Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Community Spotlight! I am your host as always, and we have some big announcements to get through! @mento and @rmanthorp are your two new moderators on Giant Bomb! Join the rest of the community in welcoming them both to the fold over here. Another piece of news comes from Mr. Rorie. Sometime next week you can expect new posters, and the 2014 subscriber t-shirt to go on sale! If you haven't used your subscriber coupon get excited! @fobwashed has been on an awesome art making grinder. He even made a great Banner Saga inspired version of Will Smith. People have even gotten creative enough to include Giant Bomb in their webcomics.
Clip of the Week
So StarForge...that's a video game. Oh and if you haven't been watching patrick's attempt at Dark Souls...just know that he now understand why people hate hate Anor Londo.
- Giant Bomb Community Pokemon League Season 4 - Join the Community League Over Here!
Join me in giving @billymaysrip a round of applause for doing a bang up job on the game page for Darius. He didn't even let a wiki glitch that resulted in him being awarded just 3 points for all of his work to discourage him in continuing to edit the database.
Best of Blogs
As mentioned in the introductions Fobwashed has been killing it with his art this week. Check out and comment on his creative treatments of the Giant Bomb logo. A Link Between Worlds inspired Hailinel to give Hyrule Historia a shot and you can read about what he thought on the book. Gamer_152 tackles the fallacy that many gamers have committed when dismissing something as "not being a game." ArbitraryWater started 2014 on a mediocre note thanks to XCOM Declassified. Instead of playing a point and click adventure game SirOptimusPrime made a pilgrimage that every classic PC gamer makes...that pilgrimage being playing System Shock 2. Speaking of horrifying experiences Halomaste19 shares why he was utterly terrified when playing Gone Home. Video_Game_King is still dealing with demons of all sorts with Darwinia and Koudelka as his games of choice this week. MooseyMcMan got some gaming done this week and discusses why he really enjoyed DmC Devil may Cry. GunstarRed bought a Sega Saturn and wants to explain why that wasn't THAT crazy of a decision. GERALTITUDE played a lot recently, but really wants you to know that Super Mario Galaxy is a masterpiece worth experiencing. Cathryn has decided to finally put down Skyrim...after perpetually playing it for two years straight, and shares her final impressions of it. MachoFantastico discusses how he's used games to recuperate from a burst appendix. Marino breaks down his conflicted thoughts about the Pantheon Kickstarter as a big fan of EverQuest. Given the increase in interest over the Souls franchise MikeLemmer has blogged about how being different in your design and control scheme doesn't always make a game harder. EpicSteve returns to making Amateur Bombastica, and this time did something about Dragon Ball. Speaking of old ass Japanese games Chemystery decided to go back and try to finish some of the old PS2 era .hack games. Tarfuin pontificated upon Papers, Please and its ability to convey morality. PeezMachine has another update on his Giant Bomb x Widjammers game, whereas Finstern shares the open source Windjammers clone he made as part of a Game Jam he participated in. MisterBananFoam returns to his blog series related to beating the first Jak and Daxter game, and librariangmr discusses why he returned to The Old Republic. Finally dankempster shares how his most recent attempt to tackle his Steam backlog went.
- Giant Bomb Logo Treatments (By: @fobwashed)
- Belated Impressions of Hyrule Historia (By: @hailinel)
- "But It's Not A Game" (By: @gamer_152)
- "Third Person Shooters Featuring Aliens" and Other Wonderful Uses of Time and Money (By: @arbitrarywater)
- Point and Autobot - A Not-so-Brief Detour, Part I (By: @siroptimusprime)
- Demons Have Taken Over the Internet. Shin Megami Tensei is Not Involved (By: @video_game_king)
- More Fear Then Ever Before: The Last Moments of Gone Home (By: @halomaste19)
- [Insert Witty Blog Title Here.] (By: @mooseymcman)
- Sega Saturn Blog (By: @gunstarred)
- Backlog CatchUp: Lords of Shadow, Ni No Kuni, Last of Us, DmC and SMG (By: @geraltitude)
- Skyrim, 2 Years On... (By: @cathryn)
- A Burst Appendix and a Ruined Christmas/New Year (By: @machofantastico)
- Pantheon Kickstarter: Chasing the Memories (By: @marino)
- Difficulty Due to Being Different (By: @mikelemmer)
- Amateur Encyclopedia Bombastica: Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout (By: @epicsteve)
- More .Hackin' and Questin' (By: @chemystery)
- So I Just Played: Papers Please (By: @tarfuin)
- SummerJammer Update #6: Lights, Camera, Action (By: @peezmachine)
- GiantBombers - An Open Source Windjammers Clone (By: @finstern)
- MBF'S Retraux-Spective: Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (Part 3) (By: @misterbananafoam)
- Returning to SWTOR (By: @librariangmr)
- Letting Off Some Steam - January Edition (By: @dankempster)
The great art continues with Saik0u's Windjammers x Vinny fanart. MB is working on creating stats for every episode of the Demon's Souls Breaking Brad, and TruthTellah has taken the time to create convenient links to every AGDQ stream. FInally join the community in discussing Broken Age, Zelda II and if the way you play games reflects your personality.
- Vinjammer (Drawing/Illustration ) (By: @saik0u)
- How Does Your Play Style Reflect Your Personality? (By: @peezmachine)
- Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls (Pt 1, Brad is Good at Games) (By: @mb)
- Broken Age Story Discussion Thread (Spoiler Warning!) (By: @abendlaender)
- Would you Want to Play a New Zelda Game in the Vein of Zelda II? (By: @hailinel)
- AGDQ 2014: Easy Links to Watch Every Awesome Run! (By: @truthtellah)
DevourerOfTime has finally published his top ten list...for the ten games that bummed him out in 2013. Also, help _K1_ create a comprehensive list of the last games of big development studios.
Useful User Reviews
- @phatmac's review of Broken Age (Act 1)
- @sackmanjones's review of Dead Rising 3
- @sparky_buzzsaw's review of DmC Devil May Cry
- @davvyk's review of Contrast
- @soulharvester45's review of Metro Last Light
- @wemibelec90's review of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin
- @chaser324's review of 3D Super Hang-On