The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By X19

The Giantbomb Community "Can't remember the name of this game" Table Of Knowledge Table       

Asked By 
(Click On Name To View Question In Thread)
Answered By
 (View Profile)   
 Game
(Click On Name To View The Corresponding GB Wiki Page & Click On Spoiler To View Question) 
 MisterChief                                                             
BeachThunder             Monster Bash
  Zidane_24   ESREVER                   
Jackal 
  supermike6   
ESREVER   Chameleon Twist
  KiemoeNot Answered
SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.  FunExplosions     Not Answered
  n00d13z     Pending

arab_prince
Not Answered
  X19  Errordotocx
Fury3
  wrathofconn
Resolved
N.I.C.E.2        Megasoum
Resolved
 Hardline  
Zero_
  Ignor 
Links Extreme
Brenderous  
ESREVER          Musashi no Ken - Tadaima Shugyou Chuu        CaptainObvious
  Ignor
  The Neverhood
  Choi
Ignor

Rimrunner 

eqaddictedfool   
Not Answered    
yakov456
  ESREVER*  
   Death Duel  
SathingtonWaltz
Pending
   Potter9156
  Errordotocx 
  Urban Chaos   Synthballs 
Ignor       Tanktics          BeachThunder Not Answered

Ignor + Not Answered

Nikral 

Shirogane
*   Imperium GalacticaLegend  Nikral*    

Cyberia    

Ha lberdierv2       Legend         Brave Fencer Musashi  PlasmaBeam44    Ignor     The Steel Empire       Enigma777 Pop           Battle City                  thoseposersNot Answered 
 DarklightIgnor        Dr. Chaos         LackingSaint Pending         
Aronman789Zithe      Mort the Chicken X19Ignor              Lifeforce/Codename Tenka     
Smedles    Not Answered 
     FunExplosions     Not Answered
  Kjellm87  Ignor  Journey to Silius        marrecResolvedCastle of the WindsHawker Not Answered
         CookieMonster Not Answered

Press Reply and send X19 your question
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By X19

Everyone must have a very good memory lol

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MisterChief

There was a game I remember playing at my grandparents house once that I can't remember the name of. 

It was a 2D sidescroller for the PC. 

This was in the mid to late nineties. 

It was horror themed. 

Pretty sure some of the first enemies were hands like thing from the Adam's Family. 

You had a slingshot that you could shoot and the stone would bounce around the screen. 

You started in a outdoor level which might have been a graveyard.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By zidane_24

Hurm. The stone thing makes me think of the ricocheting powerup from Castlevania. Other than that, I can't really help you. Sorry.  

I do have one I need a hand with.  

When I was a kid (I'm thinking 1995, maybe, is when we bought it. Maybe a couple years later.), we had an arcade cabinet that had no title on the marquee at the top, just some picture of guys in the army.  

In this game, you drove a jeep. Co-op was possible, adding another jeep to the screen. You had two buttons: One for machine gun, and one for explosives, which started out as a blue grenade. It was a vertical scroller, with you driving upwards (what I call "Gunsmoke-style"). On the way, there were several military bases. You could use your explosives to blow up certain buildings in the base, and you would see that the buildings housed guys. If you stopped your jeep next to the building, the guys would file into your car. Shortly after these military bases, there would be a helipad, where you would park and let the guys get off. As you let them off, you would be upgrading your explosives. First to missiles, then to missiles that exploded in a horizontal line, then to missiles that exploded in an "X" pattern.  

