• 179 results
#1 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

If you had to tell your kids 20 years from now or grandkids or nieces or nephews or anyone what game most defined this whole console generation what game would you say??? 

I personally think its Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, but seriously what do you guys think. 

#2 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Rapelay.

#3 Edited by bhhawks78 (1208 posts) -

Fallout 3 
- janky technically 
- buggy as fuck  
- cross platform shenanigans (not equal techinically, timed DLC exclusivity etc)
+DLC 
+actually caring about the game's writing 
+massive world 

Fallut 3/Cod4/Gameparty wii would be the three to show this generation 100%

#4 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
#5 Posted by BeachThunder (12437 posts) -

Bioshock.

#6 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" Rapelay. "
nice
#7 Posted by Dalai (7074 posts) -

Wii Sports. It's the reason Nintendo is rolling in dough and why everybody else jumped on the motion control bandwagon.

#8 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -

CoD 4. 

#9 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
#10 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Wii Sports

#11 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

I think Wii Sports is the game that will define this generation. It changed the game and showed that there was an entire market out there for a new type of game. It forced companies to rethink how they marketed games and just who they should be making games for. Things like Uncharted 2 and Batman are great, but they'll be surpassed in the next generation as graphics and writing continue to evolve in games. 

#12 Edited by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -
@bhhawks78 said:
" Fallout 3 - janky technically - buggy as fuck  - cross platform shenanigans (not equal techinically, timed DLC exclusivity etc)+DLC +actually caring about the game's writing +massive world   Fallut 3/Cod4/Gameparty wii would be the three to show this generation 100% "
Lol...It does get a lot of credit for making DLC such a big deal, but I hated parts of that game, vs. Cod 4 where my soul was nearly consumed. 

@BeachThunder said:

" Bioshock. "

I think That's a close second, because it really emphasized a meaningful world, with great visuals, great characters, good story, but you, the protaganist never spoke. 
#13 Edited by RavenX302 (265 posts) -

It would have to be COD 4 wouldn't it? Even playing a game like Assassins Creed you see perks, and kill/death streaks. It would be no where near my favorite game of the generation, but for better or worse, to me, it would have to be the one game that had most effect on a lot of other video games.

#14 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

It was a literally revolutionary when it came out and made Call of Duty what it is today (for better or for worse...). Despite what I might think about installments of COD games after COD4 (I tend to think lesser of them), COD4 will always be one of my most memorable and defining game from this generation.

#15 Posted by Jeust (10860 posts) -

I personally think its Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, but seriously what do you guys think.     

I weep for the human race.  

I would say Uncharted 2. 
#16 Edited by bartok (2585 posts) -

Kinectamals
Looks pretty, has a needlessly complex story, features a motion control gimmick, and contains little to no substance. All it needs is a ton of lens flare, brown textures and it will sum up this console generation perfectly.

#17 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Yeah, CoD 4 in terms of success and inspiring dozens of imitations.

#18 Posted by chstupid (806 posts) -

Teh Haloz

#19 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

I don't know that a single game can define an entire generation. I mean, Call of Duty may define this generation's FPSs for the most part and Wii Sports may represent the start of motion control, but those aren't the only knids of games that came out this generation. Personally, I spend almost all my game-related time on platformers and RPGs.

#20 Edited by AlexW00d (6446 posts) -

Half Life 2! 
Realistic world (in terms of physics), a story that wasn't told through cutscenes (in a non-RPG), characters you actually cared about(again in a non-RPG), a game that is still on top of a hell of a lot of 'Best Game Ever' lists. 
From what I can remember no game really came close to having any of these things in before, and none were nearly as good. And ever since we have seen a lot of games try and emulate all of these things, and in my opinion, none of them do it nearly as well.

#21 Edited by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Early this generation I might have said Gears of War but now I dont know probably Halo or COD in terms of online features but those are just action games. I just dont care as long as the game coming out are all good.

#22 Posted by gamefreak9 (2419 posts) -
@Jeust said:
"  

I weep for the human race.     I would say Uncharted 2.  "
Seriously i would say its COD, not because its great, i enjoy it but its not creative or smart or innovative, but it represents the generation that only cares about mindless shooting games.
#23 Posted by audiosnag (1582 posts) -

Either Halo or CoD 4.
Say what you want about those two games but they've arguably had a bigger impact on the industry and gamers in general then any other game.

#24 Posted by Yummylee (22576 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever, baby!

#25 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

Even though I don't particularly love either of these, CoD4 and Wii Sports define everything we know and love about this generation of gaming.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@AlexW00d: 

Uh, that came out in 2004, a year before this generation got started. Orange Box doesn't count.
#27 Posted by AlexW00d (6446 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: By generation it means PS3/360? I was referring to this generation of games/gamers. For me a generation is definitely more than 6 years, surely? 
If I have to choose something from 'next gen' consoles, i'd say Halo/MW, in that they have has brought millions of fucking imbeciles to the videogaming world.
#28 Edited by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

" Half Life 2! Realistic world (in terms of physics), a story that wasn't told through cutscenes (in a non-RPG), characters you actually cared about(again in a non-RPG), a game that is still on top of a hell of a lot of 'Best Game Ever' lists. From what I can remember no game really came close to having any of these things in before, and none were nearly as good. And ever since we have seen a lot of games try and emulate all of these things, and in my opinion, none of them do it nearly as well. "

Half Life 2 was 2004 from Last Generation. But it's my favorite game ever so yeah that's awesome, but not this generation.  

