• 128 results
mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@hailinel said:

I'm not sure that anyone on the staff had expectations high enough for Watch Dogs to consider it a particularly big disappointment.

i remember Jeff said on a podcast that Watch Dogs looks fucking awesome.

to me Jeff barely uses those words when describing a game.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think Destiny will be on the list, but it wont win, Brad seems to really really like it. and Patrick said he was enjoying it as well,

I dont think titanfall will be on the list as Jeff liked it.

If Far Cry 4 isnt a great game that will easily trump everything for the staff, if not, then Watch Dogs will win this category (i enjoyed watch dogs, but everyone seemed really bummed by that game)

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@arbitrarywater: I'm really worried for dragon age and far cry as well. I think we'll just have to hope that we are over the "stripped back launch title" hump

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've discussed this elsewhere, but who else thinks they're just gonna give Most Disappointed to the year of 2014 in gaming in general? With all the GamerGate bullshit, all/most games getting delayed till next year, Destiny and Watch Dogs being general disappointments, and there mostly being nothing to play on new consoles except up-rezzed last gen ports. There's no WAY GB just gives biggest disappointment to one title in particular. The entire concept of triple A games right now is fucked, and I think Gaming in 2014 will take home the award.

Yup, it has easily been the worst year in gaming I can every remember. There have been lots of fun indie games but big-budget 3D games have been consistently mediocre.

However I don't agree with you that AAA development is as screwed as you say. It has been a spectacularly average year but I think Jeff's comments on this weeks Bombcast about money starting to be thrown around, added to the rash of delays indictates that things are going to get more interesting next year. I think that all the delays are actually a really good sign, and that they indicate publishers who want to get things right and believe that their projects deserve the time, and that there is a market for good new titles, something people where unsure of a year ago.

I think games will start to improve once the first crop of games comes out which started major development with a working console in the studio. It feels like a lot of the games coming out this year have been grappling with not knowing what the new machines could do and with having to straddle the previous consoles. Once we get the first pure next-gen games things will change - I hope!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@jakob187: On a scale of disappointment, going from least to most with Vagrant Story being the least and Duke Nukem Forever being the most, how would you rate Titanfall?

For me, Duke Nukem Forever. When you tell me that West and Zampella (and then later only one part of that) have defected from Activision, made a new company, are working on a new shooter, and that they are taking their time to make it, I expect a fuckload more than just Call of Duty with parkour and mechs. Those guys have changed the game...TWICE...when it came to first person shooters: first with Medal of Honor (reclaiming the franchise's glory after the atrocious Rising Sun, and second with Call of Duty 4.

Actually, if you ask me, every game where I've had to do a mandatory install for the 360 has been annoyingly mediocre. Destiny is the only one where I'm not completely...just..."fuck that game" about it. Then again, I'm level 6...so what do I know? Then again, all I need is a cool setting, the ability to collect loot with stats, and I'm basically set. Look at how much Warframe and Diablo III I play. lol

@jakob187: That 10 year plan for Destiny includes other games. One game every two years. I enjoy what's there in Destiny but I don't see them actually working on Destiny #1 for 10 years. That's them just making words sound good.

I don't think it's the most disappointing but it suffers from the same thing that Titanfall suffered from. There isn't enough there and there was excessive marketing (including the enthusiast press).

Watch Dogs absolutely is the most disappointing game this year. Absolutely. They took a timely and important subject matter and made it into one of the dumbest things ever. It's so stupid. I can barely articulate. I don't recommend anyone play that game.

Watch Dogs is an open world game not named Grand Theft Auto. Anyone thinking it was going to be something incredible beyond belief needed to tone their expectations down quite a bit. I never understood the absolute hype around that game. I was excited after the E3 demo, but no more than any other given game.

Titanfall is just flat-out a bad game. In terms of overall production, it has the money behind it...but it is still just crap.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I haven't seen anyone mention The Elder Scrolls Online. They really seemed uninterested in that game,and considering the hype it had I think it will definitely get nominated.

Speaking of, isn't the console version suppose to still come out this year? I doubt it. It will probably get delayed again considering we haven't heard anything about it in ages.

Oh damn! I forgot about it! I even played it! Meh, it wasn't terrible but, you're right, it'll definitely get nominated.

Console version has a placeholder release date of 12/31/2014. Yikes.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somberowl said:

I haven't seen anyone mention The Elder Scrolls Online. They really seemed uninterested in that game,and considering the hype it had I think it will definitely get nominated.

Speaking of, isn't the console version suppose to still come out this year? I doubt it. It will probably get delayed again considering we haven't heard anything about it in ages.

Oh damn! I forgot about it! I even played it! Meh, it wasn't terrible but, you're right, it'll definitely get nominated.

Yikes indeed. I was really looking forward to this game, it seems like it'snow flying under the radar. Console delay is probably imminent.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#108  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

@spraynardtatum said:

@somberowl said:

Yikes indeed. I was really looking forward to this game, it seems like it'snow flying under the radar. Console delay is probably imminent.

I totally forgot that The Elder Scrolls Online came out this year. That game just sort of... came and went, didn't it?

I could see it being nominated, but no one on the GB staff (except Rorie) actually enjoys MMOs so I don't think it will win.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

None of them played Bravely Default, so GOTY is moot.

Also, can't remember a single person besides drew talking about Valiant Hearts, or anyone finishing Child of Light.

Also also, make some new categories already, shit be getting stale now.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Titanfall and Walking Dead S2.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#111  Edited By tourgen

Interesting to see the games mentioned here for most disappointing, then compare that list to pre-order sales and estimated marketing budgets. hmmm.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

None of them played Bravely Default, so GOTY is moot.

Also, can't remember a single person besides drew talking about Valiant Hearts, or anyone finishing Child of Light.

Also also, make some new categories already, shit be getting stale now.

I know at least a couple of staff members played Child of Light. I don't think it registered enough to really make any impact in the discussions when they take place in December, though. To them, it was a pretty game with simplistic gameplay and terrible writing in the constantly forced rhyming.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tourgen: I think it's unsurprising, one of the biggest components of a big disappointment is expectations which are at least partially driven by marketing.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I foresee Vinny's biggest disappointment being Lords of Shadow 2.

tropesage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@tropesage: I mostly am trying to just learn about Dan through his work on Giantbomb, but for this I will make an exception. Thank you =)

Einhert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Destiny
  • Titanfall
  • Watchdogs

All were really overhyped and quite disappointing IMO

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By ripelivejam

@tourgen: well from what i understand so far the only one technically to flop was titanfall, and it still did well, just not CoD numbers like they were expecting.

I know sales isnt indicative of quality but all three games seem to be wrongly maligned.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinny_says: Watch the morning show more often. Patrick and Alex talked about Child of Light months ago.

Also, your sarcasm is not appreciated.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#121  Edited By veektarius

I would vote for the season rather than any individual game - more to the point, all the games that aren't coming out.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to feel sad when they give most disappointing to a crowd favourite like Watch Dogs, when NHL 15 went above and beyond in this area. But none of the guys care about hockey. :<

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Lukeweizer

@lyisa said:

I could see a situation where Destiny or Watchdogs are most disappointing and also somewhere on the Game of the Year list. We're running out of big released this year.

Maybe expectations this year are higher than what the industry seems capable of delivering? Or it massively over promised.

Why does GOTY candidates have to be big releases?

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had fun with both WatchDogs and Destiny. They were no masterpieces of art, but they were fun games that lasted long enough to get me my money's worth.

I don't know what people expect from games these days. I did not expect much more from both of them then they turned out to be. On the contrary; I did not expect I would have fun with WatchDogs' online components and Destiny looks alot better then I would've imagined (damn that game shows some pretty vista's :))

I'm afraid my most disappointing game of the year is yet to come :( (Dragon Age, Alien, Driveclub?)

