• 108 results
rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Edited By rorie
Here is your Friendly Reminder that Dan Made a Special Guest Appearance on the Comedy Button Podcast!
Here is your Friendly Reminder that Dan Made a Special Guest Appearance on the Comedy Button Podcast!

Hey everyone! ZombiePie's been putting these community showcases together for years now, and it's well past time to get them more prominently featured. As such, we're going to be hosting them on the homepage moving forward. Although my name's on the byline, ZombiePie deserves all the credit for putting them together. Enjoy! - Rorie

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight. Do not attempt to adjust your computer monitors, YES this edition of the Spotlight is indeed on the frontpage of Giant Bomb rather than being pinned to the forums. Today marks an exciting moment for myself, the Spotlight, and the Giant Bomb Community. Together we are going to experiment and explore new avenues, formats, and activities to more effectively spread the word about the best content that the Giant Bomb Community has to offer every week. However, I would first like to thank Mr. Rorie, Jeff, and all of the members of the staff for allowing this to happen, and of course all of you for continually providing me with the amazing material to justify this happening in the first place. Thank you, and this is and always has been for you.

State of the Site

It goes without saying that the format of the Community Spotlight will be tinkered with in future editions. If you have any suggestions on how to better present community content please feel free to present your ideas and thoughts in the comments below. For this week we will be maintaining the standard format as with previous editions, but I will be taking all of your suggestions for future editions very seriously.

As seen on the banner Dan made a guest appearance on the Comedy Button Podcast which you can catch over here. In regards to site related housekeeping there a few announcements worth sharing. First off if you were having issues posting on the forumsthe issue should be fixed now thanks to the hard efforts of the engineering team. Another issue that the engineers are actively dealing with are the CSFR Token Errors which have been hitting some users on the site. If you have experienced a CSFR Token Error please drop a comment here. Speaking of the engineers they would like for anyone that is still having issues with the Giant Bomb video player to go ahead and run a special diagnostic test to help them locate potential sources to these issues.

Clip(s) of the Week

The first video of the week comes from @turboman who has a new edition of his "Best of Giant Bomb" video series. This episode is all about Dan playing games with his father. The second video comes from the Guilty Gear Xrd Weekly Tournament Group, which you can join here, in the form of an archive of their last tournament.

Awesome Artwork

The first image comes from Kyle G on Twitter who shares his best attempt to create Charlie Tunoka in Bloodborne. The next set of images come from Stochastic Gamer on Tumblr who was inspired by last year's Halloween UPF.

Community Activities

• Giant Bomb Bloodborne Community Group - Get the Password to Join the Group Over HERE!
  • Giant Bomb Community Game Jam - Starting NOW - You Still Have Time to Join the Effort Over HERE!
  • Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run Royal Rumble - NOW WITH MATT RORIE - Learn How You Can Join the Madness and Raise Money for Charity Over HERE!

Wonderful Wikis

The community is just buzzing about Bloodborne and Pillars of Eternity this week and luckily for many users we have some nicely done wiki pages for both of them. Also, a very special thanks is in store for @bobafettjm for doing the research to figure out what Agent Alice was about last week.

Best of Blogs

MeesterO has been playing Final Fantasy XIV for a year and a half now, and has two massive and well written blogs not only detailing his thoughts about the game, but also an explanation as to what keeps bringing him back. Marokai on the other hand got nostalgic for Front Mission 4 which he not only enjoys playing today, but defends as being the "last true Front Mission" in North America. While they oftentimes get a bad rap kyle_is_1derful details his long and overall enjoyable relationship with sports based video games. TurboMan is back with avengance this week with a new and always entertaining edition to his "Best of Giant Bomb" video series. Meanwhile thatpinguino has another Deep Look, but with this edition breaks-down how you can quickly beat all of the bosses from Beatrix 1 to Beatrix 2 in FFIX. Speaking of Final Fantasy games GrantHeaslip continues with his retrospective of FFXIII with a detailed look at how the game sets up the Pulse Verge. Sweep has some pointers on how to beat The Last of Us under the "Grounded" difficulty setting. Mento joined the rest of the community in playing Pillars of Eternity, but went the whole mile in writing a blog about his first impressions of the game. Mento also played the parricide heavy visual novel Long Live the Queen as part of his long running Comic Commish blog series. bobafettjm is happy to discuss all of the good work that he has done on the Giant Bomb wiki this week, and always welcomes you to join him. TheAcidSkull stands by his claim that The Assignment is the best example of DLC he has ever played on his review blog. Tarfuin extrapolates on why he enjoyed Ori and the Blind Forest despite having some issues with how it controlled. Finally MooseyMcMan played catchup with a myriad of PlayStation Plus games this week, and discusses each game in great detail.

