The Community Spotlight - 02/28/2014

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Special Thanks to Teddie for This Fantastic Work of Art!
Special Thanks to Teddie for This Fantastic Work of Art!

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! I am your host as always. The chat system has been updated so the new reply system should be fine. Earlier this week the CBSi live stream servers were functioning at 30%, but we should be fine now. Not only that but we have a new batch of chat emoticons for you to abuse/enjoy! Brad Muir, Dave Lang, Cool Baby, and myself are all new emoticons you can use and enjoy. On a bit of a low note our former sister sit, Screened, is closing down. Share and discuss your favorite Screened memories over here. Patrick got jolted by his teenage self when someone located an old letter he sent to The Official PlayStation Magazine. Speaking of Patrick Tumblr user jneuman13 admits to being the one that rope a doped Patrick into a talk at his campus. With that let's get on with the latest edition of the Community Spotlight!

Clips of the Week

wallofbricks is back with another video showcasing Brad's follies in Demon's Souls.

Community Activities

• Form/Find a Fantasy Dota League - Join Other Users in Creating Fantasy Leagues Over Here!
  • Battlefield 4 GBSQ Platoon - Join the Newly Created Community Platoon for Battlefield 4 Over Here!
  • Giant Bomb Diablo III Clan - Enjoy the Diablo III Update with Other Users By Heading Over Here!
  • Community RUST Server - Get an Invite to Join PHARAOH's Private Server for GB User Over Here!

Wonderful Wikis

Someone...@demoskinos put over two hunder wiki points into Project DIVA 2nd. Read all about Hatsune Freaku there. Also with the new Strider read all about the two major versions of the original Strider game.

Best of Blogs

We have another video game "conspiracy theory" this week, but this one comes from thatpinguino and Persona 4's anti-video game agenda. ArbitraryWater has a blog discussing a decidedly not so old PC game, Might & Magic X, and why it tickled his fancy. Video_Game_King is back in Japan this week, and this time toiled away in the daimyo with Sakura Samurai and Tenchu. Gamer_152 explains why he doesn't think Titanfall is the "next Call of Duty," and pontificates on what he enjoyed and disliked about the beta. lordgodalming cuts to the chase with this edition of his "Good Games that Cheat" blog with Ninja Gaiden and Lords of Shadow. Cathryn uses the Fable and Persona franchises to discuss her unusual relationship with game sequels. Mento has panty shots and a MS Paint webcomic this week. PerfidiousSinn has been playing Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate again and provides his final thoughts on the good and bad of the game. Granderojo explains why the iOS port of R-Type II has potential to be great, but is held back by control weirdness. MooseyMcMan talks about his experiences with Metro Last Light and Remember Me and why they have great atmosphere but questionable gameplay. PimblyCharles has broken the 1,000th post mark this week and looks back on following the GB staff for ten years. NathHaw interviewed a bunch of cosplayers from Katsucon XX, and dudeglove shares his dedication to The Binding of Isaac over the years.

Fantastic Forums

Teddie is the one who provided that wonderful Binding of Patrick artwork that I used for the banner. So if you can send your regards to him. wallofbricks has yet another awesome compilation video of some hilarious moments from Brad and Vinny's romp through Demon's Souls. On top of that join other members of the community in predicting how many times you will die playing Dark Souls II. Should stealth games allow you to kill the gaurds impeding your progress? Also join the discussion related to the shutdown of GFWL, HD remakes, dead franchises, and Persona 5.

Lovable Lists

Jagged85 continues to examine pan-generational aspects of the gaming industry with a list of "the most powerful consoles."

Useful User Reviews

Potent Podcasts

Brad is SOOO Moe it Hurts.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

We have another video game "conspiracy theory" this week, but this one comes from thatpinguino and Persona 4's anti-video game agenda.

Is that what the kids are calling literary analysis these days?

Also, what the hell is this?

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Lava

Hi! I'm jneuman13, on here I'm Lava. It was awesome to have Patrick come and speak at the conference I attended! He shared a lot of personal anecdotes about dealing with the Internet. I think a lot of students don't realize that in order to be a journalist in the coming years, interaction with the audience is KEY. And, well, we all know Patrick has his ups and downs with the Internet.

It was great! While it was my senior year and I probably wont be able to see him at a conference again it was a great opprotunity to finally meet one of the Giant Bomb duders. Not being able to make it to a Pax yet to a panel and when the tour got cancelled I thought I never would. I had to jump at the opportunity to make this happen.

flight815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You forgot one thing.

No Caption Provided

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Neonie
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You forgot one thing.

Some reader found an old letter I wrote to PSM years and years and years ago. Everything about this is embarrassing. https://t.co/AklmY3c4LK

— Patrick Klepek (@patrickklepek) February 27, 2014
No Caption Provided

It's nice to know that Young Patrick was definitely part of the problem. I'd put it almost on the same level as Hardcore Dave and his opinions about Dungeon Siege.

Also thanks for putting my dumb internetblog on here as always. Kill La Kill is still not very good.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I find a lot of things amusing but I rarely have a physical reaction and actually laugh out loud. That Patrick letter. Man. That's just the most hilarious thing ever.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Thanks for the mention!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I find a lot of things amusing but I rarely have a physical reaction and actually laugh out loud. That Patrick letter. Man. That's just the most hilarious thing ever.

I read that letter while I was at work and had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. Just amazing!

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Congrats everyone!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#11  Edited By Brackynews

I was told there would be more Me in this post? Though I'm not sure why. (The STO stuff?)

Actually I've been meaning to post something in General for a while, you can mention that now or later if you like. :)

Wonderful image work as always. Tiny correction to "sister site" near the top.

Proud to say I lived through the Magazine Wars. I've seen some shit, man. *clutches Next Generation premiere issue*

Avatar image for absolutelyalmost
AbsolutelyAlmost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, internet overdose here I come.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thatpinguino

@video_game_king: Thanks for the backup! I guess one's literary analysis is another's conspiracy theory.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino:

The line between the two is often blurry. In fact, I think it's the difference between "COINCIDENCE!?" and (Derrida 35).

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By BisonHero

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

I read that letter while I was at work and had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. Just amazing!

Hey, so that Twitter link to this letter Patrick wrote doesn't appear to work anymore. Is it supposed to direct to Facebook? Facebook just basically gives me a 404 and tells me something is fucked up.

Anyone care to post a screenshot of that letter?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ZombiePie  Staff

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

Hey, so that Twitter link to this letter Patrick wrote doesn't appear to work anymore. Is it supposed to direct to Facebook? Facebook just basically gives me a 404 and tells me something is fucked up.

Anyone care to post a screenshot of that letter?

My link in the freaking Spotlight works, and has always worked.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@zombiepie: My bad, I somehow missed the link while reading the blog itself, and only saw the Patrick tweet that somebody else put in the comments (which doesn't work). But you're right! Your link works just fine.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee

Hey! So I've been further expanding and cleaning up a lot of minor Resident Evil character pages lately -- basically the lesser known STARS members, minus Bob Kendo. And on that note, I'd like to think the actual S.T.A.R.S. page I've long helmed over is lookin' rather spiffy as well, so I'd appreciate them getting put up! x)

Ooh, also!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#20  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Well, let's see:

• I finished my LP series Mento-kun Goes to Japan, a working title I wisely didn't use, after it was highlighted last time.
  • I wrote up my thoughts on Spelunky after finally acquiring all the achievements. I can at last walk away from that endless cycle of risible deaths.
  • A list about haircuts, from a guy who is very much overdue for one.
  • This isn't mine, but please include dankempster's "Nuzlocke Challenge" series, already two parts in. I could see it becoming as big in scope as Enduring Final Fantasy VII. There's already way more pictures.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZombiePie  Staff

Alrighty so here is who have down thus far:

@blacklagoon@hailinel@marshermallow(amazing art work) @mannymar(Dark Souls returns) @brackynews(Follow Friday?) @majormitch@thatpinguino(not a conspiracy theory) @wallofbricks(two videos) @turboman(video) @tarfuin@geraltitude@moonlightmoth@humanity@y2ken(banner) @flstyle@andmm(Chrome extension) @sin4profit(great Alt+F1 banner) @hero_swe@phatmac(podcast) @mikelemmer@mento

Great work everyone, you are going to have something on for teh next edition of the Community Spotlight!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I notice a name missing.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#23 gamer_152  Moderator
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZombiePie  Staff

@yummylee said:

Hey! So I've been further expanding and cleaning up a lot of minor Resident Evil character pages lately -- basically the lesser known STARS members, minus Bob Kendo. And on that note, I'd like to think the actual S.T.A.R.S. page I've long helmed over is lookin' rather spiffy as well, so I'd appreciate them getting put up! x)

Ooh, also!

I hope you don't mind if I space these out over the course of two weeks.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers