Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looks clean, albeit slightly too dense with content.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#53 chaser324  Moderator

@blu3v3nom07: No, that background is actually a looping HTML5 video. There's a static jpeg in there as a fallback for browsers that don't support HTML5 video.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

they got giantbomb all up in that gamespot

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

I think it kind of amazing how Giant Bomb came to be and now GameSpot has adopted the Giant Bomb look. It's amazing how things change. The site looks great, and it was in need of a new paint job.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Danny dedicates a couple of seconds to Ryan in the re-introduction video. And I can confirm that the new mobile website is gamespot.com, rather than m.gamespot.com

It looks really nice on mobile. And my sap phone can't screenshot it. One day, Billy!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@marokai said:

Yep, looks like a modern video game website.

Pretty much. Slicker, certainly, but there's still not a ton on Gamespot that I'm interested in besides the hijinks of the GS UK crew and maybe the occasional review from Kevin. Skimming through Tom McShea's "Second Opinion" on Bioshock Infinite reminded me exactly why I don't much care for the rest of their editorial staff.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Aegon

The gamespot users are whining like little babies. Someone literally said "you fucked up our site".

OUR SITE.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I can't believe how much their users are shitting on their new site. Like fuck. You'd think it was just a bunch of 8 year olds whining and saying they're going to go live with another family(IGN). I don't like to talk down about other sites in favour of GB but wow do I love the GB community especially compared to other websites that unfortunately have vocal users like those ones who can never see any good in anything.

Anyways, the big issue I had with the old site and maybe it'll be this new one too is how much content they have, most of it isn't unique or important(news stories for everything possible, screen shots, random short gameplay videos) so it buries a lot of stuff that is, and that's a shame.

Also Danny's part in the New Gamespot video was amazing, he's the next generation of old Gamespot/Giant Bomb crew video game content producer.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Loved the small shout-outs of Jeff's reconciliation and tribute to Ryan in their re-launch video. Loved it.

johnbakosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By johnbakosh

@shockd: do you just make all this shit up in your head? Or do you think what you said is actually true?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@marokai said:

Pretty much. Slicker, certainly, but there's still not a ton on Gamespot that I'm interested in besides the hijinks of the GS UK crew and maybe the occasional review from Kevin. Skimming through Tom McShea's "Second Opinion" on Bioshock Infinite reminded me exactly why I don't much care for the rest of their editorial staff.

To be fair, Tom McShea is one man, and also presents himself in such a way that makes him very desirable to punch.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

The gamespot users are whining like little babies. Someone literally said "you fucked up our site".

OUR SITE.

You can swap the word Gamespot with any other website name and that statement would hold true. The internet wants change, but hates change.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Wolfgame

@tournamentofhate: its a shame, I did drop by the site and they got some pretty cool features over there, its unfortunate that segments of the gamespot community aren't appreciating it.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really interested on how the staff reviews will work. According to Justin Calvert more than one Reviewer can review the same game. So for an example if Two Reviewers review Assassins Creed IV whose review will be the main review on the site if you guys know what i mean ?

Yeah, Tom McShea's take on Bioshoc Infinite is up there now with a score of 4/10. It confused the hell out of me until I saw it was a second review.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By Animasta

@dalai said:

@aegon said:

OUR SITE.

You can swap the word Gamespot with any other website name and that statement would hold true. The internet wants change, but hates change.

I bet you could've found someone saying that for this new site as well

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By flasaltine

@animasta said:

@dalai said:

@aegon said:

OUR SITE.

I bet you could've found someone saying that for this new site as well

I don't think I saw a single "WTF This new site sucks" on Giant Bomb. There was some criticism though.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#70  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:
@marokai said:

To be fair, Tom McShea is one man, and also presents himself in such a way that makes him very desirable to punch.

McShea isn't my only problem with Gamespot's editorial staff (I don't much care for Carolyn Petit or Peter Brown, and I can give or take Chris and Maxwell), but he's the only one with an overbearing air of smugness to compliment his writing.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Ares42

Why did they inherit GBs "new releases" design =( Gamespots old design was the best one out there I knew of (and one of the only reasons I visited their site). The GB design is just terrible for actually looking up what's coming out when.

thevisitor451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By thevisitor451

The main site is ok, but the new GS forums are fucking awful. Aside from the usual bugs you'd expect from a new forum (loading errors, etc.), they pretty much are a complete rip off of Giant Bomb (without anything that I like about this forum).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@ares42 said:

Why did they inherit GBs "new releases" design =( Gamespots old design was the best one out there I knew of (and one of the only reasons I visited their site). The GB design is just terrible for actually looking up what's coming out when.

They tossed out all of the old Gamespot code and are using Giant Bomb code templates for easier maintenance across sites.

nolan3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the site overall is better than it was. The review pages though...I still think the giant image then block of text then another giant image and more blocks of text is terrible design. It looks ok if your browser window is about two inches wide or probably if you are looking at it on a phone but neither of those you should really do that often. I do like the idea of the big animated top banner though.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#75  Edited By Slag
No Caption Provided

I give the new gamespot an 8.8

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I very rarely visit GS because I don't like it much but I think the redesign looks good. Although, and this is something that has always bothered me about the GS site, it feels really overcrowded with content. Also I seriously can't believe the forums over there, I mean I know the internet freaks out over any amount of change but really?! Of course it's gonna be wonky for the first few days or so.