Fantastic Forums

In terms of the forums everyone is welcomed to share tips and tricks that you have discovered while playing Pillars of Eternity and/or Bloodborne. We also have general discussion and impressions sharing threads for both Pillars of Eternity AND Bloodborne. We also have a new Tips and Tricks thread for Helldivers. Another opportunity to learn about new games can be found in a user run "Ask Me Anything" thread by chuugoku for the latest iOS/Android Final Fantasy game. Finally can you think of a really monotonous boss fight that you had to deal with in a game you liked? Well that's the topic of debate for this week's community discussion of the week.

Lovable Lists

ATD88 continues his theme of examining the Final Fantasy franchise, but this week he looks at the games in the series that really made the effort to break the standard JRPG mold. Doppelgamer on the other hand looked at the collection of games that he owns but has yet to play and added them to his "Hall of Shame" list. Finally Eder reveals his longstanding love for League of Legends with a list of his ten favorite champions in the game.

User User Reviews

Author's Note: Do YOU want YOUR blog, review, list, or forum topic on the next Community Spotlight? Then just send me a PM with a link to your content and I'll promote it to the best of my abilities!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hassun

There is an official community spotlight now? Neat!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Awesome to see this on the front page now!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's really cool that this is on the main page! You're moving up in the world, ZP! Or something like that!

Also, thanks for including my blog, as always. And thanks to whoever put my PAX blog on the front page too. Was that you? I seriously don't know.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

LOCAL ZOMBIEPIE MAKES GOOD

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Congrats on having your hard work featured more prominently ZombiePie and well done to everyone featured this week!

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@rorie: Could we get Marino's wrestlemania site added to either this community spotlight, or the next one? He doesn't want to add it himself for fear of self promotion, but it's pretty awesome and deserves some exposure!

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#7 Mento  Moderator

Exciting stuff. I hope having the spotlight in a more public venue encourages more community output.

dsouvannarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great feature! I get bummed out when I go a day without new giantbomb content. Is that sad?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool seeing this on the front page. I try my best to check out the community showcase, but always forget to check it. This will make it much easier.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So great to put this as a feature on the main page! I see these every week, and honestly never click on them. But being more prominently placed will probably bug me enough to give the damn things a look.

Duders are endlessly making great stuff here, and it's really encouraging and I'm sure rewarding to get more eyes on all of these cool things.

malestrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great to see the spot light on the front page.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good on you guys for giving this a more prominent placement

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Awesome.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By csl316

Yes! I always click this when I run across it in the forums, but putting it on the front page means I won't miss it. And it's a pretty good way to put up some impromptu weekend content.

Cool. My next hope is that someone starts running a community question of the week, with high quality, Lemon-like videos that we can curate ourselves.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is awesome! It is about time @zombiepie's awesome feature made its way to the front page of the site. I always love seeing how many people put stuff together in this community and its great that more community output is getting surfaced.

Thanks for the spotlight this week!

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, its been a while since I've listened to the comedy button. will check out that podcast, thanks.

MeesterO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MeesterO

I super appreciate being featured this week, I'm having a lot of fun revisiting XIV, and this makes me super psyched to get part 3 up later tonight. Thanks again!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Great to see ZP and the community's work, blogs, and reviews featured on the front end of the site. Just, uh, don't tell Zombie I ever said anything positive about him. He'll be squealing at me for weeks.

ejc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good on GB for putting this in a more prominent spot.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet!

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Turboman is back with avengance", takes me back to checking Patrick's articles :P

And I can't be the only one who thinks it's weird to refer to Rorie as Mr. Rorie? I know it's technically correct, but it just sounds weird to me.

