• 179 results
#51 Edited by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

@martyarf said:

@Lokishot said:

People are insulted by the word "whore"? Are you new to the internet or just a home schooled kid?

Or maybe you're a woman who doesn't like to see gendered insults in a totally inappropriate context?

Whore is a gender neutral word, and even if it weren't, it doesn't fucking matter. I really can't believe that you're offended at the use of whore in reference to a class in a video game.

#52 Posted by chrispti (214 posts) -

hahah I love the internet. I see that the word "camwhore" is now a misogynistic term. lol you crazy comments section kids. It is getting worse than youtube on here.

#53 Posted by blacklab (1528 posts) -

I thought ForumWarz was pretty great. Only discovered it about a month ago when the guys mentioned it on the podcast.

#54 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

@Phished0ne said:

@TyCobb said:

@Kixxi said:

@DaveC524 said:

Why use the word "whore" Patrick? Phh... misogynistic male privilege.

Really inappropriate for a front page headline, at least to anyone not knowing what the article is about. Felt insulting.

I agree "whore" is a horrible word and should never be used. There are much better words like "slut", "bitch", "twat", and every woman's favorite, "cunt".

shut up. The character class is called "the camwhore" and this is an adult website. Ugh.

You should read my whole post. Obviously I know this is an adult website.

#55 Posted by Goldanas (545 posts) -

I don't like the preachy message the developer attempts to posit for his users. He issues a ruling entirely based on morality, and then goes on to craft an entirely hypothetical scenario that has pretty much nothing to do with behavior on the Internet just so he can front his "message". This is the kind of fiction I absolutely despise. Something that's entirely a vehicle for an author's opinion and eschews all reason in order to conform to it. It's occasionally the reason I dislike Patrick articles: they are just sometimes too preachy.

Additionally, all this camwhore nonsense is ridiculous. Don't get mad a Patrick because you associate your gender with a gender-neutral word. If you're a male attempting to suggest this notion, either stop white-knighting or educate yourself. 4chan's /b/ was the home of camwhores for years, and while the majority of camwhores were girls of all sorts, there were loads of dudes who would get just as much attention, and were also addressed as camwhores. Frequency has no bearing on the matter, they were both camwhores.

If you have to have an issue, take it up with the ironically moral-preaching dev who made the only female class in the game a camwhore.

#56 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11488 posts) -

What does this article have to say about forums that hasn't already been shown... by actual forums? I'm just not sure what the meta-meta layer of it being a game about a forum has to offer about society other than what we already know. The Giant Bomb forums are a better commentary on society simply because the idiocy is real instead of manufactured and encouraged.

Also, Patrick said whore. DERAIL THE TOPIC.

#57 Edited by Ooame (165 posts) -

Are you people really being offended by "camwhore"? Really? Thats fucking pathetic.

#58 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

I don't know who's trolling who anymore!

#59 Posted by yyZiggurat (1013 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@HomemadeZiggurat said:

"Cam Whore" is the established term for some people on the internet. It can be applied to a male or female that excessively posts pictures of themselves online. Would you have preferred he used "amateur models"?

it is very rarely used for men don't be disingenuous

Well, Cam Whore is one of the types of characters you could play as in the game this article is about along with Emo Kid, Troll, and Hacker. I don't understand why people are getting pissed at Patrick over this.

#60 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4643 posts) -

Sounds like pretentious garbage.

#61 Posted by FulgoreSenpai (71 posts) -

I like the article but as far as the whole "resonates because parts of the game's "classes" are in all of us" part just makes me go ugh. People still like to use the word emo?

Also, who goes to giant bomb and gets offended by someones use of whore? if it doesnt offend Vinny Caramel Caravella then shush.

#62 Posted by DaveC524 (86 posts) -

trolled hard

#63 Posted by patrickklepek (3500 posts) -

I removed "Camwhore" from the headline. It's not important. Moving on!

Staff
#64 Posted by Sweep (8826 posts) -
“It's like a police force,” he said. "You are the commissioner in Batman or something, and this is all for things that, when you really break it down, seem really inconsequential."
#65 Posted by jNerd (2011 posts) -

That was a good read Tricky. I liked your conclusion a lot. I think internet civility will come with time & education.

