The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread v3.0

Sprojler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just registered for this specific purpose, because it keeps VEXING me!
No google-search that I do, can actually seem to find this game...

Game I'm thinking about:

2D Side-scroller
Action and possibly platforming
Graphics are PAINTED.
Character: You play as a non-human, but human-like character. I think he had big fists? ( no, it's not Knuckles)
Story: You and your girlfriend and a third guy, are some kind of guardians of the earth or something. Third guy abducts your girl, and SEALS YOU within the core of the Earth. You are helpless while the earth is corrupted. Eventually you break free, and the game begins.

Generation: 64-bit and 32-bit consoles - Sega Saturn, Playstation 1, and Nintendo 64.
Release was at the start of this gen, and hence this game got unjustly PANNED by critics, for not being "next-gen", even though it definitely was, since the graphics was amazing, but simply 2D.
So probably released around 1995-1997.

What do you think, guys? Can this riddle be solved??

kamrat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

here's one I've been trying to find for a loooong time:

You are a little frog that fell down a big crater.
You are trying to get out by jumping your way back to the surface, jumping from cliff to cliff.
Controls are very simple - you can only chose to turn left or right and then adjust the jump strength.
Every time you misjudge the jump, you would fall back to the bottom (unless you stop on one of the cliffs on the way down).
Every now and then a big bat (or dragon) would fly by and if you were not behind cover, it would eat you.

It had a black background and relatively nice graphics (2D side view).
I would categorize it as slow action.

It was on ZX Spectrum (80% sure), C64 (10% chance) or Amstrad (10%). It was most likely made in the 80s.
Does it ring any bells?

Thanks!

kamrat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1254  Edited By kamrat7

here's one I've been trying to find for a loooong time:

You are a little frog that fell down a big crater.
You are trying to get out by jumping your way back to the surface, jumping from cliff to cliff.
Controls are very simple - you can only chose to turn left or right and then adjust the jump strength.
Every time you misjudge the jump, you would fall back to the bottom (unless you stop on one of the cliffs on the way down).
Every now and then a big bat (or dragon) would fly by and if you were not behind cover, it would eat you.

It had a black background and relatively nice graphics (2D side view).
I would categorize it as slow action.

It was on ZX Spectrum (80% sure), C64 (10% chance) or Amstrad (10%). It was most likely made in the 80s.
Does it ring any bells?

Thanks!

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprojler: you talking about Astal?

http://www.giantbomb.com/astal/3030-13758/

Sprojler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantlizardking : IT IS ASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Big thanks, mate. Damn, why is this game so hard to find, whenever I googled it...?

Fun trivia - I've never actually played Astal, but I intend to. I just found it once, while aimlessly surfing for old games, a couple years back.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprojler: yeah man, no problem! I loved that game. Was the first non arcade port I played that generation so it made a pretty big impression on my young mind.

Avatar image for badassvikingninja
badassvikingninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Registered for this because I've been searching for like a week now but can't find it.

It's a fairly new-ish (2010 I think?) indie game released on PC.

I remember it was about going on rails and trying to go as fast as you can, also had an open world where you could complete 'quests' of sorts (Like collect all these boxes in a minute or something)

The open world was also very vibrant, it was mainly light purple and yellow.

Also, for some reason, you had a phone where you could play a game where you killed monsters, I remember one quest was getting some giant bird to carry you around then playing this game and trying to beat it.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Found it, called Zineth

Mr_Bumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi guys, new challenge

This old PC game had 3 characters, two males and a kind of a wizard woman. One of the males have kinda wolverine claws and you can use them to climb and reach the ceiling to avoid enemies, his storyline starts in a boat arriving to a castle. I didnt pick other characters so much so cant remember their stories.

Anyone? And thanks!!

neogeo44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi Guys, I'm looking for an old 3d racing game from what I believe was the shockwave period of online gaming. It was sort of open world with a map where you had to drive from point to point in under a certain time. You'd get money that you could use to upgrade your shocks and engine and other car bits. And get new tires as well. You would sometimes have to swap out tires mid-course to adjust for terrain. I remember that the best shocks were the firmest ones. And you could buy steel tires that were the only useful to go on magma. The graphics were pretty bad. Early online 3-d rendering. Part of my brain wants to associate it with the old LEGO games, but I think I'm combining wrong memories. I'm pretty sure you drove a monstertruck, or a really big truck. Not sure which. I've tried googling all sorts of terms. But my google-fu is just too weak. Does that ring any bells?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Okay, I've got a game I'm trying to remember and it's driving me bonkers.

It was a game on the PS1 and I'm pretty sure you played as some sort of leapord man or something. (No, not Cheetahmen lol) I know there was a demo for it on a PlayStation magazine demo disc. I think it was a 3D action game that was (at least as a kid) pretty violent and (I think) gory.