Duder_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe how much their users are shitting on their new site. Like fuck. You'd think it was just a bunch of 8 year olds whining and saying they're going to go live with another family(IGN). I don't like to talk down about other sites in favour of GB but wow do I love the GB community especially compared to other websites that unfortunately have vocal users like those ones who can never see any good in anything.

Anyways, the big issue I had with the old site and maybe it'll be this new one too is how much content they have, most of it isn't unique or important(news stories for everything possible, screen shots, random short gameplay videos) so it buries a lot of stuff that is, and that's a shame.

Also Danny's part in the New Gamespot video was amazing, he's the next generation of old Gamespot/Giant Bomb crew video game content producer.

You don't understand. There were a lot of small features from the old site that one could easily overlook such as page links in the thread title or the number of unread posts in a thread, which aren't present in the new design. In addition, there are still some bugs such as not being able to change avatars. Worst of all, the On the Spot archive seems to be missing and some of the videos for older games as well. One of my main gripes with the new site is the addition of unnecessary scrolling due to those huge headers that can be found in so many web site designs today.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By NTM

Unfortunately, with the way they're going with the reviews by having an alternative take may be a problem. I mean, Bioshock Infinite a 4.0? Come on, you can dislike that game, but it still doesn't deserve that low.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think it's much better. There just isn't much there I care enough to click on.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Video player doesn't seem like much of an improvement, though.

Funny how watching videos on the internet seemed much better in 2010 than now.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:
No Caption Provided

Let's start a trend, folks.

No Caption Provided

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now they can finally start working on this site. That's all I care about.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By mrcraggle

@dalai said:

@slag said:
No Caption Provided

Let's start a trend, folks.

No Caption Provided

ok

No Caption Provided

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ShockD

@johnbakosh: I do no understand the reason why you're upset with my comment unless you're a fanboy of GS. But as others have expressed to agree with me, it appears that you're the one with the false image in your head.

@royce_mccutcheon We all know that; you get the point... I hope.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By kishinfoulux

The relaunch video just showed off why I will never care for Gamespot. Those guys are just stale, cardboard cutouts masquerading as humans, completely devoid of personality. It was obvious during the Wednesday live show. The site has no entertaining personalities, which is key nowadays. Also having fools like Tom McShea (who just HAD to get a Bioshock Infinite review out there because he irrationally despises the game) ensures I have no reason to visit them.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

A resounding meh.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By crithon

wow, I'm so impressed, was afraid it'd look like the old design but looks slick. Amazing work

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Looking more and more like GiantBomb every day...

... how long until they try and merge the two back together :S

daltimond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally found all the old "On the Spot" videos and "The Hotspot" podcast because I never watched it when the Bombcrew was there and they change the site and its all gone. Fuck you Gamespot. That was the only reason I wanted to visit your site.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the site looks a little too busy, at the front page you immediately get three columns of stuff to look at, and it's a little overwhelming. It doesn't help that they are the same size so your eye is not drawn to a main list. Other than it looks like Polygon/every other video game website designed in the last year, though I much prefer Polygon as it looks so much cleaner.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a gamespot expat and nothing they can do will make me go back.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#92  Edited By Humanity

Every time I go to Gamespot it seems like their content is being largely produced in the UK office. Nothing wrong with that of course, I like Jess McDonell and Danny, but it's weird cause I always associated GameSpot with being this huge US site.

Edit: I guess Jess is Australian.

Double Edit: Overall, except for the part where the videos don't play if you have adblock enabled, with a heavy heart I have to say I kinda like the layout more than Giant Bomb. It's the annoying Web 3.0 aesthetic, but they manage to push more information onto the main site whereas I feel GB is really bloated and disorganized. Sometimes you have a new Quick Look come out only to be buried under news stories from a day ago.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#93 sweep  Moderator
Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Looks alright I guess. I've never really frequented gamespot and I really don't see that changing. The video was nice though. Danny is probably the only thing I find endearing about that site.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Humanity

Danny dedicates a couple of seconds to Ryan in the re-introduction video. And I can confirm that the new mobile website is gamespot.com, rather than m.gamespot.com

It looks really nice on mobile. And my sap phone can't screenshot it. One day, Billy!

Yah the mobile site looks really good. Hopefully the GB site will finally catch up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Web 3.0

Wait, what? When did this happen? Is there a changelog? What does that entail? 250% more javascript nonsense, I am sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Real nice design, now if only i could filter out the US content

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomic_dumpling: I use the term to describe the new look where websites auto adjust when viewed on a mobile device meaning they look bad everywhere

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By TowerSixteen

K. Do we get our Giant Bomb site maintenance/design people back now? Please?

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#100  Edited By FunkyHugo

I think it looks really fantastic. If it makes sense, I would love to see certain features come over to GB, like the giant gifs in the reviews. Alexis and the rest of the team did a brilliant job.