The end of Videogames on Youtube is upon us (2014)

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It looks like Youtube will become a graveyard for videogames in 2014. People already confirming that this is legit so I would not even put this up as an Rumor anymore.

Whilst this news might not affect a vast number of people, for some it’s further proof that the powers that be are not happy with the growing number of people that are earning money using their products. Namely gamers uploading gameplay footage either raw or with voice over and then earning money from advertising revenue on Youtube. For most people who are not partnered with a network such as Machinima, uploading gameplay videos often requires a random check which asks the uploader to provide proof of permission to monetize the video or proof of ownership of the content outright. This often leads to a period where the video does not run any adverts until approved. If suitable proof isn’t provided then no adverts are run alongside the video and the uploader doesn’t get paid. The process is shrouded in such a grey area, considering the nature of some videos which put more effort in than simply uploading a trailer or gameplay clip. Users can claim fair usage rights, which ultimately doesn’t always work and so leaves some uploaders earning nothing for their efforts, no matter how great or small that is. It can be debated whether it’s right or wrong for people to earn money using other peoples derivative works in context of making something unique from it, however, it seems the industry is adopting an overall tougher stance on this.

Most savvy gamers will have joined one of the major networks who take a cut from earnings but bypass the random checks which has meant no delays in earning potential as soon as a video is posted. However, that’s all about to change, as from early next year Youtube will be random checking videos regardless of whether the uploader channel is partnered with a network or not. The random check will take between 2 and 48 hours, but it’s not clear how long the process takes if suitable permissions are provided. Networks will be able to categorize channels into groups with either a Managed, or Affiliate status, with the latter most likely being more common. Affiliates will have random videos checked as per the new rules whereas those channels who are Managed might be able to avoid it.

This news will come as quite a blow to many let’s players, vloggers and channels posting official trailers and won’t necessarily stop them, but will impact their earning potential. For some, the motive of getting paid for doing something they enjoy is a great benefit, and obviously video game footage is popular with viewers, remove the financial benefit, and it’s likely some will stop producing videos.

The industry has seen a shift in the last year towards this action, what with Nintendo taking over advertising revenue from videos featuring their content. Microsoft also posted revised terms and conditions for its content earlier this year. With the advent of the PS4 and Xbox One allowing gamers to upload videos, stream gameplay via Twitch etc. It’s clear publishers are keen on gamers posting videos, but only under their own controlled environments where financial gain for the uploader isn’t a factor. To round things off, Sony is not allowing direct video capture from the newly released PS4 until it rolls out an update…whenever that is. Times are changing for Youtubers, and perhaps channels will need to adapt when it comes to video production and produce more unique content that reaches beyond simple gameplay videos and trailers.

For those interested, here’s a list of some publishers and their stances on video game monetization.

* Activision - Does not allow derivative works per their terms. See 3. License.

* Bungie - Specifically says not to create derivative works from their software in their terms. Probably why Halo is a pain.

* Capcom - OK if you aren’t making any money. See this FAQ post on their forums.

* Codemasters - Does not grant permission to monetize videos. Posting videos is accepted.

* GungHo Online - These guys do stuff like Ragnarok Online. Videos OK, monetization not OK.

* Microsoft - Videos are completely fine as long as you are not paid. They say part of this includes Halo in their rules, so Bungie may or may not still get on your case. Check out the rules here.

* Natsume - These guys are famous for Harvest Moon among others. From an email they allow videos without monetization.

* Naughty Dog - The Last of Us, Uncharted, Jak and Daxter… great games, but they don’t want you to use ANY of their footage (said via email).

* Nintendo - Encourages videos (especially Let’s Plays), but may decide to monetize your video. The exact wording is on Go Nintendo.

* NIS America - Famous for stuff like Danganrompa and Disgaea. Encourages videos, monetization not allowed.

* Rockstar / Take-Two Interactive - Encourages videos unless they are just straight cutscene footage (Let’s Plays with cutscenes OK). Pretty sure they don’t want things monetized. See the full rules here.

* Sega - Does not give any license for YouTube footage .

* SNK - They do not give license for derivative works.

* Square Enix - Does not grant individual permission to use their works, but DOES grant permission to larger entities. .

* TecmoKoei - Famous for stuff like Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. Specifically in the words of the email, “TecmoKoei does allow people to make video reviews and other similar works, but we do not typically allow monetization.”

* TellTale Games - The Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, Sam and Max… these guys have some really good stuff. Let’s Plays are definitely allowed, monetization is not. See this permission post on their forums.

Courtesy of FrozenFoxy (FS Forums).

