The good, the bossy, the obnoxious.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sprizmo

We've all been playing games online for some time now, and I wanted to address something that has been hampering the experience of mature and serious gamers. How many times have you been forced to back out of sessions in response to annoying personalities, most often those of children imposing themselves as the leader of the pack. They issue orders, make vulgar offensive statements, or often times (and I do mean often) sing some silly song into the headset until your eardrums threaten to explode.  I'm aware there is a system in place to weed out such nonsense, but at certain times in the day it seems unavoidable, and you end up calling it a day because you can't seem to find a respectable lot to team up against zombies or overthrow those nasty Nazis.

Its hard to feel like you hold some natural authority being the technical elder in these groups. I've had so many 10 year olds talk down to me I feel like walking into a middle school with a wooden paddle and going haywire. Why the hell are these fledglings even playing some of these games? With all the gore, violence and profanity, you'd think the parents would actually pay closer attention to the mature ratings for what they were intended... Oh wait that's right, parents don't give a shit these days. Anything to keep little Bobby from nagging them while they sip Martinis in the back yard and discuss the last episode of John and Kate plus eight.

One game in particular that I refuse to play online is GTA4. I swear to god everybody signs on to that game with their inner thug bursting at the seams. Is there anything more annoying than a prepubescent rascal making like they're honorary members of the crips? Its a sad, ongoing social commentary that I like in a documentary, not upping my blood pressure when I'm trying to complete a co-op mission. Trash talk is one thing, but I firmly believe certain age gaps shouldn't be bridged with unchecked hubris and swagger.

My proposal is for the the industry to find a way to identify the age of participants and place them in lobbies accordingly. In the long run, it would help to avoid us having to spend half the day attempting to team up with people who have the right to tell me how to play.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

How old are you?

Also, get over it. You can't go into a store and say "I wont buy from here because theres a kid crying"

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Ineedaname

Did someone invent the mute button?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Due to the stereotypes being thrown around, I'll just leave this here...

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sprizmo
@Ineedaname: When you're working together and need to communicate, how does that help exactly?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6  Edited By natetodamax
@Sprizmo: A group of kids that are constantly using vulgar and hateful terms and/or blasting music into the mic probably aren't going to cooperate with you.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallen189

You're probably an early 20's "angry young man" anyway. You would have been like that if games were the same in your day. Stop fighting the last war and  just do it.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sprizmo
@Fallen189: I'm 31, but even if I was in my early 20's I may have a similar problem. Is it too unreasonable for me to address this phenomenon and suggest a way to make everyone happy? Kids can play with kids, and adults with adults. All this would do is make it easier to find a session you feel comfortable with.

And by the way things were a lot different 20 some years ago. Parents generally gave a shit about how their kids were behaving and being an adult demanded respect. There is NO respect nowadays. You must be among those who would let their kids talk back to adults and maybe even encourage it.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Illmatic

Yeah, it can be annoying but I found I simply unplugged my headset and set team speak to mute so I wouldn't hear anything from the TV's speakers. It sucks because if you do power through the annoying kids and racist jerks you'll get into that occasional game with genuinely cool people who don't take the game mind numbingly serious or spout out offensive statements every time they die (I wasn't aware my race was synonymous with "I just got killed"). But some nights I just don't have the energy to suffer through the filth.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ineedaname
@Sprizmo: Mute the idiots, if everyone does that the ones who can work together can do so, the idiots can still hear you but you can't hear them so they should get the jist of the orders.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sprizmo
@Ineedaname: Some games that may work, but for many  of them you all need to be on the same page and have a back and forth. I realize this is a hazard that you have to deal with and it may not be enough to keep someone from gaming online, but if if the system can be tweeked to make things better than why not try?
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ineedaname
@Sprizmo: Name a game where it's a necessity? There's none that have it as such a requirement, there's the odd one sure, the only one I can think of really where it's a necessity is Socom, but I'm not sure as I don't play that, maybe Vegas 2 but it's playable without.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sprizmo
@Ineedaname: Left 4 Dead on expert? COD4? Red Faction? Resident Evil 5 Co-op? No?
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ineedaname
@Sprizmo: RES5 on co-op only has 2 people the chances of ending up with someone that retarded have to be slim, COD4 doesn't need it, I play that myself alot and it's fine, same with L4D, no mics that necessary as long as you keep an eye on where everyone is, I play on PC don't often use a headset and we cope just fine. Don't play Red Faction so I can't comment.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Pie

Am i the only one who finds them hilariuos?

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By VWGTI
@Pie:

No.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pie
@VWGTI: I like hearing 10 yr olds and older duders argue with each other. The little kid always brings out the big guns..... "YU GAY BRAP!!!!!"
Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Wildfire570
@Pie:
In some cases I do find them quite amusing when you hear everyone yell "Shut the Fuck Up!!!!!" or "Grow a pair of balls!!!" and stuff like that.
If the kids voice gets annoying I just simply mute them. Honestly I get so tired of people yelling at those annoying kids because lets face it, they are just feeding the flames and keeping the fight going on. I understand Sprizmo's pain but honestly you really have two options.

A) Just learn to focus on the game and deal with it.
B) Just do a few button presses and "Wha-Bam!" muted people.

I'm pretty sure every game with multiplayer at this point and age has a mute option so use it! Its your best friend!
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pie
@Wildfire570: Oh but its so much fun to see how the argument wil climax.
Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By Wildfire570
@Pie: Not going to lie, it is quite hilarious to see it scale from "Shut the Fuck up!" to them talking about their mothers.
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cinemandrew
@Sprizmo said:
" @Ineedaname: When you're working together and need to communicate, how does that help exactly? "
Clearly, there's no need to communicate with some people. This is why I rarely play online games with strangers. It's not just the little ones either, there's plenty of bossy, annoying, rude, older folks online too. It sucks, but that's just the nature of the internet. Posting on a forum, for instance, allows for the chance that you will encounter an inconsiderate, and/or closed minded person, but we still do it.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sprizmo
@Ineedaname: Yeah It occurred to be RE5 is less an issue for that reason...

Alright I think I was addressing 2 issues at once. Yes we can all agree the mute button comes in handy in blocking this stuff out, but lets go a little deeper than that. Should we be facilitating forums that encourage these children to disrespect adults and engage in unsavory banter? If anything it contributes to their sense of empowerment that is no doubt exercised on and off the console. This kind of social evaluation may be a bit deep for a gaming forum, but I'm sure all of us have better opinions than say... Dr. Phil.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ineedaname
@Sprizmo: As long as it's banter it's okay, but I've played with a few "children" who were being racist, the inability to do anything there was rather annoying, that sort of thing should be stopped, but I don't feel by any means we should suppress them, because after all they're probably some of the people you're playing against and without most of them there's hardly anyone to play against. I understand what you say about them carrying the attitude, but it shouldn't be down to a game, the people that play it or the developers that the players are like that, if someone is like that, and being rather abusive, we should look closer to home for a soloution but we can't influence that. By that I mean the sense of empowerment shouldn't be for us to deal with, but I'm sure you got that.
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I wish it was only an issue with the 'children' who play games online, but unfortunately there's 'adults' that act the same exact way.  Either way it's annoying, but I've come to accept it as how gaming is on the net.  If I can't mute them, I will just quit match and find a more suitable one.  

I do like your idea, but then you'd get stuck with adults who act like kids.  There's no way to win this battle.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust
@Sprizmo:  I respect your conundrum, but this is not a new problem.  It's been around for at least seven years and I doubt it will change anytime soon.  As such, you are left with two choices.  Either mute the lil' potty mouths or don't game online.  There is a third option, if you are willing to make the effort, and that is joining any of the "mature gamers" social websites that litter the internet as a result of all the vulgarity on XBL.   You might want to look around the Married Gamers and Gamers with Jobs websites.  Talking About Games is a website that is also highly regarded in this area.  The site grew out of the former Achievement Junkie Podcast site which was run by a Microsoft community representative and his wife.  They have posted "game nights" for XBL and PSN.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sprizmo
@PenguinDust: That's actually an interesting solution, I never even thought to look for something like that. I do want to be clear that I'm not a prude when it comes to vulgarity or what I my friend's and I used to refer to as "Tekken talk", so long as its applicable and not originating from the mouths of babes who haven't earned their stripes.

@Out_On_Bail said:
I do like your idea, but then you'd get stuck with adults who act like kids.  There's no way to win this battle.

You do come across juvenile behavior from many "adults" although the mojority of these voices that qualify as "matured"  belong to teenagers who haven't aquired the wisdom to measure their words and impact on a gaming experience. I find it takes a good 23 - 25 years until most people realize how much of an ass they've been making out of themselves and tone it down. Certain things are misleading; for example it seems that the attitude of soldiers serving in the military can be crude and ignorant, but most people forget these are 18 year olds fresh out of boot camp who are easily impressionable and uncle Sam LOVES to cultivate and harness that bad ass attitude.

If you think about it, the military embraces and encourages these qualities that we find so annoying on home soil. They are the ultimate example of little gung ho gamers that refuse to grow up and be more diplomatic.
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@Sprizmo: Yeah but the military guys are generally badasses ;P  At least they were in my line of work - Infantry leads the way!

Anyways, I agree with you, but I still think it's a lose/lose situation.  Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for gaming with people of my same age group, I just think then we'll always get stuck with those few that are still immature.  Luckily when I was 18-23 gaming online was not part of my routine, at least not with a headset.  If so I'm sure I would of been a cocky prick too.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#28  Edited By AgentJ
@Fallen189 said:
" How old are you?Also, get over it. You can't go into a store and say "I wont buy from here because theres a kid crying" "
He has a Joker avatar, so I'm guessing 10-14 : )
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@AgentJ: What the hell does that have to do with his age?  Joker has been around for 30+ years, probably more.  I don't know how old he is, so you could potentially be correct.  But assuming from an avatar is just ignorant.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AgentJ
@Out_On_Bail said:
" @AgentJ: What the hell does that have to do with his age?  Joker has been around for 30+ years, probably more.  I don't know how old he is, so you could potentially be correct.  But assuming from an avatar is just ignorant. "
I guess you missed the smiley face, because I was joking. But since even jokes have some truth to them I'll explain the thinking. 
Kids went out and saw the dark knight, thought the Joker was really badass, and thought it'd be cool to have him as their avatar. Conveniently explains the rise in Joker avatar usage since last summer.
I'm not saying the OP is actually a kid, because he may genuinely like the joker outside of heath ledger. Hence the joke. : /
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@AgentJ: Ok my mistake. I saw the smiley face but interpretted it as a smart ass smiley. I've also failed at sarcasm on the internet, it's not easy to accomplish.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wolverine
@Ineedaname said:
" Did someone invent the mute button? "
That is exactly what I was going to say. Microsoft has made it extremely easy to mute individual players so if someone is annoying you in a online game you should just mute them.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AgentJ
@Out_On_Bail said:
" @AgentJ: Ok my mistake. I saw the smiley face but interpretted it as a smart ass smiley. I've also failed at sarcasm on the internet, it's not easy to accomplish. "
No worries, i fail at detecting sarcasm all the time, even with people are always sarcastic (Jacob187) so it's all good
jobe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jobe13

Wow, the OP was simply stating how he felt on an issue and the general response is "get over it"? Isn't that what forums are supposed to be used for? He wasn't disrespectful, vulgar, or whiny. Just presented his case and left it open for discussion. Instead what he got was "quit bitching" or "you must be 12" comments. I'm 35 and I fully agree with the guy. As much as some would say to just ignore the little shits, communication is a vital component to the multiplayer aspect. I don't want to play L4D with a bunch of 12 year olds who just want to run around screaming and shooting each other.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sprizmo
@jobe13: Thanks for having my back yo. Solid!
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_A_Drain

If you were talking solely about competitive games, or any aspect of halo, i'd be all "quit whining" or "this is why I only play single player games" etc.

However, I fully agree, games that require co-op play such as coop modes or L4D, other games etc require a high degree of communication in order to do well at, and muting someone is simply unnacceptable way of dealing with the problem.

I will say this however, since they revised the TOS for the dashboard upgrade to NXE, it's actually against the rules for anyone under 18 to hold a gold account and to participate in online multiplayer. At least in the UK the TOS specifically states that, and it just distinguish any particular games, it just states that if your not 18+, you are not allowed to hold a gold account.

So report them and hopefully MS will uphold their TOS. Although I suspect it's just to halter any complaints from parents "Some dude said bad things to my child online" "Really maam? Well, he shouldnt be playing it in the first place so GTFO"

Report them anyway.
Zanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zanda

They should create a game type where you nominate the most annoying, racist or vulgar player and have him/her practically spawn killed all the time. Wait, that probably wouldn't work, especially if the whole game is filled with annoying little kids.....or adults.

jobe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jobe13
@Sprizmo said:
"@jobe13: Thanks for having my back yo. Solid!"

Anytime, dude.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jayge_

Congratulations, you've fallen into the "those damn kids" mentality. Happens to everyone.

Rest assured, you were as much of a little douchebag when you were a child in your own way, even if you don't remember it. Everyone was. No exceptions.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Coltonio7

No Caption Provided

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sprizmo
@The_A_Drain: I think those little smart asses know how to bypass such regulation. They must be able to because so many of them are gold members.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Sprizmo:

Well yeah, it's not hard to put a fake date of birth, or their 'mommies' credit card details in, but like I say, report them, it's the only thing you can actually do about it. Unfortunately, and other kind of system would be even more abusable than the current one.
nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nvmfst

Back in my day...

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Einherjan said:
"Back in my day..."

You could punch the dude giving you hassle because he was more than likely 2 feet away from you behind a monitor playing Doom over LAN with you :P
nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nvmfst
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Einherjan said:
"Back in my day..."
You could punch the dude giving you hassle because he was more than likely 2 feet away from you behind a monitor playing Doom over LAN with you :P "
Well, that could be one way.

I never have voice chat on. That way even if people make fun of me because I suck at FPS's, it won't know it. LOL.