#1 Edited by FlamingHobo (4512 posts) -

EDIT: Also mention atmospheres which made you feel creeped out, disturbed, scared etc.

For me, it would be the atmosphere at the beginning of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. I genuninely felt uneased
by the look and tone of the townspeople and since I had no way of defending myself I was quite worried for the safety of my character.

Lay Off The Crack.

#2 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

I don't think I've ever been scared by a game, but Bioshock is very atmospheric

#3 Posted by The_A_Drain (3973 posts) -

A whole bunch of things in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Also many many things in point and click adventure games.

And the closet scene in Project Zero/Fatal Frame 3. That scarred me for life.

#4 Posted by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -

I also think that Call Of Cthulhu is scary as hell.
I thought the craziest part was when you were running through the motel rooms, locking the doors behind you, trying to get away from two maniacs.

#5 Posted by The_A_Drain (3973 posts) -
@Redbullet685:

Yeah those guys are screwed up.
#6 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -

Dead Space.

#7 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

Pretty much all of silent hill as a series. Silent Hill 2 for sure. 

#8 Posted by FlamingHobo (4512 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:
" I also think that Call Of Cthulhu is scary as hell.I thought the craziest part was when you were running through the motel rooms, locking the doors behind you, trying to get away from two maniacs. "
There were three. I also agree that, that part is the craziest and most adrenalising moment of the game.
#9 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

The entirety of Silent Hill 1,2 and 3, although 2 takes the cake. These games get into your brain and... do stuff.

#10 Posted by spiredcrescent (189 posts) -

Getting attacked by dogs in resident evil.  so much wasted ammo

#11 Posted by Sick_Sick_Sick (91 posts) -

1st refrigerator is resident evil 4 took me few try's until i realized you can not kill that thing

#12 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

the slug creatures in re4

#13 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

Have to agree with dead space, but other than that can't really think of much. It didn't really scare me per say, but the revelation of the spanish in Uncharted was quite shocking and afterwards the music and atmosphere was quite creepy.

#14 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -
#15 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -

Every single moment of Fatal Frame II. There was literally only one place in that game where I felt safe, and it was a small cave under an old tree(near a graveyard), illuminated by candles. Once I had reached that place(I believe it's close to the game's end), I said to myself: "There's no way in hell I'm going back into that freaky village", stopped playing, and never finished the game.

Oh, and the giant ants in Fallout 3. I'm not good with insects, and those ants(especially the sounds they made) made me petrified. Seriously, I couldn't move -- at one point, I had to pause the game and reload an earlier save.
#16 Edited by ValkyrieGoddess (1922 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" Every single moment of Fatal Frame II. There was literally only one place in that game where I felt safe, and it was a small cave under an old tree(near a graveyard), illuminated by candles. Once I had reached that place(I believe it's close to the game's end), I said to myself: "There's no way in hell I'm going back into that freaky village", stopped playing, and never finished the game.

Oh, and the giant ants in Fallout 3. I'm not good with insects, and those ants(especially the sounds they made) made me petrified. Seriously, I couldn't move -- at one point, I had to pause the game and reload an earlier save.
"
Yeah the Fatal Frame games just creeped me out so bad that i couldn't finish them either.
#17 Posted by Satune (477 posts) -

The first time you see one of those naked monsters in Penumbra: Black Plague. I was scared shitless, cause you just finished turning off the power, everything dark, and you stuck in a small office room, and you know its comming, all you can to is hide behind the desk as it walks around, saying crazy stuff in a scary ass voice.  I really hated those things in that game, every time you see one all you can to is hide, cause you cant kill them.

#18 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i thought the scene in mgs4 when the soldiers start beating the shit out of eachother because of mind control was disturbing as hell

#19 Posted by PlasticCow (114 posts) -

Bioshock had some good moments. I mostly found that scary because it was the first game I had played that was even remotely like horror. -.- It wore off after the first 2 hours though.

#20 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -

I don't tend to get horror games through fear of being scared, but one game I did get, which everyone says is scary was Dead Space and I didn't find that scary not one bit.

#21 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Escape From Bug Island

*shivers*

#22 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

crimson heads in remake D: and nemesis in re3, when you find the first licker in re2. D:

#23 Posted by hamlaser (230 posts) -

The most disturbing thing I encountered were the children dying in Prey. The creepiest thing was probably the creatures in silent hill. The scariest thing was the face huggers in AVP2 when they are just *BAM* on your face.

#24 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

The mannequins in Condemned are the most terrifying things I have ever encountered in a video game. The mannequins in Condemned 2 however made me facepalm so hard, my brain came out of my ears like Play-Doh.

#25 Edited by The_A_Drain (3973 posts) -
@hamlaser:

Which version of Silent Hill?

Those things in the western version didn't scare me half as much as those FREAKS in the japanese demo o_o *hides* They had to change it because it wouldn't go down well in the west.

The NTSC version has some of the children style enemies removed and altered, although apparently they are still present later on in the game. Whereas the PAL version has them removed completely and replaced with some headless claw thing, apart from right at the end of the game, although those ones are invisible (well, very difficult to see anyway)

In the Japanese version however, they are naked babies with knives.
#26 Posted by Bertmasta (173 posts) -

Tai exiting from torture in gears 2

#27 Posted by Bigvic785 (120 posts) -

End of Super Mario Galaxy...

#28 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

The Dark Eye.
Edgar Allen Poe based game on PC (1996).
That game was pretty disturbing.

#29 Edited by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I would have to say one of the endings in Drakengard. The giant babies falling from the sky. Wow, creepy feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VVqUduMeZ0&feature=player_embedded

This is the only video I can find. And GiantBomb should have embedded videos on the site.

#30 Posted by The_A_Drain (3973 posts) -

Oh I totally forgot Darkseed. That game is freaky. With art by HR Giger too.

#31 Posted by evanbrau (1162 posts) -

There are quite a few. The first time one of The Many sneaks up behind you in System Shock Two and shouts "Look out!" or "Kill me!" is pretty bad. That game probably qualifies for creepiest, scariest and most disturbing thing in a game multiple times, a true horror classic.

Setting a zombie on fire in Half Life 2 is quite disturbing because its pretty obvious the person who has been infected is still alive enough to feel pain.

The Oceanside Hotel in Bloodlines is pretty scary as is Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3.

#32 Posted by Mikemcn (7023 posts) -

I was disturbed when i had to shoot the crying dude in the dark house in COD4, he was freaking out! I felt sorry for the little terrorist

#33 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

I was completely freaked out when I saw that Enter Sandman by Metallica in Rock Band was not in the Nightmare Songslist.

Course, nothing can beat internet chatting with my friends girlfriend. I said to her that from the fusion possibilities in Persona 4, you will do these things to your boyfriend. She said yes.

She chose Alice. First time I saw her.

Die For Me.

Completely freaked out. All of us.

#34 Posted by hamlaser (230 posts) -
@The_A_Drain: holy crap, thats even more messed up. I played SH2 when it showed up on gametap. I stopped playing really early in the game because I couldn't handle that stuff. Its something about not having the weapons load out (ak74-su, chest righ with 9 mags, m67 frag grenades, glock 18 with hollow points. Or alteast going to the nearest sporting goods store and loading up with as much stuff as I can) I would want and being surrounded with creepy monsters that keeps me from wanting to go any further. Naked babies with knives *shiver*
#35 Posted by The_A_Drain (3973 posts) -
@hamlaser:

Yeah it's way freakier than those  re-skinned versions with weird shaped heads (the grey dudes) or the claw things with no heads at all.

I also forgot Clock Tower, that game is so scary, the first time I met Scissorman I was so scared I literally screamed and looked away, I was so scared I couldnt even turn the console off lol. But I was like 11 or something at the time.
#36 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

Silent Hill 2, when Pyramid Head is raping the mannequin. Actually, everything related to Pyramid Head. Like when you see him for the first time and he just stares at you from behind that gate. Why is he just standing there?!

#37 Edited by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
"And GiantBomb should have embedded videos on the site. "
You can. I think.

Yep. Click the Edit HTML Code button and insert the embed thing.
#38 Posted by spankingaddict (2740 posts) -

probably in resident evil 3, every time nemesis is chasing you.  ooo and those silent hill games are pretty freaky too

#39 Edited by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@clubsandwich said:
" crimson heads in remake D: and nemesis in re3, when you find the first licker in re2. D: "
oh, I forgot this too, it scared me for life. D:

scare

#40 Posted by grawly (63 posts) -

You know when in Resident Evil 5 when they force feed that guy that weird heart-shaped thing? Yeah.

#41 Posted by gs4u_ (10 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:
"I also think that Call Of Cthulhu is scary as hell.I thought the craziest part was when you were running through the motel rooms, locking the doors behind you, trying to get away from two maniacs."

Indeed. the ship was extremely uncomfortable.
#42 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

Probably the creepiest were these custom modules in Neverwinter Nights where you played a guy who was turning evil & had to do all of these evil things in order to become an Anti-Paladin.  I'll leave some of the twisted tasks you had to do to your own imagination.

#43 Edited by JerkFace (119 posts) -
@angelkanarias: Yes.  This.

Dead Space is great because while it's not always terrifying, it never lets the tension down.  You aren't having 'fun' when you're playing it, per se; but it's a thrilling, edge of your seat feeling that lasts the whole way through.

Another great and creepy atmosphere is in Fallout 3's Point Lookout.  The whole thing just has this creepy Deliverance-esque vibe that really did it for me.  Just hearing the deformed swamp folk shouting curses at me through the moss-covered trees really creeped me out at times.
#44 Posted by FlamingHobo (4512 posts) -
@clubsandwich said:
" @clubsandwich said:
" crimson heads in remake D: and nemesis in re3, when you find the first licker in re2. D: "
oh, I forgot this too, it scared me for life. D:

scare
"
This creeped the hell out of me:

#45 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

Fatal Frame.  The entire game freaked me out more than anything before and I was never able to finish it. 

I'm tougher now though and so if I ever find a copy again I'll take it down to chinatown.

#46 Posted by BlameTheGame (75 posts) -

One part in Silent Hill 3, don't remember which part but you were locked in some place.. and the walls.. well the walls were scary, play it now. Oh and F.E.A.R, the bad first one with the horrible load times. That game was creepy for me, seeing as the only time I had to play it was at midnight till' dawn. 

#47 Posted by NukeSpoon (530 posts) -

Nightmare in Max Payne

D: