The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread v3.0

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#1851  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

So, this is a game I know very little about, I just saw it in the corner in a used games store back in 1998-99, but never bought it, but I was really fascinated by the cover art (which as I recall, neither had the game's title on it, nor any screenshots on the back). It was a PC game, probably from the late 80's, as it was still on 5.25" floppies. I think the back of the box stated it was a strategy game, but that's about all I know of it.

The thing that grabbed my attention was that the cover art was black with wood carving style image (in silver/grey) of what I think was a world war 1 battle, there were tanks in the foreground and barbed wire and stuff. I wouldn't rule a world war 2 setting out, as I don't remember the cover art in detail. It was somewhat reminiscent of this:

No Caption Provided

So, I'm basically hoping the unique cover art alone will help me identify this game.

Solar1x-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1852  Edited By Solar1x-

I've been looking for this game for ages.. hopefully you guys could help me.
Platform: PC
Years: Not too sure.. by the graphics probably early 2000's
It was something like top down adventure - action game.
If I remember correctly, at the beginning of the game there are two characters, male and female.. (I think you could choose to play either the girl or the guy, but the guy is 100% certain.) and you start off outside the city.
The second character runs off towards the city at the beginning and then disappears.
It reminds me of the blade runner theme alot.. was actually sure for some time it was that game but when I got it it was nothing like it beside the style..
It had hover cars but not blade runner style hover cars, you could drive them and they were very much alike the ones in Satelite reign.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csa0B1inljo
(For indication of the design of the cars, watch from 3:20 to 3:50.)
The camera would not follow the player, instead you moved across sections.
Hope that'll be enough for you guys to see what game it was.

Holy shit.. o.O I found it.
It's The Creed by Insomnia entertainment.
Now all that's left is how the hell do I make it run on windows 8.1... any help would be appreciated..
Got it to run but it crashes whenever the actual game starts (the dialog between Wolfe and Matrix..)
Tried comptability mode and different settings but nothing works.
It's a longshot.. but.. anyone willing to download the game and make a save after the initial dialog? like when headed to town?

Really frustrated here.

Avatar image for thelovelyhylian
TheLovelyHylian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so I am looking for an old PC "game" *?*

It was a black background, text based "game".. It was more like a diary though... It would talk to you and you would talk to it as well, it was almost an attempt at a virtual friend.. I can't remember the name of it.. Think there was a face and that's about it.. Almost like a DOS game or something.. Very simple.. Cannot find any info on it anywhere..Any ideas?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1854  Edited By Corevi
Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Struggling with this one. Here's what I remember:

1) I played a demo of this on the Amiga around the early 90's

2) It was an arcade-y, third person, run-and-gun game - I remember the camera being behind you and you'd run along shooting at enemies and could run left or right to dodge incoming fire e.t.c

3) You played as a robot that walked. It was a demo but it appeared as if on the other levels you could transform into a plane and fly over water levels (maybe other vehicles in other levels?)

Any ideas?

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@el_tajij: The best guess I can make is either something like Xybots or Narco Police. Is that the kind of perspective you meant? Only game like that with a robot that I can think of is Robozone.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So I've been on a BIIIIG baseball kick, specifically trying to find a good middle ground with management while still being able to see the action and, well, manage accordingly. And in my search and ended up feeling a large nostalgia for a PC game I remember playing back in 2003-2004ish that I just can't remember the name of or find any trace of anywhere on Google.

The key components I remember was that it was not actively played, every game was simulated, but you could watch the game in real time (and played in real time). The players animated, all was in an isometric 2D plane. The art style was similar to that recently released Super Mega baseball, though toned down; all players had comically large broad shoulders and tiny legs. It had a few modern free-to-play elements in that the players could only train so much in a day, displayed with a pie chart of their remaining stamina for the day when clicked on during training. When a player had trained enough to gain some skill points, little blue stars would rain above their heads.

Anyone?

lowcaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I think this was a game on the Playstation. It could've been some other consoles too, maybe even PC, I'm not sure though.

Anyway, the Earth was destroyed during some atomic experiment, and a bunch of soldiers and mercenaries come to grab Earth's resources. It was a first person shooter.

That's all I can remember and it's been bugging me for a while.

annika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am 20 years old now. When I was little, there was this game where you could go through desert (there were hills, water - you could actually go under water too)...And you collected ammo and lives(which were floating in the air or under water). If I remember correctly, then you were kinda like a robot and you destroyed other robots. If you were attacked, the whole screen went red. Have been looking for this game for years(now-and-then) and haven't found it. I played it on my PC. Maybe anyone of you knows?

