The Community Spotlight - 06/20/2015

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff
Many Thanks to @humanity for This Work of Art!
Many Thanks to @humanity for This Work of Art!

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight. As always, I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host. With the exception of a one "John Vignocchi," we have all survived an arresting slew of announcements and game demos of E3 2015. This week I will be providing you with a brief summary of any E3 related discussions in case you missed them on top of the standard Community Spotlight format.

First, I would like to thank all of the users that participated in the E3 2015 Community Banner contest. The weekly gallery will showcase the winners, but still check out the thread hosting the contest to see the other wonderful works that users submitted for the competition.

Another big thank you is in store for all of the engineers and video techs that worked tirelessly to keep the live chat and stream running. Yes, there may have been some hiccups but it was a monumental task to have a fully functioning chat with a functioning live stream hosting anywhere between two to five thousand users simultaneously.

Of course, please give a big hearty to @marino for working around the clock to get as many game trailers and teasers from E3 posted on the site. It was not an easy task to sift through all of the trailers and promotional videos and determine which were worth hosting on the site, but he managed to do it. Oh and one more thing, don't forget to tip your moderators.

E3 Conference Discussion Thread

E3 2015 may be over but you should still feel welcome to discuss your final impressions about all of the major press conferences hosted during the event. Which conferences hit it out of the park this year, and which conferences fell flat on their faces? Also feel free to discuss any information pertaining to the companies and their later announcements beyond the press conferences:

Clip(s) of the Week

Alright so we have two important videos about the staff's adventures leading up to and during E3 that you cannot find on the site, and another that features complete nonsense. The first video comes from the Giant Bomb Unarchived YouTube account and it has archived Jeff's, Dan's, and Danny's car ride to Los Angeles onto one convenient nine hour video. Not just that but this archive includes Dan's Periscopes during the car ride as well. Check it out whenever you have a spare nine hours to burn. Speaking of "burning," the second video features Jeff doing a "Hot Pepper Review" of Microsoft's Hololense demo at E3. For those that are wondering Jeff ate a habañero pepper for the purposes of his review. Then finally have Dan competing in a "for funzies" Super Smash Bros. competition hosted by ShowDown. Spoilers: He got his booty kicked.

The Giant Bomb Weekly Gallery

As mentioned earlier the gallery this week is a showcase of the winning E3 2015 Community Banner Contest. We have @zzombie13 to thank for the Bethesda Banner, @pickassoreborn for the Microsoft Banner, @feckhead for the EA Banner, @casty for the Ubisoft Banner, @indiana for the Sony Banner, @gnomeonfire for the Nintendo Banner, @hashy for the PC Gamer Banner, and @gmm for the Square Enix Banner.

Best of Blogs

Join the Discussion

Ask and you shall receive Dan Ryckert (By: AURAHACK)
Ask and you shall receive Dan Ryckert (By: AURAHACK)

Lovable Lists

Wonderful Wikis

• Persona 4: Dancing All Night - It was the game that graced press badges this year at E3 2015, and thanks to a huge influx of information about the game a new wave of wiki edits have greatly improved our wiki page for Persona 4: Dancing All Night as you can hopefully see now!
  • Earthbound Beginnings - Mother 1 is being translated and released in North America under the title of Earthbound Beginnings. As a result we have renamed the Mother 1 page to Earthbound Beginnings to reflect this. Beyond that check out our AWESOME wiki page for Earthbound Beginnings to discover its iconic sense of wackiness.

Useful User Reviews

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@slumberpunch: Whole lot of stuff to catch up on. Actually really glad GB is keeping it calm for a few days.

Qjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Qjt

Great round up, good job during E3 Marino!

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Great stuff!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Hell of a year guys.

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we just all stop for a moment and appreciate the unsung heroes of E3? Brad "Marino" Lynch and the whole moderator team. I can’t imagine how crazy it was for you guys this week.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Brad makes a perfect Liquid Snake. Y'know, cause of that British accent of his.

arawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much work was done in front of the camera and behind. Thanks guys!

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Thanks to everyone at GB - staff, moderators, and friends - who helped make this E3 such a joy to watch, listen to, and read about. Y'all are the best people.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TanookiSuit

I'm exhausted.

You guys had amazing coverage this year. As it turns out, late night is where it's at when it comes to my weird east coast schedule. Johnny V for ultimate E3 heel 2015, but in the best way. Love that dude.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Haha, I look forward to Dan's future as a competitive Smash player.

Thanks mods for keeping the chat in check and stuff!

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Props to all the mods for doing a great job keeping the chat clean during the E3 streams! Also, thanks Marino for all the effort putting those trailers up.

I tip my hat to all of you.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Top work to you and all da mods, bravo.

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Now I want Brad to impersonate Cam Clarke on the next UPF.

GeorgeKansas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god I was not expecting that! Thanks for including my list! :D

bWo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A big thank you to everyone at Giant Bomb -- staff, moderators, etc. -- for the great E3 coverage. Great job!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By onarum

this E3 was great!! loved every second of GB's coverage, fucking well done.

Danniku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw man! Thanks for shining a spotlight on my silly blog project. Hope you enjoyed E3 this year.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Patman99

Dan getting fucking wrecked in the Smash Bros tournament is probably the funniest thing he has ever done without saying a word. I love that the announcers didn't know Dan was an editor at Giant Bomb until after the first match. Well done, Dan. Fucking classic.

EDIT: Just finished watching that video. Everyone should watch it. Fucking hell. Way to go, Dan. Christ. This is fucking great and I don't even like Smash Bros.

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Holy shit... Dan's comeback in that Smash game!!! I shouted out loud and my wife came running in thinking something was wrong. XD That was epic!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patman99 said:

Dan getting fucking wrecked in the Smash Bros tournament is probably the funniest thing he has ever done without saying a word. I love that the announcers didn't know Dan was an editor at Giant Bomb until after the first match. Well done, Dan. Fucking classic.

EDIT: Just finished watching that video. Everyone should watch it. Fucking hell. Way to go, Dan. Christ. This is fucking great and I don't even like Smash Bros.

The guy's reaction when he loses a round to Dan's Little Mac is hilarious every time. Also the commentators just eat it up.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patman99 said:

The guy's reaction when he loses a round to Dan's Little Mac is hilarious every time. Also the commentators just eat it up.

You guys are right, this is great. That guy did not look thrilled that he got beat.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan the man! Bringing it when it needed bringin'.

Fink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fink

The pip boy is upside down :P

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

For future community use

No Caption Provided

cettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cettu

Big ups to everyone working behind the scenes, and to the staff as well, you all rock! Last week was great!

Also, thanks for highlighting P4DAN's wiki page! Updating it was my first real attempt at helping out with the wiki, and thanks to @zombiepie, @gamer_152, and @fluxwavez it turned out pretty well, I think!

Hopefully it'll be of some use to folks. I might've gotten a few minor details wrong, but I'll definitely keep working on it. I'll also try my best to update it with the information that we'll get once the game is released in Japan in just two more days!

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PimblyCharles

@darkbeatdk:

No Caption Provided

Thanks duder!

I ran into this photo while googling Lang Zone images and it just felt right to do this. It's a quick shit job, but it works. Lang has no idea what's going to happen to him in the future on the last day of E3 2015, but Ryan knows.

<LOVE RYAN DAVIS> It's MAAAAAAAAGIC

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#29 Marino  Staff
Bob_Omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bob_Omb

First of all, massive thanks to everyone who "made stuff work" behind the scenes!

Everything aired in the middle of the night over here, and I haven´t gone through everything yet. So...what the hell happened to Mr Vignocchi? I understand it was something really awful involving his phone.

edit: Oh.....wow....well.....guess I was kinda half right. That was....special.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@claybrez said:

In an early Bombcast, Brad was out so Jeff impersonated him with a bad British accent (He said "oi guvna," IIRC). ITS CANON.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ajamafalous

Don't tempt me with Chameleon Twist.

@yyziggurat said:
@claybrez said:

In an early Bombcast, Brad was out so Jeff impersonated him with a bad British accent (He said "oi guvna," IIRC). ITS CANON.

Loading Video...

I know this isn't the clip you're talking about, but it's still my favorite Bombcast moment.

RobotSquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it when Dan loses things, there's no way he wasn't yelling FUCK FUCK FUCK!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yyziggurat said:
@claybrez said:

Loading Video...

I know this isn't the clip you're talking about, but it's still my favorite Bombcast moment.

That's also one of my favourite clips. And it probably has to be the clip he was talking about? I can't think of another time where Jeff impersonated Brad using a British accent.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:

@yyziggurat said:
@claybrez said:

Loading Video...

That's also one of my favourite clips. And it probably has to be the clip he was talking about? I can't think of another time where Jeff impersonated Brad using a British accent.

Yes! I wanna say there's a few times he does it, but that could just be me misremembering because I've played that bit in my head so many times.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ajamafalous

@claybrez said:
@bisonhero said:
@ajamafalous said:

@yyziggurat said:
@claybrez said:

Loading Video...

Yes! I wanna say there's a few times he does it, but that could just be me misremembering because I've played that bit in my head so many times.

They did it suuuuuper early in the Bombcast too, which is why this joke was so funny; it was a callback to that

EDIT: Oh wait I just reread his post and yeah the clip is probably what he's talking about. But I believe the joke comes from some super early Bombcast(s?) where whenever Ryan would introduce everyone and he would get to Brad, Brad would reply randomly in a British accent. I'm pretty sure that's what started the whole "do a British accent when you're impersonating Brad" joke. I could, of course, be misremembering all of this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought it was because doing a british accent for a someone with a southern accent is just funny.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

THERE IS LITERALLY NO SUCH THING AS A 'BRITISH ACCENT' GAWD.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Dan landing that KO punch was the dopest shit I've ever seen.

@yummylee said:

Sure there is. In fact, there are tons!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Yummylee

@spunkyhepanda said:

@yummylee said:

Saying someone has a ''British accent'' is so broad as to be worthless. Besides, what people are typically referring to anyway is an English accent. For example nobody ever refers to a Scottish person's accent as a British accent, they'll just say it's a Scottish one.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@yummylee said:
@spunkyhepanda said:

@yummylee said:

Saying someone has a ''British accent'' is so broad as to be worthless. Besides, what people are typically referring to anyway is an English accent. For example nobody ever refers to a Scottish person's accent as a British accent, they'll just say it's a Scottish one.

Worthless to whom? It's absolutely a broad term, but to foreigners, it communicates a general idea. It doesn't mean we hear Helen Mirren and Michael Caine and think they sound the same. As someone who's watched a TON of British TV over the years, I still can't work out the regional accents. We kind of have to go broad. I'd expect people outside the U.S. might say Mark Wahlberg and Matthew McConaughey both have American accents. That's broad enough to be practically meaningless to me as an American, but I don't expect them to know the ins-and-outs of who sounds like what in which parts of the country.

And yes, we're almost always referring to an English accent (still very broad) but even with certain Irish/Scottish/Welsh accents, it can be tough for us to tell.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Yummylee

@spunkyhepanda: You don't need to know the regional accents, as there's so many that even I can't accurately distinguish every single one. However ''British'' goes beyond regional and again incorporates multiple countries. Even I can usually tell the difference between, say, a Northern American and Canadian accent. But if I happen to misrepresent somebody then I would much rather I be corrected than just lazily succumbing to referring to everyone's accent as simply ''American''.