• 119 results
#51 Edited by Quarters (1856 posts) -

I'll pour one out for Alpha Protocol, Binary Domain, and Condemned 1/2.

#52 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

Basically any game that doesn't have a sequel

Inversion, one of the Forgotten Gems this generation.

#53 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Muramasa

#54 Edited by oldenglishC (1007 posts) -

All the mentions of Nier and Valkyria Chronicles (AND Resonance of Fate, AND Lost Odyssey) on this topic show the high ratio of super geniuses on this site. It also shows that everybody else needs to play more JRPG's and games named Nier.

#55 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (742 posts) -

Everyone needs to play Nier. All four times.

#56 Edited by Mento (2800 posts) -

All three Operation Rainfall games. Xenoblade was generally well-received by people who are into JRPGs, but The Last Story and Pandora's Tower saw nothing but tumbleweeds after release. Pandora's Tower especially hasn't seen a single forum post since it came out in the US, and mine continues to be the only review we have for the game on this site.

Thought it was interesting that two of the Two Best Friends menagerie liked The Last Story enough to include it in their top tens for last year. Seemed like they appreciated the short but sweet total runtime, which has me curious about where JRPGs ought to be heading in the future.

I could throw dozens more examples at y'all, but it's mostly Japanese/JRPG stuff that the Western world has apparently moved on from. No reason to beat a dead senpai-kun any further. I will say that there are a hell of a lot more Wii games out there that people instinctively ignored for reasons pertaining to that system's reputation. "Babby casual console" and whatnot. Since the Wii U's the only backwards compatible console this gen I don't imagine they'll stay undiscovered for long.

#57 Posted by Thevamp25 (234 posts) -

Earth Defence Force 2017. Most fun ive had with a game in a long time. 2025 cant come soon enough.

#58 Posted by stryker1121 (1580 posts) -

• Singularity was somewhat low key at the time, but I really liked it.

I always mention Singularity when one of these threads come up. A real surprise that came and went in an eyeblink at the time. I'd also put the Condemned games up there, even if Pt. 2 went of the rails during the third act. Creepy, brutal, unique little horror game. Would love to see the trilogy completed but it seems the ship has sailed on the franchise..

#59 Edited by liquiddragon (270 posts) -

I thought Rainbow Six Vegas was awesome. Played ton of terrorist hunt.

#60 Posted by Thevamp25 (234 posts) -

Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation was probably the apex of its genre with its semi-open world levels and endearingly awful story. It's about six years from release and it's still a really great game, shame it was followed up by the disappointing Assault Horizon.

Totally agree with this. Still have not beaten AH because it infuriates me.

#61 Edited by ArbitraryWater (12103 posts) -

Dragon Age II, clearly.

#62 Edited by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Nier, Resonance of Fate and Eternal Sonata for me :]

#63 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

Dragon Age II, clearly.

Dragon Age II was never forgotten, don't be silly.

#64 Posted by Bobstar (320 posts) -

Enslaved: Odyssey To The West

#65 Posted by mosespippy (4434 posts) -

@aiurflux said:

Lost Odyssey and Valkyria Chronicles.

Lost Odyssey was probably the best purely traditional JRPG this generation. It had an amazing story, that granted started to rush a bit in Disc 4 (yeah... 4), but it was a better Final Fantasy game than Final Fantasy. As for Valkyria Chronicles it was the best game this generation that nobody played. Amazing story, visuals, themes, gameplay, everything was amazing. I searched for a fucking month to get it and payed over retail price for a used copy, but it was completely worth it. It breaks my heart that it got so overlooked because it really was a gem in a sea of shooter shit.

I also looked for it for over a month. Eventually I got it used and then a week later I found it new and bought that copy as well. Add in the DLC and I've paid over $155 for Valkyria Chronicles and it is money well spent. I'd do it again if I had to.

#66 Posted by development (2615 posts) -

Flotilla, I guess, if this is more time-period than console-specific.

#67 Edited by OmniscientCajun (140 posts) -

Some truly charming and strong games already mentioned here, including Eternal Sonata (which was going to be my addition until @morrow beat me to it). Singularity, Ace Combat 6, Muramasa, Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, The Darkness, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Outland, GRAW, Asura's Wrath, Vanquish, Trauma Team, F.E.A.R. 2 (hell yeah, @brodehouse!) - All mentioned and all I agree with.

After scanning my library a little, the yet-to-be-mentioned games I'd throw out there are Kirby's Epic Yarn, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Half-Minute Hero (not quite sure if an older PSP game counts, but there was the XBLA Super Mega Neo Climax release), and I'd throw the original Saints Row out there. I thought it filled a niche that was fairly empty in 2006 on the 360, and it's been dramatically overshadowed now by Saints Row: The Third, which I love. But I still really enjoyed that first game.

It's kind of tough for me to look at mentions of Binary Domain, Spec Ops: The Line, and Syndicate, not because I didn't really enjoy them, but because Giant Bomb is my primary video game atmosphere and I feel like they got continually brought up by various members of the crew, even into GotY deliberations. Regardless, more people should play them, along with the vast majority of the other games noted in this thread.

#68 Posted by aznan (101 posts) -
#69 Posted by amani (49 posts) -

Anarchy Reigns, even though it came out this year. (GG Sega.) Such an excellent brawler, multiplayer and all. Alice: Madness Returns as well. Oh, and Muramasa on the Wii, though it's getting a second chance w/ the Vita re-release :D

#70 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@aznan said:

and Yakuza 3.

How is a game with three extant sequels a "forgotten gem"? It doesn't seem like it was forgotten, it seems like Sega and Yakuza fans are very, very aware that it's "a thing."

Aside; Yakuza 4 is fucking terrible. It starts out so promising and then falls off a cliff. So disappointing. We need a thread for "well recognized and remembered but secretly kind of shitty games which got a pass."

#71 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

I've gotta also agree with Valkyria Chronicles. I actually only got to it a few weeks ago and it would've been such a bummer if I missed it outright.

I'll also agree with Binary Domain and Ace Combat 6 (I'm pleasantly surprised that even got mentioned). I'll never forget have Namco Bandai shamelessly made those Idolm@ster aircraft schemes DLC.

They should've just outright done a crossover game. Although more Ace Combats like 6 (and not Assault Horizon) would've also been greatly appreciated. It's crazy how last generation they pushed out 4, 5 and Zero and this generation we only get 6 and the not-so-great AH.

#72 Posted by Lord_Xp (606 posts) -

Ahem...Brink...not a gem, but quite the opposite.

#73 Posted by wrecks (2318 posts) -
#74 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

Hey guys, remember that there was a sequel to BioShock? No, not Infinite. Yes, BioShock 2. That game was given a really rough start in life as a follow-up to a critically acclaimed juggernaut with a whole new dev team, but even though it never reached the highs of the first BioShock, it was still a fun ride. It captured a lot of the atmosphere of the original, and the gunplay was slightly better. Had a good ending, too.

A bunch of people have already mentioned some of the other games that came to my mind, such as Enslaved, Darksiders, and Eternal Sonata, but I'll throw out one more - I really liked a lot about The Saboteur. It had charm and character, and some really neat design ideas. No, it wasn't a world-class open world game, but it had heart. Shame that it was Pandemic's last game.

#77 Posted by Zirilius (724 posts) -
#78 Posted by maskedarcstrike (700 posts) -

It really bothers me that Valkyria Chronicles is regarded as "the game before XCOM" when turn based strategy rpg's have been around for decades........ "sigh"

#79 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

I love how forgotten now means shit like Dark souls and Battlefield

#80 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@animasta said:

I wanted to say that, too, but given my love of the obscure, I feared I'd take the sentiment too far for some.

#81 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@animasta said:

I wanted to say that, too, but given my love of the obscure, I feared I'd take the sentiment too far for some.

How far is too far? "You people are fucking crazy" seems like the right amount of wtf.

#82 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Fallout: New Vegas. I cannot think of another game this generation that has writing anywhere this good. The Binding of Isaac also deserves recognition.

#83 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@rebgav:

More like saying Nier and Darksiders and Binary Domain and whatever else I happened to spot on the first page don't really count.

#84 Posted by chrollo (78 posts) -

I know one that will make every else's answers look terrible

get ready for it

thank you very much

you can close the thread now

#85 Posted by Grillbar (1902 posts) -

@mcfart said:

@viciousanchovy said:

Valkyria Chronicles because as a friend put it, it's basically an evolved version of XCOM:Enemy Unkown. Also Resonance of Fate because it's stupid in all the right ways.

Is Resonance of Fate worth $20 on Games on Demand?

i would say so, i really loved that game

#86 Edited by Karkarov (3267 posts) -

*looks around*

Deadly Premonition. Deal with it.
Also Alpha Protocol really was a good game, it's mechanics were just old school and people for some reason couldn't wrap their head around RPG, not FPS.

#87 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@rebgav:

More like saying Nier and Darksiders and Binary Domain and whatever else I happened to spot on the first page don't really count.

Nier and Binary Domain, at least, have small sale numbers to back the forgotten thing up.

but Dark Souls? Bad Company? Someone literally just mentioned New Vegas which sold 5 million copies.

#88 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@rebgav:

I would agree. If a game has a cult following it's not actually forgotten in a literal sense. Darksiders got a high-profile sequel, ffs.

#89 Edited by djou (878 posts) -

Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days.

This game is undeniably flawed in many ways, but it has some surprising moments that make it worth playing. The game oozed style, had a unique setting with some unique locales for the fire fights, the story was surprisingly mature, the narrative unusually ambitious.

The shooting was absolutely terrible and the graphics pretty janky, but I saw so many articles overpraising Spec Ops, that I started thinking this game deserved a second look. The campaign is only five hours (another complaint lobbied against it) but its fun solo or coop. It sucks that the bad press from the first game poisoned the critical well for this one.

Also 3D Dot Game Heroes as a forgotten precursor for the rash ofpixel art, rogue-like, dungeon-crawlers popular now.

#90 Posted by Dacnomaniac (444 posts) -
#91 Edited by Butano (1786 posts) -

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway for me. Its entire franchise feels like it got completely forgotten about once Borderlands became the #1 priority for Gearbox.

#92 Posted by SunBroZak (1341 posts) -

I wouldn't call Haze a "gem", but I did have a surprisingly large amount of fun with it's single player and multiplayer with a.i bots. I found making the yellow guys go red by hitting the drug supply on their neck very satisfying. I'm unsure how many copies were sold, but it never seemed to garner a large amount of attention.

The Marvel Ultimate Alliance games also deserve more attention. Arguably the best use of the MARVEL franchise on the PS3/360. (though I'm holding out for the new lego game)

I'd also say The Darkness and Darksiders both deserve more love. Both, while iterative, bring their own unique touches and have enjoyable stylized stories. And they both deserve "triquels".

#93 Edited by Angouri (233 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles was shamefully overlooked. Great game, great story. When everyone went bananas over XCOM, I was shocked that no one mentioned that VC had done it well not that long before!!

VC2 is pretty alright, too. And can I put Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky here? It has a passionate fan base, a cliffhanger ending, and a sequel Xseed/Marvelous say will be translated..... Eventually. Still, put some ridiculous hours into that game on PSP.

Also, trash panic was pretty good. Nobody talks about that anymore.....

#94 Posted by Zlimness (569 posts) -

Prince of Persia (2008) for sure. One of the biggest bummers this gen that Ubisoft completely threw out this game in the cold, despite doing OK sales wise.

I don't feel it has a strong following either, since it's not really a proper PoP game for most fans. It wasn't really that challenging and it strayed far from the puzzle platform elements of previous games. In the end, it was mostly remembered for it's DLC epilogue that sparked a debate regarding important story stuff as DLC.

Which is a shame, because I will fondly remember everything else about this game. Sorry Mirror's Edge, I like you a whole lot and I look forward to the sequel, but parkour should be third-perspective and stringing together a 10 minute seamless combination in Prince of Persia was and still is one of my favorite moments from this gen.

#95 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@djou said:

Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days.

This game is undeniably flawed in many ways, but it has some surprising moments that make it worth playing. The game oozed style, had a unique setting with some unique locales for the fire fights, the story was surprisingly mature, the narrative unusually ambitious.

The shooting was absolutely terrible and the graphics pretty janky, but I saw so many articles overpraising Spec Ops, that I started thinking this game deserved a second look. The campaign is only five hours (another complaint lobbied against it) but its fun solo or coop. It sucks that the bad press from the first game poisoned the critical well for this one.

Despite how much the game tried to not be fun, I really enjoyed Dog Days overall. I really, really like the shakycam bullshit smeared all over it. Looks filthy in the best way possible.

#96 Posted by nosebleed (15 posts) -

Man what a great SHMUP accompanied by awesome visuals and a great soundtrack. Definitely an unspoken gem on PSN. Ignore the first one.

#97 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

Prince of Persia 08. Divisive but one hell of a fun little adventure.

#98 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@animasta said:

@vinny_says said:

Basically any game that doesn't have a sequel

Inversion, one of the Forgotten Gems this generation.

Enslaved too.

#99 Edited by Caustic_Fox (112 posts) -

- Prey [Playing as a Native-American... awesome.]

- Syndicate [Dat DART voice.]

- Dust: An Elysian Tail [A game doesn't necessarily have to be rated Mature in order to have an emotional storyline.]

- Condemned: Criminal Origins [Who knew cracking heads with a lead pipe could be so brutally enjoyable?]

#100 Posted by RedCream (706 posts) -

MIght I add Radiant Historia and 999. This thread should also be a sticky so that we shan't forget.