• 53 results
#1 Edited by Yodasdarkside (302 posts) -

Since the tragic event of a a few months ago, which left the community shaken, I just feel the need to point out how well Jeff has steered the community and his staff through the toughest time in the site's history. Through every podcast he has taken the reins with aplomb and reverence. The thought must have crossed everyone's mind at some point: "will the site continue?" Ryan was such a towering presence that his absence could have very easily overshadowed the future. As it is, it seems like he will be forever celebrated but never forgotten. I feel like the entire Giantbomb team have been exceptional for the last few weeks, pulling themselves forward to a point where things seem joyous again, and I think that this has been down largely to Jeff's guiding hand and principled nature. He jokes around a lot, but I have come to see him recently as a man of absolute integrity and a thoroughly decent human being.

I just wanted to say thank you.

#2 Posted by kadash299 (282 posts) -

+1

#3 Edited by Lifestrike (482 posts) -

man but how awesome would a Descent quick look be tho

#4 Edited by Aviar (452 posts) -

Here Here!!!

#5 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

It was really great how he brought Drew in as a full Bombcast member too. I have mad respect for Jeff, as well as the rest of the crew.

#6 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

This is a very nice thing of you to say and I agree wholeheartedly. ♥ Jeff.

#7 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6003 posts) -

Jeff, and the whole GB crew for that matter are just great people in general. They are the absolute heart and soul of this website and it's community. Seeing them move forward with a positive attitude did leaps and bounds to help the rest of us get through Ryan's passing. They've done a great job with site content these past few months and Jeff especially has done well at stepping up and steering this Giant Bomb. I wish them all the best and I think I speak for everyone when I say, I'll stick around for as long as they're up for continuing the shenanigans.

#8 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1651 posts) -

They are all examples of great human beings.

#9 Posted by FLStyle (4923 posts) -

True words! To Jeff and the GB crew, who's backs the GB community will always have.

#10 Edited by Eviternal (197 posts) -

Thanks, Giant Bomb.

#11 Edited by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -
#12 Posted by shintsurugi (77 posts) -

Everyone on GB puts heart and soul into their work. And Jeff's got a lot of at least one of those things. Maybe both. Depends on what mood he's in it seems.

#13 Posted by rasko_the_brave (86 posts) -

Golden Duders

#14 Edited by SeanFoster (889 posts) -

Between the sad events of this summer and the big Gamespot brouhaha of several years ago, the guy knows how to weather a storm. I honestly look up to Jeff Gerstmann.

#15 Posted by Franstone (1156 posts) -

I've been very impressed by how Jeff has handled and pushed through the whole thing.
Bravo Jeff, sure it hasn't been easy.

#16 Posted by Legion_ (1556 posts) -

He's a trooper, no doubt about it. Can't imagine how hard it would be to shepherd a community to a incredibly tough time, when you're the one hurting most of all. Jeff Gerstmann is one of my favorite people. Like top five. Out of 7 billion. Well done, duder.

#18 Posted by Milkman (17329 posts) -

Jeff puts on a brave face but it's clearly been a hard couple of months for everyone. I give credit to everyone on the site for how they've soldiered on.

#20 Posted by Confirm4Crit (143 posts) -

When this "community" sends them food, drinks and expensive shit, they act like they're forced to go through them, and they barely say thank you.

I haven't seen a mailbag where they haven't "oh shit what the fuck this is awesome/dumb but awesome"

I swear 80% of the liquor they drink on streams is gifted. They normally always cite.

I'm pretty sure Patrick creamed his jeans when someone sent him a whole fucking computer.

#21 Posted by fetchfox (1363 posts) -

I think the entire team needs our praise. Jeff has done a good job leading (I loved his "role" during the pax panel), but he's not alone in upholding giantbombs quality.

#22 Edited by Zeik (2766 posts) -

@jouseldelka: What the fuck are you talking about? What website have you been visiting that's not this one?

It's Giantbomb.ru isn't it? Admit it.

#23 Edited by GaspoweR (3517 posts) -

I don't what this other user is on saying "I hate to be a downer, etc" and saying that the crew doesn't care about the community but you are dead wrong. I remember when one of the members of the community here was about to go through with a suicide and the people in the community AND THE CREW also did what they could to help out and reached out to her and I even remember both Ryan and Jeff in the forum and in tumblr respectively mentioning that they were relieved that the user didn't go through with it with the help of close friends and relatives who also were made aware of the situation. I know Jeff interacts with the community via the Jar Time videos that he does occasionally and Patrick does this a lot during his Spookin' videos. Sure they are not necessarily always active in the forums but I know they do respond in comments and threads from time to time and though they are not very vocal or sentimental about it, but I know even with the brief time that they get to spend at conventions to interact with the community, they do in fact will entertain people who show up there while walking around the convention and will talk with them and spend some time with community members even outside the panel. I know that these guys do give a fuck about their community.

#24 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

[T]hey neither "steer" the community nor really interact with it

Boom! Interaction!

#25 Edited by erhard (442 posts) -

Jeff is the only "game journalist" without pretense.

#26 Edited by Confirm4Crit (143 posts) -

@jouseldelka said:

[T]hey neither "steer" the community nor really interact with it

Boom! Interaction!

I see your post and raise you.

#27 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6003 posts) -
#28 Posted by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

One person always has to ruin it and it's usually the same one.

Anyway, nice thread and very true

#29 Edited by ToTheNines (839 posts) -

Ignore the downer. From his perspective it's probably true, from everyone else it rings untrue. I think Jeff has done well since Ryan's death and I am thankful that the site is as strong as it's ever been. I know I mostly post a lot of stupid "trolly" shit on these boards, but I have nothing but admiration for this community and how supportive it's been and I think Jeff and the guys not only recognize that, but appreciate it.

#30 Posted by Tarsier (1078 posts) -

jeff has toned back on his negative attitude towards all games , which is really nice. GB was going in a weird direction.

#31 Posted by Abendlaender (2889 posts) -

It's really funny how fucking professional Jeff actually is for somebody always pretending to not be professional. But just listening to the first few seconds of the 07-09 Bombcast shows what a pro he really is. Opening that Podcast with a joke to release the tension a bit (and again chiming in at the end with one as well) was exactly what we all needed. Not the other Crew members but the listeners.

And yeah, looking back at all the "Will the site continue" threads is even more ridiculous than it was back than. They did a fantastic job of trying to keep up the content. Drew still feels a bit like the odd man out on the bombcast cause he doesn't really play a lot of "recent" games but he still does a good job.

#32 Posted by BigJeffrey (5110 posts) -

Jeff is da man

#33 Posted by csl316 (9485 posts) -

Jeff's great.

For a press sneak fuck.

(really, they've all been doing excellent work these past few months)

#34 Edited by MetalGearSunny (7003 posts) -

@jouseldelka said:

I hate to be a downer but I don't know what you're talking about.

For years I never felt that this guy or his crew gave a fuck about their community, they just do their thing being funny and/or talking shit for our pleasure and they make a living from it and it's great entertainment, but they neither "steer" the community nor really interact with it, outside of the occasional game conference, and they act pretty awkwardly and briefly with their fans on those. When this "community" sends them food, drinks and expensive shit, they act like they're forced to go through them, and they barely say thank you.

I'm sorry, you just sound delusional. This has always felt like a one-way mirror type deal between this community and the site's staff, I mean he doesn't even post on his site's own forums, so I'm pretty sure he missed your heartfelt "thank you."

But I appreciate your sentiment as a fellow site user, always nice to see people say nice things.

Okay, site member who's only been here for a few months. For starters, just because the staff doesn't post on the forums doesn't mean that they don't look at it. From what I heard from friends that go to PAX, those guys are extremely friendly and approachable. Maybe you missed features like Question of the Week, where they experimented with the community to produce video content, maybe you missed the Endurance Runs where they play a whole fucking game, start to finish, for entertainment, maybe you missed TNT where they played multiplayer games with the community, maybe you missed the MMO features where they joined in on an ending MMO and interact with the community there, maybe you missed the fact that they always plug Giant Bomb communities and organizations in games, maybe you missed the days of the red phone where people can call into the office, maybe you missed the premium streams where they had members call into the show and asked questions in a chill atmosphere, maybe you missed the fact that the crew occasionally appeared on community-run podcasts, maybe you missed the 3 hour Bombcasts they do just because so many people listen to it, maybe you missed the time where they had a link to the Giant Bomb Community song on the front page for years, maybe you missed the part where the whole big wiki is dependent on the community, maybe you missed the part where they tried doing a subscription service before selling to CBS, or maybe you missed their reactions to the community's mourning of Ryan Davis and continual support of the site.

I don't know how long you've been following Giant Bomb, I just know that you're wrong.

#35 Posted by wjb (1697 posts) -

Everyone has opinions, but good grief, we don't always need to let the world know about everything we feel. I'm actually kind of glad they don't interact with the community much in the forums, is that weird? Seems like a slippery slope if they constantly did. Matt's really good at it, anyway.

Either way, cheers. They've stepped it up big time and it's hard for me to keep up with the content sometimes!

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (15163 posts) -

For years I never felt that this guy or his crew gave a fuck about their community, they just do their thing being funny and/or talking shit for our pleasure and they make a living from it and it's great entertainment, but they neither "steer" the community nor really interact with it, outside of the occasional game conference, and they act pretty awkwardly and briefly with their fans on those. When this "community" sends them food, drinks and expensive shit, they act like they're forced to go through them, and they barely say thank you.

I'm sorry, you just sound delusional. This has always felt like a one-way mirror type deal between this community and the site's staff, I mean he doesn't even post on his site's own forums, so I'm pretty sure he missed your heartfelt "thank you."

But I appreciate your sentiment as a fellow site user, always nice to see people say nice things.

If you "hated" to be a downer you would have just ya know... not posted. Every single member of the bomb crew has said the ONLY reason they go to PAX is for the community and to interact with them. They continually have thanked the community for their support especially over the recent months. Stop being so cynical and bitter. The Giantbomb staff are some of the best guys in the business when it comes to appreciating their fans.

#37 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (652 posts) -

Well said, Jeff makes me laugh on a regular basis. I love me some Jeff.

#38 Edited by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

@jouseldelka said:

Okay, site member who's only been here for a few months. For starters, just because the staff doesn't post on the forums doesn't mean that they don't look at it. From what I heard from friends that go to PAX, those guys are extremely friendly and approachable. Maybe you missed features like Question of the Week, where they experimented with the community to produce video content, maybe you missed the Endurance Runs where they play a whole fucking game, start to finish, for entertainment, maybe you missed TNT where they played multiplayer games with the community, maybe you missed the MMO features where they joined in on an ending MMO and interact with the community there, maybe you missed the fact that they always plug Giant Bomb communities and organizations in games, maybe you missed the days of the red phone where people can call into the office, maybe you missed the premium streams where they had members call into the show and asked questions in a chill atmosphere, maybe you missed the fact that the crew occasionally appeared on community-run podcasts, maybe you missed the 3 hour Bombcasts they do just because so many people listen to it, maybe you missed the time where they had a link to the Giant Bomb Community song on the front page for years, maybe you missed the part where the whole big wiki is dependent on the community, maybe you missed the part where they tried doing a subscription service before selling to CBS, or maybe you missed their reactions to the community's mourning of Ryan Davis and continual support of the site.

I don't know how long you've been following Giant Bomb, I just know that you're wrong.

I've been here for a while, and I don't even remember all of that! ... maybe it's just the medicine talking or making me forget.

#39 Edited by supamon (1334 posts) -

You already know.

#40 Posted by Spoonman671 (4776 posts) -

I typed "Jeff Gerstmann dignity" into Google and this image was the result.

#41 Posted by johnbakosh (114 posts) -

His cult of personality is growing daily

#42 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Wow, this was so shitty and wrong-headed and I have no idea how you could justify what you said here. Everyone that sees them at PAX reports that they are super-cool and friendly, taking time to talk with people and take pictures with people they run into. Jeff, Patrick, and Vinny all interact with people regularly on Tumblr, especially Jeff. Jeff even does his Jar Time videos which are all about taking questions from the community and speaking directly to us. Hell, Jeff replied to a post I made on the forum just yesterday and that wasn't the first time. I have had interactions on the forums with every single member of the crew in the past 3 years I've been here.

#43 Posted by Slag (4889 posts) -

Since the tragic event of a a few months ago, which left the community shaken, I just feel the need to point out how well Jeff has steered the community and his staff through the toughest time in the site's history. Through every podcast he has taken the reins with aplomb and reverence. The thought must have crossed everyone's mind at some point: "will the site continue?" Ryan was such a towering presence that his absence could have very easily overshadowed the future. As it is, it seems like he will be forever celebrated but never forgotten. I feel like the entire Giantbomb team have been exceptional for the last few weeks, pulling themselves forward to a point where things seem joyous again, and I think that this has been down largely to Jeff's guiding hand and principled nature. He jokes around a lot, but I have come to see him recently as a man of absolute integrity and a thoroughly decent human being.

nicely put OP and thank you for making the thread.

#44 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1702 posts) -

Well said

#45 Posted by hawkinson76 (376 posts) -

Jeff is hard like a ROCK. Doing his boy right.

#46 Posted by OurSin_360 (947 posts) -

You realize that delka guy just typed that to derail the thread right? Stop feeding trolls guyz.

And Jeff and the entire crew has been holding it down since Ryan passed.

#47 Edited by Cleron (32 posts) -

Jeff is doing a good job keeping shit going, and the guys are trying to fill the gap left by Ryan, but It just feels like they keep coming up short. Ryan left big shoes to fill, and while it's not surprising that they are having trouble I hope they can find some one who can bring back a little of the Jeff/Ryan dynamic.

#48 Posted by spraynardtatum (3716 posts) -

Jeff is a rock. Jeff is an island.

-Simon and Garfunkel

#49 Posted by Itwongo (1246 posts) -

Jeff and the crew are keepin' me believin'. Meeting them at pax... I know people have always said they're super cool and friendly, but I never really believed it until I actually met and talked to them. These are the realest guys I know.

#50 Edited by HermanBloom (94 posts) -

I have no idea who has guided who, or what, or how since Ryan's passing. But from the very little I know I reckon he'd be chuffed to bits on how the whole thing has kept, well, being here.

So well done the whole goddamned crew.