Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

THE DEATH OF EXCLUSIVITY?

Welcome to my Blog folks,

You'll know doubt know that E3 kicks off early next week in Sunny Los Angeles, California. The event hasn't even kicked off yet and we've already seen a number of brand new games, let alone the answers to some big questions gamers had entering into E3 (yes, Commander Shepardis alive afterall). I'll admit that I've found some of these sudden reveals quite a surprise, let's just hope that there are still announcements to be made once this golden videogame event gets under way. But that's not technically what I wanted to talk about, for I wanted to discuss the touchy and often controversial matter of exclusivity. Unlike the days of old, exclusive games are somewhat of a rare site nowadays. Yes of course there are those first party titles such as Microsoft's Halo franchise or Sony's God of War series, but even the most dedicated videogame franchises are spreading their wings and venturing towards other consoles.
Microsoft have dominated in the exclusivity wars so far.

Now in this age of videogame development costing companies many millions of dollars, it's not exactly a great surprise to see such a business decision be taken. For the most part I'm all for it. But are we looking at the demise of exclusive videogames, or as the actual death of exclusivity already taken place. There are many a gamer, who point towards Square Enix's Final Fantasy 13 as a fine example of a true change in exclusivity. Now it should be noted that the Final Fantasy franchise as appeared on many different gaming consoles, but it was that sudden announcement that still sent shockwaves through the videogame industry. Again, it seemed like a sensible decision on Square Enix's part. As I said previously, the videogames of today don't come cheap and it's in a company's interest to make sure a game can bring in as much revenue as possible.

This years E3 looks like it could provide a few more big shocks for gamers around the World. While it's been debated for what feels like years to me, there does seem to be talk of a Metal Gear game hitting Microsoft's Xbox 360 soon enough. I myself heard an interesting little rumour only last night concerning Mr Hideo Kojima, it seems there is some talk that the legendary developer will be appearing at both the Microsoft and Sony Press Conferences. While this alone won't be a massive surprise to gamers, as talk of a Metal Gear game hitting Microsoft's console as been heating up as we near E3. If true, it could be a step nearer in Microsoft's ambition to dominate the format for hardcore gamers like myself. Of course we don't know if this rumoured Metal Gear game could be something new, or just a simple port of Metal Gear Solid 4. Have to wait and see. 

But that alone could be another fine example of a ever changing industry, there are even many in the media itself who feel that exclusive content (be it in the form of games, or downloadable content). Is a rather dirty concept nowadays that can only harm the industry as a whole. Being European, I've had to suffer some of these exclusive dirty tactics at first hand. Sony made sure that only the Playstation 3 version of Ghostbusters: The Videogame would see a release over here, while those eager to play it on Xbox 360 would have to wait a while longer. We have also famously ran into issues with Harmonix's Rock Band, which took forever to get released though that wasn't exactly due to dirty tactics. That whole affair didn't do Harmonix much good at all, and still aren't exactly trusted by most European gamers. We now live in an age, where it's the dirty side of exclusivity that dominates the videogame scene. 

Which brings me back to Metal Gear, I'm not sure how I'd feel about seeing Solid Snake on Xbox 360. Although I am a dedicated Xbox 360 gamer, I've become fond of turning on my Playstation console and seeing Snake do his thing. I've had a somewhat odd chemical reaction to this generation of consoles, I've talked about this in past blogs but despite having a much bigger cache of titles for my Xbox 360, I still feel more fond of the Playstation 3. Why is this? Especially considering that I grew to hate the Playstation 2, though to be fair I did  have seven break on me. Maybe I just like the underdogs, because although Sony are fighting back bravely. There still losing to what Microsoft generally as to offer the hardcore gamer.

Solid Snake on 360? Feels wrong somehow!
In my own personal opinion, exclusivity is indeed alive and kicking. While it's taken a rather dirty turn for the worst lately, and as become a new battleground for the three big kings of consoles to battle over while Europe seems to have become the whipping boy. It's clear from last years E3 alone, that exclusivity can still shock. While I'll admit that I'm rather uncomfortable about seeing a franchise such as Metal Gear appearing on the 360, I should simply see that it's another example of these ever changing times and be happy with it. If at the Microsoft Press Conference, Mr Hideo Kojima announces a brand new Metal Gear title for the Xbox 360. Well I will indeed be excited, maybe even slightly thrilled even if it's just a simple port of MGS4. But I sense it will still take me sometime to adjust to seeing Solid Snake on my Xbox 360. 

Will there ever come a time where the cost of videogame development, force even first party developed titles to go multiplatform? It's possible I guess, though it would be a big moment for the industry. Videogames are being developed in a ever changing world, a world which doesn't always know what's around the corner. You simply never know what you'll get, so rather then the sight of exclusive titles being a thing of the past. It's more of a changing concept, that's being adapted by the hundreds of companies involved in industry. We gamers might not always like what it's being turned into, right now it does feel more like a weapon then an actual impressive extra for a console. But even we have to adjust to a form of entertainment, that gets stronger as each year goes by. Let's just hope that with change, comes a better quality product. 

What are your views on exclusivity in today's age of videogames?

Thanks for Reading, 
Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)

(Twitter: JosephBayliss)

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

THE DEATH OF EXCLUSIVITY?

Welcome to my Blog folks,

You'll know doubt know that E3 kicks off early next week in Sunny Los Angeles, California. The event hasn't even kicked off yet and we've already seen a number of brand new games, let alone the answers to some big questions gamers had entering into E3 (yes, Commander Shepardis alive afterall). I'll admit that I've found some of these sudden reveals quite a surprise, let's just hope that there are still announcements to be made once this golden videogame event gets under way. But that's not technically what I wanted to talk about, for I wanted to discuss the touchy and often controversial matter of exclusivity. Unlike the days of old, exclusive games are somewhat of a rare site nowadays. Yes of course there are those first party titles such as Microsoft's Halo franchise or Sony's God of War series, but even the most dedicated videogame franchises are spreading their wings and venturing towards other consoles.

Now in this age of videogame development costing companies many millions of dollars, it's not exactly a great surprise to see such a business decision be taken. For the most part I'm all for it. But are we looking at the demise of exclusive videogames, or as the actual death of exclusivity already taken place. There are many a gamer, who point towards Square Enix's Final Fantasy 13 as a fine example of a true change in exclusivity. Now it should be noted that the Final Fantasy franchise as appeared on many different gaming consoles, but it was that sudden announcement that still sent shockwaves through the videogame industry. Again, it seemed like a sensible decision on Square Enix's part. As I said previously, the videogames of today don't come cheap and it's in a company's interest to make sure a game can bring in as much revenue as possible.

This years E3 looks like it could provide a few more big shocks for gamers around the World. While it's been debated for what feels like years to me, there does seem to be talk of a Metal Gear game hitting Microsoft's Xbox 360 soon enough. I myself heard an interesting little rumour only last night concerning Mr Hideo Kojima, it seems there is some talk that the legendary developer will be appearing at both the Microsoft and Sony Press Conferences. While this alone won't be a massive surprise to gamers, as talk of a Metal Gear game hitting Microsoft's console as been heating up as we near E3. If true, it could be a step nearer in Microsoft's ambition to dominate the format for hardcore gamers like myself. Of course we don't know if this rumoured Metal Gear game could be something new, or just a simple port of Metal Gear Solid 4. Have to wait and see. 

But that alone could be another fine example of a ever changing industry, there are even many in the media itself who feel that exclusive content (be it in the form of games, or downloadable content). Is a rather dirty concept nowadays that can only harm the industry as a whole. Being European, I've had to suffer some of these exclusive dirty tactics at first hand. Sony made sure that only the Playstation 3 version of Ghostbusters: The Videogame would see a release over here, while those eager to play it on Xbox 360 would have to wait a while longer. We have also famously ran into issues with Harmonix's Rock Band, which took forever to get released though that wasn't exactly due to dirty tactics. That whole affair didn't do Harmonix much good at all, and still aren't exactly trusted by most European gamers. We now live in an age, where it's the dirty side of exclusivity that dominates the videogame scene. 

Which brings me back to Metal Gear, I'm not sure how I'd feel about seeing Solid Snake on Xbox 360. Although I am a dedicated Xbox 360 gamer, I've become fond of turning on my Playstation console and seeing Snake do his thing. I've had a somewhat odd chemical reaction to this generation of consoles, I've talked about this in past blogs but despite having a much bigger cache of titles for my Xbox 360, I still feel more fond of the Playstation 3. Why is this? Especially considering that I grew to hate the Playstation 2, though to be fair I did  have seven break on me. Maybe I just like the underdogs, because although Sony are fighting back bravely. There still losing to what Microsoft generally as to offer the hardcore gamer.

In my own personal opinion, exclusivity is indeed alive and kicking. While it's taken a rather dirty turn for the worst lately, and as become a new battleground for the three big kings of consoles to battle over while Europe seems to have become the whipping boy. It's clear from last years E3 alone, that exclusivity can still shock. While I'll admit that I'm rather uncomfortable about seeing a franchise such as Metal Gear appearing on the 360, I should simply see that it's another example of these ever changing times and be happy with it. If at the Microsoft Press Conference, Mr Hideo Kojima announces a brand new Metal Gear title for the Xbox 360. Well I will indeed be excited, maybe even slightly thrilled even if it's just a simple port of MGS4. But I sense it will still take me sometime to adjust to seeing Solid Snake on my Xbox 360. 

Will there ever come a time where the cost of videogame development, force even first party developed titles to go multiplatform? It's possible I guess, though it would be a big moment for the industry. Videogames are being developed in a ever changing world, a world which doesn't always know what's around the corner. You simply never know what you'll get, so rather then the sight of exclusive titles being a thing of the past. It's more of a changing concept, that's being adapted by the hundreds of companies involved in industry. We gamers might not always like what it's being turned into, right now it does feel more like a weapon then an actual impressive extra for a console. But even we have to adjust to a form of entertainment, that gets stronger as each year goes by. Let's just hope that with change, comes a better quality product. 

What are your views on exclusivity in today's age of videogames?

Thanks for Reading, 
Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)

(Twitter: JosephBayliss)

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Exclusivity only works if you stand to profit from the relationship you have with the company that's hosting your game.  So bigger companies, with more workers and more time and more exposure don't, really, have much of a reason to be exclusive.  If they can make a new version of a game for an alternate platform they stand to get more sales than if they stay exclusive.  The only time exclusivity, I think, really works for software developers is if they're smaller, because it means that they'll get a bump UP in exposure, since exclusivity is sort of an minor advertisement for a product, but also pledging exclusivity makes the company hosting your game all the more protective of it and willing to promote it and fund it. 

Infamous, for example, isn't made by a huge company, so they probably did quite well getting their game out on time with such a competent design.  Noby Noby Boy is a minor example, where a cheaper title with some novelty value increases the desire for the only console it runs on.  Extra content also works, but I think extra content sometimes dilutes the main game.  Completists will often want every part of a game that comes out, while others will think "sheesh, if I have to buy all of these things to get the complete game experience, what's the point?" Especially so when the content is not available across all platforms.  That makes me wonder if, say, the content for one platform winds up reducing sales of the less-content filled game on the other platform.

Good question!

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Otacon

It certainly means that next generation there will not be much to justify buying an xbox and a playstation, whilst seeing Snake on an xbox seems odd, the times they ar a-changin'. Good read!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

Don't forget that exclusivity still has its merits though. Look at something like the Resistance series. I'm not sure about Insomniac's relationship with Sony, but I don't think there's any partnership involved per se. But regardless, the point making is that Resistance has become a pretty well known franchise BECAUSE of Playstation exclusivity. Had a game like Resistance been multiplatform, I'm CONVINCED the game wouldn't get the same kind of exposure as it's gotten from being a PS3 exclusive. And I think that counts for a lot.

Also you can argue the strengths and weaknesses of Sony or Microsoft, but they're undeniably massive companies. If your game is getting marketed by either of them you know you're going to get a decent marketing campaign with your game.

A game like inFamous or Crackdown could have TOTALLY flown way beyond the radar had it not been for exclusivity. Let's not also forget you're going to get special treatment from your respective company, who also so happen to have developed the console you're making your game for. Which means your open to better support and resources. I know for a fact Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Insomniac and Sony's internal teams all share technical advice, resources and bits and bobs they've developed for the PS3. I'm sure the same happens at Microsoft too. It was only the other day that David Jaffe was talking about how people from Sony Santa Monica came to have a look at his game and give his team some tips on using the PS3 to improve the technical side of it.

I'm making this response sound all about Sony, but that's only because they're the company I follow most and have examples for. Naturally I assume this stuff happens across the board with Microsoft and Nintendo's teams, and that's the point I'm trying to get at.

Exclusivity may be dead, but I do think it still has its merits. Those games are subject to MUCH more exposure, they have the support of fellow first-party and second-party devs and they have the backing of the platform holder publishing the game.

I mean, if you're making a Wii game, wouldn't you appreciate the opinion of Miyamoto, etc. I'm sure that happens for exclusives developed externally such as Metroid Prime, etc.

Food for thought.

EDIT: I don't think Microsoft have dominated in exclusivity wars though. They've done things differently. Sony and Nintendo would rather invest in a studio such as Sucker Punch, to make them an entirely new game; whereas Microsoft would rather go to Rockstar and have exclusive DLC for their GTA game. I think both strategies work, but personally I prefer the Sony/Nintendo approach. Much as I'd love to play the GTA DLC, I think I'd rather play inFamous or flower or whatever.

Preference I guess.

EDIT 2: As for Kojima being at both conferences. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By TobyD81

I've just about lost all of my love for exclusivity in games. Exclusivity does little for games and mostly fuels the competition between hardware platforms. It means that if I buy only of of two (or more) very competent platforms, that should be capable of playing each other's games, I lock myself out of a good library of games. Even a multiplatform title might have exclusive features that I can't enjoy if I buy the other version. Exclusivity keeps gamers in the trap of worshiping the hardware, instead of ensuring that everyone has better access to games and those games get the richest possible development and marketing budgets that will help them excell in the market.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

As long as there are different first party platforms, there will be exclusive titles. For this gen the Wii solidified that further by having completely different architecture. Sure, we got the PS2/PSP ports but most (good) developers are stepping away from that and provide exclusives now. The DS has done the same in the portable space. I dunno how people see the death of exclusives with what's happening in the industry now...

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

The landscape of console competition changed this generation. That has had a huge impact on what's exclusive and is it cost effective for a developer to stay exclusive. We will surely always have first party developed games exclusive to their console, but who knows, maybe that will change one day as well.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thiago

The fact that people are talking about a MGS4 port, after 2 years of it being denied, instead of the new MGS game for the PS3 to be announced at the E3 is evidence enough that it has nothing to do with the games itself, it is about system wars.

And I think you are incorrect when saying that "Microsoft dominate exclusivities" because the best exclusive games are on the PS3 (Uncharted, Infamous, Killzone, LBP, Gran Turismo, God of War, etc).

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

There's really plenty of exclusives left. The japanese are just realzing that the 360 is a more than suitable machine to develop for.
Really, this arguement was better during the N64/PS1 time.  Now, you're just not realzing the fact that its because there's another console in town.  The xbox suffered from essentially xenophobia among japanese devs last generation and nintendo, since the n64, has been closed off to 3rd party.  The sega systems after the genesis were barely prevelant in the market.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thiago
SmugDarkLoser said:
There's really plenty of exclusives left. The japanese are just realzing that the 360 is a more than suitable machine to ... [more]

Good Lord... This is business, not a fucking drama. People didn't bother releasing their games on the Xbox because there was little reason to, the PS2 was already king.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Jensonb

You just got BSHAF'd ;)

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#12  Edited By TobyD81

Exclusives are dying?

Console wars sucked when I was a kid and they suck now. I care about the games. (I know, I misused the quote, but Shatner just delivers it better than I do.)