Posted by Robert Cram - Visit Website

http://cramgaming.com/youtube-getting-tough-video-game-monetization-12989/

So what does this mean? A lot of people will leave YouTube that is for sure since many of them are earning money with their Let's plays and other video game related videos. Honestly I think this is a very very bad situation and YouTubers will most likely go with all their might against this. Yes Twitch has become a really great way of streaming and watching video games but not being able to upload these playthroughs on YouTube anymore will hurt many of these streamers.

2014 just became a lot more scary in terms of Videogame footage and content. By this way this also means no Giantbomb Quicklook content on YouTube as well.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Ill believe it when I see it. As much bad press as this would garner these companies the bad PR wouldn't be worth it.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of their articles have any comments.

This seems like clickbait from a small site.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

this is what sessler was losing his shit over if true.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darji

@demoskinos said:

Ill believe it when I see it. As much bad press as this would garner these companies the bad PR wouldn't be worth it.

A lot of people already confirm this to be true at Neogaf. This seems legit.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Megaton if true, but the source seems...not very trustworthy? Who has confirmed this?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be interesting to see what the fallout of this would be. I'd feel bad for the Youtube stars who make a living off of playing video games though if it were true.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Okay, I hadn't seen that thread before for some reason (can't get onto GAF right now, is it down for the stupid VGX?). Still, will wait and see on this. It wouldn't surprise me if there was more of a backlash from devs/publishers on people making money from Let's Plays though, so interesting times. Probably good for GB if true, if we're seeing it from that angle.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By themangalist

Interesting. I foresee the rise of Metacafe as your primary source for all your playthroughs and amateur commentary, along with idiotic screaming and over-the-top acting.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You tellin' me PewDiePie won't be able to make more videos?! Fuck that shit.

abara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

It would be interesting to see what the fallout of this would be. I'd feel bad for the Youtube stars who make a living off of playing video games though if it were true.

no one should feel bad for people who make a living off of youtube

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By slyspider

Welp. Fuck that who will be the next video service we go to.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Insectecutor

How does guys making ad revenue on their Youtube videos adversely affect a publisher's revenue? Is it that people are watching the major story beats on Youtube and not buying the game, or is it that people are seeing bugs, glitches, or simply a cackhanded playthrough and getting turned off? I don't get it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@andorski said:

I support these dumb rules if it means PewDiePie stops being a thing. Fuck that guy the most.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Better get a day job, Egoraptor.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By FengShuiGod

I always viewed Youtube as THE giant but this really opens up opportunities for other companies if true.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Youtube video game videos are a big deal, regardless of how any of us feel about them.

To have all this stuff collapse real quickly... I'm interested to see where it goes, is all.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I guess two best friends are out of business.

falpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

He can still make videos; he just won't be paid for them.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

He can still make videos; he just won't be paid for them.

Yeah and 99% of these people will not do it anymore than because they are Living from this. Like TWo best Friends for example. Like Yoagcast and so on.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Would that affect Yogscast? I mean, on Steam, I saw that they have a partnership with Sega for a christmas charity stream.

If it affected Yogscast, that might be a little awkward, haha.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real or not most of it seems okay with vids so long as you don't make money from them. Seems fair.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TowerSixteen

@darji said:

@amyggen said:

@darji: Megaton if true, but the source seems...not very trustworthy? Who has confirmed this?

Several people on Neogaf who could an email about this from YouTube and partners.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730378

Person in the thread claimed that every video was gonna be checked, and as an affiliate, has gotten a few emails about it.

Thing is, that would be huge news if were really that simple. Huge. And if they were emailing all their affiliates about that, that's a lot of people who would be informed- people who are impacted and already run a youtube channel. That thread started yesterday night. Yet not a single other site has a word of it? Not a single major LPer has breathed a word? Google turns up nothing? (Unless I'm failng at google)

It's not impossible, but something's fishy about that.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadpancakes: Of course it would affect Yogcast. I would imagine they make most of their money through Youtube.

Of the bigger Let's Play guys, I (kinda) like Two Best Friends, but that's it. Still, of course hope this isn't true.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@darji said:

@amyggen said:

Several people on Neogaf who could an email about this from YouTube and partners.

OH Neogaf confirmed it? Must be true then.

Also having your video checked doesn't automatically mean you can't earn ad revenue anyway? The article mainly makes it sound like there might be a 2-48 hour delay in the start of revenue. Which is inconsequential.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: I was referring more to the fact that they're more connected than the smaller channels (at least from my understanding)

And besides, I'm sure they're one of the few that could get away with making exclusively videos on indie games on their own website. Not that they'd be as successful if it really had to come to that, but I don't think they'll stop like Darji suggested. Not sure about Two Best Friends, 'cause I'm not as familiar.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Skytylz

@darji said:

@amyggen said:

Also having your video checked doesn't automatically mean you can't earn ad revenue anyway? The article mainly makes it sound like there might be a 2-48 hour delay in the start of revenue. Which is inconsequential.

