The Elephant In the Room With These New Consoles

ArcHTecHGuY79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With these both new consoles now revealed isn't there still a big elephant in the room with the very real possibility that these two consoles could crash and burn. I mean there has been multiple bad news stories all around for awhile now even with some former designers praising mobile and its possible take over, along with sales that keep declining and of course lots of studio closing and missed sales expectations. Sony and Microsoft seem blind to all this as I see it. Will this transition to next consoles change anything really

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not excited for any of them. Back to pc gaming I go

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By korwin

With these both new consoles now revealed isn't there still a big elephant in the room with the very real possibility that these two consoles could crash and burn. I mean there has been multiple bad news stories all around for awhile now even with some former designers praising mobile and its possible take over, along with sales that keep declining and of course lots of studio closing and missed sales expectations. Sony and Microsoft seem blind to all this as I see it. Will this transition to next consoles change anything really

That's why Microsoft made a set to box instead of a console ;)

Sure it still plays game and comes with a controller but it's fairly obvious that they're making a run at becoming the center of the lounge room for everything and not just games.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

There will always be videogames on a TV.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mosdl

@korwin said:

That's why Microsoft made a set to box instead of a console ;)

Sure it still plays game and comes with a controller but it's fairly obvious that they're making a run at becoming the center of the lounge room for everything and not just games.

Problem is cable providers want customers to buy stuff on their ondemand service, not Microsoft's.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Gruebacca

As long as a segment of the gaming public demands video games on a television, console makers will continue to make consoles. Some cool technologies are going to come out in the future and will redefine what a TV is and how people watch it, and when consoles begin to decline in popularity, they'll evolve into some kind of transitional device until some other great technology renders it practically obsolete.

I believe consoles have about 20-25 years left, or about 3-4 more generations, before services completely take over the business. The tail end of that, however, may not be recognized as consoles we are familiar with.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Bribo

Fart apps are more profitable than most videogames on your smartphone. I don't mean to denigrate the few genuinely good games on that format, nor the cultural phenomena (Angry Birds, Draw Something, etc.) but that's a different audience. Yes, the console/PC crowd might be drawn to stuff like The Room (or those other games that I can't quite recall, possibly because they don't linger in the memory) but that doesn't impact signficantly on the games they are willing spend money on.It's easy to imagine a future of nothing but ipad games, but only if you're willing to forget about Call of Duty, Madden, Halo and (to a lesser extent) Mario.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By musubi

I don't think they are going to fail. The far more pressing issue is third party games. Are the split in directions going to change the feature sets between versions? For instance PS4 has a touch pad... Xbox One doesn't... Xbox One has kinect PS4 doesn't The paths both systems are taking are vastly different. I'm interested to see if there is a gulf in the versions of third party games on each console as far as feature sets for each game.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's always a man, a big screen tv, and a controller.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

RIP Video Games 1994-2013

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

There's always a chance a new product will crash and burn, but I doubt we'll see a significant crash anytime soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@turboman said:

RIP Video Games 1994-2013

But there was...Super Mario World.....Link to the Past.....ohhhh...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By JasonR86

?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think it'll just force publishers to start being more pragmatic and realistic. We had a huge boom, but these things always come to an end. The econonmy isn't very strong and that's impacting the bottom line in entertainment. Soon, we'll go back to smaller budgets and everything will be fine.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With these both new consoles now revealed isn't there still a big elephant in the room with the very real possibility that these two consoles could crash and burn.

Then get the elephant out of the room! That's delicate equipment, fo' fuck's sake. Of course it's going to crash and burn if you trap a massive, flighty pachyderm in a tiny clean room designed for building sensitive electronics! Why are we letting elephants into these places to begin with? This whole fucking thing is a boondoggle.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By biospank

Xbox1 will stalk you with because of Kinect, it is worse now because you can't even watch nude films on the internet without the /x/box team finding out. Plus it has a creepier vibe to it because team /x/box can totally watch because of the weird night vision thing on the Kinect. Plus you can't unplug the Kinect without the system being mad at you, then I mean it will not work.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Did none of you see the stream? It will revolutionize everything related to everything!

When they did the whole voice command to switch stuff all I could think was if it would switch to a PS4 if you had it connected somehow. I just think it would be funny to see someone turning on their xbox just so they can say "Xbox. PS4." and then never playing the xbox.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebgav said:

@archtechguy79 said:

With these both new consoles now revealed isn't there still a big elephant in the room with the very real possibility that these two consoles could crash and burn.

Then get the elephant out of the room! That's delicate equipment, fo' fuck's sake. Of course it's going to crash and burn if you trap a massive, flighty pachyderm in a tiny clean room designed for building sensitive electronics! Why are we letting elephants into these places to begin with? This whole fucking thing is a boondoggle.

Hey this elephant's a pro! Lay off!

Loading Video...

Seriously though. Mobile came on very strong during the current generation and has gained a foothold in at least casual gaming. Sony seemed pretty clear that their intent is to cater to consumers who want more in their games than what a mobile device can provide. Hopefully Microsoft will come out strong at E3 and do the same.

Either that or both crash and burn. I already have a gaming PC so I guess I'm set!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah sure, a phone game is fun for a couple minutes. its low monetary investment and low time investment. i can buy a 99 cent phone game, play it for 5 minutes and never play it again without really feeling bad at all. if i buy a 60 dollar game, then play it for 5 minutes and never play it again, then i'll feel i wasted money, i'll blame the developers, you made a bad game!

Phone games aren't going to take over because they dont fill the god damn needs and wants of the market. Yes super casual phone games tap into a new market and its rather successful. But dudes who want big awesome games aren't going to ditch their consoles and gaming PCs and only play games on their phones. Thats god damn retarded.

Its completely different markets and target audiences, is there overlap? sure. but thats it.

The PS4 and the Xbox One will do fine. which one will be more successful? we'll see, its gonna be one of them. But they won't crash and burn. thats completely unrealistic.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zeik

I think there's still a very large subset of gamers that want more from their games than what phones can provide but don't enjoy PC gaming. Console gaming may/will change throughout the course of this generation, but there's no way it's just going to crash and burn that easily.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If video games ever die - which I seriously doubt they will anytime soon - then phone games won't be what kills them. Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja or whichever one is popular these days will never replace the likes of Skyrim or Battlefield or any other number of games that just can't be done without a controller or KB/M and some fairly decent hardware.

Consoles themselves might eventually go away, but I don't think that expansive and complex games that hold your attention for more than a few minutes will.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mandude

I can't stand it when phone games are cited as the reason for declining sales in the gaming industry. It would be like blaming the rising popularity of .GIFs for declining sales in the movie industry.