The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread v2.0

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Zlimness
@MoggyGetro:  You know, it looks a lot like the game I'm looking for. Especially the effect when the water is flowering after a water bubble has popped. The year seems spot on too. It's definitely somewhere around that period 1988-1992. That game is also for the arcade and it's exactly that kind of style.

The only thing that doesn't seem right is the pacing. I remember it being much faster and looking slightly more archaic. But it was a very long time since I played it so I can't remember much. I'm going to look at some videos and see if Taito made any sort of predecessor to this game. But it could very well be that game I'm looking for. It sure looks a lot like what I remember.  Thanks for the suggestion.
WpnX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By WpnX
@X19 - Thanks for the message. It seems great minds think alike. 

The only other thing I can think of is Urban Assault, which was like Incoming with an RTS overlay and worse visuals.

Box Art
Box Art
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By X19
@zlimness: Please let me know if it is so I can update the table.
Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Zlimness
@X19:  Pretty sure it's the game I'm looking for. You can go ahead and update!
MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#55  Edited By MightyDuck

Here's a game I've been trying to find the title of for quite some time.

As a kid I had a few PC games that were more educational.  Anyway, this one I'm thinking of, dealt with being underwater.

You would swim through various screens looking for clues, and had a gun that shot bubbles, I believe.  Anyway, the clues would be something along the lines of, "Three Blue Crabs" or "Four Red Anemones" and then you'd have to find them once you got all the clues.  Once you were done with all that, it would show a screen with a rainbow coming out of the water leading to an island and showing how many total points you had.

This was more cartoonish, and I'm talking mid 90's here most likely.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By ESREVER
MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#57  Edited By MightyDuck
@ESREVER: 
Yep that's the one!

Wow, I played that game a ton as a kid in 1st and 2nd grade.

Thanks for the stroll through memory lane!
buhssuht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By buhssuht
@X19: It was an arcade game that was played between 1995~2000. I'm not sure if the other platform version of the game exist sadly 
it involves 1 ~ 2 players controlling robots, and the gameplay style is almost similar as Streets of Rage, X-man, or Simpsons game. 
The catch was that whenever the players destroy certain special enemies or bosses, they can take their special parts such as legs, or weapons. 
The game characters were in sprites, not 3d models, just in case someone thought of Armored Core series.
WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
@buhssuht said:
" @X19: It was an arcade game that was played between 1995~2000. I'm not sure if the other platform version of the game exist sadly it involves 1 ~ 2 players controlling robots, and the gameplay style is almost similar as Streets of Rage, X-man, or Simpsons game. The catch was that whenever the players destroy certain special enemies or bosses, they can take their special parts such as legs, or weapons. The game characters were in sprites, not 3d models, just in case someone thought of Armored Core series. "
This sounds like Cyborg Justice.

No Caption Provided
buhssuht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By buhssuht
@WatanabeKazuma: Close, the sprites were bulkier than that. Thanks for trying anyway
Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By Red Rum

There was this PS2 (or PS1) game, it starred this samurai whose body parts were stolen from him (around 40) by demons when he was a baby, and his parts were replaced with cyborg components. The cyborg parts have weapons built into them. The game starts in black and white, but it turns to color when he gets his eye back (the first body part). There was also this little kid who was his companion; I knew you could play as the kid, but I don't remember if it was a boy or a girl. Anyone know what game I'm talking about? Please help.

Csaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Csaint
@red_rum:  http://www.giantbomb.com/blood-will-tell-tezuka-osamus-dororo/61-11334 

Now the game I'm lookin' for is a bit hard to describe. It's an educational game that I used to play when I was a kid in the mid 90's. I remember the "Main menu" of it, if it was, was basically the interior of your room and the most memorable thing about that game is the parrot on the left side of the room I believe. Every time you click on him he makes the exact same catchy tone that I used to listen to over and over again. 
I miss that game!
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By DukeTogo
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DukeTogo
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By cookiemonster
@DukeTogo: Sadly, no but thanks anyway. I'm now starting to think this game could be a figure of my imagination. 
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DukeTogo
MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MistaSparkle

Can somebody help me determine which Dragon Ball Z game I'm thinking of? I know it had a couple new characters including a little chubby girl that looked like Dora the Explorer, that red guy with a sword that appears in the intro video to the raging blast 2 QL, and super 17. It was on PS2. It was before the 360 and PS3 were released. If anyone can help me out on this one that would be awesome, because this is the best Dragon Ball Z game, in my opinion, and the new ones are terrible. Thanks!

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By X19
@DukeTogo: Smedles has disappeared off the face of the planet. These are the answers which have already been given on the old thread but he hasn't replied to any of them.

Btw you can reply to buhsshut directly as the question is on page 3 of this thread.

Infexis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Infexis

I think this is the place to ask :p  

Anyways, there's two games I'm looking for. First one involved frogs, you could play 2 players on it and it didn't really have a story mode or anything like that. You jumped around trying to kill the other player and there was an excessive amount of gore in it, it was a very pixelated game. I think it was called Splash or something like that... But I don't know. 

Second game was 3D, you were a huge robot on a battlefield, you were the prototype of the robot and it started as a walker but you could fly with it and you could have a bunch of diffrent weapons and modes. There was a 2 player mode too. Very memorable game. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Godot
@MistaSparkle said:

" Can somebody help me determine which Dragon Ball Z game I'm thinking of? I know it had a couple new characters including a little chubby girl that looked like Dora the Explorer, that red guy with a sword that appears in the intro video to the raging blast 2 QL, and super 17. It was on PS2. It was before the 360 and PS3 were released. If anyone can help me out on this one that would be awesome, because this is the best Dragon Ball Z game, in my opinion, and the new ones are terrible. Thanks! "

The red guy you're thinking of is Janemba (god why do I remember his name haha). If you look on his list he's only been in 4 DBZ games on the PS2 (out of the millions released overall) so there's a good chance it's one of those. Unfortunately my mind doesn't stretch back far enough to recall the Dora girl, and Super 17 has probably been in every DBZ game under the sun, so other than that I can't help you I'm afraid :\
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By X19
@buhssuht: DukeTogo asked if it was  Robo Army 

@MistaSparkle: Remember if you work it out yourself let me know.
IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By IkariNoTekken
buhssuht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By buhssuht
@DukeTogo: No, the robots were more of tanks than humanoid robot or android. 

@X19: Wrong again. can you add that Robots were just as big as tanks in the game in the description?
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By X19
@buhssuht: Done i just copied it in.
LooM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By LooM

I'm searching for two games which I can't remember the name of..  It's an RTS and a RPG. 
 The RTS is really old, but I'm not sure how old, since at the time I was playing it, I wasn't fairly aged myself.. I remember the word Dracula.. for some strange reason, I'm convinced it has something to do with the game.. Anyway, gameplay was based, at start at a overview, where you could see all the lands of the game, then you could invade different countries/lands that were bordering your already occupied zones.. As I remember, there were actually only 3 types of units, and you had to get the resources of different lands, in order to build them. It was sword soldiers, archers and canons.. (I remember the canons could just move by themself, no persons were attached - looked slightly funky).  Again.. Something about dracula rings a bell, not sure why.. 

The RPG game was an old amiga game.. I was even younger when I played that, especially because it seemed to be made by some in Finland, the language was strange at least ;).. The name I recall had something about Legion in it?  You had an overview map, where you could travel from place to place, and you'd get random encounters, or you could sack towns etc, buy from shops in 'em.. I remember there were these troll like creatures, Kobolds or something like that they were called.. Which were extremely hard hitting, but also died quite easily..    
When you attacked a city/village/fortress, you would have to throw rocks/stuff at walls in order to get in and kill the defenders to win.. 

Hope somebody has any clue what I'm talking about :D

DigitalNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#76  Edited By DigitalNinja

Awesome thread!

Ok I really hope someone can answer this, been looking for this arcade game forever!

- A 2D arcade fighting game in the 90's, I am pretty sure it was between 91-93. 

- It was very similar to Street Smart but it came out a couple of years later, I want to say it was a Street Smart sequel but from everything I have searched for on the net says that SNK never made a direct sequel and this was a standalone arcade game, it is also not Art of Fighting or any of it's sequels .

-  It had 2 main character's just like Street Smart with a Karate Fighter in a white Gi and Black belt and an All American style of character (I believe somewhere on the character was the US Flag or flag like red and white stripes) you can choose from . I am pretty sure you could ONLY select 1 of the 2 characters, a second player could join in as the other character and fight vs or coop with you.

-  You could also fight a 2v1 battle against a single AI opponent if I remember correctly.

-  The character Sprites were quite large, seemed larger than normal Street Fighter and other SNK fighter sprites, and the gameplay felt more loose than your typical Street Fighter clone. 

I have asked other people and they suggested that it could be Solitary Fighter but it's not it.  I have looked through several obscure 2D fighting game threads but have never seen it :(. I am not sure if this will help or not but I remember playing it at an arcades at Hershey Park in Pennsylvania. I know it's not a lot to go on but I thought I would put it out there and hope someone might know the game.

Thanks

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Caligula
@MistaSparkle said:

" Can somebody help me determine which Dragon Ball Z game I'm thinking of? I know it had a couple new characters including a little chubby girl that looked like Dora the Explorer, that red guy with a sword that appears in the intro video to the raging blast 2 QL, and super 17. It was on PS2. It was before the 360 and PS3 were released. If anyone can help me out on this one that would be awesome, because this is the best Dragon Ball Z game, in my opinion, and the new ones are terrible. Thanks! "

DragonBallZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3

No Caption Provided

Smedles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Smedles
@WpnX said:
" @ Smedles  
(or @X19 rather)

Sounds like you're talking about Incoming:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
"
Quest Complete!  The game I was thinking of was Incoming Forces.  Thanks for the help.  Sorry for not responding to your messages X19, I've not been that active on the site recently. 
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#79  Edited By damnboyadvance

Ok, I've been looking for this game for a very long game. It was a racing game on the SNES. The only real details I remember is that you could only advance if you were around 1st-3rd place, and there were pit stops on the later tracks.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By X19
@Smedles: I saw you hadn't been on so no worries. 

Also I finally got one right as I left this answer on the  old thread 

Edit: Damn I just realised you said it was Incoming: Forces and not Incoming: The Final Conflict :(
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Caligula
@X19: you can remove Mista Sparkle from the list of unanswered. I just answered his and he Pm'ed me telling me i was right
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By X19
@Caligula: Thanks for letting me know.
DemonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By DemonWolf

Hey all. I am looking for 2 games. The first I last played about 10 years ago. It was a game that started out in a side view of a bunker and you could pick one of 3 vehicles (possibly 4). A jeep that could go out onto water, a tank and a helicopter. Each had their own abilities and unique bonus. Once a vehicle had been selected, it went to the surface and then the game was a sort of open roaming top down shooting game. The graphics were not horrible, but they were not exactly high standard. There was colour and some decent explosions. The second game I am looking for was a little more recent. I played it in 2003 but I am unsure when it was made. It was sort of like Delta Force (open world objective based) but you were in a hover tank. I have hunted online and found HoverTank 3D and various others, but not the one I was looking for. I remember you could have "wing men" and customize your tank. It was a 3rd person game. Much more on the second one, I am unable to remember clearly. Both games were on PC.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#84  Edited By korolev

There was this one game for the PC - it wasn't very well known, I don't think. It was a puzzle game in which you controlled a character with green suspenders and a green bowler hat, walking around rooms that contained death traps that were usually laser beams. You had to step on switches or move mirrors to redirect the beams, and if you walked into a beam, you'd be treated to a close up of you Character's body with a hole in it (no blood or anything, just a clean hole through the stomach), and then the character would fall over dead. This game was made in the very early 90's, I think. The main character was also a kid, and I think he was black, but I'm not sure about that. 

Anyway, it was a reasonable puzzle game but seeing my character being lasered to death repeatedly freaked me out when I was four years old.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By Ramone

I doubt whether anyone will know this but here goes nothing. O.K it was a PC game from the 90's where you controlled a group of astronauts on some sort of space station. It was sort of point and click but from a RTS top-down perspective. Does anyone know it?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#86  Edited By BeachThunder
@Korolev said:
" There was this one game for the PC - it wasn't very well known, I don't think. It was a puzzle game in which you controlled a character with green suspenders and a green bowler hat, walking around rooms that contained death traps that were usually laser beams. You had to step on switches or move mirrors to redirect the beams, and if you walked into a beam, you'd be treated to a close up of you Character's body with a hole in it (no blood or anything, just a clean hole through the stomach), and then the character would fall over dead. This game was made in the very early 90's, I think. The main character was also a kid, and I think he was black, but I'm not sure about that.  Anyway, it was a reasonable puzzle game but seeing my character being lasered to death repeatedly freaked me out when I was four years old. "
No Caption Provided
:3
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ESREVER
@X19: @Landon: 

Ok, this game was on the Sega Genisis. You played as this tall guy with blond hair that covered his eyes and the only thing he wore was a red shorts, it was possibly a bathing suit.  
His only form of attack was a frisbee, I believe. On some levels you could grab a skateboard or a pair of roller skates.  
 I remember the first few levels took place in a jungle.     

Couldn't find his original post that requested the game, but saw it in the table. I'm pretty the game he is looking for is Wonder Boy. Pretty much a clone of the Adventure Island series.
No Caption Provided
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#88  Edited By mylifeforAiur
jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#89  Edited By jaqen_hghar
@X19:  I think I have the game   n00d13z from the last thread was looking for. Never played it myself, but I saw a video fitting the description from the 4playerpodcast people. It is either Carnivores or Carnivores 2.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ESREVER
@Durandir: Yea, we're pretty sure his game is Carnivores 1 or 2. Its been pending for awhile, we're just waiting for a response from him. But everything from those games seem to match up perfectly to his description. 
We don't want to confirm it until he says it is. 

Also, I have updated the QotM to: 

CookieMonster   Not Answered

@X19:  
   "Hmmm. He looked like Link from legend of zelda? And the graphics were pretty cartoony. And if it helps, I think the title was made up of more than one word."    

"Its a game I've been trying to remember the name of for aaages. It was for the Sega Mega Drive, and I think it was a side-scrolling platformer, based on that mythical/medieval style of shit (possibly). The closest game I can relate to it is that second Legend of Zelda game that was a side scroller. Sorry if my description is crap, but it was a very long time ago.   If anybody even has the faintest idea what I am on about, its a miracle. "     

So get to it!
jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By jaqen_hghar
@ESREVER:  Oh, ok :P This is the first time I have seen this thread, so I thought I might be helping. 
I do have a few games I can't seem to remember as well as I'd like, so I'll most likely make a post soon with those. 

@X19: Don't want to double post, so I hope you get a note when I edit this in. If not, I'll just PM you if you don't see this.  

I got two games I'd like to find. 

It's a PC game where you control a submarine. I believe it was yellow. You shoot torpedoes, and one of the enemies I remember are piranhas. It was very colorful and cartoony. Not sure about the year, but I'd guess 1990-1998 or something. It was when I was young, and I am 23 now. 

Another PC game. You have either a top-down view or an isometric view. You play a guy, with guns that change when you pick up powerups. It was kind of a bullet-hell game, because a lot happened on the screen at once. You cleared out room after room, exiting them like you would in the old Zelda games. At the end of the stage, which was the end of the demo I had, you fought a giant boss.   

I am trying desperately to remember more from these games, but that is all I remember.
Spoike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Spoike

I'm looking for a sandbox-y Amiga game, which I loved playing around with and help me learning english. It was lost when my dad decided to format the disk and put something else in it. I'm pretty sure the title screen said the game was from "Sierra On-Line" but whenever I check their games list I can't find it. So it may have been some kind of a unfinished demo. 

The game, IIRC, was a very simple Sierra adventure game done in their CLI engine at the time. The graphics are similar to the era of the early Kings Quest and Police Quest games. It only had two screens, the title screen and the other was of a cross-section of a house.  The house was about 4-5 storeys high, with 1-2 rooms in each. I remember the bottom floor had the kitchen and the living room, and the top floor was an attic. The stair well was next to the center of the screen.

You controlled a bobbing-headed dude (that ominously stared at the player almost all the time) that walked around by himself and interacted with the objects in the house. You could only control the dude by writing commands like "go to kitchen", "go to attic" and so on where he would walk over there. If you could figure out what the objects were you could interact with them as well such as "sit on couch" (I remember the attic had one of those old style vinyl record player). The game however, would crash if the character exited the mansion or went inside the closet (which leads me to believe it was an unfinished demo). 

Still if anyone else has it or knows where to find it, I'd be in nostalgia heaven.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ESREVER
@Durandir: Sounds like #2 is very similar to, if not, Smash TV. Was the game like that one?  

If could be Total Carnage. It essentially was the spiritual successor to Smash TV, and it was on the PC. 

On second thought, it might not be Total Carnage. It doesn't share the Zelda-esque rooms that Smash TV had.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#94  Edited By BeachThunder
@Durandir said:
@X19:1. It's a PC game where you control a submarine. I believe it was yellow. You shoot torpedoes, and one of the enemies I remember are piranhas. It was very colorful and cartoony. Not sure about the year, but I'd guess 1990-1998 or something. It was when I was young, and I am 23 now."
No Caption Provided
^___^
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ESREVER
@Durandir said:

" @X19: Don't want to double post, so I hope you get a note when I edit this in. If not, I'll just PM you if you don't see this.   I got two games I'd like to find.  1. It's a PC game where you control a submarine. I believe it was yellow. You shoot torpedoes, and one of the enemies I remember are piranhas. It was very colorful and cartoony. Not sure about the year, but I'd guess 1990-1998 or something. It was when I was young, and I am 23 now.  "

#1 might be Operation Neptune, another The Learning Company game.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By jaqen_hghar
@ESREVER: Smash TV is the closest, but it's not quite there. I think the player was smaller. But it is very very close! 

@BeachThunder: Not it, but also very close! I think it might be a bit newer, as the graphics I remember was a bit more polished. Of  course, that might be my memory being wrong. But that isn't it at least. If I see the first level I'll recognize it right away, which I didn't with Dr. Riptide. 

@ESREVER: No, Riptide was closer. Was no learning going on in this game as all as far as I know. Other than learning kids to stay the hell away from Piranhas.
Spoike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Spoike
@hejklyscha: that looks like it! though I must've had another version of it, the house layout was a bit different and there was no dog following you around (must've gotten a broken copy of the game somehow back in those days).
SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#98  Edited By SubwayD
@DemonWolf said:
"

It was a game that started out in a side view of a bunker and you could pick one of 3 vehicles (possibly 4). A jeep that could go out onto water, a tank and a helicopter. Each had their own abilities and unique bonus. Once a vehicle had been selected, it went to the surface and then the game was a sort of open roaming top down shooting game. The graphics were not horrible, but they were not exactly high standard. There was colour and some decent explosions. "

It  had all classical music for the soundtrack and whenever you got blown up, a skull would fly at the screen and go "Mwah ha ha HA ha haa!" ? 
That totally sounds like Return Fire      
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By X19
@ESREVER: I know he posted on this page so he must of deleted it. 
jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By jaqen_hghar
@X19: Been looking myself, and I got something to add to my question. 
2: 
This shoot 'em up type game is a mix between R-type and Smash TV. Graphically I think R-Type is the closest, while the game screen and such seems to be closer in Smash TV. 
Still cannot find it. Don't think it was very popular, but I didn't have internet back then so what do I know. 

EDIT: 
I think I found it myself actually. Operation Carnage. Unless someone knows of a game that is incredibly similar, this is it. I saw it as soon as I started that video. Man, that took many hours of searching. When I halfway remember a game like this, I just cannot stop looking till I find it. Still got the submarine game to find though.