That's pretty much all I can remember about it. If anyone can help me remember this probably terrible game I would be so grateful!

Prengel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1263  Edited By Prengel
No Caption Provided

Hey Guys,
so i am looking for a game for years. By accident i found a picture, which reminds me of the game.
It is like Ray Storm. But it was a PC game and the camera was positioned more behind your ships. Like i Star Fox. You could play in 2 Player mode, the first level was above a future city and after each level you were able to upgrade your ships. Must have been around 1999-2001 i have played this game.
I hope this game is real, because sometimes i think i just dreamed about this game. :D

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh good I'm glad I found this thread. So there was this game that I think was played on some kind of show or live stream. I don't think it was UPF but I'm not sure anymore. It is an open unfinished or freeware (least that's what I remember someone saying) cyberpunk game where you'd hack consoles to help you complete objectives (like every cyberpunk game, I know. I'm sorry). The menus were starkly blue, like an old Final Fantasy game and the graphics were pretty simple. I don't know if it was an old game or just part of the "retro" trend. I also remember it being very self aware or at least having a sense of humor. It very vaguely reminded me of Syndicate (the 1993 one). I'm pretty sure Vinny was playing and Jeff and Brad were talking too. Much appreciated!

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff: YES! That's been killing me. Thanks a ton :)

Sky_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello everyone, I just had a flash game that I can't remember the name of. Did a google search with all the details below, and no dice. Even tried Yahoo answers...

So the game was an older game, something like 2000-2007 time period. I played it about a year ago, and it is probably my favorite game ever. It is like a tower defense, just more epic. You could place towers anywhere, and you had to fight off this goo/slime stuff that would grow towards your base. It was blue if I can remember correctly. Some of the towers were nodes, and weapons (bomb/lazer/etc.) and generators(may not be called that, but they were like generators). The base would power the generators, and once they had enough power they would send ammo to the guns. The nodes would transport energy to the point where the goo came from. Once you captured them, you won. The level select was an array of planets, and the tutorial was showing a city being destroyed, and you had to try and fight it off.

This is all I remember, and I can't believe that google didn't uncover this gem for me. Hopefully you guys can find it for me, but I don't know whether or not you guys do flash games. Anyway, thanks.

Sky_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sky_kid: I found it guys, it's called creeper world.

Scarecrow_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello guys new sub here. This one is been killing me. The game was around late 90s early 00s it was a pc game 1st person 3d game kind of like myst series and I remember a stage where you're walking around the Aztec temples or something but I might be wrong. There was a puzzle you had to solve where you had to place gem stones on a sun dial looking rock or something and when you get it right you can advance. In general it had some pretty difficult puzzles-riddles to solve i remember. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Mattutyson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1270  Edited By Mattutyson

Hi everybody,

I'm glad I found this thread and I hope you guys will be able to remove my frustration.

I can't remember the name of a 2d game (windows 95/98). In my memories, you could move an orc/troll with the arrow keys and jump (like super mario).
There were TNT bricks you could hit (like these bricks block in super mario but in red, with "TNT" written in it) and your goal was to avoid the cats/dogs ennemies who were walking to you. There was more and more enemies as the time.

If you hit TNT, all the enemies were stunned for a few seconds (that's a good thing)
If you hit an enemy, you died.
The game took place under the ground. And you could collect some diamands.

That's all I can remember
Sorry for my english and thanks in advance for your help.

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1271  Edited By Alucitary

I'm looking for a point and click game for PC released sometime in the 90s. This game includes a shooter sequence in which you shoot incoming attackers, a mechanical suit that made you indestructable, and a puzzle involving objects on a tree that was apparently quite difficult. Also it's definitely not Bioforge. Aside from that I don't have a clue. Any help would be a appreciated.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Hello guys new sub here. This one is been killing me. The game was around late 90s early 00s it was a pc game 1st person 3d game kind of like myst series and I remember a stage where you're walking around the Aztec temples or something but I might be wrong. There was a puzzle you had to solve where you had to place gem stones on a sun dial looking rock or something and when you get it right you can advance. In general it had some pretty difficult puzzles-riddles to solve i remember. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Reah? Kind of a stab in the dark, but that's what came to mind.

Scarecrow_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1274  Edited By Slaps2

@ice25: Zombies Ate My Neighbors?

Avatar image for cabrit_sans_cor
cabrit_sans_cor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im looking for a late 80's/early 90's DOS game where you played as a miner. You had to dig around and find green gems/emeralds. it was 2d. And i also remember that when you died you got a game over screen that said R.I.P. Might have been on a tombstone, but im not sure about that.

Scarecrow_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1277  Edited By Scarecrow_7
AngerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#1278  Edited By AngerPanda

@turtlebird95 said:

Okay, I've got a game I'm trying to remember and it's driving me bonkers.

