The end of Videogames on Youtube is upon us (2014)

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't help but notice that there are still video games on Youtube.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#402  Edited By Wolfgame

@crembaw:

No one was saying their weren't any games on youtube, these vids aren't being removed. The monetization rights of these videos is what is changing.

Ostratego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the face of YouTube's ban hammer, it's hard not to see the real problem here.

This happened with Tested, where their YT videos had their audio removed because it violated the wishes of some music copyright "holders". News stations and other entities were assuming control of royalty-free music that wasn't theirs to begin with.

The same thing is happening here: entities that have nothing to do with the IP holders of some of these games are coming out of the woodwork and claiming DCMA violations for stuff that isn't even theirs.

I'm just imagining a perfect storm happening where there will be a class-action lawsuit against Google because YouTube does not verify whether DCMA violation claims are made by their proper owners.

I think that what Google is doing right now is against the spirit of copyright.

madmanmaple89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theres many video game personalities on youtube that are already leaving. Classic Game Room is already directing subscribers to go watch their latest review on their website. At least they have somewhere else to publish their content, but other smaller gaming channels do not have the money to make a website and are going to have to see if youtube fixes this.

Loading Video...

These guys have been reviewing games since 1999 and know what they are doing. I've been subscribed to their youtube channel and I'll go wherever they take me to just to see all of these classic games.

Classic Game Room is being forced out!?

*starts crying*

Of all people, why him?! What did he do to anybody!? THOSE BASTARDS!!!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@turboman: I can read all of that as "things are bad, they will continue to get worse, we should accept this".

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

@turboman: I can read all of that as "things are bad, they will continue to get worse, we should accept this".

No Caption Provided

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407  Edited By Ares42

@ares42 said:

@stonyman65: Well, I'm probably just poorly informed, but according to the article in the OP what will happen is that videos won't get monetized at all during the first cruical hours after being published. Is that wrong ? Could you point me to a source that validates that they will monetize and take the money themselves ?

Watch TotalBiscuit content patch covering it or AngryJoe's second video, or better yet Adam Sessler's hangout chat with a few people on the topic. All of those videos seem to cover everything pretty well. I'm pretty sure those are all posted in this thread the in the last few pages. I know I've posted 2 of AJs videos so I would start with those.

After having watched all 3 videos I still haven't gotten any definite answers as to what happens to the revenue when a video gets claimed. In fact, the most informative source of information I found was YTs own help pages. If the fact that other companies can hijack your revenue stream is the major issue here it sure seems lost on all of these commentators, as they spent most of their time addressing completely different issues with the system. YTs description even seems to indicate that if a third party decides to monetize your video you're not excluded from monetizing it yourself, but that's probably up for interpretation (and something someone that has had to deal with it could easily answer).

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408  Edited By Wolfgame

@ares42 said:

@stonyman65 said:

@ares42 said:

@stonyman65: Well, I'm probably just poorly informed, but according to the article in the OP what will happen is that videos won't get monetized at all during the first cruical hours after being published. Is that wrong ? Could you point me to a source that validates that they will monetize and take the money themselves ?

Watch TotalBiscuit content patch covering it or AngryJoe's second video, or better yet Adam Sessler's hangout chat with a few people on the topic. All of those videos seem to cover everything pretty well. I'm pretty sure those are all posted in this thread the in the last few pages. I know I've posted 2 of AJs videos so I would start with those.

After having watched all 3 videos I still haven't gotten any definite answers as to what happens to the revenue when a video gets claimed. In fact, the most informative source of information I found was YTs own help pages. If the fact that other companies can hijack your revenue stream is the major issue here it sure seems lost on all of these commentators, as they spent most of their time addressing completely different issues with the system. YTs description even seems to indicate that if a third party decides to monetize your video you're not excluded from monetizing it yourself, but that's probably up for interpretation (and something someone that has had to deal with it could easily answer).

To clear that up, whomever successfully claims the content under this content matching id system becomes the recipient of any and all ad revenue that is split between youtube and the new company making the claim. The video still works by normal appearance, nothing changes, ads play but the uploader is receiving no compensation. I hope that clears it up.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: Does it happen instantly ? What happens if you dispute it ? How does it even work in cases like the THQ claims ? Is there any real source of information about the details of this anywhere ? What is even a successful claim ?

I completely agree that this sounds like it could be illegal, but it's hard to know without knowing some important details (which seems to be desperately lacking).

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

@wolfgame: Does it happen instantly ? What happens if you dispute it ? How does it even work in cases like the THQ claims ? Is there any real source of information about the details of this anywhere ? What is even a successful claim ?

I completely agree that this sounds like it could be illegal, but it's hard to know without knowing some important details (which seems to be desperately lacking).

Until it is clear who owns these rights the ability to earn money is suspended which means you can not earn any money of this video. So even if your are right you will not get your money back you lost due to this.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@ares42 said:

Until it is clear who owns these rights the ability to earn money is suspended which means you can not earn any money of this video. So even if your are right you will not get your money back you lost due to this.

Well, that's sorta my point. If that is the case it means whoever is claiming it isn't making money either, which sounds fine. The problem would be if companies got carte blanche to claim stuff and start making money off it without proving it's theirs.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it happen instantly ? Yes, when it's triggered in the content matching ID system

What happens if you dispute it ? Good question, unlike many companies youtube itself doesn't have a customer service team to handle this, especially at the scale this whole thing is growing.

How does it even work in cases like the THQ claims ? Well, what we are seeing in many cases is that the publishers are indicating they didn't make these claims, so the real question is who is posing as THQ to make these content id claims?(This is beyond just THQ too, fake claimants are posing as publishers, both big and small)

Is there any real source of information about the details of this anywhere ? I'd say we can gather a strong idea of how this is developing based on the numerous user accounts of these instances, I believe youtube has said very little on this, outside of a PR spiel that they anticipate it will strengthen their ongoing relationship with respect to content creators

What is even a successful claim ? For many a successful claim is receiving an email that your video has been matched in the content id system, with no reasonable recourse at this point.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Having listened to TotalBiscuit's view on this, it seems like something that YouTuber's will iron out soon enough. There has already been a huge backlash to this happening from majordevelopers, so I think it's time the internet sits back and lets the people who can actually change this, change it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414  Edited By OurSin_360

Seems like BS, for one it's free advertisement and secondly they get revenue from the ads on the videos as well. Only thing i can see is them being worried about spoilers, otherwise it's pretty much free press

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame I know, I was just taking a cheap shot at the thread's fatalistic title. Maybe undeserved, but eh.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@spraynardtatum said:

No Caption Provided

It's always good to listen to Vaas. He definitely had the answers. No ulterior motives on his end.

He would have killed you if you didn't continue to fight back over and over again. Maybe Vaas was just a realist too.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ostratego: yup. Just think for a second... what happens when they start doing content ID Match for music? For movies? For anything that *might* have a copyright attached to it? Forget videogames. THATS when things get scary.

We need to stop this now while we still can.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the users that aren't partners with YT and don't make money out of LPs will continue to upload video game footage and LPs? If so, i am ok with that.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#420  Edited By stonyman65

@wilshere: It looks like this is only affecting affiliate partners - not managed partners or anyone else who isn't a partner. So far it seems that as long as you aren't monetizing your videos you are okay.... At least for now....

count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 13

Apparently there's a new chapter going on with this. For one of my videos that featured gameplay footage, I was directed to a form I needed to fill out in order to monetize where I had to list the name of the game, the publisher, and I either had to upload a PDF of a document showing that I had the publisher's approval to use the gameplay footage, or I had to link to a Terms of Use document that would permit monitization of gameplay footage.

