• 125 results
#1 Posted by Inkerman (1452 posts) -

I just saw the Games that affected your childhood thread, and it made me think about what specific game got me into gaming. Reading the thread I know lots of people's childhood's were shaped and influenced by video games, but I was just wondering what specific game got you to cross the line from a "Games are Fun!" view to actually following video games and becoming a 'gamer'?

For me, I'd have to say it was either Pokemon Blue, or Age of Empires I, probably the latter. I'd played games a lot earlier, Duke Nukem 3D, one of the Commander Keens (I can't remember which, and I never got very far), and later some N64 games at a friend's, but none of these games really got me into gaming decides just being fun.

Just as a note, most of my early games were all PC based (Fuck yeah Windows 95 and then 98), rather than console (we got our friend's N64 when he got a PS2, that was my family's first console), and I continue to play on PC almost exclusively, despite owning a PS3 and earlier a PS2.

#2 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

Gran Turismo on the original Playstation.

#3 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

super smash brother melee me and my sister played it so much when we were young

#4 Edited by CornBREDX (5623 posts) -

Pong.

Seriously, I played that a ton when I was a kid on Atari 2600. Other then that probably games like Doom, Secret of Monkey Island and Super Mario Brothers (although I had known them on the 2600 for that weird pipe game before the NES one- I am still not sure which came first, at the time it could have been either one really).

#5 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Star Fox 64 when I was 7 I think, that game was amazing and the fact that Nintendo hasn't released a true sequel makes me sad.

#6 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

Hmm, it was probably Crash Bandicoot on the Playstation.

#7 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Goldeneye.

Probably a common one. I think it was including the analog stick that really made it. And the speed runs for cheat modes.

#8 Posted by JEC03 (904 posts) -

Mario when I was a kid then later I stop gaming for a awhile and got back in to it when GTA3 hit I was hooked again then got into PC gaming from Medal of Honor allied assault.

#9 Posted by Soapy86 (2634 posts) -

It's tough to say, but I think it was probably a combination of Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear Solid that me got me to appreciate and enjoy and follow games on a deeper level. 

#10 Posted by 71Ranchero (2782 posts) -

The game that made me serious about video games? Prolly Rygar for NES.

#11 Posted by falserelic (5468 posts) -

When I played Hercules for the PlayStation haven't been the same sense.

#12 Posted by Nightriff (5152 posts) -

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES. I remember playing it all the time with my older sister all the time. Great memories and really the game that created my love and addiction to video games.

#13 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

You mean the first game I played? or the game that made me think ' videogames are now my favorite thing '?. Probably Super Mario 64 in conjuction with Super Smash Brothers , " I wish there was a game where I could play as Link and beat the crap out of Mario... *1999*... Holy Sh [kids don't curse] videogames! "

#14 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

goldeneye

#15 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

It was the 6 minute demo for GTA2. Me and my buddy would play it over and over. We'd go play badminton or soccer or whatever in his back yard then when we'd take a break for water we'd explore the GTA2 demo. There was a certain pleasure in having so much to do in so little time. There were 7 kill frenzies, 6 missions and the entire first map for exploration. Comboing kills for higher scores and getting score multipliers from missions was feeding our competitive nature, but it was also cool to discover things like you could stand at the bus stop for 3 seconds for a bus to show up and you could get in and drive the bus route to make money. GTA2 is still my second favourite GTA game and something I return to from time to time.

#16 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -

Age of Empires II

#17 Posted by believer258 (11992 posts) -

Super Metroid.

#18 Posted by Toxin066 (3302 posts) -
#19 Posted by Tokoname (28 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. 3, when I was about 3 years old.

#20 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1450 posts) -

Super Mario World, when i was 4 years old.

#21 Posted by amiirasri (14 posts) -

Starcraft!

As a youngster I saw my cousin play it at his house and then my dad went and bought it. It was great fun even though I was terrible. It made it last longer though because it took me ages to beat anything in the singleplayer so I spent more time playing. Back then even the singleplayer campaign was horrendously hard for me, thank god I was too young to go online multiplayer or else I'd have been a depressed kid.

#22 Posted by Slag (4615 posts) -

Always loved Pac-man and Ms. pac man when I could get my parents to take me to the arcade

but once I played Super Mario Bros. one day at the airport arcade, and then subsequently convinced my parents to get me a NES, I was hooked forever

#23 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Been playing games since Sonic, but the moment they switched from amusement to life long hobby might have been Metal Gear Solid. Wait...it might have been Final Fantasy VII.

#24 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Handheld Tiger Electronics Marble Madness.

#25 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

super mario for the nes and a bunch of other games like ninja turtles.

#26 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Karateka and Where in the Workd is Carmen Sandiago?

#27 Posted by Skyfire543 (713 posts) -

NASCAR Racing 3 and Sim City 2000

I fucking loved those games.

#28 Posted by kenharkey7 (9 posts) -

Man this is a tough question to ask, I've been playing games so long that its hard to even remember some of the earliest ones. Barn Stormer for the atari 2600 was certainly one of them but I think the one that really started me on the whole 'i must play games' kick would be the original punch out in the arcades.

#29 Posted by JBG4 (423 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. on the NES when I was 5.

#30 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

That is TOUGH. It may have been Golden Axe on the Sega Mega Drive, or one of a bunch of games I was given with my original game boy, like star wars, or perhaps mario bros.

My first few years of gaming is a mad pixelated blur.

#31 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Oblivion. I hate it now.

#32 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Pokemon Crystal Version. I think I was 5 or 6.

#33 Posted by Kazona (3081 posts) -

I honestly couldn't say. I've had such an on/off relationship with gaming that I can't recall what game it was that got me hooked completely.

Really, I don't think it was so much a specific game, but rather having someone to share my enjoyment with that changed things for me. Speaking of which, that could explain why, now, I no longer get as excited about games anymore. Having no one to share that excitement with kind of puts a damper on the whole thing for me.

#34 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

Contra.

#35 Posted by optimusprime223 (399 posts) -

Ghostbusters on the good old Speccy! If your not sure what the Speccy is, its a challenge to figure it out! ha!

#36 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Some Super Mario game my school had installed on a pc, can't remember what it was called.

#37 Posted by ajamafalous (12035 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. when I was like 3-4. My mom told me that in kindergarten we would have to do a one sentence journal every day, and every day I would write "I like to play Nintendo because it is fun." Video games have never not been my main and favorite hobby. People discovering games recently or later in their life is such a foreign concept to me and it's honestly kinda hard to grasp.

#38 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

castlevania on the commodore 64

i am too old to be posting on video game website :(

#39 Posted by Sweep (8924 posts) -

Probably Pokemon Red, purely because it's what everyone at school was playing and being able to trade your 'mons with other people was mind-blowing to me at the time. Loved it :D

#40 Posted by hussatron (189 posts) -

I guess Super Mario Bros. I had played some Atari 2600 games before it, but none of those games really mesmerized me like Super Mario Bros. It felt like an entirely different world.

#41 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

Super Mario Land on the SNES.

I've gamed before that obviously, but that one got me "in" to it.

#42 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Game and Watch : Juggler, followed closely by Game and Watch : Octopus. My cousin owned Juggler and her dad got me Octopus. I had played arcade games and had owned those Pong/Lightgun based TV RF consoles (a couple from Hong Kong) but it took Nintendo to really draw me in for good.

#43 Posted by Poppy_Persona (154 posts) -

I'd been playing games for years before, but the first one that made me get serious about it and use some real skill was Persona 3.

#44 Posted by HarlechQuinn (450 posts) -

Must have been one of the countless Pong clones which you connected to your TV...

#45 Posted by CandleJakk (766 posts) -

I played loads of games as a kid, though it was mostly Age of Empires. But what got me really into gaming was Mario Kart 64.

It was Christmas, and being the hyper little 7/8 year old I was, I woke up at about four am eager to open what Santy had left me. Gran was staying over (as per), so I was crashing in my older brother's room, on an airbed. He hears me get up, and start rustling in my stocking, so he wakes up and convinces me it'll be better to wait for my parents to get up, as they'll enjoy watching me open everything. Complaining that I wouldn't get back to sleep - he suggests we play so Mario Kart, but we have to be very, very quiet so as not to wake my parents. We played for hours and hours. It got to the point where my mum had to come upstairs to make sure we were okay, some 8 hours later.

Best Christmas morning ever.

/Nostalgia.

#46 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -
#47 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

Super Mario World, Star Fox 64, MechWarrior 2 and WarCraft 2 in some order. I loved gaming long before that, but getting a system to play them was a challenge.

Some of the games you guys are mentioning as your firsts make me feel so old... :/

#48 Posted by Marmalade (192 posts) -

At the age of three my sister and I played Super Mario Bros. to death on our NES. I haven't really stopped gaming since then.

#49 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

Probably Aladdin/Lion King for the mega-drive. I remember playing them a lot

#50 Posted by arjybarjy (93 posts) -

Sonic 1 and Mickey Mouse's Castle of Illusion were my first console games which I spent countless hours on but I remember being given a pong machine before that (early 90s).

Also playing Monkey Island and Prince of Persia with an older cousin on a 386.