It was a game on the PS1 and I'm pretty sure you played as some sort of leapord man or something. (No, not Cheetahmen lol) I know there was a demo for it on a PlayStation magazine demo disc. I think it was a 3D action game that was (at least as a kid) pretty violent and (I think) gory.

That's pretty much all I can remember about it. If anyone can help me remember this probably terrible game I would be so grateful!

T'ai Fu: Wrath of the Tiger?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1280  Edited By PimblyCharles

Hi duders, I'm really hoping you can help me find a PS1 game. I rented it from a Blockbuster in the US a long time ago, and fondly remember the story, but for the life of me can't remember the game's name. I've tried to find it multiple times with no luck.

It was in first person of which you were a human in a walking mech. Most of the game was set in futuristic hallways. There were platforms on the walls for humans to walk on, because the mech you were walking in is supposed to be huge. It had a story, and a pretty decent one at that. There was a really sad moment when a character dies more than half way through. I vaguely remember character portraits during dialogue being somewhat anime. I hardly remember the combat at all. There was a final boss fight though.

Wish I could be much more descriptive than that, but unfortunately those are the only fragments I remember. Thanks!

Also thought I should mention Kileak: The DNA Imperative is NOT the game I'm thinking of though shares some similarities with the above description.

i8Donuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi duders, I'm really hoping you can help me find a PS1 game. I rented it from a Blockbuster in the US a long time ago, and fondly remember the story, but for the life of me can't remember the game's name. I've tried to find it multiple times with no luck.

It was in first person of which you were a human in a walking mech. Most of the game was set in futuristic hallways. There were platforms on the walls for humans to walk on, because the mech you were walking in is supposed to be huge. It had a story, and a pretty decent one at that. There was a really sad moment when a character dies more than half way through. I vaguely remember character portraits during dialogue being somewhat anime. I hardly remember the combat at all. There was a final boss fight though.

Wish I could be much more descriptive than that, but unfortunately those are the only fragments I remember. Thanks!

Also thought I should mention Kileak: The DNA Imperative is NOT the game I'm thinking of though shares some similarities with the above description.

Is it Brahma Force: The Assault on Beltlogger 9?

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1282  Edited By PimblyCharles
@i8donuts said:

@pimblycharles said:

Is it Brahma Force: The Assault on Beltlogger 9?

I thought it might have been until I looked at videos up closely. It's definitely not the game I'm thinking of. Also, I don't remember there being any jumping mechanics. Thanks though!

drblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1283  Edited By drblade

Hi all,

I am looking for a C64 game:

2D Side-scroller

Platform

Single player and co-op as well

Characters: A duck (chicken?) and a wolf

Story: Just go through different levels, jumping on platforms, eliminate enemies with power-ups, these were available after pickup for a very short time (one of them was a black-blue bowlingball)

Probably released between 1987-1994.

What do you think, guys?

Thank you in advance, have a nice day!

drblade

Avatar image for danielheusburgh
DanielHeusburgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3D Graphics

(Note: I just wanot to put it out there that the graphics are kind of similar to Hitman: Contracts or something, but it was not that game)

First Person Shooter? Action? (I don't quite recall if it was first person or you can go into 3rd person or not)

it was a PC game, that's all I know (Could've been on consoles too)

it was some kind of gangster game is if I recall correctly maybe not. I believe it was released between the year 2000-2004. all I remember is that you started out in some back hoods or something (they were vans, white vans and containers and stuff), the graphics were really dark,and you could smash peoples skulls in with a baseball bat and They would become bloody pulp. that's all I ccan really account for right now. I'm sure this is simple but it really bugs me that I can't remember the name of it :/

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for danielheusburgh
DanielHeusburgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce: Holy molt yes o.o

when I look back on it, I cannot believe I played such a violent game.

Just watched a video. Sick.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danielheusburgh: Yeah, good ole' Manhunt got a ton of attention for how violent it was, I think it was even used in a few video games are destroying society and our children! Court cases back in the day.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Been holding this one in for a while.

It was a demo that I had on my PC about 10 years ago.

Point and click

You're a (Bald?) investigative character. (maybe detective, maybe hitman type guy)

Futuristic - to start you show up outside of apartments in hovercraft, and you have to break into this guys house using his fingerprint/signature that you gather outside of his door.

That's ALL I got for you guys.

Good. Luck.

Eddie-Nash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a game I played a long time ago. It was an horizontal shooter where you controlled a ship and you could buy weapons to install in your ship. You could only have 2 installed at a time and you could choose which of them to put on top of the ship and which to put underneath it. You could buy a new turbine and switch your old one for the new one. You collected money in the stages. I played it in a PC, but it could have been an emulator. I'm not sure. I can't remember the name of that game for the life of me. Does anyone know?

BrunoS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello everyone, I'll be eternally grateful to whoever can recover this one! (I assume it to be hard to find, searched quite a bit for a while and nothing so far.)

