The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread v3.0

Viatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#851  Edited By Viatch

Hi everyone. I have been searching for a game based upon the following description. Any help would be great!

- Online Multiplayer Game - PC (may have been available through Steam as this was where i played 95% of my games)

- Was available as a free to play online demo but purchase to include more features.

- Had to be within the last 4-9 years since graphics were pretty decent.

- The free demo came with one race which resembled Indians. Pay version had some sort of beasts and maybe a 3rd race.

- Each round started off with both teams controlling units in 3rd person.

- I believe I remember having to attack (hit) either a gold mine or something (maybe NPC units) to gain money/gold for our team. The money was then used to upgrade the units (armor/attack) and unlock new ones. I believe there was some ranged unit and a high hitpoint unit.

- Each time you die, you had to wait a limited amount of time before you can spawn again with a new unit.

- It was a WASD game with mouse clicking to attack.

The image that keeps popping into my head is seeing my Indian unit swinging his axe at either structures or other players to gain resources and then being upgraded as the round went on. Its even possible that I had to return to base to drop off these resources. If I died, I had to respawn but could pick a different unit if they were available. Each round was a good 30minutes to an hour and your name was displayed with score (I believe)

Thank you much!

Jaskar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viatch said:

Hi everyone. I have been searching for a game based upon the following description. Any help would be great!

- Online Multiplayer Game - PC (may have been available through Steam as this was where i played 95% of my games)

- Was available as a free to play online demo but purchase to include more features.

- Had to be within the last 4-9 years since graphics were pretty decent.

- The free demo came with one race which resembled Indians. Pay version had some sort of beasts and maybe a 3rd race.

- Each round started off with both teams controlling units in 3rd person.

- I believe I remember having to attack (hit) either a gold mine or something (maybe NPC units) to gain money/gold for our team. The money was then used to upgrade the units (armor/attack) and unlock new ones. I believe there was some ranged unit and a high hitpoint unit.

- Each time you die, you had to wait a limited amount of time before you can spawn again with a new unit.

- It was a WASD game with mouse clicking to attack.

The image that keeps popping into my head is seeing my Indian unit swinging his axe at either structures or other players to gain resources and then being upgraded as the round went on. Its even possible that I had to return to base to drop off these resources. If I died, I had to respawn but could pick a different unit if they were available. Each round was a good 30minutes to an hour and your name was displayed with score (I believe)

Thank you much!

Sounds a bit like Savage 2.

Viatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaskar:

YES!! Wow. I googled the first Savage and that is the exact game I used to play. I'm excited to try out Savage 2!

SigmaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been trying to remember the name of a game recently and the problem is I've never played it myself, so I don't have much to work with. From what I remember:

-It's either a Dreamcast or PS1 game

-Pretty sure it wasn't released outside of Japan

-Polygonal open world game where you can drive around a small(?) town

-The character was mainly talking to townsfolk and entering buildings, like a diner for example

-In the part that I saw, the town was completely covered in snow

I mainly remember it because it seemed very similar to Deadly Premonition and I've been meaning to try it. Thanks in advance.

FCRomario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello guys,

I have been looking for a game for a while and I was wondering if you could help me I used to play it somewhere around 1995-1997 on PC. I can remember little about the game, but the things I remember can maybe be quite specific.

- It was a sidescroller

- As already said, I used to play it on PC. I am almost 100 percent sure when I wanted to start up the game, I had to type in 'joshua' in DOS, right after typing in 'c:/'

- I am almost 100 percent sure as well that it contained only 5 levels.

- I think but am not totally sure that level 2 was an Egypt or Aztec themed level.

- One of the levels contained laundry lines in the background, as far as I can remember

- In between the levels, an image shortly introducing the levels was shown

- It is not the Yogho Yogho game

I know this is not the most extensive description ever, but it is really the only thing I can remember about the game. I really hope there is someone who can help, would be much appreciated!

onleeben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onleeben said:

There's another game I remember. I think it was out between 2000 and 2004. I think it was an rpg. I also think it was on ps2 or ps1.

I only have faint memories, but I remember you swing on a vine past a guy who's selling upgrades that you have to go back to buy later on in the game. Also, you have to use items you get from people to go further in the game. For example, you get a mask and a paddle and you use it to get over a lake or a river.

That's all I remember, please help!

Last bump, come on guys pls solve my problems for me :P

CallMeTetris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#857  Edited By CallMeTetris
tbergman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#858  Edited By tbergman

EDIT: Resolved: Pharaoh's Ascent, 1998

Okay. Been looking for a game I used to play when I was a kid. It was an Egypt themed game, probably shareware--from a Software USA disc, if I recall correctly. Some form of puzzle/platformer, where you played an anubis-esque character, who pushed sand blocks around to get to the exit of each level.

1. Not sure. Like I say below, it was a 95/98 game, I think. Definitely 1990-2000.
  2. Definitely PC. Shareware, probably either Win95/Win98.
  3. Puzzle/Platformer
  4. Graphics mostly tan, sand and such. not the best graphics, as i recall--not sure what public thought. I found it quite challenging.
  5. Not sure who intended audience was--my whole family enjoyed it.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#859  Edited By turboman

I doubt this will happen, but why not?

I was really young and my brother had this PC FMV game. I remember very little about it other than a few things and it was my first ever PC game. Definitely mid-90's

1. I think you played as a girl, though this might not be the case.
  2. The game opened at some kind of boat hanger in the middle of the water.
  3. In the beginning of the game, you walk down some sort of hallway where somebody tells you to slowly turn around, if you don't follow their instructions, they will shoot and kill you.
  4. There's a gun turret sequence where you're taking down aircraft(?) at some point in the game.

Good Luck.

Maiorianus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#860  Edited By Maiorianus

It was an old game for PC. If I remember well, I played it the last time nine-ten years ago, but probably I had it for much longer (probably before the 2000s, but I'm not sure).

It was a sort of airfighter simulator, located in future times or something similar.

I remember there were at least three factions or more, and one thing I can remember very well it is that there was a European faction, with purple (or violet)- coloured aircrafts, which I loved, but it was not playable (or, at least, this is what I remember).

The first aircraft you could use had a white-red (maybe also blue) colour scheme

Unfortunately, this is all what I remember.

I hope someone can help me.

Avatar image for gravitys4losers
Gravitys4losers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please please please oh god please someone tell me the name of an old mac game I've been searching for the last few weeks.

I remember you play as a kid trying to save his parents, and you walk around fighting different animals. I remember loving it as a kid, but I just can't remember the name and it's killing me.

FuryanAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#862  Edited By FuryanAssassin

Okay so there was this game for PC, it was set in Ancient Egypt, inside tombs/pyramids all the time. Third-person, 2-d (3d graphics) puzzle solving, you could remove blocks of sand and had to solve a puzzle on each level.

You had to watch out for (zombies) and spiders. I think you had a staff with you but I'm not sure. I remember the .exe file named "Pharaoh" but I searched for Pharaoh everywhere and I can't find it. Anyone else played it???????

mrjewlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was born 1988 and played a game on NES ( no idea how old I was) I only played it as a multiplayer. The characters were dressed in what I believe were motorcycle outfits with helmets on. One was red and the other blue. It was a side scroller fighting game and I think the first level was on a bridge. I never beat the first level but played it enough to remember it. Thanks in advance

Avatar image for whiteforestparkrangr
WhiteForestParkRangr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman That sounds fairly reminiscent of the hybrid adventure/on-rails shooter game thingy, Cyberia. Definitely a unique and memorable little game with an unnerving sci-fi atmosphere (during the on-foot "adventure" parts). While certainly flawed, it was one of the better games I could find for my ill-fated 3DO at the time and holds a fair bit of nostalgia for me .

Loading Video...

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

liam_bowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

/BUMP #plzguys

This was a pc game from the early-mid 2000's, I think I got the demo version from a sampler disc in a pc game magazine

it was a 2d topdown space mining game where you had a central ship and could send out smaller ships from your main ship to mine various resources from asteroids and use them to upgrade your tech. As far as I remember I didnt seem to have much of a plot and just consisted of floating throigh space and getting your ship as huge as possible

any ideas what this could be?

thanks everyone

TobenderZephyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello fellas, i've got some hard nuts for you, both (IIRC) with time travelling settings.

Shortly after Windows 95 has been released i played a demo of a (directx 3) sidescrolling jump&run / puzzle game.
The setting was a bit like Jurassic Park, but i believe you where travelling through time (?)
The first scene i remember was a man hanging in a tree with his parachute so you had to use your knife to fall onto the ground.
Shortly afterwards you were already facing some dinosaurs and you had to trap or avoid them. You also had to solve puzzles
(like pushing rocks, etc..) to go further. [Later, you came down into a basement / facility]

The other one was around '96 to '98. I also played only a demo. This was a 3d 3rd person shooter game. You were travelling through time and
the first (and only thing) I remember was being in a town in the wild west with many cowboys shooting at you.
That's everything I know about this one.