ICantBeStopped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the right way to do this stuff, so I don't have to read it/watch it. Question of the Week was always a disaster, showcasing the worst kind of people in the segment of the populace with which I identify myself. Now, if I come across something stupid, it's my own damn fault. I still love Mondays, even if the Bomb doesn't.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool shit!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may have to start giving this some attention...

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About damn time!

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to add my voice to the throng of people who are saying this is a great idea. Well done, zombie, and thank you, Rorie.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

About time indeed.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#29 gamer_152  Moderator

Glad we have these up here right now. I think showcasing the community content as much as possible is really important and ZombiePie is a hero for putting this thing together every week.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's about damn time. Congrats zombie.

comprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By comprox

I agree this is awesome to have on the front page. Here is some (hopefully good) feedback purely on a layout basis:

- For the "Fantastic Forums" and "Best of Blogs" sections I found it a bit hard to dig through the block of text above the links to find the description for each link. You could put the description of each link under it in a line, or even use the format Patrick used to use for Worth Reading (see the last section "Oh, And This Other Stuff" for a one line idea).

- To save you some typing, you could easily pare down some lines. For example, this line:

• Giant Bomb Community Game Jam - Starting NOW - You Still Have Time to Join the Effort Over HERE!

Could be just

• Giant Bomb Community Game Jam starting NOW - You Still Have Time to Join the Effort

- Also, the use of bold and caps is (in totally my own opinion) a bit over the top. With so much stuff highlighted, my eyes just glaze over and don't focus on anything really. For example, that same line could be written as

• Giant Bomb Community Game Jam starting now - You still have time to join the effort

to focus my attention that it is now starting, instead of all 3 lines of that section being in bold.

Thanks for writing this all up and bringing it to the fore. It's a great summary of all the stuff I tend to miss.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this idea. Looking forward to more posts.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#33 ZombiePie  Staff

@comprox: Next week will feature a format more like "Worth Reading"

@rorie: Could we get Marino's wrestlemania site added to either this community spotlight, or the next one? He doesn't want to add it himself for fear of self promotion, but it's pretty awesome and deserves some exposure!

It will be done.

@gaff said:

And I can't be the only one who thinks it's weird to refer to Rorie as Mr. Rorie? I know it's technically correct, but it just sounds weird to me.

I always refer to the Giant Bomb staff by their proper names. Much to the chagrin of the staff and my fellow moderators.

monkeystick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool feature, I've needed something like this up front and center.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh! Brave new world

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Hey that was a really good read, even created a small bookmark folder in my Bookmarks bar "GB Recommended Links" that's ready to be filled by things like these. Keep them coming and keep the same format!!

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This is awesome!

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great to see these on the front page! Awesome job!

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great move to finally get eyes on the content this great community is making week to week. I'm happy seeing it get more recognition. Maybe it will actually motivate me to write a blog more than once every few months.

@chillicothe: I went back to 3 at some point and it's still an amazing game, with so many things stylistically I love more than 4 (which has a very bland, sterile presentation) but one thing that bummed me out was that the maps are just so small in comparison. The way things go for being on the Ps1 I guess, but I liked how 4 managed to flesh out the stages with larger maps and more mechs in battles at once. I just can't pick a favorite, don't make me!

longevitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Took you guys long enough. GB is nothing without it's community. Hopefully this inspires more people to make more cool stuff.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PUSH ZOMBIEPIE

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wow! Awesome to see this on the frontpage. Good stuff ZombiePie!

BakerMikeRomeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zombiepie on the come-up.

Avatar image for canadiantoastzombie
canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is awesome! :D

MankMachinery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bank tellers and Zombiepie are the two peoples from which you will hear "Mr. Rorie".

MichiganJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will listen to this episode of the Comedy Button, but that will probably be it. That podcast is not so good...The rest of the Geekbox podcasts are good though, and so is Rebel FM. But man, The Comedy Button.... you know what I'm not going to say anything else and leave it at that.

Come and listen to the "Greatest Podcast Ever Recorded".

We only recorded one episode, and it wasn't all that great. Maybe we should have actually got great people to be on it.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Probably should have been on the homepage for awhile right? Good to see that it is now!

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Eventually, Question of the Week will come back... I'm still waiting!