• 67 results
WildFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By WildFire

Digital Distribution will fail in Canada, we still have our 60GB Internet Download cap's on our "PRO" plans, Business plans in my area which charge upwards of $139.99 to have only have 250GB Cap's, every GB over = $2.00, so I'm always buying boxed games and saving my Bandwith for actually playing them and downloading patches.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Chirag4:  

Haha, thanks, edited.
FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

He speaks the truth, but I don't like it one bit. I wub my physical media. :(

Anarchist4Eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By Anarchist4Eva
@Linkyshinks:  

Not implying he was your president. More of a play on how our corporate media in the US treats Mr. Obama as "The Last Best Hope for the World!" Yes I'm being sarcastic but we're bombarded with this here in the US.  

As to your broader point it still comes down to money. That is true no matter where you are in the world. Govt's can mandate & plan all they want for new technology & development. But private business will always have the final yay & nay vote. As long as this fraudulent idea of a "Global Economy" that makes everyone co-dependent on everyone else exists, money will be the deciding factor my friend.
SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SonicFire

Well, the one thing that most people (like Wada) ignore is the fact that the digital download model kills a liquid second market. Simply put, mass market goods do not work if there is no pricing competition, and no chance to resell. Even more successful markets for downloaded music are characterized by competition (for example, Itunes, Amazon, Lala, etc.). Once we reach a digital "future," maybe the model will change. But PSN and XBL are both emblematic for their inability to drop prices to match demand.  

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Shadow

Japan is crazy about their download-only stuff.  I think he's overestimating how into that sort of thing the rest of the world is.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Anarchist4Eva said:

" @Linkyshinks:   Not implying he was your president. More of a play on how our corporate media in the US treats Mr. Obama as "The Last Best Hope for the World!" Yes I'm being sarcastic but we're bombarded with this here in the US.   As to your broader point it still comes down to money. That is true no matter where you are in the world. Govt's can mandate & plan all they want for new technology & development. But private business will always have the final yay & nay vote. As long as this fraudulent idea of a "Global Economy" that makes everyone co-dependent on everyone else exists, money will be the deciding factor my friend. "

It was hard to tell, I though you assumed I was a fellow American. I can well imagine. We do see it here also. 

It doesn't surprise me that what large companies say hold sway on such decisions in the U.S. The last two presidential terms your country had, show clearly how much power some companies can exert for their own gain. It happens here also, but not anywhere near to the same degree.  

I know. I see where your coming from, I don't like the system at all, far from it.. I was very proactive once upon a time. I still hold such beliefs today.. A system of abuse has been integrated on a global level and it's going to be very hard to remove it by any means. In the last ten years, in this country, I've seen how our government has weakened our voices with laws, how they have slowly but surely made our people here accept that this is the way things work around the world. I personally don't accept it, and I never will. Globalisation lies in stark contrast to how I feel the world should work. I cannot see the masses realizing how fucked up things are in this world unless they are made well aware of how terrible things are for the weakest. 
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58  Edited By veektarius

What we're really jumping the gun on here is the prediction - not that discs are going to become obsolete - but that consoles are going to be obsolete.  Essentially that people will be able to hook up their laptop to a TV and stream games in that manner.  Essentially, all these console manufacturers are just going to throw their comparative advantage in manufacturing high-quality electronics and hand business over to dell, becoming nothing more than software publishers themselves (with perhaps the occasional peripheral).  Ain't going to happen.  Even if all software becomes digitally downloadable on release day, there will be a box that says Sony or Microsoft on it that you can plug into your TV which will do the downloading for you.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By harrisonave

Yeah, I have to agree with a few others here.  I don't think we'll see gaming go completely digital that soon, because I feel like the Internet just isn't anywhere close to being able to handle that yet.  I feel like that's a technology I won't see until the day my children are able to enjoy it for  themselves and I'm a middle-aged, silver-haired, home owning, two car garage having  sort of man.  I'm still living in a apartment with two of my friends, so... that day is still a ways off.   

I also just love the idea of having a physical product in my hands that I can see and smell and touch.  The smell of cracking open a new game...  Ah! There's nothing like it!  It's right up there with that new car smell, or a brand new book.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

@Afroman269 said:
" Not another one of those consoles will die soon statements!!!!!!"
Fixed and this.
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By DukeTogo

If companies like Queer Enix keep shitting out the same game like they have for 20 years then yes, eventually people will tire of playing as a mute androgynous she-male with spiky hair and Michal Jackson's fashion sense, with amnesia, a dead parent or two, some world-killing demon that ends up being a relative, and some kind of airship.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yep consoles are dieing, and Square enix is the main offender putting them into the ground with extending their original IP development times to never existing, and taking 3-4 years to produce a new game in the final fantasy franchise they fall back on releaseing remakes and such to bring up the slack.

Which is killing the industry, I wish the end was nigh for square enix i really do. they piss me off.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By Afroman269
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" Not another one of those consoles will die soon statements!!!!!!"
Fixed and this. "
My name is Afroman269 and I approve this fix.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#64  Edited By Xeiphyer

First off, I think its good that Square Enix is trying to look to the future and prepare for it, most companies won't do that and will inevitably get left behind when the next shift happens.

I like having a physical copy of my game, and I am sure most people would agree, but from the retailer point of view digital distribution is great idea; not having to pay the retailers to sell your games, or spend money printing discs and boxes/boxart, so you get a way higher percentage of profit per sale.

The crappy thing is that it would mean the end of preorder bonuses =( and videogame specialty shops like gamestop =P

But hey, its called progress, and its impossible to see the full effects it will have on the future, but its pretty safe to say that nearly every developer wants digital distribution, they just need to find a way to do it without developers getting angry (not that it would matter that much since they aren't carrying their products anymore).

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By jmrwacko

There's a trend towards online distribution and network implementation - so much so that most applications will probably be web-based in the near future, if the Google Chrome OS idea takes off. But I feel like there will always be a need for better and trendier hardware, even if local processing is completely eliminated. You can't access a network without some sort of Internet-capable device, and peripherals will always be essential.

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Cadmus

Good.  That means GameStop will go out of business.  Those people are villains.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That's true, they already tested out a similar server sort of thing with no consoles where it's all streaming. Still at least pc's won't die out next gen, everyone will still have a computer which they can easily upgrade to play pc games and graphics are not going to be compromised by bandwidth and what they can stream. However that might also kill pc gaming considering there will be less suport for disc media and no one wants to put together a pc anymore and just stream it on consoles. I don't like the idea games will be streamed one day from an outside server.