It's killing me not to know their namens. Thanks in advance!! :)

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#868  Edited By Raven10

@tobenderzephyr: I'm pretty sure I know the game you are talking about. I have some terrible port on my iPod but my iPod is dead right now so reply to this in like 6 hours or something if I haven't gotten back to you and I'll check what the name is.

Lucien21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#869  Edited By Lucien21

@tobenderzephyr: First game was called Bermuda Syndrome and was a Flashback like game.

Loading Video...

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#870  Edited By damodar
daedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello all,

I have been searching for a game that I played back sometime in the late 90's or early 2000's, and I hope you are able to identify it.

This is a 3D-looking PC game set in a space-base (think Doom 3) where the player plays as a red robot of some sort... it may have also been a person in a robocop-like suit. I recall red being a predominant color and the soundtrack being quite fantastic. It's somewhere between third-person and top-down in that the perspective was not directly top down, but angled and far above the character. It was a shooter, but it also had puzzles that needed solving to progress through the levels. I recall it came on a CD, and might have been included with a GFX card purchase at the time.

I apologize about the sparsity of the details but it's been many years, and I've played many games since then. I have been looking for it close to a year now but I can't seem to pinpoint it...

Your help is much appreciated.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daedal said:

Hello all,

I have been searching for a game that I played back sometime in the late 90's or early 2000's, and I hope you are able to identify it.

This is a 3D-looking PC game set in a space-base (think Doom 3) where the player plays as a red robot of some sort... it may have also been a person in a robocop-like suit. I recall red being a predominant color and the soundtrack being quite fantastic. It's somewhere between third-person and top-down in that the perspective was not directly top down, but angled and far above the character. It was a shooter, but it also had puzzles that needed solving to progress through the levels. I recall it came on a CD, and might have been included with a GFX card purchase at the time.

I apologize about the sparsity of the details but it's been many years, and I've played many games since then. I have been looking for it close to a year now but I can't seem to pinpoint it...

Sounds like a game from the Crusader series. So either Crusader: No Regret or Crusader: No Remorse.

daedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daedal said:

Hello all,

Sounds like a game from the Crusader series. So either Crusader: No Regret or Crusader: No Remorse.

Right! Funny enough I just came here to celebrate finding it... wish I'd asked earlier. Now I just need to buy it GOG :D

Thank you for the fast reply!

sleight5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping someone knows this game...

It was either late 90s early 2000, it was on the pc and it was very much like pokemon where you caught monsters and fought with them vs other people/monsters.

I think you started off inside a crystal forest of some sort.

If anyone thinks they know the game or can give me a hint it would be very appreciated

Thank You

TobenderZephyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#875  Edited By TobenderZephyr

@lucien21 said:

@tobenderzephyr: First game was called Bermuda Syndrome and was a Flashback like game.

@damodar said:

@tobenderzephyr: Could be Time Commando? That fits the description pretty well. I think the Wild West stuff was a bit later in the game, but maybe that's what the demo was?

Thanks, that's what i was looking for. But it seems they both aren't worth being played anymore. Didn't think they are so ugly. :))

CtrlMjollnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#876  Edited By CtrlMjollnir

The game I'm looking for is either a first or third-person hack-and-slash for the PC. I believe it came out mid to late 90's. One of the key mechanics of the game was using the mouse to control your weapon swing allowing you to easily target limbs for removal. i also remember what was either the first level or potentially some form of extra mission... anyways, you start t off hanging from the ceiling and you need to disarm and fight your captors so you can escape. Anyways that's about all i can remember. I hope that's enough. Cheers...

whitehall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ctrlmjollnir: It's Die by the Sword.

The one that's bugging me is a 90s pc game where your the commander of a futuristic military train which was driving round a network of rails in Russia or Siberia, some times your train could get attacked and you could also go to your office an click on a gun on your desk to kill yourself, ending the game. They're was also an engine room where you could control the coal mixture your guys were using. It had 2D hand drawn graphics.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ctrlmjollnir: It's Die by the Sword.

The one that's bugging me is a 90s pc game where your the commander of a futuristic military train which was driving round a network of rails in Russia or Siberia, some times your train could get attacked and you could also go to your office an click on a gun on your desk to kill yourself, ending the game. They're was also an engine room where you could control the coal mixture your guys were using. It had 2D hand drawn graphics.