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#125  Edited By KaneRobot

@heyguys said:

It's got to be between Titanfall and Watch Dogs I'd think. I don't know how early the GB crew started souring on Watch Dogs but it had HUGE hype at one point pretty much across the board.

Then there's Titanfall, oh Titanfall, the game that was going to re-revolutionize console FPS games and everyone was done with two weeks after it coming out.

Titanfall was a perfectly fine game. There was nothing that was going to revolutionize anything. It was the next thing from the CoD creators, and that's what it was. GB (Jeff?) had it right, it's a 4-star game. Nothing revolutionary but very solid for what it was.

Don't know if you're referring to PC or what, but I still have zero issues finding a game to join on X1.

----

I'd vote Watch Dogs, mostly because what it appeared it would be at first compared to what actually came out on shelves was so underwhelming. Destiny was disappointing, but the game was so shrouded in mystery (even up until launch) that it was hard to get overly excited for it, unless someone is just a huge Bungie nut or whatever. I've been playing the thing for a week now and I still have questions about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elder scrolls online a contender?l

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elder scrolls online a contender?l

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heyguys said:

It's got to be between Titanfall and Watch Dogs I'd think. I don't know how early the GB crew started souring on Watch Dogs but it had HUGE hype at one point pretty much across the board.

Then there's Titanfall, oh Titanfall, the game that was going to re-revolutionize console FPS games and everyone was done with two weeks after it coming out.

Titanfall was a perfectly fine game. There was nothing that was going to revolutionize anything. It was the next thing from the CoD creators, and that's what it was. GB (Jeff?) had it right, it's a 4-star game. Nothing revolutionary but very solid for what it was.

Don't know if you're referring to PC or what, but I still have zero issues finding a game to join on X1.

----

I'd vote Watch Dogs, mostly because what it appeared it would be at first compared to what actually came out on shelves was so underwhelming. Destiny was disappointing, but the game was so shrouded in mystery (even up until launch) that it was hard to get overly excited for it, unless someone is just a huge Bungie nut or whatever. I've been playing the thing for a week now and I still have questions about it.

Titanfall wasn't a bad game, it was just pedestrian, extremely lacking in content and long term hooks. Whether or not you thought Titanfall was going to revolutionize things I can't say but there was a large wave of hype saying it would be the next COD 4 and change everything for FPS games once again. Obviously that wasn't the case. Titanfall doesn't need to have been a "bad" game for it to have been one of the most disappointing.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@hailinel said:

@vinny_says: Watch the morning show more often. Patrick and Alex talked about Child of Light months ago.

Damn, why you so stuck on Child of Light, I get it you don't like it...

They talked about it on one morning show and maybe a quick follow-up on the next one (yeah I listen to the show). From those few segments you came up with:

"To them, it was a pretty game with simplistic gameplay and terrible writing in the constantly forced rhyming."

There are 4 other people who will discuss GOTY too...doesn't help that they all glossed over the games I mentionned....

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Damn, why you so stuck on Child of Light, I get it you don't like it...

They talked about it on one morning show and maybe a quick follow-up on the next one (yeah I listen to the show). From those few segments you came up with:

"To them, it was a pretty game with simplistic gameplay and terrible writing in the constantly forced rhyming."

There are 4 other people who will discuss GOTY too...doesn't help that they all glossed over the games I mentionned....

I made one comment about it. That you're provoking into a conversation in some weird way.

I don't know if everyone on the staff has played it, though I doubt it. It's the same story for a lot of games that they end up discussing in the year-end awards. All I said in the first place was my interpretation of the views expressed by two staff members that are known to have played it. I'm not trying to mount a personal attack, or anything. I don't even have a horse in the race when it comes to that game because I don't care about it much either way.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Mine would definitely go to Destiny. Titanfall and Watch Dogs weren't as great as expected, but they were certainly enjoyable.