As much as people love to hate NeoGAF, their strict rules mean they are somewhat trustworthy and they have a lot of good insider sources.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I support this. People actually have to go outside now. Do something more constructive. I see now downside.

I think from a publisher standpoint, they just hate to see all their hard work being used to gain easy money by some people sitting in a chair talking about absolutely nothing important while playing their work.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By reckless_x

Call me bitter but I think people making money for playing video games is dumb.

Edit: Since I keep being quoted on this. Allow me to further expand that this was a very reductive sentence. Competitive play, actual video production and such that require time and skill are omitted from the argument, but a guy screaming while playing Amnesia is what I think is a dumb way to be making money.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@amyggen said:

That is the farthest thing from being inconsequential. Unless it goes viral, most videos get the vast majority of their views in the first 48 hours.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hatking

Hey remember how that one upstart video game website streamed that one really obscure Japanese action horror game and then that game fucking rocketed beyond projected sales and became a cult hit warranting a port to other platforms?

Companies that think streaming games is going to cost them sales are deluded to a troubling degree. These people have only the loosest grasp of the internet and human behavior. And guess what? They run this shit. I'm so glad this industry gives zero fucks about progress of culture against the loss of potential sales.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'd rather see people made videos for fun than profit. That's how it all started before it blew up anyway. I just don't trust anything anyone might say if they're being paid yet have no professional obligation. I do occasionally enjoy content from Rev3's channel though, so hopefully professional outlets that just happen to use Youtube don't get adversely affected by this.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nekroskop

"Can't earn money on your videos"/"No monotizing" about damn time. Those zero effort day one LPers can get real jobs now. The LP community has been tained for the past years by garbage tier LPs from the likes of Smosh, Game Grumps and Pewdiepie. They've sucked enough money out if a product they didn't even make. Time for the OG LPers to take the power back. using LP Archive or Vimeo

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeesus, while I agree that creators have the right to do this if they wish, lot of stupid hate here. Wonder if they'ed all of told the MST3K'ers to "get a real job". I don't even watch LP's, but anyone who utters that line with a straight face like a bitter grandparent is being a fuckwit.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Darji

Call me bitter but I think people making money for playing video games is dumb.

Yeah and some people think the job you have is dumb as well. It is their way of making money and they put a lot of time and work into it. Yes not all or most of them but the ones who are successful with this.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Can't earn money on your videos"/"No monotizing" about damn time. Those zero effort day one LPers can get real jobs now. The LP community has been tained for the past years by garbage tier LPs from the likes of Smosh, Game Grumps and Pewdiepie. They've sucked enough money out if a product they didn't even make. Time for the OG LPers to take the power back. using LP Archive or Vimeo

You're incredibly petty.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@garfield518: I want LPs to be informative, well edited and have good commentary? Petty it is then.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SomeJerk

No more recording and putting a game up on youtube day one and making money on it?

Good.

Because for some strange reason, the ones not being monetizing youtubers are so much more respectable, some of them are people I could consider having a good conversation with in real life, some I would lend more than a cup of sugar.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeesus, while I agree that creators have the right to do this if they wish, lot of stupid hate here. Wonder if they'ed all of told the MST3K'ers to "get a real job". I don't even watch LP's, but anyone who utters that line with a straight face like a bitter grandparent is being a fuckwit.

This.

Great idea guys! Let's funnel all of the people who make videos about video games into the job market, so we have more people to compete with to get those "real jobs!"

It's always just jealousy or an unwillingness to understand that causes all the hate.

I understand when people dislike to newer less effort-oriented style of those videos, but the "get a real job" argument is such bs.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By soulcake

Probably the end for LP's.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Garfield518

@garfield518: I want LPs to be informative, well edited and have good commentary? Petty it is then.

It's fine to not like content, but to be happy that people could potentially lose their livelihoods and that they should "get real jobs now" makes you a petty, bitter person.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nekroskop

@garfield518: Most of the people I mentioned are millionaires. They won't suffer at all. It's sad about the rest of them, but they knew what they were getting into from the start. Most of the people who are in it for the money make such a zero effort in making videos that it's pathetic. 10 minute chunks in 400 parts with maximum ads. Why anyone would ever want to watch something like that is beyond me.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Fine but Game Grumps? Come on man there are plenty of those channels that are literally sins upon the face of humanity and your gonna go after Game Grumps?

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always wondered what it's like in the alternate hipster dimension, where quality is automatically inversely proportional to compensation.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@garfield518: Most of the people I mentioned are millionaires. They won't suffer at all. Sad about the rest of them, but they knew what they were getting into.

You mentioned three of the most popular channels ever.

I doubt people like Two Best Friends or Peanut Butter Gamer will agree with you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers