The Community Spotlight - 07/13/2012

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Many Thanks to GB User B0nd07 for the Banner!      
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! First thing worth mentioning is that CBSi is looking for a Javascript engineer to assist in making the new platform for Comic Vine and Giant Bomb. Fans of Spec Ops: The Line should note that Jeff was on a Spoilercast featuring himself, Kevin Van'Ord, and Tom Mc Shea, and lead writer for the game Walt Williams. As he indicated during the SNES Party Mr. Williams sheds some major light on certain story and gameplay decisions made for the game. Also in case you didn't already know the podcast for this week almost got lost as Drew indicated on Twitter. Unfortunately Dave has delayed the next entry of Dave's Fortress to next week due to having to spend more time coding for the site re-design this week. Finally here's the latest entry in GB user TurboMan's Best of Giant Bomb Quick Look video series: 

Game Nights and Activities

• Giant Bomb Persona 4 Arena Tournament (PS3) - Set for August 10th-12th - If You Plan on Playing the Game Sign Up Here
  • Steam Sale Bulk Pack Co-Op July 2012 - Buy Steam Packs With Other Users Over Here
  • Secret World Giant Bomb Guild - Join the Community Guild if You're Playing the Game Over Here

Wonderful Wikis 

The Quantum Conundrum and Exile III: Ruined World wikis have both improved improved immensely from last week. Phantasy Star Online 2 finally has a release date for North America and Europe so head on over to the wiki page to see why there's so much fuss about the game. In case you missed the EVO 2012 Livestreams check out the EVO Championship Series wiki to see who won what. If you still have no idea what any of the special powers or modes are for Tetris Battle Gaiden check out the newly improved wiki page for the game. 

Great Guides

GB user FinalDasa provides a basic but helpful game guide for users interested in Dwarf Fortress but have no idea how to play the game. GB user Villainess continues to write up English translation walkthroughs for old Japanese only games with a walkthrough for Ray-Gun this week. 

Best of Blogs

GB user AlisterCat has written up a blog detailing the various games he has finally completed this week. GB user Jan continues his trend of showing off his fan made 3D models of gaming icons this week with a 3D model of Majora's Mask while GB user CharlesAlanRatliff showcases what he was able to make from the Source Filmmaker beta. GB user mscupcakes asks you to get personal about your top wiki edits and provide an explanation of why you spent so much time on various wiki pages. User skyline7284 professes his regret over all the money and time he has spent on The Sims franchise while GB user Apocralyptic details the various homes he has owned in video games and the way he has furnished them. Video_Game_King finally got around to playing Skyrim and Dead Rising 2 and wrote up his impressions of those games on his very humorous blog. GB user believer258 discusses certain gameplay mechanics from Bulletstorm he would like to see embraced in other shooting games whereas user yeah_write details some small touches game designs and gameplay choices do can to make him like their games more. Speaking of shooters ahoodedfigure went back to System Shock 2 and starts top connect the dots between that game and Bioshock, whereas MooseyMcMan played a slew of shooters and other games ranging from Crysis to Closure this week which you can read about on his two blogs. Sarumarine details the best way to get the "Public Enemy" Spelunky achievement where you have to kill the shopkeeper likewise GB user Doctorchimp details how building his first PC was like and why he recommends it to anyone who can do it. Tomorrowman postulated how violence and the need for killing in games has possibly hurt creativity in video games. GB user JJWeatherman details how he fought his boredom and why he bought an N64 this week. Mento continues his Brief Jaunt Through series on top of a blog about absurd and surrealist humor in video game as dankempster continues his Final Fantasy VII endurance run. Apathylad has written the second part to his blog about what he saw and experienced at the 2012 Anime Expo, Alaska_Gamer discusses how he feels about Catherine and Bayonetta, and finally wumbo3000 provides and update on his Persona 3 FES endurance run. 

Fantastic Forums 

There are a lot of notable threads this week related to the Summer Steam Sale. Fattony12000 has created a list of all the games on sale in case navigating Steam gets slow and hard to navigate. There's an official discussion thread for the Summer Steam Sale as well as a thread where you can post the list of games you have purchased so far. Beyond the Summer Steam Sale discuss games for the SNES that you'd like to see played on the next SNES Party on BeachThunder's forum topic, and post your top 3 games ever on Imephisto's forum topic. 

Lovable Lists 

GB user Mento provides a list version of his blog about absurd and surreal humor in video games with a list of games that employ such humor. Inspired by the "Top 3 Games Ever!" forum topic user Falconer has created a more comprehensive list of his favorite games ever. Doppelgamer lists games from the Dreamcast he'd like to experience having never played game s on a Dreamcast and Zaxxex lists the damage that the Summer Steam Sale has done to his wallet. 

Useful User Reviews 

User Created Podcasts 

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! First thing worth mentioning is that CBSi is looking for a Javascript engineer to assist in making the new platform for Comic Vine and Giant Bomb. Fans of Spec Ops: The Line should note that Jeff was on a Spoilercast featuring himself, Kevin Van'Ord, and Tom Mc Shea, and lead writer for the game Walt Williams. As he indicated during the SNES Party Mr. Williams sheds some major light on certain story and gameplay decisions made for the game. Also in case you didn't already know the podcast for this week almost got lost as Drew indicated on Twitter. Unfortunately Dave has delayed the next entry of Dave's Fortress to next week due to having to spend more time coding for the site re-design this week. Finally here's the latest entry in GB user TurboMan's Best of Giant Bomb Quick Look video series: 

Game Nights and Activities

• Giant Bomb Persona 4 Arena Tournament (PS3) - Set for August 10th-12th - If You Plan on Playing the Game Sign Up Here
  • Steam Sale Bulk Pack Co-Op July 2012 - Buy Steam Packs With Other Users Over Here
  • Secret World Giant Bomb Guild - Join the Community Guild if You're Playing the Game Over Here

Wonderful Wikis 

The Quantum Conundrum and Exile III: Ruined World wikis have both improved improved immensely from last week. Phantasy Star Online 2 finally has a release date for North America and Europe so head on over to the wiki page to see why there's so much fuss about the game. In case you missed the EVO 2012 Livestreams check out the EVO Championship Series wiki to see who won what. If you still have no idea what any of the special powers or modes are for Tetris Battle Gaiden check out the newly improved wiki page for the game. 

