#1 Edited by ChoboBot (109 posts) -

I remember in the early days of the PS3 and XBOX 360 the game 2 Days 2 Vegas which was promising to be a open-world graphical powerhouse looking to take on GTA. I wonder what happened to the game and whether the studio is even still about these days. http://www.steelmonkeys.com/en/projects/2dtv_game

#2 Edited by Video_Game_King (34611 posts) -

Can we just make this thread our place to talk about what we believe were the forgotten games of the last generation? Or is somebody going to insist that I'm not the person to make that claim, and then smugly refer to me as "that Fragile Dreams weirdo"?

#3 Posted by Pie (6936 posts) -

Was that the Vegas simulator that they talked about on the bomb cast way back then?

#4 Edited by TheHT (10281 posts) -

That's not vaporware right? That's just flat out cancelled? Anyone remember that old tech demo Project *something*? I just remember them showing an Ogre and later some archer gameplay. It was old, like way old. But still from this gen. Err, last gen. PS3/360. Bah.

Anyways, I thought this would be about what games didn't get much attention, and came in here to mention 3D Dot Game Heroes. Neat little Zelda-esque game.

#5 Posted by ChoboBot (109 posts) -

@pie: Have no idea, all I remember from the game was the screenshots and the backstory of the game, it was never released.

#6 Posted by davidwitten22 (1703 posts) -

Can we just make this thread our place to talk about what we believe were the forgotten games of the last generation? Or is somebody going to insist that I'm not the person to make that claim, and then smugly refer to me as "that Fragile Dreams weirdo"?

Yes.

#7 Posted by ChoboBot (109 posts) -
#8 Posted by i8Donuts (91 posts) -
#9 Posted by Coafi (1433 posts) -

The Last Guardian.

#10 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

wasn't Rockstar making some spy game? The fuck happened to that?

Also, they claim to be working on Rainbow Six Patriots, but it's been like 5 years. They should have capitalized on Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Now they got tech from Patriots inside of The Division...

#11 Posted by Pie (6936 posts) -
#12 Posted by development (1589 posts) -

Remember that overly-ambitious first-person RPG that had a fake demo showing the player wield a crossbow while a bunch of crazy shit was happening all around? Like, things were flying buy, ogres were stompin' around, etc. On top of that, it looked amazing (for the time, at least). Well, whatever that was, it never got finished, to no one's surprise.

Then there was that action-rpg "Pirates" game that Jeff often brings up. That looked neat.

Then there was that Aliens: Colonial Marines game that was supposed to be released. Remember how good that looked? Wish they actually released it.

@theht said:

Anyone remember that old tech demo Project *something*? I just remember them showing an Ogre and later some archer gameplay. It was old, like way old. But still from this gen.

Oh, that's the first game I was talking about. Yeah, I wish something that ambitious was remotely possible. Realistically, something like that would require so much crazy man-power that it'd have to be a sure-fire hit backed up by EA or Activision, which would never happen of course.

#13 Posted by mosespippy (3751 posts) -

Also, they claim to be working on Rainbow Six Patriots, but it's been like 5 years. They should have capitalized on Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Now they got tech from Patriots inside of The Division...

You might be mistaking the canceled SOE PS3 MMO The Agency with Rockstar's Agent. I don't think they've ever said anything about Agent other than the name.

#14 Posted by RawknRo11a (508 posts) -

What about Prey 2, that last trailer they put out look so cool! And now it looks like it may never come out.

#15 Edited by automatontribe (186 posts) -

@development: Holy shit, what was it called again? Project...over something. I remember going to their website years and years after the trailers came out and it seemed like they were still developing it.

#16 Posted by soupbones (258 posts) -
#17 Posted by narujoe93 (2438 posts) -

you already know

#18 Edited by automatontribe (186 posts) -

@development: Project Offset! That's what it was called. Cancelled 2010, after a development period of 6 years. Yeesh.

#19 Posted by GreggD (4444 posts) -

@vinny_says said:

You might be mistaking the canceled SOE PS3 MMO The Agency with Rockstar's Agent. I don't think they've ever said anything about Agent other than the name.

No, they totally did. It's supposed to take place during the height of the Cold War, with open-world espionage. Also, I've said this elsewhere, but...anybody remember LA Noire when it was announced? We knew next to nothing about it for several years, when all of a sudden that had a ton of stuff to show. Something tells me Agent got pushed back for the new gen, and we'll start seeing massive coverage once it gets properly revealed.

#20 Posted by AMyggen (1997 posts) -

Okay, I know that Epic Mickey was actually released, but does anyone remember the concept art for that game? Hoooooly shit that game could've been amazing if they went all out dark like that art suggests. Instead we got the released, pretty mediocre version :(

God, what could've been...

#21 Edited by Pr1mus (3514 posts) -
#22 Posted by pyromagnestir (3961 posts) -

I remember thinking the idea behind this game was pretty cool.

http://www.giantbomb.com/winter/3030-25112/

There really aren't enough good Wii games that use the Wii mote like a flashlight. I'm a sucker for that shit. Except in the case of Fragile Dreams. That game wasn't so great. The only person who thinks otherwise is that Fragile Dreams weirdo.

(Fragile Dreams was pretty good)

#23 Posted by rachelepithet (1256 posts) -

Untitled Western Shooter!

#24 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

that pirates RPG sounded awesome :(

#25 Posted by Pepsiman (2449 posts) -

For the record, people interested in this sort of stuff will probably find Unseen64.net to be well worth their while. They used to specialize in older consoles, but now they cover pretty much everything as long as they can find material of some sort to post and that almost certainly includes the games being floated in this thread and then some. You'll have to look elsewhere if you want leaked prototype builds to play, but as a screenshot and video repository, they're pretty hard to beat. Just don't mind the English grammar in spots. I think it's run by an Italian native?

#26 Edited by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -
#27 Posted by Jimbo (9710 posts) -
#28 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

#29 Posted by Mento (2258 posts) -

I've championed the Wii's less well-known library a few times. Off the top of my head: Elebits, A Boy and His Blob, Little King's Story, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Zack & Wiki are all excellent games that went largely ignored. I didn't count Xenoblade, because at least it was included in the GotG.

Actually, I suspect people forget that Metroid Prime 3 was this generation because the first two were GameCube games. I still maintain that it was the high point. All those disparate worlds were so well-realised and it was one of the first Wii games I can recall where the Wii Remote controls didn't feel too forced or gimmicky (and was a big reason why the trilogy got rereleased shortly thereafter, I imagine).

#30 Posted by MechaKirby (181 posts) -
#31 Edited by csl316 (7359 posts) -

Cloning Clyde was a fun little XBLA game from '06. Puzzle platformer with a ton of personality. NinjaBee put out a couple neat, low key games over the years. A World of Keflings, Outpost Kaloki X, and Dash of f'in Destruction along with Clyde.

#32 Edited by Seppli (9742 posts) -

Currently playing Dead Island. It's admittedly one-note (and a hint boring because of it), but it's also fun-freaking-tastic. Its Zombie Apocalypse athmosphere is spot-on, and the analog weapon swinging control scheme is a revelation. It had some fanfare for a while, but it's fallen off the radar quite a bit I feel. Few are talking it up anymore.

Actually playing Dead Island myself has pushed up Dying Light quite a few places on my Most Wanted list. So looking forward to the games of 2014. It's going to be amazing *knocks on wood*.

#33 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11008 posts) -

Hey guys, remember Dead Phoenix? Wait, wrong generation.

I dunno, that King's Quest reboot that Telltale was supposed to be working on?

#34 Posted by BisonHero (5671 posts) -

Alright, so this thread has transitioned from "cool games that became vapourware" to "games that got little attention but were kind of cool", right?

I found myself oddly liking Infinite Space on the DS. The battle system kinda wasn't very good, and was largely a JRPG about making sure you just have more ships in your...party than the enemies do in random encounters. And then eventually your engineering bay (and engineering crew) are good enough that you regen so much HP between battles that you can kinda autogrind mindlessly forever without having to repair at a planet. And having a "carrier" in your fleet/party allows you to launch swarms of fighters which are BROKEN AS FUCK. Still, some of the ship designs were cool, if a little boxy.

But the way you assigned where all the rooms were within the ship frame blueprint you bought was mega cool, even though there were WAY too many stats involved that were barely explained. But the rooms were all like Tetris pieces (or sometimes many more squares than a Tetris piece), and finding a way to include all the rooms and systems you want was super cool, in an era before FTL. And you could assign characters you meet to various crew slots, and they might confer certain bonuses to that aspect of the ship.

And I found the story surprisingly deep and it managed to come up with some moments that gave me pause at how sad and effective they were. It was surprisingly well localized. Though maybe this all just speaks to me having not gotten deep into a sci-fi shounen anime in a while, because Infinite Space's story is ANIME AS FUCK, but I haven't watched one of those in a while. Maybe it came off better due to those circumstances. But given that the game is made by a dev that VERY recently worked on ero games, it's surprisingly not full of everybody wanting to fuck the main character. There's only this one hot late-20s lady who sorta has a soft spot for the teen main character, but it's more like an Evangelion Shinji-Misato thing that everybody kinda knows isn't going to seriously happen. The only weirdo thing is all these implications that the main character and his sister would make a cute couple, but worry not! They don't fuck, and what happens to the two of them is super fucking insane but not in a creepy way at all.

I might write a blog about that game, come to think of it. I'd add "maybe I should replay it", but Jesus that game is like 90 hours long (though I did grind out some money at one point), and it had enough minor rough spots that I'm not entirely jonesing to play it all again. Still, blog post.

Or maybe I should go watch a cool sci-fi shounen anime.

#35 Posted by ILikePopCans (713 posts) -

Darkest of Days is a game I really like mostly because they cram so much shitty AI soldiers at once in the game, and shooting roman soldiers with future guns is cool.