Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Stay Unprofessional Any-day, Everyday!
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! The beta site is going to become the new Giant Bomb Tuesday, February 12th! Still free to file bug reports on the beta site as it will help the engineers better prepare the site for the launch. Related to the new site is that the moderation and banning system is being changed on the new site. For wiki editors the snapshot for the new site of the current site will be done around the 10th so realize your wiki edits will not carry over when that happens. As you may or may not be aware of our very own Patrick Klepek celebrated his birthday on the 7th...and then proceeded to break his collarbone. Wish Patrick a speedy recovery and a painless surgery over here.  
Notable Birthdays this week: Patrick Klepek, and BoG. 

Game Nights and Community Activities 

• Giant Bomb Community Tournament #1 StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm - Date Set for March 23rd - Get the Details Over Here!

Wonderful Wikis 

This week we have a handful of big and notable game releases this week...and by that I mean two or three depending on how your gaming tastes swing. Regardless Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is clearly the front runner as the most important game this week with Fire Emblem Awakening, Dead Space 3, and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time already being dead before they were released.  

Best of Blogs 

The blog of the week this week comes from EpicSteve who has written an incredibly powerful and personal blog about how video games have helped him deal with PTSD and coming back home from a tour in Afghanistan. It's definitely worth a read if you haven't check it out so far. Another big notable this week comes from Rappelsiini who has hosted a community round-table project where users share their opinions about major questions and issues facing the video game industry and community. With the first wave of big games of the year community is a buzz about the recent releases this week. Phatmac explains why he enjoyed Ni no Kuni, but found that a lot of the game didn't really work for him, whereas Mikey2D has set out to play all of DmC and formulate his own opinion of the game free of the controversy surrounding the game. ArbitraryWater, our old game expert, decided to give Dead Space 3 a go and discusses why it went in the wrong direction in terms of its direction, and unfortunately dankempster talks about his fears about the new direction of Dead Space 3 pending its release. Menace to society Video_Game_King provides a weekly blog about his wacky and odd adventures in Dear Esther as well as MC Kids, while GrantHeaslip continues to give an update on his progress with his Final Fantasy XIII play-through. DevourerOfTime completes his blog series annotating the games he's most excited about with his top five most anticipated games of 2013, and blogging machine Mento has two major blogs this week one with a fun webcomic and the other detailing the weird world of Japanese video games. Dark_Lord_Spam has spent a good deal of time with Guild Wars 2 and explains why the lack of tutorials hurts the game for newcomers, and simultaneously thebigred explains why the art styles of most isometric RPGs aren't what he finds to be appropriate for the genre. Terra was Chubbaluphigouss first real MMO and he discusses how he feels about the game now that it's going Free 2 Play. mtmckinley is still playing Skyrim, but is making it a refreshing experience by adding a good deal of role-playing to his play-through. MetalGearSunny got a PlayStation Vita as a birthday gift and provides his impressions of the platform, D_W explains how his progress in making his own video games is going, and finally MisterBanaFoam gives you an update on his Donkey Kong 64 "endurance run." 

Fantastic Forums 

big_jon has reached the highest rank in Halo 4's and provides the most comprehensive and detailed review of the game you will ever read. Yummylee has created a forum post about the oddness of the Dead Space 3 Co-op mode. As already mentioned wish Patrick well in his surgery related to his broken collarbone. Finally check out the latest batch of Giant Bomb Bingo sheets that kre8havoc has created. 

Lovable Lists

The master of lists, Mento, graces us with a fun list of every game which have depicted video game characters in chains. Next we have Archlord with a list of his favorite games as well as why they have a close place in his heart. 

Useful User Reviews 

User Created Podcasts 

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! The beta site is going to become the new Giant Bomb Tuesday, February 12th! Still free to file bug reports on the beta site as it will help the engineers better prepare the site for the launch. Related to the new site is that the moderation and banning system is being changed on the new site. For wiki editors the snapshot for the new site of the current site will be done around the 10th so realize your wiki edits will not carry over when that happens. As you may or may not be aware of our very own Patrick Klepek celebrated his birthday on the 7th...and then proceeded to break his collarbone. Wish Patrick a speedy recovery and a painless surgery over here.  
Notable Birthdays this week: Patrick Klepek, and BoG. 

Game Nights and Community Activities 

• Giant Bomb Community Tournament #1 StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm - Date Set for March 23rd - Get the Details Over Here!

Wonderful Wikis 

This week we have a handful of big and notable game releases this week...and by that I mean two or three depending on how your gaming tastes swing. Regardless Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is clearly the front runner as the most important game this week with Fire Emblem Awakening, Dead Space 3, and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time already being dead before they were released.  

Best of Blogs 

The blog of the week this week comes from EpicSteve who has written an incredibly powerful and personal blog about how video games have helped him deal with PTSD and coming back home from a tour in Afghanistan. It's definitely worth a read if you haven't check it out so far. Another big notable this week comes from Rappelsiini who has hosted a community round-table project where users share their opinions about major questions and issues facing the video game industry and community. With the first wave of big games of the year community is a buzz about the recent releases this week. Phatmac explains why he enjoyed Ni no Kuni, but found that a lot of the game didn't really work for him, whereas Mikey2D has set out to play all of DmC and formulate his own opinion of the game free of the controversy surrounding the game. ArbitraryWater, our old game expert, decided to give Dead Space 3 a go and discusses why it went in the wrong direction in terms of its direction, and unfortunately dankempster talks about his fears about the new direction of Dead Space 3 pending its release. Menace to society Video_Game_King provides a weekly blog about his wacky and odd adventures in Dear Esther as well as MC Kids, while GrantHeaslip continues to give an update on his progress with his Final Fantasy XIII play-through. DevourerOfTime completes his blog series annotating the games he's most excited about with his top five most anticipated games of 2013, and blogging machine Mento has two major blogs this week one with a fun webcomic and the other detailing the weird world of Japanese video games. Dark_Lord_Spam has spent a good deal of time with Guild Wars 2 and explains why the lack of tutorials hurts the game for newcomers, and simultaneously thebigred explains why the art styles of most isometric RPGs aren't what he finds to be appropriate for the genre. Terra was Chubbaluphigouss first real MMO and he discusses how he feels about the game now that it's going Free 2 Play. mtmckinley is still playing Skyrim, but is making it a refreshing experience by adding a good deal of role-playing to his play-through. MetalGearSunny got a PlayStation Vita as a birthday gift and provides his impressions of the platform, D_W explains how his progress in making his own video games is going, and finally MisterBanaFoam gives you an update on his Donkey Kong 64 "endurance run." 

Fantastic Forums 

big_jon has reached the highest rank in Halo 4's and provides the most comprehensive and detailed review of the game you will ever read. Yummylee has created a forum post about the oddness of the Dead Space 3 Co-op mode. As already mentioned wish Patrick well in his surgery related to his broken collarbone. Finally check out the latest batch of Giant Bomb Bingo sheets that kre8havoc has created. 

Lovable Lists

The master of lists, Mento, graces us with a fun list of every game which have depicted video game characters in chains. Next we have Archlord with a list of his favorite games as well as why they have a close place in his heart. 

Useful User Reviews 

User Created Podcasts 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ZombiePie said:

Menace to society Video_Game_King
You know I am.
You know I am.
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By fobwashed

@Video_Game_King said:

@ZombiePie said:

Menace to society Video_Game_King
You know I am.
You know I am.

Much better than a "first". Haha

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Fobwashed:

That is her first album, though. (Also, my first entry into this totally insane genre of Photoshop I probably made up.)

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
@Video_Game_King: Well I'm not going to call you a "king," beyond your username if that's what you are wondering. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ZombiePie said:

Well I'm not going to call you a "king," beyond your username if that's what you are wondering.

Why would you think if I was wondering that? Also, *glares at you*

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#7  Edited By Mento  Moderator

"Menace to society" is definitely no "master of lists":

No Caption Provided
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Mento:

No Caption Provided
Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Well played.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

http://m.giantbomb.com/chivalry-medieval-warfare/61-38006/pc-gaming-hub-chivalry-duel-tournament/35-577824/ t
this is happening tonight as well... Make sure to tune in...

