Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

I'm really excited to learn that The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai is coming to Xbox Live Arcade on April 8th (Source). It's being released as a part of Xbox Live Arcade's Days of Arcade. I haven't yet seen anything about a price but I would assume it will be 1200 points because the game has a lot of pre-release press just like Braid. I've been waiting a long time for this game and it fills my heart with joy to learn that the wait is almost over.
As I mentioned in my previous blog post, I haven't had much time to play games in the past couple of months. The games I did play were unique indie titles that managed to capture my attention through their originality. Recently, I've grown tired of those games and have been starved for something to play. It's looking like The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai will save me from my gaming slump. It's the first game I've seen in months that looks like fun to me. In addition to that, the game has co-op game modes which might come in handy while hanging out with my girlfriend. I think it'll be nice to be able to play a quality game without having to take turns.
In addition to actually looking forward to playing the game, I'm excited by the implications of such a release. It's as if Xbox Live Arcade is receiving a one-two indie punch with Braid assaulting the initial barrier and The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai hitting home. It represents another high-quality indie game that will see huge crossover into the mainstream game audience. As this kind of game becomes more common to mainstream gamers, we'll begin to see a shift in gaming tastes and indie games will become an economically viable subset of the game industry.
Those of you that know me know that I'm a huge fan of indie games and that I intend to be an indie game developer in the near-future (I'm working on four projects right now, something I also mentioned in my last post). As such, you can probably understand why I'm dead-set on not only supporting this game but why I'm also rooting for its success. If publishers believe there is money to be earned from indie games, they might be more open to experimental or artistic games. An indie movement in games might also be the only way to keep the game industry from collapsing in on itself. Many have been lulled into a false sense of security by GameStop's promising holiday sales but the game production industry is struggling to make money because the corporate model of game making requires huge budgets and products void of any cultural value. If the game industry wants to progress and grow as opposed to stagnate and die, games like The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai must be supported!

#1 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

I'm really excited to learn that The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai is coming to Xbox Live Arcade on April 8th (Source). It's being released as a part of Xbox Live Arcade's Days of Arcade. I haven't yet seen anything about a price but I would assume it will be 1200 points because the game has a lot of pre-release press just like Braid. I've been waiting a long time for this game and it fills my heart with joy to learn that the wait is almost over.
As I mentioned in my previous blog post, I haven't had much time to play games in the past couple of months. The games I did play were unique indie titles that managed to capture my attention through their originality. Recently, I've grown tired of those games and have been starved for something to play. It's looking like The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai will save me from my gaming slump. It's the first game I've seen in months that looks like fun to me. In addition to that, the game has co-op game modes which might come in handy while hanging out with my girlfriend. I think it'll be nice to be able to play a quality game without having to take turns.
In addition to actually looking forward to playing the game, I'm excited by the implications of such a release. It's as if Xbox Live Arcade is receiving a one-two indie punch with Braid assaulting the initial barrier and The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai hitting home. It represents another high-quality indie game that will see huge crossover into the mainstream game audience. As this kind of game becomes more common to mainstream gamers, we'll begin to see a shift in gaming tastes and indie games will become an economically viable subset of the game industry.
Those of you that know me know that I'm a huge fan of indie games and that I intend to be an indie game developer in the near-future (I'm working on four projects right now, something I also mentioned in my last post). As such, you can probably understand why I'm dead-set on not only supporting this game but why I'm also rooting for its success. If publishers believe there is money to be earned from indie games, they might be more open to experimental or artistic games. An indie movement in games might also be the only way to keep the game industry from collapsing in on itself. Many have been lulled into a false sense of security by GameStop's promising holiday sales but the game production industry is struggling to make money because the corporate model of game making requires huge budgets and products void of any cultural value. If the game industry wants to progress and grow as opposed to stagnate and die, games like The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai must be supported!

#2 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -

I'm right there with ya buddy. I really can't wait for this game any more. I played the little two level demo back when XNA first launched (beat it like 80 times) and i thought it was awesome. Looking forward to the launch!

#3 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

I didn't get to play the demo but I'm psyched!

#4 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I'm looking forward to this game as well and hopefully all this extra development time has allowed for a lot of polish and awesomeness. The demo was pretty fun and definitely visually appealing to me...here's just hoping it's more than just the same ol' repetitive hack n' slash gameplay throughout the entire experience.

#5 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -
Kush said:
"I'm looking forward to this game as well and hopefully all this extra development time has allowed for a lot of polish and awesomeness. The demo was pretty fun and definitely visually appealing to me...here's just hoping it's more than just the same ol' repetitive hack n' slash gameplay throughout the entire experience."
I was concerned about that as well, although I'm not terribly against repetition as long as the mechanics are fun.
#6 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -
Kush said:
"I'm looking forward to this game as well and hopefully all this extra development time has allowed for a lot of polish and awesomeness. The demo was pretty fun and definitely visually appealing to me...here's just hoping it's more than just the same ol' repetitive hack n' slash gameplay throughout the entire experience."
I wouldn't mind it too much. There's a good amount of weapons with plenty of awesome looking combos for each plus finishing moves. If I remember correctly (and there's a good chance I'm wrong) it was possible to change weapons mid-combo so you could string two different combos together.
#7 Posted by Sweep (8865 posts) -

i also want this a lot. XBLA lineup is really impressive, especially considering when i first got my xbox i dismissed the Arcade marketplace completely.

#8 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

Dishwasher was by far my favorite XNA demo last year, it should be a fun game.

#9 Posted by Dj (913 posts) -

I have the feeling that I will be burned by this game. I'll probably buy it and be way dissapointed. This happed last year with Castle Crashers.

#10 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

I hope it isn't like Castle Crashers! I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

#11 Posted by Forcen (1829 posts) -

I have the memory that its a bit like castle crashers, but with more devil may cry style combos and jumping.