I also said Console Generation...but you make such a great argument with HL 2 that I don't really care lol. 
#29 Posted by LibraryDues (335 posts) -

Wii Sports.  Call of Duty 4 may have popularized a game mechanic, but Wii Sports changed the direction of the industry.  Whether motion controls and the explosion of casual gaming are a fad or the future, they certainly have defined this generation more than perk-based multiplayer modes.

#30 Posted by Jeust (10860 posts) -
@gamefreak9 said:
" @Jeust said:
"  

Seriously i would say its COD, not because its great, i enjoy it but its not creative or smart or innovative, but it represents the generation that only cares about mindless shooting games. "
Yep, and online play. 
#31 Posted by AlexW00d (6446 posts) -
@giyanks22: Yeah I see it now, I saw the 'kids in 20 years' bit and assumed you just meant this generation as in people. 
But yeah, in terms of PS3/Wii/360 i'd say Halo/MW cos they caused millions of idiots to start playing videogames and also caused Devs to focus on making hollywood action blockbusters instead of real games :/
#32 Posted by supermike6 (3645 posts) -
@Jeust said:
"  

Regardless of how you feel about it personally, you have to admit that the unlockable and perk-based multiplayer in that game has since been co-opted by practically ever game made since, even your precious Uncharted 2.
#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@AlexW00d: 

"Real" games? What exactly do you mean by that? I'm not a fan of them, either (it's well documented), but what exactly qualifies as a game to you?
#34 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@bartok said:
" Kinectamals Looks pretty, has a needlessly complex story, features a motion control gimmick, and contains little to no substance. All it needs is a ton of lens flare, brown textures and it will sum up this console generation perfectly. "
This is profound.
#35 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Probably the call of duty games, they sum up everything big in gaming these past few years, a focus on multiplayer, a tight single player experience, mainstream success, dedicated melee buttons in shooters, 3D and a bunch of other trends. It's only missing motion controls, in terms of summing this gen up. 

#36 Posted by Jeust (10860 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
" @Jeust said:
"  

Regardless of how you feel about it personally, you have to admit that the unlockable and perk-based multiplayer in that game has since been co-opted by practically ever game made since, even your precious Uncharted 2. "
Yep, I can't deny it.
#37 Edited by supermike6 (3645 posts) -
@Jeust said:

" @supermike6 said:

" @Jeust said:
"  

Regardless of how you feel about it personally, you have to admit that the unlockable and perk-based multiplayer in that game has since been co-opted by practically ever game made since, even your precious Uncharted 2. "
Yep, I can't deny it. "
I should have phrased that a bit differently. Obviously, if something is good enough to be copied by a whole ton of games, wouldn't you say that lets it count as definitive? I mean, that multiplayer is defining every other multiplayer game being made right now. Remember, we're not talking about best, we're talking definitive.
#38 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -

Uncharted 2.

#39 Posted by AlexW00d (6446 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Games where you get to make decisions and tackles things differently, where you actually care for the characters and there is a well written story, not games that are just 'kill x amount of terrorist/bad aliens and move forward' and are scripted as fuck.
#40 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

Uncharted 2 for sure.

#41 Edited by Jeust (10860 posts) -
@supermike6 said:

" @Jeust said:

" @supermike6 said:

" @Jeust said:

"  

Yep, I can't deny it. "
I should have phrased that a bit differently. Obviously, if something is good enough to be copied by a whole ton of games, wouldn't you say that lets it count as definitive? I mean, that multiplayer is defining every other multiplayer game being made right now. Remember, we're not talking about best, we're talking definitive. "
I don't think it is as influential, outside of the fps and third person shooter genre. But you got a point. 

Still I didn't like to define COD 4 as the definitive game of this generation, because it sketches a grim scenario for the future, still it is probably the truth. 
#42 Posted by Jimbo (10000 posts) -

If we're considering this generation as 'Wii, 360 and PS3' then I don't think there is a game that defines the generation.  There's just so little overlap between Wii and the other two that nothing can be considered definitive of both sides of the market.

Wii it's Wii Sports.  360/PS3 it's a tie between CoD4 and Gears for me.  CoD4 for popularising that style of multiplayer on consoles, Gears for popularising the cover-mechanic that's been used in every single game that came after it.

#43 Posted by supermike6 (3645 posts) -

Anyways, shouldn't we wait until after this generation to decide? I mean, with some of the newer games, there's no real way to know about their influence yet. Shouldn't we talking about the definitive PS2/Xbox generation game?

#44 Posted by BeachThunder (12437 posts) -
@giyanks22 said:
Half Life 2 was 2004 from Last Generation. But it's my favorite game ever so yeah that's awesome, but not this generation.   I also said Console Generation...but you make such a great argument with HL 2 that I don't really care lol.  "
Well, episode 2 was released in 2007; personally, I would say that it's the pinnacle of the Half-Life series.
#45 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@AlexW00d: 

That excludes a buttload of games that are actually...you know, games. Besides, it's so subjective that nobody could ever agree that games are even a thing if they adopted that definition.
#46 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Mass effect 2, crysis on very high settings, gta 4

#47 Posted by SuperSambo (2885 posts) -

The Cod franchise: online gaming to the masses.

Banjo n&b;: probably my favourite game of all time, yet ignored by all for being different.

Assasins Creed Franchise: Keeps getting better, with such a rich narrative and living world.

Gears of War franchise: First game that took me into the next gen and one that will stick with me for a long time.

#48 Posted by Yummylee (22576 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Mass effect 2, crysis on very high settings, gta 4

"
You never disappoint.
#49 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

It's an industry all to itself, World of Warcraft.

...with honourable mentions to Wii Sports, Farmville and Call of Duty (the franchise).

#50 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

modern warfare, made things different.