I used to play this PC game on a "1000 games" CD I had as a kid (from PCGamer I think?), so it's old (but not too much, '90s? 16 bits era looking I believe) and 2-D and small. Here's all I can remember of it: You'd play as wizards in a platformer, your point was to save some children and there was co-op option (different colored little wizards? unsure if 2 players or up to 4). The mood of the game was pretty somber and gory, you could die from spikes and such (I think there were giant boulders or something like that too), and instead of focusing on action it was pretty puzzle based (there were enemies, tho), you'd have to press levers to activate mechanisms and find colored keys to open same colored doors and etc., so you could find your way through the maze and reach the end of the level.

I guess that's all I can remember, here's hoping it's not too obscure a game, hehe. Thanks!

Eddie-Nash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1291  Edited By Eddie-Nash

There's a game I played a long time ago. It was an horizontal shooter where you controlled a ship and you could buy weapons to install in your ship. You could only have 2 installed at a time and you could choose which of them to put on top of the ship and which to put underneath it. You could buy a new turbine and switch your old one for the new one. You collected money in the stages. I played it in a PC, but it could have been an emulator. I'm not sure. I can't remember the name of that game for the life of me. Does anyone know?

I just discovered the name of the game. It's Stargunner. I was surfing the net and I accidentally found a review on it. Take a look:

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/stargunner-review-june-1997-us-edition/

No Caption Provided

iLIVetolearn17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My brother and I are stuck trying to name this game! It is a computer game from our childhood, early 2000s or possibly late 90's. It is an educational game about math where you go through all these levels with a cat and I think her mouse friend as the cat tries to find the mathematician but at the end of the game she finds out the mathematician has been her, or well the player, all along. Yes, it sounds kind of lame but it had its funny moments which is why we are trying to find the name. I think it might be a game from either The Learning Company or JumpStart. That's all I can remember except for some of the levels involving fraction work with cats eating pizza, one level where cows were in hot air balloons, working with an elephant merchant to weigh out stuff for trading. Again, yes it was really weird but really fun. This has been bugging us for a little while now so any help would be awesome!

animegirl1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 2 games I am looking for and I cannot think of them to save my life. Please help me!

1) I am looking for one that is a math based platform game that you jump and get to certain points to do math to help you advance to the next level. It may have come out in the early 2000s or sooner. It's an educational PC game that is aimed at kids in middle school. Maybe the genre was action/adventure, but I am not very sure of this.

2) One was a farming game I played in my agriculture classes where you plant things but any natural disaster could easily come through within minutes and destroy your crop It may have also come out in the early 2000s or sooner. It is also an educational PC game that is aimed toward agriculture interests in young kids. It is kind of like Farmville in a way but it is not Farmville. The genre is farming of couse.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freeware multiplayer game, mid-2000s(?). Penguins in ball form rolling down a hill and bumping into one another, then gliding through obstacles toward a dartboard-like goal, sometimes going back into ball form beforehand. Third-person.

Halp.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

animegirl1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadpancakes: No it isn't. I just looked up a video about it but it's not the one

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@animegirl1993: The only other one I can think of is one of the Math Blaster games?

Unfortunately the educational games that come to mind for me are typically aimed towards people younger than middle school.

animegirl1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1298  Edited By animegirl1993

@deadpancakes: Okay how about:

I am looking for one that is a math based platform game that you jump and get to certain points to do math to help you advance to the next level. It may have come out in the early 2000s or sooner. It's an educational PC game that is aimed at kids in elementary school. Maybe the genre was action/adventure, but I am not very sure of this

blackopsben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1299  Edited By blackopsben

I used to have a SNES game that was very hard and I never got past the second level. The first level was a side scrolling level a lot like a mega man game where there were dangerous obstacles to avoid. The character you control was mostly blue. I don't remember if you shoot anything at all or just run and jump. The second level was a top-view of a maze with many obstacles. Same character but this level played very different. I never got past this level. I vaguely recall large colored balls being some sort of obstacle that killed you in this maze.

What's weird is as a kid I don't even remember reading the title of the game but for some reason my whole life I've remembered that game as "Last Action Hero". I've never seen that movie, but when I looked up "Last Action Hero SNES" I was surprised to see that wasn't even CLOSE to the game I remember playing.

HELP! Please and thank you!

EDIT: I FOUND IT! It's called Lost Dimension! I did a google image search for "every SNES game cover" and recognized it on the first page of results!

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2) One was a farming game I played in my agriculture classes where you plant things but any natural disaster could easily come through within minutes and destroy your crop It may have also come out in the early 2000s or sooner. It is also an educational PC game that is aimed toward agriculture interests in young kids. It is kind of like Farmville in a way but it is not Farmville. The genre is farming of couse.

Maybe simfarm? I remember it having natural disasters although it's from 1993