This is of particular note because:

1. It doesn't accommodate for Fair Use, so use of gameplay footage for purposes of a review is out - especially games where the publisher has shut down (like THQ).
  2. Twitter statements granting permission to monetize gameplay footage, like the tweets from @Capcom_Unity, don't count (I tried that for my video, which used footage from Remember Me). This is notable because Capcom US has steadfastly refused to put up an official Terms of Use document, while otherwise being okay with people putting ads on their gameplay videos.

In other words, with this new adjustment of YouTube's policy - Fair Use doesn't exist, and nothing is permitted unless it's expressly permitted... specifically for video games. Everything else is business as usual.

This leads to the added bummer of the fact that unless you have a setup that allows streaming over Twitch, there isn't anywhere else to go to monetize your videos. Blip.Tv has changed their setup to only accept established content producers, and they specifically do not want Let's Plays or long sequences of gameplay footage. This is one of the reasons why Angry Joe and Lotus Prince left Blip. DailyMotion runs ads, but there's no way for content producers to get any of that.

The Vlogbrothers (Hang & John Green) started Subbable as a way for content producers to have a more direct financial relationship with their fans, without having to content with the monetization issues of YouTube & Blip, but Subbable doesn't work for smaller creators. Specifically, if you want to apply for Subbable, you need to have at least 5,000 unique followers. That will work for guys like Angry Joe, Tobuscus, or TotalBiscuit, but not for the guys who are trying to reach those lofty heights. The best alternate option out there is, I think, Patreon.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422  Edited By Darji

Looks like Jonathan Blow got a contant ID claim for uploading a Video of his own game the Witness XD

“I feel like Google [and] YouTube are just unprepared for the reality of how things are made in the current era and what relationships look like,” said Blow. “What they are doing only makes sense when most things are owned by a small number of corporations. Well, that’s the 1950s through ’80s. …”

For Blow, he also wants people to know that he approves of people making videos of The Witness on YouTube or broadcasting it to Twitch.

“I think it is totally fine for people to broadcast playthroughs of The Witness,” said Blow. “On this I am in agreement on this with almost everyone who makes video games — except, seemingly, Nintendo, and the only reason they would feel that way is if the higher-ups are extremely, corporately out-of-touch.”

http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/13/youtubes-out-of-control-content-id-system-even-flagged-jonathan-blow-for-posting-footage-of-his-own-game/

Avatar image for deactivated-5efbd592e1d91
deactivated-5efbd592e1d91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More room for cat videos!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like we got out first real big victim Watchmojo a non gaming channel with over 1 million 200k subscribers got shot down. Before this mess they never got any claim at all but now they have been shut down an according to their facebook page they do not even know why. Looking at their site they are doing a lot of top 10 stuff but this should certainly be fair use.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WatchMojo

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#425  Edited By ADAMWD

I don't see why any company would have an issue with someone profiting off of footage of their games. You can't simply post videos of you playing games and bam instant cash. These guys are like radio DJs. Radio DJs aren't popular and making a living solely because of the music they play. Yes, it is absolutely a factor but it's their personality and commentary that keeps people coming back.

And at the end of the day, they aren't taking any money from video game companies, they're driving customers to them. Or away if it's a shitty game which is probably where this spawned from but fuck you make shitty games and try to sweep it under the rug, these companies need to be held accountable.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I could personally tell this Google algorithm to fuck off.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

The Angry Video Game nerd is going to be really angry about this

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By Darji
No Caption Provided

This thing is broken beyond believe and if you believe it or not it seems they RECLAIM shit that was successfully disputed as well. Someone needs to sue the shit out of Google.....

here is a long long post on Neogaf about all the shit that happened again yesterday/today

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735721

Also Konami got flagged for content Konami owns.......

Fun fact! Konami got flagged for content owned by Konami on youtube.com/Konami... We're still trying to get in contact with YouTube to knock off these shinanigans while trying to give the green light to those that were also unfairly flagged for owned content by Konami. We're right in there with you guys... がんばって.