The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread v3.0

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@vx10000222: Very welcome. That game is a favorite of mine.

HebrewHand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Was speaking with a friend earlier today about old educational games that we used to play on the computer and my mind wandered to a pretty obscure one that I couldn't seem to remember the name of.

The way I remember it, I played it back in about 2002, maybe a little later on a school computer many times. The only things I really remember about it was (after getting rid of the blue 3D pipe screensaver) there being pretty loud monkeys with bananas and having to do basic math equations (I think the grade level could be changed, but the memory's pretty fuzzy on specifics). If I remember rightly the monkeys were flying(?) and would get pissed if equations weren't right. If anyone remembers any game like that or even a game with crazy monkeys with bananas from about '98-'00, that would be super helpful to really show my friend what good educational/kids games were/are.

Avatar image for collin_bateman_8279
collin_bateman_8279

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

okay guys this has been killing me, i used to play this pc game as a kid and when you first start it up it starts with like rock like music and a dune buggy going thru mud and what not and in the game you can build a track and add obstacles or just play the levels i think, its been a really long time, but your this dune buggy thing and you avoid obstacles and its cartoon like and i remember on one part where this alien picks your whole dune buggy up and takes you to his alien world and then after while he takes you back to the off-road scene. i remember there being like dinosaurs or something of that nature and levels where its jungle like and has monkeys screeching in the back. and then there is some desert type levels and there is some obstacles where you avoid a pit and jump over it. and some obstacles where you go thru and it does something to your dune buggy.

this has had my brain racking for what the name of this game was. it would be very appreciated if i could have some help figuring out what game this was.

Avatar image for collin_bateman_8279
collin_bateman_8279

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this has been killing me, i used to play this pc game as a kid and when you first start it up it starts with like rock like music and a dune buggy going thru mud and what not and in the game you can build a track and add obstacles or just play the levels i think, its been a really long time, but your this dune buggy thing and you avoid obstacles and its cartoon like and i remember on one part where this alien picks your whole dune buggy up and takes you to his alien world and then after while he takes you back to the off-road scene. i remember there being like dinosaurs or something of that nature and levels where its jungle like and has monkeys screeching in the back. and then there is some desert type levels and there is some obstacles where you avoid a pit and jump over it. and some obstacles where you go thru and it does something to your dune buggy.

this has had my brain racking for what the name of this game was. it would be very appreciated if i could have some help figuring out what game this was.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, this game is a post apocalyptic online multi-player shooter on PC. Similar to Battlefield but with a Mad Max setting. Brad and Vinny did a quick look of it some years ago. The only reason I ask is I'm looking for that Quick Look. It had a hilarious moment where Vinny tell Brad to watch another player take off in a helicopter to see how it's done. The player lifts off and immediately crashes straight into some rocks! It's the best! Any help in finding this gem of a Quick Look would be great. Cheers duders!

necronomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2906  Edited By necronomicon

Howdy fellow duders, I've had a game for a while that has been scratching at the back of my head but for the life of me and all my attempts at searching I've turned up empty handed. Would love it if someone knew what this was so I could show it to my little brother.

It was a space shooter played from top down perspective, it would have been early mid 90's to late 90's I recall, the only two big things I am able to remember, is that it had a series of races you could do and they were made up of a few laser grids that were that lovely "eyes bleeding" red, you could do the races but as a child I just shot the other racers and a huge engine block would be dropped which you could pick up for upgrades? I think. There was also one of those mini games in it that was on an arcade machine in game I think , you were placed in an arena filled with sand that was spinning in one direction and there was like a worm shooting things? I also recall multiple planets being able to be traveled to, but that is pretty common in a space game so that probably won't help much. Super sorry I can't remember more details, and thanks for anyone who took the time to read this. Much love duders.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: You are a genius! Thank you! Now I can enjoy that beautiful moment forever. Seriously though if anyone has never seen it before check it out.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just had some memories of an arcade game I used to play at a Laundry Mat in the mid to late 80's.

The only thing I can remember was it was a selectable game cabinet. The game I need the name for was a top down brawler/beat em game. I remember walking from the bottom of the sceen to the top with a couple of blonde(?) beefy dudes fighting in a variety of "asian" themed environments. Enemies may or may not have been ninja's but were definitely martial artists. I think the other games in the cabinet may have been Xevious and Commando and or Jackal.

Wish I had more to go on but it's really been bugging me the last few days.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2912  Edited By JeevesPleez

@gneutrality: Treasure MathStorm! I believe. Doesn't exactly match your description but the music matches - that game and its siblings were favorites of mine.

GNeutrality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeevespleez: That's it, thank you! I even remember the snowballs and treasures after...around 20 years it seems :)

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2914  Edited By JeevesPleez

@gneutrality: No problem! And I know what you mean - as soon as I heard your music clip it all came flooding back!

Relive97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2915  Edited By Relive97

This game i saw in a store back in the 90's.

It was in First person view and i remember there being blue floor tiles (carpet?) on the back of the retail box.

Might have been either a FPS or Maze type game, maybe set in the future? I'm afraid that's all i got

boywithviolin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been searching for this game for YEARS. When when I was in elementary school, I was dropped off at the daycare center at the gym my parents went to. I always wanted to play on the computers there.

Even though it's not a Humongous Entertainment game, this game reminded me of Freddi Fish in several ways: it is a point and click adventure game with an inventory at the bottom of the screen and it's animated in a smooth, cartoonish 2D style that looks like that of Freddi Fish or Pajama Sam.

It's from either the late 90's or the early 2000's (2000-2010).

The game takes place on an island. It has a jungle-y feel to it. I remember something about the main character being red, either his hair, a ball cap, or his shirt. As I remember him, he seems to be just a normal human boy, with the possible exception of being extremely intelligent. There may be a small robot character or inventory item, but I can't be sure. If there is, I think the main character has to find pieces to build it first. I remember a hidden cave/passageway with lava either shooting out of the floor pouring down from the ceiling. You have to activate some switch to get the lava to stop. I think there is a part where you are standing on the edge of a steep path and you either have to use rope to get something out of a tree or swing across a gap. I also think I remember a grass hut close to the water and at a crossroad on the island, but the player only sees part of it visible at the bottom of the screen. The main character was alone most of the time, I think. I've heard Monkey Island as a potential answer a lot, but the game isn't Monkey Island.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know if this last bit of information is helpful at all, but I included it just in case:

The computer games on that computer opened from this program that showed every game they had. They were shown in boxes and the player had to select which they wanted based on the picture. Other games on that computer included the Barbie Swan Lake game, Reader Rabbit 1st Grade: Caper on Cloud Nine, and JumpStart Advanced 1st Grade.

Thank you.

OdiN_O2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, it was an old PC game, clearly from the 90s, and it featured an almost F-Zero like spaceship, rocketing through space on platforms that looked like they'd be straight out of Starfox SNES. The first level had you zooming off toward the sun and had some oddly catchy music accompanying it. And I vaguely remember the name being something like skyrider(s) or spacerider(s).

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boywithviolin: I'd take a look at The Learning Company's Super Solvers or Super Seekers series of games. The player character has a red hat in those. TLC also did Reader Rabbit so it ties in there too.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

What was that old platformer (Prince of Persia kind of over-animated style) Jeff played on a UPF (or maybe "old games show"), that was nearly impossible? It was medieval / dungeon themed. The sound effects were ridiculous. Jeff died almost immediately on every screen. Dan was losing his mind laughing...

boywithviolin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeevespleez: I've looked at those before and I don't think that's it. The graphics in the the game weren't pixilated. It's more smoothly animated like in Freddi Fish and Pajama Sam.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What was that old platformer (Prince of Persia kind of over-animated style) Jeff played on a UPF (or maybe "old games show"), that was nearly impossible? It was medieval / dungeon themed. The sound effects were ridiculous. Jeff died almost immediately on every screen. Dan was losing his mind laughing...

I believe you're thinking of Dark Castle and this is the video you're talking about.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@damodar: This has been bugging me for over a week. Thank you!

thaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2923  Edited By thaddy

RESOLVED!

Hello.

Alright, I used to play a game with a humpback green character who keeps moving and jumping to kill mice/turtles the character was Lizard (I am not sure tho). I used to play it before windows XP, but I played it fine on Windows XP, I first played it in windows ME I think. It's 2D sidescrolling PC game. In the end of each level I think a big Dinosaur or a big mouse appears and you have to kill it. This game can be played with 2 players too (2 players on the same keyboard)

And I remember if you wanted to save a game you had to browse you pc and the save the save file in anywhere you want, and you had to browse your PC and open the same file if you want to load the game.

I hope you can find it.

TheArchaeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2924  Edited By TheArchaeon

Please help, as this is killing me.