You could put in as many credits as you wanted (obviously, because we owned the machine). But, in the final military base, you were not allowed to continue if you lost all your lives in co-op. In single player, there was never an option to continue. If you lost, it would show a map that displays how far you got, and then end. If you were playing co-op and your partner was still alive, you could use another credit to get 3 more lives. But, again, you could not do this in the final military base. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder
@MisterChief said:
" There was a game I remember playing at my grandparents house once that I can't remember the name of.   It was a 2D sidescroller for the PC.   This was in the mid to late nineties.   It was horror themed.   Pretty sure some of the first enemies were hands like thing from the Adam's Family.   You had a slingshot that you could shoot and the stone would bounce around the screen.   You started in a outdoor level which might have been a graveyard. "
Monster Bash
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By X19
@Zidane_24: Hey Zidane please remember to press reply when you are answering a users question it will help me out alot thanks. Hope you're right too :)

Oh also I have put your question up.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MisterChief
@BeachThunder: 

That's it! It's all coming back to me now watching a video of it on youtube.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By ESREVER
@X19:  @Zidane_24: I'm going to make a first guess and say Jackal. I think the arcade cabinet version was called Top Gunner.

Its a game where players take control of a jeep and blow up enemy bases to rescue troops.
zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zidane_24
@ESREVER: Oh my god that's it! Man, I was thinking it was some crazy Korean game that nobody had ever heard of. The graphics look a little different than I remember, but I think that's just an issue of arcade machine vs. PC or whatever else it came out on.  

Now I can finally stop just calling it "The Jeep Game". 
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By WickedCestus

I'm thinking of an N64 game, and I have no idea what the exact year was. I remember the art on the cartridge was some different-coloured lizards and the name had something to do with chameleons or a play-on-words involving lizards. I can't actually remember very much of the actual gameplay, but colour was a main theme so it might have been some sort of puzzle-platformer involving colourful chameleons. This is a pretty bad description for what I'm sure is a game no one has heard of, but I'd really like to remember the name. 

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ESREVER
@supermike6 said:

" I'm thinking of an N64 game, and I have no idea what the exact year was. I remember the art on the cartridge was some different-coloured lizards and the name had something to do with chameleons or a play-on-words involving lizards. I can't actually remember very much of the actual gameplay, but colour was a main theme so it might have been some sort of puzzle-platformer involving colourful chameleons. This is a pretty bad description for what I'm sure is a game no one has heard of, but I'd really like to remember the name.  "

I read that and instantly thought Chameleon Twist. 

No Caption Provided
Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Kiemoe
@supermike6: I think you might be thinking of Chameleon Twist

Now, I guess I'll describe my old old game. Okay, I remember playing a demo disc I somehow got on my dad's computer at work when I was little, and I can't remember much of what was on it, besides Wacky Wheels. There might have been Jazz Jackrabbit and Hocus Pocus on it, or those could have been different demos, I just don't know. The game that I am trying to remember, though, was a 2d sprite-based fighting game. I think the logo for the developer was a bunch of weapons stuck into the ground, that seems to ring a bell. I believe all the characters had weapons, and there was a fighter that reminds me a lot of E. Honda looking back on it. There is just not a lot that I can think of for this one (I think characters could jump off the sides of the screen?) but it bugs me to this day.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WickedCestus
@Kiemoe said:
" @supermike6: I think you might be thinking of Chameleon Twist. "
@ESREVER said: 

No Caption Provided
"
I don't know. I distinctly remember multiple chameleons. The description for that game says there is only one. Also, I remember the name being a lot stupider than that.
Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Goldanas

I was going to post about this game I could only remember as "Ooze Planet", but then after some searching on the site, I found Todd's Adventures in Slime World

This website's database is fantastic for sleuthing games.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ESREVER
@supermike6 said:
" @Kiemoe said:
" @supermike6: I think you might be thinking of Chameleon Twist. "
@ESREVER said: 

No Caption Provided
"
I don't know. I distinctly remember multiple chameleons. The description for that game says there is only one. Also, I remember the name being a lot stupider than that. "
There are 4 chameleons in total. It has a 4 player battle mode. The way you fought was you shoot out your tongue and collect items on your tongue (popcorn, rocks) and shoot them as projectiles at your enemies. I'll see what other relatable games I can find that fit that desciption. But Chameleon Twist is the most prominent title that came to mind.
Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Kiemoe
@supermike6: Well in Chameleon Twist there are four chameleons of different colors, and you can play as them in multiplayer as well. The sequel also has multiple colored chameleons, but no multiplayer. I can't think of anything else but that game, but if I do, I'll let you know.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FunExplosions

Er, I had one of these questions posted somewhere, too. If you find it I'll give you a dollar.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WickedCestus
@Kiemoe: @ESREVER: Now that you mention the battle mode, I think you might be right. I mostly just remember this game because I traded Ocarina of Time to my cousin for it. I remember the cartridge art the most out of anything, but unfortunately I can't find a picture of it. Anyways, thanks a ton guys! Turns out I don't actually remember playing it as much as I remember having it sitting on my shelf!
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ESREVER
@supermike6:
I have a copy of the game myself, and played it recently with some friends. I'll take a picture of it and show you when I get home. I'm pretty sure its very similar to the box art I posted though.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ESREVER
@FunExplosions said:
" Er, I had one of these questions posted somewhere, too. If you find it I'll give you a dollar. "
I went back 2 months into your forum history and didn't find it. 
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By X19
@FunExplosions:  Can't you rewrite it? Remember to reply to me if you do.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FunExplosions
@X19 said:
" @FunExplosions:  Can't you rewrite it? Remember to reply to me if you do. "
Game where you control a mars rover in third-person. After a ridiculously monotonous tutorial, you're tasked with collecting minerals, while - I think - destroying others (possibly robots) who are trying to do the same. Think it was for PC, but it also could have been for PlayStation 1. The most unique thing about it was its incorporation of music from the very little-known band Liars. I assume it was rated E or Teen. 

That's all I know about it. Well... there may have been aliens... but... maybe not.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunExplosions
@ESREVER: Thanks anyway. I was intending to come back and describe it. Just needed to brush off this headache first.
n00d13z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By n00d13z
@X19:  
 It was a game on the PC, around 1998 -2000 I'm pretty sure. 

You played as a hunter of dinosaurs.  
When you killed the dinosaur you wanted, a UFO looking thing would fly over it and use what looks like a magnet at a scrap yard that you use to pick up cars, and take it to your trophy room. 
In the trophy room there was a pyramid in the middle of the room, and your dino's were placed around the outside walls.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ESREVER
@FunExplosions said:

" @ESREVER: Thanks anyway. I was intending to come back and describe it. Just needed to brush off this headache first. "

OF COURSE it was on the next page when I stopped browsing through your history! Arghhh, damn my luck. 
Anyway, heres your post: 

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/looking-for-a-game-plus-bonus-music/430855/    

Okay, 

• It's an (early?) Playstation 1 game.
  • You play as a space/moon rover of some sort. You have guns, I think. You start the game off on some kind of ridiculously long tutorial. Basically, from what I played, your goal is to go from point A to point B, while killing other rovers that... if I remember correctly... are trying to harvest minerals?
  • The largest distinction, and the reason I'm searching for it, is because of the completely out-of-place indie-rock soundtrack it had. It was done by the Liars, and the music was from their first album.

Anyways, I don't really wanna play the game or anything... but I HAVE to know what the name of it was. 

Oh, you gotta click those links for "BONUS MUSIC!" 

And thanks in advance to the person who played this piece of crap game, and is willing to bestow upon me its name. I'll be on here editing some stuff all night, so if you think you've thought of it, just reply to this original comment. I'm not getting my hopes up, though. Thanks :)

Edit: Now that I think of it, I may have played it on my Computer, not my Playstation. But that doesn't mean it didn't come out on Playstation. It sure had that look...    
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FunExplosions
@ESREVER: Awesome. Thanks. You're more determined than me, that's for sure. Now all I need is the name of this shit game...
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By X19
@FunExplosions: I think you owe ESREVER a dollar lol

I put your original post into the table.

Sounded like Warzone 2100 to me but I just realised that you ruled that out already.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@X19: Please help, if possible. 

The game I am looking for was a game on the internet, not a paid video game. It was on www.coffeebreakarcade.com. In the "Cool" section.
The last time I played it was approximately 7 years ago. 
The game was a platformer. 
You played as a Ninja on a Skateboard that was trying to save his buddy, who was captured by aliens. 

That is all I remember from the game. I've been dying to play it again for years. I know its not a conventional video game, but if you have any help it would be EXTREMELY appreciated!
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By X19
@X19: 
It was on the PC around 1995-97

You played as a futuristic spaceship in a 3D world on a planets surface somewhere in space.

The first cutscene was of your ship being raised on a platform from underground to the surface, I remember flashing red siren lights on the sides of the platform.

You were then in game and had to take off from a runway and take out futuristic mini cities like their radar towers etc.

Thats all I can remember.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FunExplosions
@X19: Heh, was that last comment of yours supposed to be directed at me? If so... none of that is really ringing any bells. Doesn't mean it's not the game, though. I'd really have to see some screenshots. 

And a side note. Thanks a ton for creating this thread. If you maintain it appropriately, this could be a great addition to the site. Would cut back on people (like me) who keep bumping their unanswered questions in the forums. Plus, the easy-reference is an awesome addition. Hopefully it gets stickied.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By X19
@FunExplosions: Hey yeh it was directed at you. Its in your original link a user said is it Warzone 2100 and you said no.

NP I come on the site alot so will do my best to maintain it. Yeh thats why I created it I hated seeing users questions includiing my own just vanish into the depths of the forums after 30mins.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@X19: thanks for posting my question friend. This game always troubles me every few years
wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By wrathofconn
@X19: Yo, I've got a game for this thread.

It was a racing game that I played on the PC, and it was probably only for the PC. Felt like it might have been from a foreign developer. I remember playing it around the same time as 1NSANE, so maybe 2004-05. You could race as anything from real fast go-karts to tour buses, and all types of vehicles could be in the same race. Some real locations like Corsica, but just fake road courses, not real tracks.

I know there were no pickups or powerups, but there may have been some mechanism for dropping spikes or oil slicks. Could be confusing that with another game though. Don't think there was much of a campaign.

The only other thing I remember is that at the end of the opening cinematic, the black sports car loses it's license plate and when the camera zooms in on it, it says '2FAST4U'. Thanks for any help!
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ESREVER

Oh gawd, Six unanswered requests so far? I'll get on it tomorrow.  
Also, I'm pretty sure SuperMike's request was Chameleon Twist. There weren't too many chameleon games for the n64 to my knowledge.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Castro
@X19 said:
" @X19:  It was on the PC around 1995-97  You played as a futuristic spaceship in a 3D world on a planets surface somewhere in space.  The first cutscene was of your ship being raised on a platform from underground to the surface, I remember flashing red siren lights on the sides of the platform.  You were then in game and had to take off from a runway and take out futuristic mini cities like their radar towers etc.  Thats all I can remember. "
The first thing that came to mind is a game that I don't remember the title of. I think that it was only available on CD-ROM and it was a first person jobber where you flew around in space on rails and there was just a targeting reticule. While trying to find the title of that game, I remembered Terminal Velocity and I'm thinking that might be it?
Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n00d13z: Either Carnivores, or Carnivores 2
Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Castro
@wrathofconn:  I did some searching and I found a page at Home of the Underdogs for a German developed racing game from 1996 called "2 Fast 4 U." I couldn't find any record of it at Mobygames or any other websites though and the one screenshot that's provided doesn't show any of the more ridiculous vehicles, but it might be worth taking a gander at.
wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wrathofconn
@Castro: Hmm, that definitely isn't it, but thanks for looking that up. When I was looking for it on Home of the Underdogs I didn't manage to find even that page. I know the title of the game wasn't 2FAST4U, at least here in the states, but that did come up in the intro movie.

It wasn't a futuristic game, contemporary cars and tracks. I'll keep trying to track it down, and I will check back here. Definitely from after 2000 though, the graphics were pretty good at the time.
megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By megasoum

All right, here we go. I remember playing a game on pc around 1995-96. It was a on-rail shooter using the mouse to shoot. It was in full motion video and I remember that the mouse cursor would change depending on what gun you were using. As far as I can remember it was maybe a bit futuristic but still realistic (think Robocop) and I'm pretty sure you could get real weapons (M-16, Chainguns, etc). I think you were playing some kind of cops who had to stop (aka kill lol) a bunch of street gangs. I think it was on 2 or more cd-roms back then.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Castro
@wrathofconn:  Bummer. Well, do you think you'd remember the name if you saw it? I was thinking that you might be able to go to Mobygames and do a search for Windows racing games from 2004, 2005 and so on until you saw something familiar. Also, was this a fairly big release? Is it something that most people would have heard of like 1NSANE?
wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wrathofconn
@Castro
@wrathofconn:  Bummer. Well, do you think you'd remember the name if you saw it? I was thinking that you might be able to go to Mobygames and do a search for Windows racing games from 2004, 2005 and so on until you saw something familiar. Also, was this a fairly big release? Is it something that most people would have heard of like 1NSANE?
I'll give that strategy a shot tomorrow. It's possible that I'd recognize the name but I don't feel like I'm about to remember it or anything. I don't think it was big, I'm pretty sure I just saw it at EB and bought it rather than hearing about it in a magazine or from a friend.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By X19
@Castro:  I watched some videos of  Terminal Velocity, Fury3 and its very much like those games but I do remember having to take off from a runway. Thanks all the same.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By X19
@Megasoum:  Remember to reply to me if you have a question because I nearly didn't notice this one. I have add your question to the table.
zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By zero_

So there's this one game I remember playing back in the late 90s - a PC game that was basically a golf game, except your gold balls were explosive and you had to shoot objects in the background like cows and shit and watch them explode as you racked up points. Anyone remember that one?

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By X19

I have updated the thread to make it easier for users to find questions. 

There are currently 9 questions that have not been answered. Take a look and see if you know the answer and if you are correct your name will be put on    

The Giantbomb Community "Can't remember the name of this game" Table Of Knowledge Table

Thanks in advance
Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By Brenderous

It was a side scrolling platformer kendo game for the NES. 

In single player you fought monsters in the world. 

In multiplayer two players faced off in a kendo ring. You used the arrow buttons to do different attacks (high, low etc.) 

I'm not sure if it was ever released in NA. I played it on one of those NES carts that had a bunch of games on it.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By X19
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#48  Edited By BeachThunder

Just posting to say that I think this should be stickied. I'm sure most people either have a game they can't name or have the ability to help someone find the name of a game.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ESREVER
@Brenderous: This might be a little bit of a stretch, but is it Musashi no Ken - Tadaima Shugyou Chuu   

The Famicom game has two modes. The single player mode depicts Musashi in the middle of his training. He must run through several obstacle courses collecting swords and other items along the way. At the same time, his pet Akita will be running the course behind him. Musashi must not fall too far behind his dog. After completing three courses, Musashi will be entered into a Kendo tournament. He must defeat five competitors to win the tournament. The swords that Musashi collects during the obstacle courses provide him with access to special strike moves if he has collected enough. If you succeed in winning, the game will continue from the beginning at a higher level of difficulty. After winning the championship a second time, the game is over.

The second mode is a two player vs. mode. Each player selects from a roster of competitors, and selects them secretly by pressing different inputs on the control pad. Once five selections have been made, the selections are revealed. Each player then squares off in a Kendo match with each of their selections. The winner is the player with three or more victories.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By weegieanawrench
@X19: To me this sounds like Hellbender. I have fond memories of this game and the time frame seems about right too.