#66 Posted by dr_mantas (1804 posts) -

Camwhore. Whore. Cam Whore.

Hmm.

Doesn't seem offensive.

#67 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

That sounds like CBS talking. I am joking, but would be quite sad if it were true. You shouldn't have given in.

#68 Posted by Phatmac (5722 posts) -

I AM OFFENDED!

#69 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Winternet said:

Tricky "eXtremer" Klepek.

TriXtremer

#70 Posted by RLLink (367 posts) -

Disregard story, laugh at comments. Thanks for the good laugh, guys.

#71 Posted by dropabombonit (1484 posts) -

TROLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

#72 Posted by Animasta (14649 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

tricky you're the best

#73 Posted by BoomSnapClap113 (181 posts) -

@Ooame said:

Are you people really being offended by "camwhore"? Really? Thats fucking pathetic.

#74 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx said:

That cartoon girl is grabbin' her boobzzzz!

right click - Save Image as

Well played sir, well played. On topic though, all i have to say about this is...

The greatest of them all.

#75 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Eh, honestly who cares about the internet 'society' ever being some hub of civility and intelligence. Chaos reigns

#76 Posted by rmanthorp (3884 posts) -

@Sweep said:

“It's like a police force,” he said. "You are the commissioner in Batman or something, and this is all for things that, when you really break it down, seem really inconsequential."

Objectivity I am 100% certain that all you did was stick a transparent picture of that burger over Batman's head.

YET SOMEHOW I AM IN AWE ONCE AGAIN OF THE MASTERFULLY CRAFTED ARTWORK YOU HAVE CREATED.

Also, this article is like meta meta. It's weirding me out something furious.

#77 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Lol at everyone crying over this.

Kill yourselves.

#78 Edited by Goldanas (545 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

I'm bummed, only for the fact that I know you didn't remove it to appease those offended, but only to make it so the comments didn't entirely focus on the word whore and whether or not it is offensive, and instead on the article at hand.

I'll agree that it was distracting from the meat of the article, and it really was irrelevant, but it was a fairly accurate look at "Internet Society". People are significantly more interested in opinions that are contradictory (perhaps controversial) to their own.

Maybe that's a commentary on how the subject of your article is less fascinating than the use of a single word, but it's more likely that we as a people will always be fascinated by Jerry Springer.

#79 Posted by CaLe (3914 posts) -

This game assumes I have patience. Mistake. BIG mistake.

#80 Posted by jeconner (70 posts) -

nice ending

#81 Edited by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

Americans, the most offended privileged people in the world, why Americans are such offended pussies(whoops! I may offend people, I mean liberated female parts of strong and intelligent women) of the universe, i'll never know.

Americans sure love that badass military from Call of Dudey gams. :P

#82 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@NMC2008 said:

Americans, the most offended privileged people in the world, why Americans are such offended pussies(whoops! I may offend people, I mean liberated female parts of strong and intelligent women) of the universe, i'll never know.

Sir, I find your comments quite offensive to my sensitive American sensibilities, and request that you at least include the words "badass military" somewhere in your post to make me feel better.

#83 Edited by Tennmuerti (8012 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:

What does this article have to say about forums that hasn't already been shown... by actual forums? I'm just not sure what the meta-meta layer of it being a game about a forum has to offer about society other than what we already know. The Giant Bomb forums are a better commentary on society simply because the idiocy is real instead of manufactured and encouraged.

Pretty much this.

Now on to the more important bit:

@DaveC524

said:

... a bunch of people taking the "whore" complaint troll seriously, later...

@patrickklepek said:

@DaveC524 said:

trolled hard

@patrickklepek said:

Also tsk tsk Patrick what about Artistic Integrity!?
Man Bioware really set a bad precedent.
#84 Posted by Lokishot (9 posts) -
#85 Edited by Tennmuerti (8012 posts) -
@Lokishot
Not really appropriate in this particular case, since several people have seen the originator of the "whore" comment for a pretty obvious light hearted trolling it was. As well as the success of the troll not only being determined by the replies taking it seriously but also an actual eventual caving in of the OP and changing of content.

Cheer up mate :)
#86 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

@Example1013 said:

trolling is a art

WHY IS THIS PLAYING AUTOMATICALLY?!?!?

#87 Posted by martyarf (250 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

@Kixxi said:

@DaveC524 said:

Really inappropriate for a front page headline, at least to anyone not knowing what the article is about. Felt insulting.

I agree "whore" is a horrible word and should never be used. There are much better words like "slut", "bitch", "twat", and every woman's favorite, "cunt".

Hilarious! Not at all creepy, weird and hateful.

#88 Posted by Tennmuerti (8012 posts) -
@martyarf said:

@TyCobb said:

@Kixxi said:

@DaveC524 said:

#89 Posted by JarretttheGuy (14 posts) -

@jNerd said:

That was a good read Tricky. I liked your conclusion a lot. I think internet civility will come with time & education.

I want to agree with this, but we always have the influx of young people into the system. A lot of kids troll hard, and it's only when they grow up a little that they understand that that behavior is unacceptable.

Then again, some people never grow up, and will troll forever because they are amused by manipulating people.

One thing Something Awful does right is it's banning. Yes you can buy back in, but how many people are going to spend that cash over and over again. They are brutal, but it keeps an honesty there that other forums lack.

#90 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

Emo Kid, Troll, Hacker, and ________ in all of us.

- Cards Against Humanity

#91 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4932 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@martyarf said:

@TyCobb said:

@Kixxi said:

@DaveC524 said:

Woah! WOAAAH! WOAAAAH!!!

#92 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

@Example1013 said:

trolling is a art

WHY IS THIS PLAYING AUTOMATICALLY?!?!?

I am a god, ofc

#93 Posted by Shaanyboi (1271 posts) -

@martyarf said:

@Lokishot said:

People are insulted by the word "whore"? Are you new to the internet or just a home schooled kid?

Or maybe you're a woman who doesn't like to see gendered insults in a totally inappropriate context?

Right, because the use of the word "whore" (especially considering the context of the article, and that it's in conjunction to form the word camwhore) is obviously directed at all women, everywhere.

Just like if I call someone a "dick", all men everywhere may feel offended because I'm OBVIOUSLY talking about them.

Grow up.

#94 Posted by Animasta (14649 posts) -

@Shaanyboi said:

@martyarf said:

@Lokishot said:

Right, because the use of the word "whore" (especially considering the context of the article, and that it's in conjunction to form the word camwhore) is obviously directed at all women, everywhere.

Just like if I call someone a "dick", all men everywhere may feel offended because I'm OBVIOUSLY talking about them.

Grow up.

yes because whore and dick have the same connotations.

#95 Posted by Luthorcrow (191 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

@Kixxi said:

@DaveC524 said:

Well, if we take George Orwell's essay on "Politics and The English" Language" to heart we should always prefer the simpler, Anglo-Saxon words over more complex foreign words. So yes, instead of "vagina" a writer should always use "cunt", instead of "prostitute" use "whore", etc. Seminal words always have more color and punch.

#96 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Why is the troll music playing?

#97 Posted by Shaanyboi (1271 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Shaanyboi said:

@martyarf said:

@Lokishot said:

Grow up.

yes because whore and dick have the same connotations.

Well they're both "gendered insults". No, actually not really. Whore can apply to both a male AND female, so there goes Martyarf's argument.

And again, we're not even talking about the word "whore". It's not like Patrick's title was "Yo! This one person is a real whore!" No, the word was 'camwhore', which is a word with its OWN connotations (as opposed to someone who is either sexually premiscuous, or is a prostitute), and its own context considering that he's talking about the game Forumwarz where that is the name of a "character class".

If you're getting all upset about something that CLEARLY has its own context, then you need to rethink your priorities. Hell, let's get all upset about the word 'Emo Kid' which demeans all the sad, whiny teenagers out there while we're at it?

#98 Posted by ZombiePie (5588 posts) -

@big_jon said:

Because someone in the comments section decided to have a YouTube video set to auto-play (which isn't cool). It's not a problem anymore.

#99 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

Why? What a genuinely pathetic thing to do.

#100 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

@big_jon said:

Because someone in the comments section decided to have a YouTube video set to auto-play (which isn't cool). It's not a problem anymore.

He did it for the luls.