You play as a robot, im not sure, but i think it was cyan or blue. maybe not. but you played a sokoban style game, with enemy robots and timed lasers to get past. i remember the anxiety of timing thru the lasers correctly. I remember also i think there was like a little text segment at the beginning of a play thru, but im not sure on really anything. I know this is stupid, but im super anxious about it and im crying over it(I Know, LAME) but it would help me. It's PC im sure. I played it before 2009, because i know it was before or during when i payed more attention to fun than details (hence why im asking) its one of those games either for windows XP or vista originally (cause im sure 7 came out in 2007) plus im not sure if it was a pc only, but i know it was on pc. please, any help will get you eternal gratitude, and me to play a game ive long since forgotten. Sorry for the long post, please help! Another thing, it's i think a top down 3d or 2d game, or topdown isometric 3d or 2d game IDK sorry im so little help

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2925  Edited By JeevesPleez

@thaddy: Maybe Bonkheads?http://www.giantbomb.com/bonkheads/3030-25833/

Apukong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2926  Edited By Apukong

RESOLVED

Hello,

I have used this thread to try and find a game a played between 1987 and 1990. It was an arcade game were you control a trio of adventurers, at first I thought that I found when someone asked about Dark Adventures but the graphics I have in my memory are cartoon like. The characters were 2 guys and a girl, color coded as blue, green and red. I remember bridges on fire and that I used to jump from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game and this one while my bigger brothers made the line for Street Fighter II. It could be Dark Adventures but the graphics are what is not convincing me.

Thanks in advance.

--edit--

Found the lava level in Dark Adventure, that is the game I was looking for. Dissapointed. :(

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2927  Edited By Onemanarmyy
Apukong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: thanks for the reply. But none of those is what I remember, those are classics. Perhaps is a very obscure game that no many people played. I called one of my brothers and he tells me he remembers a volcanic stage as one of fhe first few, and that the graphics are cartoonie. What i recall is like a chiby style top down view. The graphics were similar to chiby style in the vein of snes Jurasic Park or Soldiers of Fortune.

NotSoSneakyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking for a DOS game from around the early 90s. A vertical-scrolling space shmup in one point perspective (almost top-down), with flat-shaded 3d graphics. The boss of the first level was a spinning green octahedron or something similar. Although that maybe wrong since it was a shareware version of the game.

thaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2930  Edited By thaddy

@thaddy: Maybe Bonkheads?http://www.giantbomb.com/bonkheads/3030-25833/

Yes that's it. Thank you!

Themikex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2931  Edited By Themikex

Hello Gamers,

Hoping you can help me with this one. I can only remember one stage from this Arcade game.

It was from the late 80's it was a light gun arcade game that my brother played in a movie theatre on Steinway.

The stage I remember is there's a women who changes into a werewolf / monster and you have to wait till when she transforms, (I believe she jumps at you after she transforms) if you shoot her too early you lose a life and have to restart that stage.

My brother remembers the main character was a cowboy, (or an old west type environment) it was a pixelated game.

LtGrimdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, besides Diablo, wasn't there an action or FPS game from the late 90's or early 2000's where after beating the game (on hard difficulty or whatever) you unlocked a bonus stage where all the enemies were cows. Google search only turned up Diablo, but I recall it being an FPS.

misq23123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2934  Edited By misq23123

Alright,

The things that I remember:

- I think the name started with N

- It was kind of RTS, the viewpoint was from above and you could control certain characters and stuff.

- I remember that one character in a storymission was from Spain, I don't know what excactly he was doing, but you could move via shop in this mission.

- I can't name the excact date the game is set in, but it was the old days with those old cannons and stuff.

- It was probably released between 1990 - 2006 (it could've been another year too.)

- It was rather colourful (but realistic) as far as I remember.

- I don't think it was ever on a console, but it was during the PS1 - PS2 times.

- It definetly wasn't intended for kids.

Can't remember anything else, hopefully someone else can help me out.

LtGrimdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightcre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2936  Edited By nightcre

Hello

I can't find a real time strategy game that i played somewhere between 1998-2000 on a Windows 98 PC. I guess the game was released between 1995-2000. The things i remember about this great fun game is that there are levels/missions with different locations/maps. I am sure i remember i played on a map that had the Eiffel tower of Paris. In the game play you control people and play against enemy, i remember on the map there were also animals, for example if you take a rabbit and put it in your house, more people are created, if you take a cow, you should put it close to the enemy and they will gather around her and wonder, and then the cow will explode... Really fun game, i have searched lot of databases, but i couldn't find this game. Please help me find it.

misq23123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltgrimdark: That's sadly not it. It looks kinda similiar, but I think the game I'm looking for is in an earlier era. (It probably doesn't even start with N, but I hope so.)