Thanks for help! ( I hope I posted to the right place this time:D - page didn't let me delete the old post in the other place either....sth went wrong-it says..)

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lowcaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@driadon: It's been bugging me as well. Gone sifting through as many baseball management games as I could but found nothing.

They're either abstract simulations or the graphics are more realistic. Out of interest, do you have any memory of how you got the game? If it was, say, an old flash/shockwave game, downloaded shareware or a budget title, I imagine it'd be significantly harder to track down compared to the kind of games that got wide releases.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@subwayd said:

@el_tajij: The best guess I can make is either something like Xybots or Narco Police. Is that the kind of perspective you meant? Only game like that with a robot that I can think of is Robozone.

Thanks for the effort dude but none of those games are the one :(

invader_tzim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1865  Edited By invader_tzim

So I remember playing a game when I was really young, my guess is it's a late 80s or 90s pc game that may have come as a demo on the computer. I remember being able to basically create music videos. Now, this was for younger kids I believe, and I remember silly characters you could choose to be your band members. Then once you chose the band you could make simple music videos. I played it sooo so much but it was too long ago for me to remember the name :(

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1866  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@invader_tzim said:

So I remember playing a game when I was really young, my guess is it's a late 80s or 90s pc game that may have come as a demo on the computer. I remember being able to basically create music videos. Now, this was for younger kids I believe, and I remember silly characters you could choose to be your band members. Then once you chose the band you could make simple music videos. I played it sooo so much but it was too long ago for me to remember the name :(

One game from that era that comes to mind is Rockstar Ate My Hamster. You picked your band from a weird set of characters at the start. It was more of a GameDev Story kind of thing where you only selected who to direct your music video and how much to spend on it, rather than directly controlling the video production though.

Found this thread where they name drop similar games from that era too: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37403

tl;dr: similar games mentioned are: Rockstar - Never Trust Rotten Tangerines, Rock Manager, Megastar and To Be On Top.

Deeman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, this is driving me crazy but I am trying to find out this one game I've played a lot as a kid. This was probably around 2000. I believe it was a PS2 game and it wasn't very popular. It was a 3rd person hack and slash type of game with a ton of fantasy in the mix. It was rated either teen or mature. I think you started off in a prison and you'd have to climb your way out, I eventually got to a sewer type area (I think) and you could release monsters that were captive and they'd fight for you, I then got to a desert area of the game. Your character had long blond hair, he wield a long sword all the time. I had to be like 5 or 6 playing this game and its hard for me to really think of it. Thank you and let me know what you think it is.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I rented this game as a kid for the N64, and all I can remember is being able to talk to NPC's in a town and being able to climb a high tower-like thing from which you get a nice view. Might have had a day/night cycle. Probably developed in Japan. I know it's not Zelda OoT, MM or the 3D Goemon game, but somewhat similar to those in presentation. Being kinda vague, but there can't be that many games like this on the N64.

ktmsm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking for game:

ISOMETRIC LANDSCAPE with a JUMPING BALL.

Looks like old "Marble Madness" and "Q*bert" mashed together.

Ball is *always* jumping in place, up and down, and you use cursors to move it around.

Landscape "bricks" are all different sizes and placements and as your ball can only jump to certain height, you have to "navigate" through the landscape, always trying to go higher. There are different obstacles on your way. I kinda remember "skeletons" and some kind of "lawn machines" lol.

Possible Platform: ZX Spectrum/Atari/Amiga/C64

Any ideas?

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1871  Edited By SubwayD

@ktmsm: Bounder?

No, not the correct perspective. Dang, how many perpetually bouncing ball games are there? :O

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@subwayd said:

@ktmsm: Bounder?

No, not the correct perspective. Dang, how many perpetually bouncing ball games are there? :O

At least three. There's also Dschump. :P

ChanKarik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1873  Edited By ChanKarik

@deeman777:

Could it be Magic Sword?

No Caption Provided

Also, my first post here and I'd like to give a try, too.

The games I need to know are:

- This old PC, kids windows 95 game (maybe from 1996), in which you had to help a clown to save his animal friends, I think - it was mostly point-and-click and the stages were minigames of different variety. I can remember one in which you had to cross a river in a boat, avoiding lightning and logs. I believe the game was American, as in that very stage, somebody would yell to the clown: Beware! or Be careful!

- A (japanese, maybe) game for the PSOne or N64, which had a similar idea to Smash Bros. There would be 4 characters (that you could choose before the battle) that were made of few polygons, but had distinctive features and one of them looked like the "Buzz!" quiz game main character. (http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/buzz.qw.01.lg.jpg)

The four characters would then be pitched against each other in a square arena, with platforms, ladders and many items that they could grab and throw at others, like big red missiles and rocks, which made them explode away and off the arena, giving a point to the attacker.

Someone suggested Blood Lines in another forum, but the game I'm looking for is very cartoony.

- Finally, an atari 2600 game that was like Pac Man, but you had to eat the dots between horizontal lines (I think). The character was like a lil yellow mouth (teeth and all), and when you finished the stage, a toothbrush would come and brush it. xD

luisdecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1874  Edited By luisdecker

[Already found it, the name was Blast Doors ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVHxB8xnyuY )

Hi guys, may you can help me out to find a old game I played circa 2000...

The game came in a "20 games in 1" CD

It was a tank game, in third person, where all of your moves was itens. The map was round, cliffy, and there was just you and the oponent (CPU) in the map (the oponent was a tank too).

I remember that after the battle wou must plan your arsenal, and the background of this planning site was a hangar. In the battle interface, there was a "fighting jet button" to use the weapon in the right.

It was turn based. To move there was a jetpack, that you aimed like a gun and you fly to the target.

Sorry for my bad english. Can you help me?

BanoffeePiie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1875  Edited By BanoffeePiie

Hi all, such an awesome thread! I have been banging my head against the wall with this one...

From my memories it would of been from around 1995 at it earliest to 2000 at latest. It was a FPS 3D Shooter similar to Doom, Duke Nukem etc... The game involved shooting people in suits, raincoats and hats from my memory. Also I feel like it involved collecting rings or something! Very vague I know.

Haha found it "Rise of the Triad" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqAQLHkRs18 thanks though!

ScarletKnives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello, I need help remembering a game. I remember I played it when I started using computers, that would be about the 2000s, in fact, I remember playing it around 2002-2003. Its a FPS, but I'm not 100% sure

It was based on a futuristic world or in a post-apocalyptic world, the protagonist was a man with an artificial eye, or an artificial lens in one eye, I think the lens emitted a laser and scanned things, or was a kind of futuristic visor. I remember much yellow in this game. You start in a futuristic or ravaged city with tall buildings. Reminded me to games like Quake

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1877  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Hello, I need help remembering a game. I remember I played it when I started using computers, that would be about the 2000s, in fact, I remember playing it around 2002-2003. Its a FPS, but I'm not 100% sure

It was based on a futuristic world or in a post-apocalyptic world, the protagonist was a man with an artificial eye, or an artificial lens in one eye, I think the lens emitted a laser and scanned things, or was a kind of futuristic visor. I remember much yellow in this game. You start in a futuristic or ravaged city with tall buildings. Reminded me to games like Quake

Sounds a little like Project Snowblind?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

ScarletKnives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1878  Edited By ScarletKnives

@fisk0: nope, the game was older (in fact, the game you listed is from 2005... far too recent)

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@subwayd said:

@driadon: It's been bugging me as well. Gone sifting through as many baseball management games as I could but found nothing.

They're either abstract simulations or the graphics are more realistic. Out of interest, do you have any memory of how you got the game? If it was, say, an old flash/shockwave game, downloaded shareware or a budget title, I imagine it'd be significantly harder to track down compared to the kind of games that got wide releases.

It was a Free-To-Play downloadable executable, PC only if I remember right. Oh! it had a browser based community site where you could go find games in progress, ect, and if you went to watch that game it'd launch the game on your PC and connect you to the game live.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScarletKnives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subwayd: nope, is not space themed. I remember it more like Sci-fi, Post-apocalyptic or Cyberpunk

Vehicles came to my mind... you cant drive them... I think... also, is a more popular game, I remember reading a article in a videogame magazine

I'm sure the game must be from 1999-2002

Also, the most noticeable thing of the protagonist is the lens of his eye, his right eye I think, being more precise

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1882  Edited By SubwayD
ScarletKnives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subwayd: well, this looks like more the thing I'm searching, but still nof

I watched a gameplay but... the first level is completely different so is impossible

The first leve occurs in a city, I dont know if futuristic or ravaged, and in the night. I remember some debris and bright lights, as well as tall buildings... if my memory is correct, in the cover there's one of these buildings and the main character... like this game

:

However, is not this game, because this game came out in 1994, and the one I'm searching is, at least, from 1999 to 2003

fadetofunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1884  Edited By fadetofunk

This was a Windows 3.1 or 95 game. You were a ship inside of your own computer and the enemies / NPCs were files and icons from your hard drive. The entire game was based around shooting "bad" files. Danny O'Dwyer recently mentioned it on the bombcast from 2/3/2015 which jogged my memory of the game. I think I played it on a demo CD or something. Anyone remember that?

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarletknives: Man, it's probably something I should know, but I've had another look about and I'm drawing a blank. Will have to bow out of the search for now unless I get struck by a brainwave. Sorry. Still, best of luck in finding the game. Now I'm also intrigued as to what it might be. :)

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetofunk: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation:_Inner_Space

Loved this game.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetofunk: @mtcantor:

I seem to remember a rumour that if you shot any of your own files, they'd get deleted off the HDD!

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetofunk: Hrm, well in Inner Space no files were deleted from your computer of course. There was some stupid art game that did that, but far more people talked about it than ever played it. Not sure what the game you are thinking of is though, but the second I heard Danny talk about the game he remembered on the Bombcast I thought of Inner Space. It was actually pretty ahead of its time.

fadetofunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mtcantor said:

Loved this game.

I think this is actually the game! The youtube videos are what convinced me. Hard to pull from 20 year old memories, but this seems to be it! Thanks!

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mtcantor said:

Loved this game.

I think this is actually the game! The youtube videos are what convinced me. Hard to pull from 20 year old memories, but this seems to be it! Thanks!

You can still actually buy the thing for $25! No idea how it runs on modern systems, but man I really loved it. You could design and upgrade your own ships, and it had this whole simulated MMO feel to it.

http://www.sdispace.com/

Tubaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1893  Edited By Tubaker

Danny talked about this game on the last bombcast that I remembered playing, but like him I had no idea what it was called

It was similar to astroids. You had a ship, you controlled it with a keyboard. I believe you could upgrade or even purchase new ships, but the cool part was that you were shooting icons and images and other stuff that was on your PC. I'm not sure how/why/when it got that data, but it did. I remember playing this and being really bummed out that I couldn't find the full version of it anywhere. It was a pretty cool game.

I also remember that I played it on this garbage 100+ game demo disk thing. Games like Carmageddon were also on this demo disk. I was about 7-10 years old when I played it, sometime in the mid-late 90's, and it's possible I'm mixing up some of the information with another one of the games on the disk. Maybe someone else had this thing? I think it was a blue disk if I remember correctly.

EDIT: I see you guys already found it. Inner Space. MAN that thing was cool.

Deeman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subwayd said:

@deeman777: Wild guess: Warriors of Might & Magic?

Then again, I'm just basing that off the fact it's a game with an imprisoned blond guy bashing monsters in a sewer.

@subwayd: This is exactly the game I was looking for. The second I saw the case cover, I knew that it was it. Man it brings back memories. Thank you so much for helping me out. And thanks for everyone who tried to help as well. Now I am gonna go relive some memories.

fujiwara_ae86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a description from my cousin. He played it 4 years ago. It's action, on the PC. Compares with Assassin's Creed, has different maps and cultures. It features a guy and his dog. He has a sword, then later gets a gun. He has to do a quest and over time he collects different cloths from different places. He recruits new members and then becomes king.

Any ideas?

KevinThePlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1897  Edited By KevinThePlayer

Hello everybody

Looking for a game, but can't remember(as in the thread)

So far what i know:

The Main character is a yellow ''Fish''

The Game is like a 3d scrolling game, where you need pass emenies or creatues to get to a point

There kind of different areas in the Water, like Worlds, such as, blue ocean, Beach, dark scary ocean with skelton fish, you need to pass,

Not sure, but i also think there was an octupus boss with 3 hearts

in the dark scary ocean, sometimes there was lvl, where you need to swim away from a shark,

you could also only swim vertical and horizontal,

last time i'd played it was 5-6 years ago i think so on PC

ScarletKnives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fujiwara_ae86: May be Fable 2? http://www.giantbomb.com/fable-ii/3030-20514/

fujiwara_ae86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarletknives: Excellent, it was indeed a Fable game! I believe it was Fable 3, since he played it on PC. Thank you for your help!

FrigidDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1900  Edited By FrigidDev

Ok, so I'm trying to find a game, that I watched someone else play, like 5 years ago. Basically, it reminds me of Mount & Blade...like, extremely close. The only problem, is that it was set in Egypt(or some sandy place). You could build ships, etc, and command troops. However, you could then zoom in, and control your "hero" in a fps way. I remember the use of bow & arrow as being very important.

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: It was on PC btw