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Today is officially the last day you will be able to edit the wiki until the new site launches.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Thanks for highlighting the dialogue options blog.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Well the show will go on! Unless something horrible happens I'll try to created a new Spotlight on Friday, but I need your help! I have lost at least two or three comments and the site is difficult to navigate so tell me where all the good stuff is.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tell where all the good stuff is.

There's bound to be some spill-over from the beta, so expect that comment to elicit an uncomfortable amount of sexual shouts.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZombiePie  Staff

@zombiepie

said:

tell where all the good stuff is.

There's bound to be some spill-over from the beta, so expect that comment to elicit an uncomfortable amount of sexual shouts.

Loading Video...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I just noticed that you promoted my Vita blog. Thanks!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I managed to post a blog on the new site without it exploding, huzzah! Shame we can't embed an audio player anymore :(

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZombiePie  Staff

When I was first attempting to make the next Spotlight the site went down. Luckily I didn't lose much progress, but it's getting late and I am exhausted from a hard day. I'm incredibly sorry, but I'm going to have to delay the next Spotlight until Saturday.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

@yummylee said:

This Dead Space 3 user-review s'alright.

Annnnd here's a blog by Greggd.

Bloggity Blog by Rich Gallup.

Thread about general discussion concerning the new site.

Man, it's pretty tough to keep a look out for stuff. So much user activity is currently centred in the bug reporting forums :P That and because it's now nearly impossible to keep a track of your followed user's blogs and such.

I'm going to be honest right now. I need more posts and comments like this. The user activity feed is helpful but different, and the old "User Review" section on the Reviews tab is gone. Other features are visible but sometimes hard to locate so Spotlights are going to have involve a lot more out of myself and you the community.

So please, and I'm saying this from the bottom of my heart, help me out. Let's make this work together.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Here's my stuff for this week: Blog and list. I also wanted to bring up buzz_clik's latest blog, on that weird Gundam puzzle game in case you didn't know about it.

People need to be less squeamish about promoting their material if they're written something worthwhile and want you to feature it. Especially without that "most recent blogs from your followers" sidebar, which I know I'm missing more than I thought I would. You could ask people to do the "@ZombiePie" thing somewhere in their blog if they want it to be considered for the Spotlight so it pops up on your radar, but I dunno if that would work considering how many notifications you must get per week.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By Yummylee

@zombiepie said:

@yummylee said:

This Dead Space 3 user-review s'alright.

Annnnd here's a blog by Greggd.

Bloggity Blog by Rich Gallup.

Thread about general discussion concerning the new site.

Man, it's pretty tough to keep a look out for stuff. So much user activity is currently centred in the bug reporting forums :P That and because it's now nearly impossible to keep a track of your followed user's blogs and such.

I'm going to be honest right now. I need more posts and comments like this. The user activity feed is helpful but different, and the old "User Review" section on the Reviews tab is gone. Other features are visible but sometimes hard to locate so Spotlights are going to have involve a lot more out of myself and you the community.

So please, and I'm saying this from the bottom of my heart, help me out. Let's make this work together.

Oh, yeah they removed the damn user-reviews section, too didn't they. Jeez, it's the little things like that where it's kinda infuriating to see so many people gusher praise all over this re-design when there's still currently a lot of steps for it to take just so it can return to the functionality of the previous design, let alone surpass it.

My ''Friends Activity'' doesn't even update anymore so I'm completely in the dark with what any of the people I'm following are up to. @_@'

Anywhoo here's a thread wishing Sara Lima farewell.

Annd here's a thread I made discussing Alien3 and Alien Resurrection! Off-Topic, but they still count, right?

Thread discussing Metal Gear Rising impressions.

Thread about calling out bad reviews.

Thread discussing the new Dreamfall game kickstarter!

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time review!

Aliens: Colonial Marines review!

And another A;CM review!

Loading Video...

^ That'll be perfect to headline the spotlight, too <3 Blogs are in short supply, though, as you may imagine. Same with lists, or rather they're both being made, it's just the site isn't currently in the most accessible position when it comes to finding them.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZombiePie  Staff
takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers