The dirty underworld of professional StarCraft

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fbomb
I just read the following article, and thought I'd share it with you guys. I know it's been mentioned on the Bombcast before, but the story here is a bit more fleshed out, with actual indictments having been handed down yesterday--yes, that's right, throwing videogame matches can come with stiff penalties.  Original can be read here.

StarCraft’s newest tribe: Match-fixers

스타크 승부 조작 사실로 … 조폭까지 낀 일당 적발
May 17, 2010
The dark rumors bedeviling fans of the hyper-popular game StarCraft have come true: prosecutors yesterday indicted a group of professional gamers for fixing the outcome of StarCraft tournaments - and receiving large sums of money to do so. 

The Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday indicted 14 people, including 11 professional gamers, on charges of fraud and illegal gambling for fixing StarCraft tournaments. 

Among them, a man surnamed Park, 24, the owner of a computer game hagwon, was indicted with physical detention, seven were indicted without physical attention and six face summary indictments with fines ranging from 2 million won ($1,765) to 5 million won. One other person has been indicted and surrendered to the military police for investigation because he is a soldier. 

According to prosecutors, Park, along with a gang member named Kim (who is wanted by police), gave 2 million won to 7 million won each to professional gamers to deliberately lose StarCraft tournaments from last September to this February. 

The prosecutors’ office said that in local e-sports history, this is the first game-fixing case that involved professional gamers. 

Park and Kim allegedly fixed 12 such tournaments, and then placed bets worth a total of 92 million won on an illegal online gambling site dedicated to computer games, and ended up winning around 140 million won. A professional gamer surnamed Won received 3 million won from Park and not only lost a tournament deliberately, but bet himself and won 35 million won. 

Park then blackmailed the gamers, telling them to give back the money he paid them or he would tell their team directors they were throwing matches. Through those threats, Park received a total of around 8 million won.

Another prominent figure was a popular professional gamer surnamed Ma, 22, dubbed “the Maestro,” who, according to prosecutors, told two fellow gamers surnamed Jin, 21, and Park, 22, to lose a tournament on Jan. 19th and received money for doing so. That StarCraft tournament was broadcast live on TV, and the commentator said: “Today’s game seems a bit strange. Why didn’t you [Park] attack when you had the chance?” 

After the game, several online posts accused the gamers of losing intentionally, and rumors started surfacing about game-fixing. 

“These gamers lacked the opportunity for education, which builds character, and instead isolated themselves in this game. They were found to have participated in these schemes without any guilt,” said Wi Jae-cheon, a head prosecutor for the case. 

By Cho Jae-eun, Hong Hye-jin [jainnie@joongang.co.kr]
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By sixghost

Poor sAviOr, he used to be the king. I don't blame some of the lesser players though. They practice like 10-12 hours a day and make such little money. Unless you are a superstar it's such a bad profession.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Fbomb
@sixghost said:
" Poor sAviOr, he used to be the king. I don't blame some of the lesser players though. They practice like 10-12 hours a day and make such little money. Unless you are a superstar it's such a bad profession. "
Well, you can see just how much they make, if they're willing to throw tournaments for $2,000 - $7,000 payouts. Still, I like the part where the guy even bet against himself and made $35,000 off of throwing his match. :P
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
@Fbomb:  Damn, I was hoping Idra would cheat so he'd stop playing, but alas.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By tebbit
@KaosAngel: I'm still waiting for the David Kim nerf that was promised.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
@Tebbit: Hah, thanks for reminding me of the Battle Report.  I got a hunch this isnt' the end of it, and a longer trail will slowly come out, and I also got a hunch this was another reason Blizzard wanted to make sure all games are played on their terms with Battle.net 2.0.  Not gonna lie though, still pumped for SC2 but my side is going more towards DotA 2.0, and the single player lately.  Getting boring with the non-stop wins I've been having...haven't lost a frickin' ranked game in 2 weeks now.

EIDT:  I still can't get into Plat, which is pissing the shit out of me.   On topic, what's hilarious is that for Battle.net 2.0, loads of people will throw away matches for the achievements...and to stay in copper on purpose.  Not on the same scale as this, but still...gotta set examples.  :P
white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By white

What happens if they played the game through but eventually loss either way? What's stopping those idiots who bet on the losers from calling them match throwers?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
@White said:
" What happens if they played the game through but eventually loss either way? What's stopping those idiots who bet on the losers from calling them match throwers? "
If you watch Starcraft, you can tell pretty easily when someone is throwing it.  Their APM will drop, they won't be making units, or they blindly attack or not defend...or retreat. 
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By tebbit
@KaosAngel: Are you talking about HoN or LoL? Also, what race do you play? I am in a similar situation, Reaper rush will crush 98% of all Protoss players, 70% of Zerg and 20% of Terrans who do the same thing, killing each others bases and causing the game to last an hour and a half.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
@Tebbit said:
" @KaosAngel: Are you talking about HoN or LoL? Also, what race do you play? I am in a similar situation, Reaper rush will crush 98% of all Protoss players, 70% of Zerg and 20% of Terrans who do the same thing, killing each others bases and causing the game to last an hour and a half. "
I mean the real next-gen DotA that will be made for SC2.  Dude, for the hell of it..I've been doing Zerg and Baling Bust, NO ONE is stopping it in Gold and I'm getting so annoyed that they rage quit.  I have been doing that Bust non-fucking-stop, and have yet to screw up.  For the Protoss and Zerg, I just go 6 pool rush...and they start to bitch too.