Great Guides

GB user FinalDasa provides a basic but helpful game guide for users interested in Dwarf Fortress but have no idea how to play the game. GB user Villainess continues to write up English translation walkthroughs for old Japanese only games with a walkthrough for Ray-Gun this week. 

Best of Blogs

GB user AlisterCat has written up a blog detailing the various games he has finally completed this week. GB user Jan continues his trend of showing off his fan made 3D models of gaming icons this week with a 3D model of Majora's Mask while GB user CharlesAlanRatliff showcases what he was able to make from the Source Filmmaker beta. GB user mscupcakes asks you to get personal about your top wiki edits and provide an explanation of why you spent so much time on various wiki pages. User skyline7284 professes his regret over all the money and time he has spent on The Sims franchise while GB user Apocralyptic details the various homes he has owned in video games and the way he has furnished them. Video_Game_King finally got around to playing Skyrim and Dead Rising 2 and wrote up his impressions of those games on his very humorous blog. GB user believer258 discusses certain gameplay mechanics from Bulletstorm he would like to see embraced in other shooting games whereas user yeah_write details some small touches game designs and gameplay choices do can to make him like their games more. Speaking of shooters ahoodedfigure went back to System Shock 2 and starts top connect the dots between that game and Bioshock, whereas MooseyMcMan played a slew of shooters and other games ranging from Crysis to Closure this week which you can read about on his two blogs. Sarumarine details the best way to get the "Public Enemy" Spelunky achievement where you have to kill the shopkeeper likewise GB user Doctorchimp details how building his first PC was like and why he recommends it to anyone who can do it. Tomorrowman postulated how violence and the need for killing in games has possibly hurt creativity in video games. GB user JJWeatherman details how he fought his boredom and why he bought an N64 this week. Mento continues his Brief Jaunt Through series on top of a blog about absurd and surrealist humor in video game as dankempster continues his Final Fantasy VII endurance run. Apathylad has written the second part to his blog about what he saw and experienced at the 2012 Anime Expo, Alaska_Gamer discusses how he feels about Catherine and Bayonetta, and finally wumbo3000 provides and update on his Persona 3 FES endurance run. 

Fantastic Forums 

There are a lot of notable threads this week related to the Summer Steam Sale. Fattony12000 has created a list of all the games on sale in case navigating Steam gets slow and hard to navigate. There's an official discussion thread for the Summer Steam Sale as well as a thread where you can post the list of games you have purchased so far. Beyond the Summer Steam Sale discuss games for the SNES that you'd like to see played on the next SNES Party on BeachThunder's forum topic, and post your top 3 games ever on Imephisto's forum topic. 

Lovable Lists 

GB user Mento provides a list version of his blog about absurd and surreal humor in video games with a list of games that employ such humor. Inspired by the "Top 3 Games Ever!" forum topic user Falconer has created a more comprehensive list of his favorite games ever. Doppelgamer lists games from the Dreamcast he'd like to experience having never played game s on a Dreamcast and Zaxxex lists the damage that the Summer Steam Sale has done to his wallet. 

Useful User Reviews 

User Created Podcasts 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ZombiePie said:

GB user Villainess continues to write up English translation walkthroughs for old Japanese only games with a walkthrough for Ray-Gun this week.
mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By mscupcakes

Oh wow! I'm really honoured to be included in this! Thanks for the mention :)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Hey thanks for the mention! :)

I'm still working on the guide, so it's in progress. I hope to update it every other day with more info.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SexyToad

Good job to everyone who got spotlighted. Edit: I accidentally bolded that...

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#7  Edited By wumbo3000

Thanks a bunch for the mention!

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By takashichea

Congrats everyone! Keep up the fantastic work.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Should I just append this to the anime appreciation thread or whatever it's called?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

@Video_Game_King said:

Should I just append this to the anime appreciation thread or whatever it's called?

I'd like to go on the record and say I watched two or three episodes of Neo Genesis Evangelion after importing it a years or so before it got an English dub, realized it wasn't my thing, and never thought it would become a thing. This and importing both Pokemon and Naruto a year or so before they were formally introduced in the United States and thinking both were stupid and would never make it big in the U.S. are some of my greatest mispredictions.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, Pokemon? Seriously? You didn't realize it would be a big thing through the anime? Wasn't it already a big thing in Japan, though? Or did you write it off as "that's just Japan, though"?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, Pokemon? Seriously? You didn't realize it would be a big thing through the anime? Wasn't it already a big thing in Japan, though? Or did you write it off as "that's just Japan, though"?

My first exposure with Pokemon was a year prior to the U.S. release of Red and Blue. I got an origami set themed with Pokemon. My sister and I kind of looked at each other and thought all of the Pokemon kind of looked stupid and couldn't figure out how to play the game.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Also the next Spotlight will go up later than normal because I'm helping my grandmother on my father's side move into a retirement home. See you all then.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#14  Edited By Mento  Moderator

I'm a ReBeL, ZP. A loner.

Hope the move goes smoothly.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

Well, I wrote this, and then I wrote this.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Latest Spotlight is up here