.

I can't get the site to work again, either.

#37 Posted by BeachThunder (11832 posts) -

So, should Ian's game be listed in the wiki?

#38 Posted by LiquidPrince (15909 posts) -

@mattyftm: Ah, seaserpent rears its head again.

#39 Posted by GreggD (4487 posts) -

R.I.P., Unions...

#40 Posted by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -

Looks like Giant Bomb's and Polygon's horribly deformed baby.

#41 Edited by Milkman (16660 posts) -

Wow, that "The New GameSpot" video is super well-done. Before Giant Bomb, I used GameSpot for years. It was one of the first online communities that I was ever apart of so it has a pretty special place in my heart. That shout out to Ryan really got me too...

#42 Edited by soulcake (265 posts) -

looks allot like giant bomb but that isn't a bad thing right :D ???

#43 Edited by AMyggen (2835 posts) -

Looks better than the old site, that's for sure. I've lost all interest in general gaming news sites like IGN, GS and Polygon though, and this doesn't make me more interested in GS.

#44 Posted by PandaBear (1357 posts) -

I read this thread title as The Brad-New GameSpot is here

#45 Posted by D_Mac (123 posts) -

I think it looks really sharp, and the layout is fluid and intuitive. Really dig it, may inspire me to visit it more frequently now.

#46 Posted by meaninoflife42 (508 posts) -

I must find this error page game. I MUST!

#47 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -

Hey, their video player totally works! When will that be enabled on here?

#48 Posted by Wolfgame (707 posts) -

@butano: pretty soon according to the current breaking brad stream, sounds like their video player will migrate over here at some point.

#49 Posted by JayEH (524 posts) -

Looks like a mix of polygon and giantbomb. I don't like but then again I don't go to GS that often

#50 Edited by Marokai (2899 posts) -

Yep, looks like a modern video game website.