I think you're looking for Transarctica (or Arctic Baron)

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I really cannot think of much to say about this one except its an old Game Gear title, it was a noir style side scrolling crime game, you play as a guy in a tan jacket.

PurpleOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#880  Edited By PurpleOddity

Ok, vaguest of vaguest memories from my childhood.

I think it was a megadrive/genisis title and it either was a rail-shooter, or had a rail-shooter sequence where you shot up a convenience store and bottles would smash and stuff.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigboss1911 said:

I really cannot think of much to say about this one except its an old Game Gear title, it was a noir style side scrolling crime game, you play as a guy in a tan jacket.

Could that be Chicago Syndicate? The cover shows a noir-ish guy in a tan jacket but in the actual game it looks green, not sure.

Ok, vaguest of vaguest memories from my childhood.

I think it was a megadrive/genisis title and it either was a rail-shooter, or had a rail-shooter sequence where you shot up a convenience store and bottles would smash and stuff.

Alien Storm was a beat em up that had these first person rail shooter sequences in a store-like setting. Could be that.

PurpleOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizencoffeecake: That's totally it, thanks! Here's the convenience store sequence I was thinking of:

Loading Video...

I've been trying to remember this game for years and years. Should have used this thread ages ago.

HamishGJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#883  Edited By HamishGJP

Greetings!

I've searched on and off for this game over the past several years, and each fruitless search further compounds my frustration. It isn't even anything particularly amazing from what I recall, but I played a lot of it when I was very young, and it has been ingrained in my mind. I found it on a PC User disc. I suspect it was released around '94 or '95 based on what I recall of the graphics and sound, but I could be wrong. I actually remember a great deal about the game, but the name of it eludes me. I believe it was only released as an MS-DOS game.

The game is a sort of pseudo-3D side-scroller in which you can move up and down. All the levels are some kind of research/military/industrial complex. The gameplay is repetitive and basic: hunt for keycards in the level, and kill every human being you see. It is quite violent and graphic: characters can and will explode with gore, fall to their knees for a while before dying, and so on (a delightful game to play while I was so young).

If I recall correctly, it opens with a bunch of guys discussing a project, and a person they plan to abduct for it. They're in a limo. They say he's perfect as they look over his files. The person they abduct is the protagonist. They knock him out and put him in an operating room, where they replace one of his forearms with a huge gun, amongst other things, turning him into a supersoldier. During the operation, however, he wakes up. His eyes glow bright yellow, and his expression gives the impression that he is not very pleased. He then proceeds to massacre all the good doctors.

Any ideas?

Popespacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#884  Edited By Popespacious

Ok, this has been plaguing me for about 10 years now. I used to play this computer game around 1998-2000 (don't know the exact date). It was a fps rpg. The biggest thing I remember from it was you could take chickens heads off then they would squawk around for a bit and die.

-I'm pretty sure it was an early 3D game. The graphics I remember were pretty good at the time, but pretty basic 3d.

-It was a fantasy game, collect sword, axe etc. had an rpg-ish feel, but I'm not sure if you leveled up at all

-I remember one of the first levels was focused around either a windmill or a water wheel house

-I believe you get an axe from a stack of wooden logs

-I remember being in a cave/dwarvenish dungeon

-I think the game was pre-windows xp era. Probably leaning heavily towards win 98. And it could have been made before 1998.

-This game was probably intended for teens to adults but i was playing it around 8 years old

I remember it was a really great game and would like to play it again.

Thanks!

jsk336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#886  Edited By jsk336

I'm trying to remember the name of an old pc game I played maybe 10-15 years ago. There are several things I remember about the game:

1) It's a Myst-type game where there is a time limit on solving the game

2) It takes place in space

3) I believe in the first scene you are a pilot of a ship and you crash land into a bay of another space-ship/space-station. I remember having to get out of the room while its on fire

4) You are allowed to stay on the ship and talk to the crew. You have to solve a sort of puzzle to get off the space station.

5) There is something going on with the crew of the ship - they are performing weird experiments with drugs on human subjects or something similarly unethical like that.

6) There is a scene in the game where you are in a 'dream' in which you are running through a field with crops and trying to find a way out, but cant. you have to wait until you wake up

7) If you don't get off the space station in time, I think they start using you as a test subject.

Thats about all i remember. if anyone knows this game, let me know! Thanks for the help :)

Avatar image for absolutegameface
absolutegameface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking for a 2d game with a character swapping mechanic (But not the swapper), a portal mechanic, and a shrinking mechanic.

The two characters had different abilities, they may have been robots....

I think this was within the last few years.

Thanks for your help!

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#889  Edited By ZolRoyce

@jsk336 said:

I'm trying to remember the name of an old pc game I played maybe 10-15 years ago. There are several things I remember about the game:

1) It's a Myst-type game where there is a time limit on solving the game

2) It takes place in space

3) I believe in the first scene you are a pilot of a ship and you crash land into a bay of another space-ship/space-station. I remember having to get out of the room while its on fire

4) You are allowed to stay on the ship and talk to the crew. You have to solve a sort of puzzle to get off the space station.

5) There is something going on with the crew of the ship - they are performing weird experiments with drugs on human subjects or something similarly unethical like that.

6) There is a scene in the game where you are in a 'dream' in which you are running through a field with crops and trying to find a way out, but cant. you have to wait until you wake up

7) If you don't get off the space station in time, I think they start using you as a test subject.

Thats about all i remember. if anyone knows this game, let me know! Thanks for the help :)

Sounds an awful lot like the game Sentient for the PS1/PC

Sentient

Loading Video...

war401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo! I am trying to find this game for ages and this game was an awesome FPS where at the 1st stage you would walk around and I think raptor looking creatures will attack you and you have to shoot them and then you come across this village which is under attack I think? then you kill the creatures and proceed to the next stage where I think a crocodile was there and a beach ball and if I recall there was also a picture of a village getting ready to be attacked by centaurs on the stage select.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there is a game i don't remember it's name played it lo0o0ng time ago...gameplay was about 2d side scrolling game (similler to limbo but with colors) a boy holding a laser rifle that fires a blue beam to kill a demon-like enemies if the demons grabbed the boy u will have to press left and right rapidly in order to break free otherwise they swallow him, i played it in 2004..anyone have any idea about this ? i need to know it's name really really badly, i even searched the whole giantbomb wiki to know it's name but no use :-(

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there is a game i don't remember it's name played it lo0o0ng time ago...gameplay was about 2d side scrolling game (similler to limbo but with colors) a boy holding a laser rifle that fires a blue beam to kill a demon-like enemies if the demons grabbed the boy u will have to press left and right rapidly in order to break free otherwise they swallow him, i played it in 2004..anyone have any idea about this ? i need to know it's name really really badly, i even searched the whole giantbomb wiki to know it's name but no use :-(

Heart of Darkness?

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking for a SNES RPG, it was set in a medieval environment. I don't remember there being any sort of party system, you just played as 1 character. I remember there being at least 4 or 5 different characters or classes to choose from, like Knight and Wizard maybe even Warlock? I think there were dragons as enemies and lots of green grass. I know this kind of describes any generic RPG from that era but it's all I remember, I was very young when I played it.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG !!

yes it's heart of darkness how did u find it that easy ? i was searching for this game for more than 5 years and u found it in less than 5 minutes !!!

u are a miracle man...this game holds a special place on my heart its where it all started..the first pc game i ever played :)

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG !!

yes it's heart of darkness how did u find it that easy ?

Man, I really don't know. Here's my complete experience with Heart of Darkness: I saw it playing on a store's TV back in 1998, and I thought it looked cool. That's it. For some reason, "side scrolling game" and "boy" was enough to trigger that memory even though that could have been a million games. I didn't remember the laser rifle or the demons, and the years didn't line up at all, but that was still the first game I checked. Weird.

war401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war401: I know it is a hard game to know the name but please someone help me it is bugging me for years...

war401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one seriously knows my game???

dusmance2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#898  Edited By dusmance2

Hey, can you help me find a game that i played long ago?

It has four heroes, one archer, a woman, a main hero, swordsman or something, maybe it has gate or something in name, you can build a village, the ship is your main base, you can build bakery, smelter, etc. Maybe something like virtual villagers or something like that. Please help! :D

Avatar image for cardinalscrow22
cardinalscrow22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, trying to remember the name of this game has been killing me on and off for years. Have only the vaguest description of what the game was about, so I'll be amazed (and extremely appreciative!) if anyone can come up with it.

It was a PC game, I'm thinking early or mid 90s since I played it as a kid. It was a kids game, but I don't remember it being strictly "educational." I guess you'd call it fantasy. I don't even really remember the gameplay. I wanna say it was set in an island in the clouds. There were all kinds of flying machines, like with balloons and stuff. I vaguely recall some sort of an "arena" mode, where you faced off against another flying machine. Other than that, I don't really have much to go on.

jsk336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#900  Edited By jsk336