The Community Spotlight

• 140 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Systech

Welcome to the Giant Bomb Community Thread! Here, you can find links to user run content like the IRC channel and podcasts such as the user acclaimed Bomb Should Have A Face and the Broken Lampcast. Join in a Game Night sometime because it's the best way to get to know the Community and have a lot of fun at the same time. If you want to get your own business on the thread or if you just have a suggestion for improving the thread, PM me and I might magically put it in the thread!

Features

Giant Bomb IRC

• Hop into the Giant Bomb IRC to talk with fellow users about games and other things people talk about in real life! If you're using Firefox as a browser, download Chatzilla. If not, then download mIRC! Then, click on the link to chat with Giant Bomb.

Giant Bomb Twitter

• If you guys want to keep in touch with Giantbombers off of the site and you have a twitter account, Follow GiantBombSquad, the Giant Bomb Community Feed. The main goal of this account is to unite fellow users and connect you to their feeds. If you follow, others will follow you back! You can also find some user Twitter accounts here.

Giant Bomb Steam Group

Game Nights/Bombing Runs

• Thordain is organizing a PC TF2 bombing run on March 28th. Check it out HERE! and leave your Steam details.

• Gambit is organizing a tournament for Street Fighter IV on X360 on March 29th at 5PM CST. You can sign up HERE.

User-Created Podcasts

Podcast Name

Cast Members

Most Recent Episode

Subscribe on iTunes

RSS Feed

Bomb Should Have a Face

MattBodega, tokyochicken, Jensonb
Episode 24: Jensonb is Still a Threat
Subscribe to BSHAF on iTunesRSS Feed
Distributed Failure

Kush, Hendersonman, Azraeltrigger

DF #50: Fear 2 Cry eHarmony
Subscribe to DF on iTunesRSS Feed
BEAT.British

BinaryDragon + other non GB users

BEAT.British 47: We Take a Path
Subscribe to B.B on iTunesRSS Feed
Broken Lampcast

MaSuTa, Jastaz + his brother, Dave

Broken Lampcast, from March 15th, 2009
Subscribe to BLC on iTunesRSS Feed

Recent Updates!

• March 27: A new episodeof Distributed Failure is up for your listening displeasure.
  • March 27: A new episode of BEAT.British is now up for your listening pleasure.
  • March 27: New "Featured User Review" on the front page! - SunKing's review of The Path.
  • March 23: A new episode of BSHAF is up for your listening pleasure.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

Great job.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

WHAT'S GOING ON?!  THIS...THIS IS MADNESS!!!

*insert Leonidas here*

Come on, stop changing everything!!!  lol  You're confusing my already pea-sized mind!
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Systech
jakob187 said:
"WHAT'S GOING ON?!  THIS...THIS IS MADNESS!!!
*insert Leonidas here*

Come on, stop changing everything!!!  lol  You're confusing my already pea-sized mind!
"
My time is being spent here is making things as good as they can be.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

No Caption Provided
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Hamz

Nice work, a few minor things to sort but otherwise its come along well. I think a little pat on the back is in order for systech from the rest of the community ;)

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kush

Looking at the post now...it seems more like a podcast spotlight with other things thrown in. The podcasts take up so much room.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike
Kush said:
"Looking at the post now...it seems more like a podcast spotlight with other things thrown in. The podcasts take up so much room."

The podcasts section looks longer because of the way the bullet points are set up.   It just needs some formatting help and editing.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Systech
MB said:
"Kush said:
"Looking at the post now...it seems more like a podcast spotlight with other things thrown in. The podcasts take up so much room."

The podcasts section looks longer because of the way the bullet points are set up.   It just needs some formatting help and editing."
Hopefully, I fixed it a little. In the meantime, we can figure out a better way to show them off that makes things even easier.
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Coltonio7

Gragh! New pages...

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By brukaoru

Personally, I prefer the updates and game nights to be on top, followed by the Features and Podcasts. I think a table of the podcasts would also take up less room and look neater. Still, a better layout than before. Good work Systech!

