Oh, and the site is nice.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Nodima

I think it's quite beautiful and if I had any interest in reading IGN or Gamespot anymore I probably would, but neither of those sites employ people I'm much interested in. Though I thought Tom McShea's review of Bioshock Infinite was quite nice and refreshing to read although I still consider the game a contender for game of the year (it probably helps that I'm one of those heathens who found very little joy in Rapture). All of his points were accurate to the tee, even if they ignored all the existential crises, exhilarating FPS gameplay (at least, to someone who gets bored of FPS games very easily) and wonderfully detailed sub-plots that left a lot of the game's inner logic to the players' sleuthing skills.

Anyway, I just want those giant HTML5 loops on my Giantbomb reviews, quick looks and so on. You know Vinny and Drew would have a field day picking those.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@soap said:

Looking more and more like GiantBomb every day...

... how long until they try and merge the two back together :S

Anonymous asked:

Do you worry that one day CBSi will be all 'fuck it' and merge GB with Gamespot?

It’s funny, because some people keep somehow expecting that to be the eventual case. But they’re over there thinking about launching more sites, not merging everything in.

Anyway, if that were to happen, it probably wouldn’t bother me because I probably wouldn’t be working here. Unless it was something super-big, like a TV hosting gig or something, creating content for a large, mainstream audience on a daily basis doesn’t really interest me that much these days.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

I tried to log into GS via Twitter and it was all, "fuck you, make a Game Spot account". I hope the comment system carries over to Giant Bomb (stacking comment trees, sort by popular comments) as GB's comment structure is kinda dog shit.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@nodima said:

Anyway, I just want those giant HTML5 loops on my Giantbomb reviews, quick looks and so on. You know Vinny and Drew would have a field day picking those.

Hmm. Really, I think those animated banners are pointless and dumb. But yeah, in the hands of VinDrew, glorious things could happen.

Also, I just played their 404 error game for a bit. Pretty funny. I just hope the suits at CBSi are cool with their 404 page getting the most hits on relaunch day. ;)

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The clock is a-tickin'

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found some gems:

"The problem with the new Gamespot is that it isn't intuitive. A website's design should be simple and easy to navigate. The eye sees things in triangles, left to right, and so on. Has anyone seen the front page? The layout is atrocious. Whoever designed this new GS website should work somewhere else, or cut all affiliations with Gamespot's parent company."

"The redesign sucks ass bro, I'm seriously considering Immigrating to IGN now."

"Me too, IGN now souds attempting. Gamespot should had talked with the community before change everything."

"Hope they got a rollback plan in place, cause this new site is basically total shit."

Some pretty hilarious stuff to be found over there.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Haha

Oh look it's Giant Bomb 2.0

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Rowr

@soap said:

Looking more and more like GiantBomb every day...

... how long until they try and merge the two back together :S

Anonymous asked:

Do you worry that one day CBSi will be all 'fuck it' and merge GB with Gamespot?

It’s funny, because some people keep somehow expecting that to be the eventual case. But they’re over there thinking about launching more sites, not merging everything in.

Anyway, if that were to happen, it probably wouldn’t bother me because I probably wouldn’t be working here. Unless it was something super-big, like a TV hosting gig or something, creating content for a large, mainstream audience on a daily basis doesn’t really interest me that much these days.

Game sites never shut down when there are multiples owned by the same company.

Take Gamespy or 1up for instance.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I think it looks way too much like Giant Bomb.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@rowr said:

Haha

More like Giant Bomb Lite

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Great a redesign. Did they also 'redesign' the entire staff? Cause if not, I don't see a reason to go there.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#113  Edited By Slag

So just noticed,the GS game pages directly link to the GB wiki pages for the relevant game.

maybe it's now time to give some renewed focus to the wiki?

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So thought I'd chime in and give a little perspective. GameSpot definitely shares a ton of characteristics with Giant Bomb and for good reasons. Given the shared platform I decided about 6 months that instead of completely trying something new I'd like to evolve what Dave and I did here on GB and take the opportunity to build something that would make working on both sites simultaneously a real possibility. Our team is tiny. The entire fronted design team consists of 4 people. 3 of us are designers and CSS HTML guys (Brandon, Jesse and I) and one JS/CSS/PHP engineer (Regina who played that game from china with Drew). The engineering team is a bit larger but I'll leave that for another day. But even without trying to make excuses about us being a small group and the countless 12-14 days over the last few months we have put it, I still think evolving the giantbomb look was the way to go. The animated h264 videos found on the reviews are pretty awesome (Check out LOL and GTA V) and the new larger article templates are a welcome update. The 404 page is pretty amazing. The game was written by Ian and the design work was done by our new designer Jesse.

So what does this mean for GB? Immediately we are going to work on merging the new branch of our platform back into GB. The video player will get a nice update once we iron a few more bugs. I know you have heard this before but honestly, the player got a complete rewrite. The UI of it will perform much better and any issues we have will be mostly based on network speeds and the enormous video files GB puts out. We will also take all of the CSS performance tricks we have learned and apply them. These sites really push the limits at times. Being responsive and also wanting to make them fun and somewhat attractive takes quite a bit of CSS! After implementing all of this we'll see about giving GB some design love.

As always I really appreciate the support you have all given me and everyone else. I still identify myself as a Giant Bomb guy and always will.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By thatdutchguy

Looks like they finally saw that Giantbomb is the superior video game website and decided to copy it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@rowr said:

Haha

More like Giant Bomb Lite

Considering they have "quests" of sorts and levels and things that used to be in GB and are now completely absent, well it looks more like Giant Bomb is the Giant Bomb Lite of this situation.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@thatdutchguy: How is it a copy when Alexis worked on both sites? That's like saying Comic Vine is a copy too.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatdutchguy: How is it a copy when Alexis worked on both sites? That's like saying Comic Vine is a copy too.

I didn't know Alexis worked on it, nevertheless, Alexis probably wasn't the guy who decided how gamespot was going to look like.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman04 said:

I didn't know Alexis worked on it, nevertheless, Alexis probably wasn't the guy who decided how gamespot was going to look like.

It was actually largely the Giant Bomb team working on it and from the very start when they started developing the new GB site, the plan was to use the same code and general look for both Comic Vine and the new GameSpot website.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f6ef1aee50b
deactivated-59f6ef1aee50b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i like it. No surprise because its giant bomb:)

Any one have a feeling they eventually gonne merge? Real question, not to upset anyone.

Edit: Oke i read the hole thing and its been asked already..

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By thatdutchguy

@humanity said:

@thatdutchguy said:

@monkeyman04 said:

It was actually largely the Giant Bomb team working on it and from the very start when they started developing the new GB site, the plan was to use the same code and general look for both Comic Vine and the new GameSpot website.

Ah,Thanks for he info,that explains a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f6ef1aee50b
deactivated-59f6ef1aee50b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexisg said:

So thought I'd chime in and give a little perspective. GameSpot definitely shares a ton of characteristics with Giant Bomb and for good reasons. Given the shared platform I decided about 6 months that instead of completely trying something new I'd like to evolve what Dave and I did here on GB and take the opportunity to build something that would make working on both sites simultaneously a real possibility. Our team is tiny. The entire fronted design team consists of 4 people. 3 of us are designers and CSS HTML guys (Brandon, Jesse and I) and one JS/CSS/PHP engineer (Regina who played that game from china with Drew). The engineering team is a bit larger but I'll leave that for another day. But even without trying to make excuses about us being a small group and the countless 12-14 days over the last few months we have put it, I still think evolving the giantbomb look was the way to go. The animated h264 videos found on the reviews are pretty awesome (Check out LOL and GTA V) and the new larger article templates are a welcome update. The 404 page is pretty amazing. The game was written by Ian and the design work was done by our new designer Jesse.

So what does this mean for GB? Immediately we are going to work on merging the new branch of our platform back into GB. The video player will get a nice update once we iron a few more bugs. I know you have heard this before but honestly, the player got a complete rewrite. The UI of it will perform much better and any issues we have will be mostly based on network speeds and the enormous video files GB puts out. We will also take all of the CSS performance tricks we have learned and apply them. These sites really push the limits at times. Being responsive and also wanting to make them fun and somewhat attractive takes quite a bit of CSS! After implementing all of this we'll see about giving GB some design love.

As always I really appreciate the support you have all given me and everyone else. I still identify myself as a Giant Bomb guy and always will.

Well thank you very much for the work. Its apreciated.

Looking forward to the changes.

I care for both sites even though i don't post much.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexisg hey Alexis I was just posting on the GameSpot forums to give them a try and noticed something I have been asking about for ages on the support forums (to no avail) - cookie crumbs on the BOTTOM of the forums! On Giant Bomb when you create a post there is no cookie crumb link to go back to the forum index under your newest post and you have to scroll back to the very top of the page. I know you guys got a ton of other bugs to fix but can you maybe write this small feature down on some whiteboard for future reference?

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: looking at the forums as a whole is definitely something we want to do so yeah this is an option for sure.

totaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By totaboy

I wanted to see their new video player but I guess it's not working right now...

Gamespot's old video player was terrible, so you had to wait for the video to be posted on Youtube which could take days.

e: I forgot to turn off Adblock. Duh! Looks good.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Nardak

It just seems in a way that Gamespot basically stole the awesome design that the guys at Giant Bomb designed. And yes I am aware that they are now the property of CBS but it still seems like a one sided relationship in a lot of ways.

I am a tad worried about the future of the Giant Bomb site because if there is a choiche of terminating one of the web sites it will probably be the Giant Bomb website.

Gamespot all in all is a pretty horrific website. The only thing that i usually check in there is Kevin van Ord´s gameplay podcast (which i am unable to find anymore because of the redesign) and the news on the front page once in a while.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there still settling into there new office

RavenousJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new Gamespot is very buggy, I doubt I will spend much time there.