The Community Spotlight - 01/17/2014

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Special Thanks to Fobwashed for this Simple Yet Great Banner!
Special Thanks to Fobwashed for this Simple Yet Great Banner!

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Community Spotlight! I am your host as always, and we have some big announcements to get through! @mento and @rmanthorp are your two new moderators on Giant Bomb! Join the rest of the community in welcoming them both to the fold over here. Another piece of news comes from Mr. Rorie. Sometime next week you can expect new posters, and the 2014 subscriber t-shirt to go on sale! If you haven't used your subscriber coupon get excited! @fobwashed has been on an awesome art making grinder. He even made a great Banner Saga inspired version of Will Smith. People have even gotten creative enough to include Giant Bomb in their webcomics.

Clip of the Week

So StarForge...that's a video game. Oh and if you haven't been watching patrick's attempt at Dark Souls...just know that he now understand why people hate hate Anor Londo.

Community Activities

• Giant Bomb Community Pokemon League Season 4 - Join the Community League Over Here!

Wonderful Wikis

Join me in giving @billymaysrip a round of applause for doing a bang up job on the game page for Darius. He didn't even let a wiki glitch that resulted in him being awarded just 3 points for all of his work to discourage him in continuing to edit the database.

Best of Blogs

As mentioned in the introductions Fobwashed has been killing it with his art this week. Check out and comment on his creative treatments of the Giant Bomb logo. A Link Between Worlds inspired Hailinel to give Hyrule Historia a shot and you can read about what he thought on the book. Gamer_152 tackles the fallacy that many gamers have committed when dismissing something as "not being a game." ArbitraryWater started 2014 on a mediocre note thanks to XCOM Declassified. Instead of playing a point and click adventure game SirOptimusPrime made a pilgrimage that every classic PC gamer makes...that pilgrimage being playing System Shock 2. Speaking of horrifying experiences Halomaste19 shares why he was utterly terrified when playing Gone Home. Video_Game_King is still dealing with demons of all sorts with Darwinia and Koudelka as his games of choice this week. MooseyMcMan got some gaming done this week and discusses why he really enjoyed DmC Devil may Cry. GunstarRed bought a Sega Saturn and wants to explain why that wasn't THAT crazy of a decision. GERALTITUDE played a lot recently, but really wants you to know that Super Mario Galaxy is a masterpiece worth experiencing. Cathryn has decided to finally put down Skyrim...after perpetually playing it for two years straight, and shares her final impressions of it. MachoFantastico discusses how he's used games to recuperate from a burst appendix. Marino breaks down his conflicted thoughts about the Pantheon Kickstarter as a big fan of EverQuest. Given the increase in interest over the Souls franchise MikeLemmer has blogged about how being different in your design and control scheme doesn't always make a game harder. EpicSteve returns to making Amateur Bombastica, and this time did something about Dragon Ball. Speaking of old ass Japanese games Chemystery decided to go back and try to finish some of the old PS2 era .hack games. Tarfuin pontificated upon Papers, Please and its ability to convey morality. PeezMachine has another update on his Giant Bomb x Widjammers game, whereas Finstern shares the open source Windjammers clone he made as part of a Game Jam he participated in. MisterBananFoam returns to his blog series related to beating the first Jak and Daxter game, and librariangmr discusses why he returned to The Old Republic. Finally dankempster shares how his most recent attempt to tackle his Steam backlog went.

Fantastic Forums

The great art continues with Saik0u's Windjammers x Vinny fanart. MB is working on creating stats for every episode of the Demon's Souls Breaking Brad, and TruthTellah has taken the time to create convenient links to every AGDQ stream. FInally join the community in discussing Broken Age, Zelda II and if the way you play games reflects your personality.

Lovable Lists

DevourerOfTime has finally published his top ten list...for the ten games that bummed him out in 2013. Also, help _K1_ create a comprehensive list of the last games of big development studios.

Useful User Reviews

Potent Podcasts

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

I'm really looking forward to seeing how those two windjammer games pan out =D

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Join me in giving @billymaysrip a round of applause for doing a bang up job on the game page for Darius. He didn't even let a wiki glitch that resulted in him being awarded just 3 points for all of his work to discourage him in continuing to edit the database.

Can't the moderators manually set the wiki points somebody gets for a submission? I remember hearing something about that during the redesign; does that only apply to users under 1000 points, if at all?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

Thanks for the mention, ZombiePie! It's "TruthTellah", but I'll take the abbreviation as a term of endearment. ha. :)

Hopefully this means more people will get to check out all of the runs and perhaps thank the runners through donating to Prevent Cancer!

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hey @zombiepie for future reference I've started posting the Lincolncast/Scotchcast episodes to the forums again for the podcast section. The most recent one is here.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@video_game_king: The mods gave me 3000 points, it's just those points don't show up on the wiki "Top contributor" section.

Coincidentally, I make a huge edit to the Darius wiki page, and then @jeff mentions Darius during a QL!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@zombiepie said:

Can't the moderators manually set the wiki points somebody gets for a submission? I remember hearing something about that during the redesign; does that only apply to users under 1000 points, if at all?

We don't have the capability to assign points to edits that bypass the moderation queue (i.e. edits from users with 1000+ wiki points), but we can directly modify a user's wiki points total.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Thanks for the mention!

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By pyromagnestir

@zombiepie

I think that last blog isn't linked to the right thing. It's sending me to @truthtellah's thread about speed runs, and I'm pretty sure the site has yet to become sentient enough to know that I really just want to spend the next 48 - 72 hours watching speed runs and thus is redirecting me to where I truly want to go.

...It hasn't, right?

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By pyromagnestir

So if you're looking for a list I made this one a week or two ago, but I just fleshed it out with a bunch more games and also wrote some stuff up for each one.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZombiePie  Staff

Looks like I never sent out notifications to users that will make an appearance on the next edition of the Community Spotlight. Well here's to lost time:

@jim_efantis@peezmachine@video_game_king@sir_williamiii@amlabella@donchipotle (I should really play a Final Fantasy game) @tarfuin@epicsteve(x3?) @phatmac@dochaus (yo son Kill la Kill is NOT good anime!) @chemystery@clintlandon@chrisharris@pezen@entmoot@mento@wess@siroptimusprime@mikelemmer@mirkos77@hailinel@grantheaslip@pseg@chronicthehedgehog@turboman@dwigtk@jim_efantis@dankempster@dimsey@aimlessaj@shinboy630

Great job everyone! You all will have something on the next edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#15 gamer_152  Moderator

If I'm not too late, one more for your crapwagon Zombie.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zombiepie:

That is awesome, thanks zombiepie, can't wait to see it.

Sir_WilliamIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Sir_WilliamIII
Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#18 Mento  Moderator

Since I didn't do shit last week, here's twoblogs and a list. Boom.

masterwgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By masterwgs

So I've got two things to kinda showcase.

Firstly, a friend and I have an ongoing series where we essentially Quick Look RPG Maker games. This week we played "Leo * Leah," by Strangeluv.

Also, I helped make a primer/tutorial video for the upcoming (or recently released in Europe) Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z - a co-op action RPG based on everyone's favorite anime featuring monkey men from space with laser hands. This will be an ongoing series, because the internet (and even Bandai Namco) seems to have the wrong idea about this game (it's not a fighting game). Here's the first video: Battle of Z - What is it?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Shivoa

If the cut-off hasn't passed: I did a blog response to one of the articles @patrickklepek posted in Worth Reading about difficulty (and followed it up with more in the comments)

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZombiePie  Staff

The latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight is available over here.