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By albedos_shadow

SO MANY CHANGES! But seriously, good job.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Guess the community is no longer a threat =(

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kush
brukaoru said:
"Personally, I prefer the updates and game nights to be on top, followed by the Features and Podcasts. I think a table of the podcasts would also take up less room and look neater. Still, a better layout than before. Good work Systech!"
I actually think that this may be a very good idea and would definitely save room. It would also make every podcast feel equal since they would all be right next to each other.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kush
SuperMooseman said:
"It's all very well listing podcasts, but this is meant to be a GiantBomb community thread. I don't think any of those podcasts - except BSHAF - are actually about GiantBomb, and so I don't think there is any need for them to be listed... anyone agree?"
The thread is meant to be about great content created by the users of GB, not just something that only relates to GB. Also, BSHAF in its current form is much more of an IRC podcast than a full blown GB bombcast, but that is just my personal opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kush said:
"SuperMooseman said:
"It's all very well listing podcasts, but this is meant to be a GiantBomb community thread. I don't think any of those podcasts - except BSHAF - are actually about GiantBomb, and so I don't think there is any need for them to be listed... anyone agree?"
The thread is meant to be about great content created by the users of GB, not just something that only relates to GB. Also, BSHAF in its current form is much more of an IRC podcast than a full blown GB bombcast, but that is just my personal opinion."
Good then I can announce it here.
Expect the official <Default Controls> podcast to launch soon.
Soon = next 6 months
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru

The list of podcasts definitely look better in that table. Very nice. :)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Snail

So the community is no longer a threat?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fr0br0
Gorillawhat said:
"Guess the community is no longer a threat =("
Snail said:
"So the community is no longer a threat?"
Beaten to the punch...
NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NinjaSquirrel

Very nice, very nice.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By ThomasP

That looks much better. Great job Systech.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Snail

WE ARE STILL A THREAT!

Wake up people!
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Lies

Dude, that table is PRO.

Fucking hate those things. Never work the way I want them to.

If you can work it in without destroying the formatting, you should add which users do what casts- I know it was in here before, and it's nice to know.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jayge_
Kush said:
"SuperMooseman said:
The thread is meant to be about great content created by the users of GB, not just something that only relates to GB. Also, BSHAF in its current form is much more of an IRC podcast than a full blown GB bombcast, but that is just my personal opinion."
Frequent guests and inside jokes aside, BSHAF is very much dedicated to bringing up and talking about all aspects of the community. Even if there is a large correlation between the most active members of the community and IRC dwellers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jayge said:
"Kush said:
"SuperMooseman said:
Frequent guests and inside jokes aside, BSHAF is very much dedicated to bringing up and talking about all aspects of the community. Even if there is a large correlation between the most active members of the community and IRC dwellers."
Holy shit! I just realized your avatar is Spongebob but fucked up like my grandma.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mike
Jayge said:
"Kush said:
"SuperMooseman said:
Frequent guests and inside jokes aside, BSHAF is very much dedicated to bringing up and talking about all aspects of the community. Even if there is a large correlation between the most active members of the community and IRC dwellers."
Not really.  IRC is but a small subset of the userbase and not really a good representation of it's makeup, nor do they represent everyone.  We're trying to get away from this mistaken impression that IRC folks are "the" community.  When it comes down to it, there are maybe 20 or so regularly active members that chat in IRC - that is nothing compared to how many users are active on the forums every day, or who may be actively commenting on articles or editing the wiki all the time. 

To further illustrate my point, take a quick glance at the most recent 50 topics on the forums and tell me how many IRC folks names' you see.  Probably not very many.  In fact, IRC seems to appeal to people that don't like message boards that much - I know that a great deal of the IRC rarely, if ever, posts on the forums.  They prefer chatting, which is totally cool, but please don't make the mistake of calling those people "the community", it's really a disservice to the hundreds and thousands of other users who are dedicated to this site, yet couldn't be less interested in IRC.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Jensonb

-Checks-

I think this is a topic about community stuff, and not a debate about the merits of the IRC, guys.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#28  Edited By JackiJinx
MB said:
Statements on IRC.
They, those people...I'm sorry, but talking like that just makes me feel like you don't think I'm part of GB at all.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By Claude

Thanks Systech, because of this post, I am now a member of the Giantbomb Steam Group and looking forward to an official Giantbomb TF2 server.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jayge_
MB said:
"To further illustrate my point, take a quick glance at the most recent 50 topics on the forums and tell me how many IRC folks names' you see.  Probably not very many.  In fact, IRC seems to appeal to people that don't like message boards that much - I know that a great deal of the IRC rarely, if ever, posts on the forums.  They prefer chatting, which is totally cool, but please don't make the mistake of calling those people "the community", it's really a disservice to the hundreds and thousands of other users who are dedicated to this site, yet couldn't be less interested in IRC."
Whether or not the majority of the IRC users are active forum posters or not, there is a perceptible correlation between the MOST active community members and the unofficial IRC. The majority of the Bombing Runs are organized by people active on both the forums and the IRC. The one podcast that does focus mainly on all things community-related has all of its active hosts also participating in the IRC. The author of this thread is a very active member of the IRC. 3 of the 4 podcasts listed in that table contain hosts who are active community members (one moderator) who are also active in the IRC. The active administrators of the Steam group also take part regularly in the IRC. I'm not saying that the IRC is "the" community. Let me explain in more detail, since you seem to have missed my point entirely.

Although I do not like post counts, I *am* one of the most active posters on these forums. I know better than most people how many users contribute actively to all aspects of the site. What I am saying is that labelling something like the Bomb Should Have A Face podcast an "IRC podcast" simply because they tend to feature content that is generated by members of the IRC, is wrong. Nobody is saying that the people in the IRC are better or more active users than those who choose not to partake in it. The fact of the matter is that a fair concentration of users who enjoy focusing on the more organized community participation aspects of the website tend to gravitate towards other people who enjoy the same things, and that they ARE in the IRC. Because of this, they tend to generate content that the BSHAF hosts report on more often. You prefer that the IRC not be referenced as "the community" or whatever else, which I agree with, but please don't make the mistake of discounting the relative achievements of those who are active in the IRC, simply because they are not what you consider to be a good representation of active community members. It's a disservice to the hard-working members of the BSHAF podcast, and others who work very hard on this website.
LAMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By LAMP
SuperMooseman said:
I've never been the one to exclude the forums from my podcast. It's just that my attempts got rebuffed, so I stopped dealing with it. Before we do skypecasts, I intend to put up some kind of thread about the Broken Lampcast on the forums to serve as a base introduction, and see if that gets rebuffed as well. Although I do see your point, I'd challenge you to show me/make a podcast exclusively about this website, and see what purpose it would serve. 

Speaking for the BLC, we at least serve some kind of practical purpose, of being a hybrid of game criticism and concept discussion, and I say that is a great deal more informative, constructive, and interesting than discussing forum posts you saw, or user reviews you disagree with. At that point, you're spending time expressing ideas other people have already gotten to, and that's a rather dull way to spend time, both yours and someone elses.

However, your point still stands. I don't really post on the forums that much, and my cohosts don't at all. Nonetheless, I am a part of Giant Bomb's community, and that shouldn't be invalidated by the fact that my post count is maybe double digits (I don't even know right now). Therefore, I petition that my podcast remain in the thread for now. I'll have some introduction thread in the near future, probably before the next episode goes up.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jensonb
MaSuTa said:
Speaking for the BLC, we at least serve some kind of practical purpose, of being a hybrid of game criticism and concept discussion, and I say that is a great deal more informative, constructive, and interesting than discussing forum posts you saw, or user reviews you disagree with. At that point, you're spending time expressing ideas other people have already gotten to, and that's a rather dull way to spend time, both yours and someone elses.
Dude...I know you're not talking about the BSHAF. Cos otherwise I'ma have to rip you a new one, son.

It's on bro...It's on
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By brukaoru
MaSuTa said:
"SuperMooseman said:
However, your point still stands. I don't really post on the forums that much, and my cohosts don't at all. Nonetheless, I am a part of Giant Bomb's community, and that shouldn't be invalidated by the fact that my post count is maybe double digits (I don't even know right now). Therefore, I petition that my podcast remain in the thread for now. I'll have some introduction thread in the near future, probably before the next episode goes up."
I whole-heartedly agree that a person in the GiantBomb community should be not be judged on how often they post on the forums or how many post counts they have. Many people read the forums over and simply don't have anything to say, but like to read other's comments. Not to mention that GiantBomb is not solely about the forums. I also think it's a bit ridiculous to say podcasts that only revolve around GiantBomb should be included in this list. People who are apart of GiantBomb and have game-related content outside of the website should be allowed free plugs.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mike
brukaoru said:
 People who are apart of GiantBomb and have game-related content outside of the website should be allowed free plugs.