Also it's not only about that spanish dude, there are more nationalities I think.

ikoysss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am trying to recall the title of this PC adventure game in the late 1990s. You play a character of a child whos is orphaned and you are constantly trying to escape from a tyrant. The setting is industrial and i seem to remember having a broom as a weapon. If anyone remembers it do let me know!

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

ikoysss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightcre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fireburger: WOW thank you! I would have never found the game myself!

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2943  Edited By Dray2k

@misq23123: Was this a notable Spanish character invovled? Or was this more like "Spanish themed"? Because a mission in spain with cannons suggests that it was a game with a naval setting also.

This sort of tells me you mean a game within the Anno series, probably Anno 1602, lots of Spanish looking dudes there. It sort of fits about everything you told us. Its a game made in the late 90s. I don't remember about "Moving via shop"...I can't remember any game that had this sort of feature (it must've been a huge world). Beasts and Pumpkins falls out. You could buy travel equipment in the shop (Ships and whatever) and since Anno 1602 was Spanish themed at parts, I think there were Spanish chracters also.

It may be Stronghold, but I doubt it since it wasn't colorful. If this wasn't it, maybe it was a game from the Lords of the Realm series. If it wasn't, could you remember if it was a DOS game?

@nightcre@fireburger: Baldies, which was the prequel to Skullcaps, deserves note also. Not only because Skullcaps was a unoptimized mess (the game lagged like shit for no reason all the time) but also because it also had the same features as Skullcaps but was lacking the 3d stuff. So providing a info link just in case since its always good to know both games as both were fun in their own regard. Baldies/Skullcaps series is a vastly underrated one that everyone should at least look into or to the very least just watch some YouTube video of it, I think its one of those series that should be remade.

EDIT: Baldies has a good GB entry also, worth to check out

misq23123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dray2k: Nope, not Anno 1602 either. And neither is it spanish themed, but I know there is a spanish person in the game.

I misspelled ship in my first post, sorry about that. I meant that the character could get into the ship and move to other island via ship and stuff.

It was neither Stronghold nor a game of the Lord of the Realm series. The game didn't have magic and knights I think. It was in the kind of era like in Anno 1602, but I'm not sure if it was earlier or later.

I don't think that it was a DOS game, it had similar graphics to your named games.

Also: I remembered one important fact. There were always portrait of the "hero" character (e.g. spanish dude) on the bottom of the sceen.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2945  Edited By Dray2k

@misq23123: Well, we both consider different themes as Spanish I guess. Anno 1602 has a minor spanish style to it, soldiers wearing 15th Century armor and the ship design.

I also looked further and found No Man's Land which sorta looks like the game you're talked about also. But apart from the demo I've played 12 years in the past, I don't quite remember much about it other that you could play as Spain. Perhaps this is it?

I don't quite remember any other RTS/Tactic game that could start with a N.

misq23123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dray2k said:

@misq23123: Well, we both consider different themes as Spanish I guess. Anno 1602 has a minor spanish style to it, soldiers wearing 15th Century armor and the ship design.

I also looked further and found No Man's Land which sorta looks like the game you're talked about also. But apart from the demo I've played 12 years in the past, I don't quite remember much about it other that you could play as Spain. Perhaps this is it?

I don't quite remember any other RTS/Tactic game that could start with a N.

That's the game! Thank you so much for your help. (I hope i quoted right)

JustLissy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I reallly need to find the name of this game! It's one of those "Find the Hidden Object" games, but it's underwater. There were places like a large theatre that had the 2 masks (one smiling and one frowning) , there was a backstage, dressing room, green house(you had to find seed packets and stuff) and many other places that I can see in my mind but I can't describe. Please, if any of you know this game please let me know! I'm surprised I remember so much about it even though it was soo long ago. Thank you!

ronjenje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello. So there was a game I played when I was yound it was around 2005-2006 but game was much older I think something like 1995-2000. You were playing a little dude that had to save other little people and unlock various cages doors and even dive though water to get there. I think map had some spiderwebs, arrowshooting devices.. You could even chose a level where lava would go up the screen and you had to save the little people and run from lava. It's something like todays raider rush but for windows. Any help would be amazing.. Thak you in advance.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T0FFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to help my friend find an old game. It's for pc, you play a yellow submarine and can find minerals that you use a hook to collect. Any ideas?