The Daily Commute: Ninjatown

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Curse you, flying devils! I didn't build enough forest ninjas.
Almost since the first of the month--around the time we started back to work after the holidays--I've been playing Ninjatown on a pretty much daily basis.

I'd heard that the game was basically just another tower defense knock-off, and...well, yeah, it is. I thought Pixeljunk Monsters was the last one of those games I needed to play, but at roughly 70% of the way through Ninjatown, the game is still throwing new unit types, mechanics, and interesting uses of the mic and touch screen at me. The character designs and special powers are all cleverly designed and charming. Heck, it's good enough that it got me to stop playing Chrono Trigger (temporarily, I hope). Sounds like it warrants a review, huh.

Plus, and perhaps most importantly, each mission--if I'm playing well--is just about exactly the length of my daily bus ride to work and back. It's been such a reliable bite-size time killer, I'm going to be sad when I get through the last few levels. And I suspect the lack of an in-game mission editor or at least a random level generator will be suddenly more conspicuous at that time.

This is the first time in a while that I've really played a portable game when it was supposed to be played--that is, when I'm in transit to somewhere. According to this survey Kotaku reported on a few months ago, that's common; most people apparently use their portable game systems primarily in their own homes. But when I'm at home, I'd rather play a game on the big television. Which means for a while I just wasn't playing portable games...ever. And that's no good.

What games have been keeping you company on the bus or train lately? Where else do you play a handheld? Do you even manage to play portable games at all to fill in your downtime?
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
Almost since the first of the month--around the time we started back to work after the holidays--I've been playing Ninjatown on a pretty much daily basis.

I'd heard that the game was basically just another tower defense knock-off, and...well, yeah, it is. I thought Pixeljunk Monsters was the last one of those games I needed to play, but at roughly 70% of the way through Ninjatown, the game is still throwing new unit types, mechanics, and interesting uses of the mic and touch screen at me. The character designs and special powers are all cleverly designed and charming. Heck, it's good enough that it got me to stop playing Chrono Trigger (temporarily, I hope). Sounds like it warrants a review, huh.

Plus, and perhaps most importantly, each mission--if I'm playing well--is just about exactly the length of my daily bus ride to work and back. It's been such a reliable bite-size time killer, I'm going to be sad when I get through the last few levels. And I suspect the lack of an in-game mission editor or at least a random level generator will be suddenly more conspicuous at that time.

This is the first time in a while that I've really played a portable game when it was supposed to be played--that is, when I'm in transit to somewhere. According to this survey Kotaku reported on a few months ago, that's common; most people apparently use their portable game systems primarily in their own homes. But when I'm at home, I'd rather play a game on the big television. Which means for a while I just wasn't playing portable games...ever. And that's no good.

What games have been keeping you company on the bus or train lately? Where else do you play a handheld? Do you even manage to play portable games at all to fill in your downtime?
Avatar image for themikelguereca
TheMikelGuereca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By TheMikelGuereca

I have to make time for handheld gaming, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon with the plethora of games.

norton123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By norton123

I haven't played a portable game in a long time. There are too many great console games that I have yet to even start. I don't travel much so that even limits the times that warrant portable games. 

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By StarFoxA

I played the demo of Ninjatown from the Nintendo Channel, and I found it to be quite fun.

StarwindX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By StarwindX9

I still love my PSP, gotta love playing Star Ocean on the go.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoG

I play my DS plenty at home and whenever travelling with family or friends. I take the train to school every morning, so that would give me an hour both ways, but I don't take my DS. I usually read, because the only types I ever see playing games on the train aren't the types I want to be associated with. I'm horrible, I know.

norton123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By norton123

@BoG I completely agree. There's this stigma that comes with gaming that makes even those of us who arent complete nerds feel that way. Sure it's wrong to feel that way but its true.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By majormitch

I rarely play my DS "on the go", but I still love the portability of it. I'll take it to friends' or families' houses when I visit, or on vacation, or just wherever. Then when I have some time to kill at these places, I'll pull it out. In other words, I always play it in situations where I could theoretically play a big console, but the portability of handhelds allow me to always have it handy, without having to lug a console with me wherever I go.

But yeah, I still generally only play at home. Though I have played my DS while cooking before... might as well save the world while waiting for some damn rice to boil.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Systech

I am one of the few people on Giant Bomb who have played Ninja Town, and I must say that it is quite fantastic.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew

I have to figure out where I put my DS so I can play some more Princess Debut.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By trulyalive

I ride a moped to work so I've no reason for portable gaming.
When i held a temp job at a game store, i saw Ninja Town and it looked kinda trippy. heh.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By erinfizz

The majority of my DS playing is done at bedtime. Especially if I am going to bed earlier than normal, 10-15 minutes of puzzle or mini games helps me wind down.

Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zuul

I play my DS regularly on the bus to college.  Most of the time I play RPG's because they don't take coordination, and are easy to jump in and out at my stop. Just on the bus alone, I've played to completion Final Fantasy 4 (GBA), Final Fantasy 4 (DS), and I just finished Chrono Trigger (DS).  Chrono Trigger definately deserves another playthrough, but next I'm thinking Final Fantasy 3 (DS) or maybe Ninja Town :D

Avatar image for cleverloginname
CleverLoginName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CleverLoginName

Gaming system? I guess not but Fieldrunners and Enigmo for my iPod is fine for killing 20-30 minutes.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I brought my PSP with me to college, since the N64 is the only console properly built for a dorm. It's nice to play some Wipeout Pure or Burnout Legends during some downtime in my room or if I'm taking a bus somewhere.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Discorsi

You should also play Lock's Quest if you haven't already @.@.

TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TGB

Hmmmm, maybe I'll try it out. My DS seems to be my go to system these days. I guess that's the years and a hectic schedule catching up with me.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RenegadeSaint

I find myself playing my DS more often than my consoles, simply because it caters to shorter play sessions.  And it rarely leaves the house because I never ride the bus or train.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By albedos_shadow

I've actually been playing Ninjatown on the commute, too.

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By logson

If I can get a seat on the 38, CrossworDS is a fucking life-saver.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lashe

I recently re-bought myself a PSP for the train commute to Uni, where there is a backlog of thousands of games to keep m33 interested.

;].

MaddenedMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MaddenedMan

I have my DS next to the bed so that I can play Pokemon whilst listening to podcasts. It's a good thing to be doing with one side of my mind while paying attention to the conversation with the other half.

I've tried a couple of games, but for some reason Pokemon seems to be the most efficient. Might try Ninjatown with the latest Bombcast :D
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Endogene

It is a really good game but near the end it lost my interest, it might be really funny and it throws new units, powers, and enemies into the game as you progress but since the enemies always take the same patch it is not to hard to figure out how to place your houses. I think this is more me not liking the genre though the game itself is really cool.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Red

I have an hour and a half transit each weekday to school but for that I usually just listen to podcasts. I play DS and PSP games quite a bit when I'm traveling but when I'm just going around I usually won't play games. It's also kinda because the DS and PSP games that I play aren't really bit-sized, or they give me a headache during my bumpy bus ride; although, Ninjatown seems like a great game for my daily bus ride.

MasterTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MasterTom

Ey Brad...
might wanna check out Riff for the PSP
it's like Geometry Wars... but different.
and for just a couple of bucks... it's a no-brainer really.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS >>>>>>>>>>> PSP

When I bought a PSP I was expecting more of a portable console, and was quite underwhelmed when I realized my favorite game on it - Patapon - would be awesome on the DS. I'm on a six month trip around the world, and my DS was great for the 20 hour flight to South Africa. Infact I got about 25% through Ninja Town, and I'm loving it! I'm glad to hear it keeps you on your toes with new stuff. I've also been playing Professor Layton, which my sister cheats her way through using internet guides, and I just started The world ends with you, which although I've only played 10 minutes, could be quite interesting.

DS GAMES ARE NO LONGER SOCCER MOM EXCLUSIVE. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST AT GIANTBOMB.COM

I <3 MY DS
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By JonathanMoore

Would love to play some DS games I have wanted to play for a long long time, but I just don't have the money right now, although I may pick up the first Castlevania game for the DS soon.

-- God Bless.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PowerSerj

TWEWY kept me busy for a while on commutes to university, but I'm pretty sure I've lost my DS (with TWEWY and FFT:A in it)  :/

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nets

I just finished Chrono Trigger on the DS not too long ago. I was playing that a ton either at my house, or while I'm getting a ride somewhere. The DS is great for classic games like Contra 4 and the Final Fantasy remakes which is what really draws me into the platform.

KillGiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By KillGiver

I play my DS and PSP when I'm at my girlfriends or families house or after I finish listening to all my gaming podcasts at work. Right now I'm playing Professor Layton.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I played NinjaTown on the bus as well. Awesome game.

dechurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dechurn

Im one of those who primarily plays their portable consoles in their homes. It's fun because when i bought my DS i pictured myself playing all kinds of games on the bus or on the train, but when i acctualy got it i started to see that it is portable in another way. I mean that even if i play it mostly at home, it is still sweet to sit in your bed or sofa. Or even playing when your sitting at the breakfast table or doin your duties on the WC. So for me, portable consoles are portable in the sense that i can carry them wherever i want in my home. 

akumasan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By akumasan

Meteos used to be my go to train ride to uni game, until the day I got too involved in a campaign, missed my stop and was fined £20. Until recently I've thrown in my headphones and played Rhythm Tengoku Gold, but having just completed that last week, I'm not sure the expert difficulty levels can keep me interested enough to play them through.

Oh, and buy Rhythm Tengoku Gold...it's bad ass as all hell, and stupidly good fun.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Stevokenevo

I have an hour commute to work and back every weekday.  I manage to get in some DS gaming, elite beat agents and Professor Layton, but i mainly read.  Holding the DS with one hand whilst using the stylus in the other can be a pain sometimes.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By RHCPfan24

Looks like a fun game, Brad. Glad that we might get some more DS action on the site here. The last time I played a handheld game on rides and commutes was Professor Layton, in which I would get one or two puzzles done each way. I might pick up this Ninjatown though if you are raving about it. I look forward to the review.

goodlucktj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By goodlucktj

when i lived in chicago, my gameboy advance sp always rode the cta red line with me. more than a few times, people would lean in and watch me play or whip out their cell phone and play some remedial game in response.

since moving back to iowa, i waited until the nintendo ds lite, and have loved every minute of it. these days i use it on road trips and anytime i'm in a hotel. when at home, if the gf is watching something on the television, i'll often play demos downloaded from the wii's nintendo channel.

which, ironically, is where i downloaded the ninjatown demo and purchased it, based on the strength of the demo. good choice brad.
darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By darkjester74

My DS is basically a travel companion.  Any time I do any kind of traveling, be it for work or pleasure, my DS and a Steve Erickson book are my stalwart companions.  When I'm home, its either my PC or the 360.  I recently finished Professor Layton, I really enjoyed that title.  I am currently working my way through Chrono Trigger.

EDIT:  I would also appreciate a review of Ninja Town, you have piqued my interest.  :)

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Jayzilla

portable gaming for me is luxury on top of luxury. a portable system just isn't something i would buy first, it would be after i own a console and then games and peripherals for said console, and THEN a portable unit. looks good though.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mason

The more epic, story driven games I can only play at home on the couch or bed. But on the go, it needs to allow for distractions. It needs to be big on technique and light on story.

At the moment I've been sticking to the Advance Wars games, Castlevania: OoE and Space Invaders Extreme for portable gaming. Even though there is a narrative on the first two, it's pretty inconsequential to the experience.

I was skeptical about Ninja Town, but I keep hearing good things. Even my younger sister (who never expresses interest in RTS games) was raving about it. I intend to check it out.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Scooper

I bought a DS at launch, played it for 2 weeks and put it in a box under my bed.

jediautobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jediautobot

I'm currently playing Professor Layton, Ninjatown is next on my list.  I play it from the parking garage at work until my computer gets booted up and vice versa at night.  Oh, and a lunch also.  That is about 10 minutes for each back and forth to the garage and 20 minutes during lunch.