Absolutely - and as far as I'm concerned, this is the way it's going to stay.
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By serbsta
MB said:
"Jayge said:
"Kush said:
"SuperMooseman said:
Not really.  IRC is but a small subset of the userbase and not really a good representation of it's makeup, nor do they represent everyone.  We're trying to get away from this mistaken impression that IRC folks are "the" community.  When it comes down to it, there are maybe 20 or so regularly active members that chat in IRC - that is nothing compared to how many users are active on the forums every day, or who may be actively commenting on articles or editing the wiki all the time. 

To further illustrate my point, take a quick glance at the most recent 50 topics on the forums and tell me how many IRC folks names' you see.  Probably not very many.  In fact, IRC seems to appeal to people that don't like message boards that much - I know that a great deal of the IRC rarely, if ever, posts on the forums.  They prefer chatting, which is totally cool, but please don't make the mistake of calling those people "the community", it's really a disservice to the hundreds and thousands of other users who are dedicated to this site, yet couldn't be less interested in IRC."
Thanks for speaking my mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Conclusion, if you would like to feel better about the BSHAF, go join the IRC!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rowr
lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lamegame621

same here

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zebadee

Thanks for sticking me up there systech!

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jensonb
serbsta said:
"MB said:
"Jayge said:
"Kush said:
"SuperMooseman said:

To further illustrate my point, take a quick glance at the most recent 50 topics on the forums and tell me how many IRC folks names' you see.  Probably not very many.  In fact, IRC seems to appeal to people that don't like message boards that much - I know that a great deal of the IRC rarely, if ever, posts on the forums.  They prefer chatting, which is totally cool, but please don't make the mistake of calling those people "the community", it's really a disservice to the hundreds and thousands of other users who are dedicated to this site, yet couldn't be less interested in IRC."
Thanks for speaking my mind."
It is important to stress we have taken steps to address this complaint. As such, let's try and keep this thread about all the great things in the community, and not about the relative importance of various subsets of user groups.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cheapoz

Needs more Australian GB podcasts, who's with me.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kush
Cheapoz said:
"Needs more Australian GB podcasts, who's with me."
THIS here podcast is brand new and features an Australian! ...as well as a vagina!
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rowr
Kush said:
"Cheapoz said:
THIS here podcast is brand new and features an Australian! ...as well as a vagina!"
Calling Wallace a vagina is not cool man.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jayge_
Rowr said:
"Kush said:
"Cheapoz said:
THIS here podcast is brand new and features an Australian! ...as well as a vagina!"
Calling Wallace a vagina is not cool man."
Who are you kidding, he loves it. Have you guys named it yet?
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rowr
Jayge said:
"Rowr said:
"Kush said:
"Cheapoz said:
Who are you kidding, he loves it. Have you guys named it yet?"
Nope, head to the thread and leave your wacky suggestions. We will probably go through them on the show next week.
Avatar image for wallacethegreat
WallacetheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By WallacetheGreat
Jayge said:
"Rowr said:
"Kush said:
"Cheapoz said:
Who are you kidding, he loves it. Have you guys named it yet?"
It is true, I love being called a vagina. Sometimes I call myself a vagoo just to raise my self-esteem. As for the podcast name, I was think of something like the Segmentationcast or the Weretryingtobreakupthecommunitycast. On second thought, maybe those names are too long...
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Otacon

Community is still a threat was funny at the time, this thread should be just as good!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48  Edited By RHCPfan24

Cool, another update. KEEP IT UP!

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By daniel_beck_90
Claude said:
"

No Caption Provided
"
  I am loving this photo, It is freaking amazing
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kush

And just like that...The spotlight has been updated. Fresh new bulb for your blinding pleasure!