• 78 results
Posted by ZombiePie (5731 posts) -
Here's to Thinking About You Ryan, Forever and Always.

Hello everyone and welcome. As you most likely already know now Ryan has passed away earlier this week. Many of you and the staff are still struggling to deal with this news, and there's nothing that I can say or do to stop this grief. In light of this unfortunate news the Spotlight is going to be amended as a tribute to Ryan in order to showcase the words, videos, and works of art that you have all produced to honor and dedicate to Ryan. For those of you that wrote gaming related blogs, review, or lists; the Spotlight will be back next week in its original format. Also, a separate reporting/linking thread will be created next week for all of you to bring anything that you have written or made on the site to my attention for the next Spotlight.

Now I want to thank all of you. What you, as a community, have created in this short amount of time is nothing short of amazing. You talked about crying, laughing, and struggling in relation to Ryan's death These are all important things to feel. The sheer number of blogs further proves how we are and always will be a community. I wont speculate on what Ryan would want you to do, but I will say this. It was great to see so many of you write, draw, edit, and channel your abilities to honor someone that was truly important to you. It is that sort of creativity, humor, and dedication that will help make this a better world to live in. Find comfort in this, and as Matt Rorie pointed out hug your friends and family...and maybe pour a bottle of water on their head to show that you love them even more. With that here's the Ryan Davis Community Spotlight!

Tributes and Dedications From Friends of the Site

The Ryan Davis Memorial Galleria of Art

Words Tributes from the Community

Community Memorial Efforts

Community Memorial Meetups

Videos Tributes From the Web

Author's Note: It goes without saying that this Spotlight is not complete. With over 200 requests of blogs, images, and videos there is still more to come for this Spotlight. However, due to a bought of hunger and tiredness I elected to publish the Spotlight prematurely with the intention of adding more to it another time. If I missed you just drop a comment and I'll get you on here immediately. Oh God...I have all of the user Tumblrs to put on this........

#1 Posted by Fobwashed (2166 posts) -

I believe Giant Bomb has the best goddamn community on the internet and I don't believe for a second that a community like this just happens on its own. It's a direct result of the people who run this site. They're not just faceless by lines who provide us content, but friends who show us how we should act towards each other by example. This community was purpousfully grown into something goddamn special and I'm proud to be a part of it. Much love to everyone here and a huge thank you to everyone that made this community possible. Especially to Ryan Davis. We're all gonna miss you like crazy =(

#2 Posted by allgrinzz (162 posts) -

Oh this is just amazing.. time to break down all over again repeatedly. I <3 you all, even those I don't know. <3 the Bomb, the Crew, everyone.

Miss you Boss.

Baller Time forever.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (15097 posts) -

The best part of this is watching Zombiepie have a breakdown over this. xD

#4 Posted by PrioritySeven (323 posts) -

You're the best, Ryan. We'll miss you always.

#5 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

You guys are the bomb

#6 Posted by ZombiePie (5731 posts) -

This is what happened when I realized I saved all of the images as BMPs and not JPEGs or PNGs...twice:

#7 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1627 posts) -

Ryan will always live on in our hearts, and the huge, positive impact he left on our lives.

#8 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6341 posts) -

Zombie, that is just amazing work compiling all this. Thank you, good sir.

#9 Edited by twbillings (5 posts) -

I am usually silent, I am almost the same age as Ryan. I worked at a game store (have since moved on) when Ryan started posting at Gamespot. I cannot believe he is gone for multiple reasons, but I feel like life has forever changed for me. I laughed a lot, not I am making up for it by crying. My thoughts are with his wife, family, and friends. This world is less without him. In the words of John Donne, "

No man is an island,

Entire of itself,

Every man is a piece of the continent,

A part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less.

As well as if a promontory were.

As well as if a manor of thy friend's

Or of thine own were:

Any man's death diminishes me,

Because I am involved in mankind,

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;

It tolls for thee."

#10 Edited by Fobwashed (2166 posts) -

@zombiepie said:

@demoskinos said:

This is what happened when I realized I saved all of the images as BMPs and not JPEGs or PNGs...twice:

I didn't even realize the site doesn't accept BMPs. I just never used them because they're huge and PNGs are already lossless. The more you know.

Also, the Thank you for being a Friend video is perfect T-T

#11 Edited by TruthTellah (9398 posts) -

Awesome work, everyone! I know that all of this is helping me cope, and I imagine it is helping many other people here as well.

On a side note, who made the other Macbook Air and sad dog image? Me and you, man. We're assholes. ha. :)

#12 Edited by TruthTellah (9398 posts) -

Oh, and @zombiepie, couldn't you just open each image file in Paint and Save as a Jpg? I don't understand why you had to search for them again.

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work!

#13 Posted by ZombiePie (5731 posts) -

Oh, and @zombiepie, couldn't you just open each image file in Paint and Save as a Jpg? I don't understand why you had to search for them again.

I had all of tabs still there, and I was already broken and making bad decisions.

#14 Posted by amlabella (329 posts) -

Thanks for compiling all this, seeing the amazing tributes from the Giant Bomb community has been truly uplifting.

#15 Posted by c_rakestraw (854 posts) -

Incredible work, all. Still astounds me how the community came together in this tragic time. This place is amazing.

On a side note, who made the other Macbook Air and sad dog image? Me and you, man. We're assholes. ha. :)

Ryan would approve, I'm sure.

#16 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

No human being, alive or dead, should ever have to use MS Paint. Mods deserve a budget. :p Failing that: irfanview.com

Lots of delightful art. More people should sign their work though!

#17 Edited by StarFoxA (5162 posts) -

This just fortifies my belief that Giant Bomb has the greatest community... ever.

#18 Posted by jking47 (1244 posts) -

Bookmarking this page for later viewing. Thanks for gathering it all in one place.

#19 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

:)

#20 Posted by ZombiePie (5731 posts) -

No human being, alive or dead, should ever have to use MS Paint. Mods deserve a budget. :p Failing that: irfanview.com

I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager 2010 thank you very much.

#21 Edited by TruthTellah (9398 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

I had all of tabs still there, and I was already broken and making bad decisions.

Ahh. Okay. Well, at least you still had the tabs open. :)

#22 Edited by FinalDasa (1973 posts) -

Thanks ZombiePie, you're pretty awesome.

Moderator Online
#23 Edited by Itwongo (1233 posts) -

Thanks for putting these all in one place, much appreciated. But I'm gettin' on your case 'cuz I don't see mine :P

#24 Posted by Landmine (527 posts) -

@zombiepie Thanks for putting this together.

RIP Ryan, we love you.

#25 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

@zombiepie said:

I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager 2010 thank you very much.

Discontinued14.0.6123.5001 (SP1) / June 28, 2011; 2 years ago

I will buy you a copy of something better myself if I need to. Paint Shop Pro... Kai's Power Tools... ACDSee... anything... O_o It's for your health. Don't skimp.

#26 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Nachoboss will live in our hearts FOR EVER. UH UH UH UH UH

#27 Posted by Reisz (1522 posts) -

Holy shit guys, we're some of the nicest people around. I'm sorry Ryan missed this one, he would have been proud.

#28 Posted by Borp (105 posts) -

I'll always love and never forget Ryan, i'll always love this community.

#29 Edited by benbennibenben (7 posts) -

If you like to add it, I made a memorial gif as well:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2765895/RyanDavis_HowIRemember.gif

#30 Edited by notsonic (214 posts) -

All this is so great.

#31 Posted by Turkalurch (198 posts) -

Wow this community is so awesome! And @ZombiePie thank you for consolidating all of this.

#32 Edited by Graham_Nix (108 posts) -

Awesome collection

Dave Lang also wrote a tribute: http://josephjbroni.tumblr.com/post/54977452031/about-ryan

#33 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1153 posts) -

Oh man, that Star Wars tribute was perfect.

#34 Posted by joebillmatt (26 posts) -

Arthur Geis wrote something too http://pragmagic.tumblr.com/post/54951291701/goodbye-ryan

#35 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2563 posts) -

I made a blog about it that got no response. Linkity Link

Man, seeing what some of these people are doing for Ryan is incredible and inspiring. You talented bastards.

#36 Posted by Slag (4727 posts) -

@zombiepie

You are one of the best things about this community, Zombiepie. Week in/week out you are constantly supporting the community.

This one had to take an insane amount of time to put together and yet you did it, Great work as always duder.

#37 Posted by kagato (950 posts) -

The outpourng of just overwhelming positivity both in comments and in images, GIFs etc is just amazing! I was a total wreck last week when this all came out, even up until Tuesday i couldnt talk about Ryan without bursting into tears which was awkward at work but a good number of my colleagues also follow Giantbomb so it was fine. Everyone talking about him, putting up tribute videos, images, threads like this has helped a lot, the Bombcast and video the GB guys put up also helped, im not even close to 100% but i can feel myself beginning to cope with it a bit better.

I just really feel for the guys in the office right now, as someone who has gone through something similar to this with someone i worked with (well she killed herself so not quite the same) i do completely understand how difficult this will all be. Life can be a cruel and twisted thing sometimes, im thankfull that Ryan didnt suffer, that his short time here with us was enjoyable for him and that he not only made friends with some of the best people you could ever meet, he married and was able to enjoy that time with his friends and family. He had a pretty good life filled with some excellent people and im sure his only regret would be not getting to spend more time with everyone.

#38 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

I haven't seen the spotlight full like this in like... ever! Quite awesome really because it's mostly for Ryan. =-)

#39 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

<>

#40 Posted by TheHT (11674 posts) -

Look at all that stuff. LOOK AT IT!

Amazing.

#41 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -

Thank you, @zombiepie and to everyone who contributed to this. You guys are all great :D

#42 Posted by Dalai (7056 posts) -

The Community Spotlight is still a threat!

And get some rest for Christ's sake, @zombiepie!

#43 Posted by AndyMP (227 posts) -
#44 Posted by Dixavd (1367 posts) -

I made a blog post for Ryan, but it's not that important (I made it public more as a personal reason so as to know I Have to stick to the words I said). It's not a big deal so don't waste your energy adding it if it's a hassle.

Thanks to everyone who made these. It might take me a couple months, but I'll be damned if I don't read all of them.

#45 Posted by jiggajoe14 (790 posts) -

Excellent work sir.

#46 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

Great work everyone!

#47 Posted by wrecks (2304 posts) -

Holy awesome! Thanks @zombiepie. This community is just the coolest.

#48 Posted by Bakumatsu (372 posts) -

@zombiepie: Man this is great. Thank you. I've also created a thread in which I say what I feel about Ryan's passing. If you could add it to the list I appreciate it. It's this one here. Thank you.

#49 Posted by Fattony12000 (7589 posts) -

Thanks for featuring my rich text and audiovisual 2.0 content on this selected webzone partner network.

I played about 15 hours of Civ V for ya @ryan, it's still worth each of those five stars that you gave it!

The followers of my religion are called Taswellians. So there's that.

#50 Posted by medacris (669 posts) -

I'm proud to see my artwork here with all these really awesome, talented artists, some of which I recognize from Tumblr. I'm trying to read as many of the blog posts as I can, as well. I may never have met Ryan, but through the podcast, many, many videos, and through the stories of other people here, I feel like he used to be sitting on the couch right next to me as we played games together. Keep up the amazing work, Bomb Community.