The Grammys remind me of why the VGA's don't bug me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

Lets face it people awards shows are boring. Regardless of how "respectful" you say any awards show is they are all media circuses designed to highlight people or things that companies want you to buy. Even with the VGA's distinctly more "childish" or "frat boy" sense of humor its still at least entertaining garbage. Awards shows that try to be serious are an absolute snooze. Honestly, I'm surprised they even bother with the grammys anymore. Does anyone think it even really means anything? I mean at least with the VGA's again its pretty obvious that the awards don't mean shit. Anyways...rant over.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I'd watch the Oscars even if they were boring, as long as I was interested in the films that were nominated. Unfortunately for the Grammys, I'm never interested in the kinds of music they nominate.

WizardShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By WizardShazam

I am always reminded of the argument that if the Academy Awards were voted on like the Grammys, we would be looking at Twilight versus Transformers for the best picture award. In that sense, I am with you in that the Grammys are meaningless and have been for years. Especially in a genre like music that is even more subjective than movies or games and has such an enormous pool of new bands and songs released every year that it would be impossible to listen to everything before deciding what is 'the best'.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

The best part of the Grammys are the acts that perform. The best part of the VGAs is nothing.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShaggE

I can't take any award show seriously that doesn't take the entire medium into consideration, and not just what is well-known.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By InternetDotCom

My favorite part of the Grammys that it is on the west coast and doesn't air live on the west coast

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Branthog

Award shows being shitty doesn't excuse videogame award shows being shitty. The reason videogame award shows are shit, is because they try to dumb them up, generalize them for the broadest audience, and turn it into every other award show.

The reason every other award show sucks is that they're inherently about inane bullshit that only sycophants care about like rich famous asshats awarding each other for how hard they act or sing.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By landon

@Claude said:

The best part of the Grammys are the acts that perform. The best part of the VGAs is nothing.

The best part of the VGAs is the clever insults people come up with to make fun of it.

Seriously, the VGAs don't even work as "entertaining garbage". It pulls the entire medium back and doesn't even give out awards on screen.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Branthog

@Landon said:

@Claude said:

The best part of the VGAs is the clever insults people come up with to make fun of it.

Seriously, the VGAs don't even work as "entertaining garbage". It pulls the entire medium back and doesn't even give out awards on screen.

We're going to give out three awards and you will each have up to 30 seconds to accept. We need the other 158 minutes for bullshit.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By falling_fast

I think they both really fucking suck, but the music industry is far worse than the video games industry, so the Grammys are entire orders of magnitude worse.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By EuanDewar

The Grammys are fine apart from the bit where they put a woman-beating cunt up on stage and then boosted his applause for the tv audience.

Fine.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

@Branthog said:

@Landon said:

@Claude said:

We're going to give out three awards and you will each have up to 30 seconds to accept. We need the other 158 minutes for bullshit.

Also, if some cockmonglers barge on stage for a publicity stunt and eat up your mic time, well, fuck you.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JCGamer

The thing about the grammys is the fact that I have no idea what most of the categories mean. Best album vs best record?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By musubi

@Landon said:

@Claude said:

The awards mean jack shit anyways. So why bother? As Jeff has said on the bombcast its basically just an excuse to put on a dumb show for 2 hours and be like YO HERES SOME NEW GAMES. Which I'm cool with. The other awards shows try to act like they mean anything.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Gabriel

Maybe if they would have Teabagged Whitney Houston's corpse.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Milkman

@EuanDewar said:

The Grammys are fine apart from the bit where they put a woman-beating cunt up on stage and then boosted his applause for the tv audience. Fine.

Turned on the Grammys, saw this, turned it off.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Ben_H

I truly don't care for any of them, but the Grammys is the one I care least about for reasons such as this:

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By JasonR86

@Ben_H said:

I truly don't care for any of them, but the Grammys is the one I care least about for reasons such as this:

You know people can have all different types of music tastes and that's awesome. It shows just how varied we all are and how many types of music there are.

All that said though that has to be one of the most irritating songs I've ever heard. Well, recently anyway. I probably like music you would find irritating too so...you know, but still man...yikes.

EDIT: I uh...sort of misread what you wrote.

...well I feel kind of stupid.

Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Mister_Snig

@Ben_H: I actually kinda like that song. Not because it's catchy or anything, but because Nicki Minaj is goddamn insane.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By musubi

If were going to talk annoying... LFMAO are pretty much the height of annoying.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Branthog

@Ben_H:

What the fuck IS that thing? Is it human? It looks like a creepy CG monster.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ben_H

@Branthog said:

@Ben_H:

What the fuck IS that thing? Is it human? It looks like a creepy CG monster.

I don't know, all I know is that it was nominated for some award at the Grammys. And with that, I rest my case on why award shows are a joke.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JasonR86

@Demoskinos said:

So I did a youtube search because I didn't realize that LFMAO was an actual band (fuck I sound old). Anyway, I didn't realize they did that 'rock anthem' song. You know...I think the band name is annoying, the two guys in the band look irritating as all hell, the dancing in the video is obnoxious, their background dancers are obnoxious, and many parts of the song are annoying.

BUT...the chorus is kind of catchy (I feel so lame saying that).

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Branthog

@JasonR86 said:

@Demoskinos said:

So I did a youtube search because I didn't realize that LFMAO was an actual band (fuck I sound old). Anyway, I didn't realize they did that 'rock anthem' song. You know...I think the band name is annoying, the two guys in the band look irritating as all hell, the dancing in the video is obnoxious, their background dancers are obnoxious, and many parts of the song are annoying.

Never heard of them or the song, but googled them and pulled the rip-cord at twenty seconds in. Is it supposed to sound generic-as-hell or am I listening to a bad remix?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By mikemcn

My favorite part of the grammys is that last year, they picked an Arcade Fire album over albums by Eminem . Lady gaga, Katy Perry and Lady Antebellum even though 60% of their audience most likely didn't even know Arcade Fire existed. (Which is odd because Arcade Fire has been around for awhile and has been consistently excellent.)

And the album totally deserved the award, its like the Grammys can actually appreciate good music sometimes.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JasonR86

You know I just went to the grammy website to look at the nominees and I'm having issues. What's the difference between 'record of the year' and 'album of the year'? Why is it 'best dance recording' and not 'best dance song'? What's the difference between 'traditional pop' and 'pop'? Why is Coldplay in the 'rock' category of music? Why is Sum 41 in the Hard Rock/Metal category? Why is Wilco considered 'rock' and not 'country'? What's the difference between 'traditional r&b' and 'r&b'?

I could keep going but I think I made my point.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#27  Edited By Little_Socrates

I like the kinds of music that The Grammys nominate, and I think it's a far more entertaining show than the VGAs. The problem now is that the actual nominees are leagues inferior to people performing the same kind of music in the same space, and I can't watch an awards show where Bruno Mars is nominated for multiple awards and Adele sweeps. Forget it.

I dislike the Grammys because they get it wrong so often, not because they're super-boring. I dislike the VGAs because the only moments where it's not as exciting as signing onto Giant Bomb and watching exclusively trailers is when it's actively painful to watch them try to be humorous or in-touch. NO WAY.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JasonR86

@Branthog said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Never heard of them or the song, but googled them and pulled the rip-cord at twenty seconds in. Is it supposed to sound generic-as-hell or am I listening to a bad remix?

Nope, that's it.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PeasantAbuse

The weirdest thing to me about LMFAO is that one of the dudes is almost 40, and the other guy is his nephew.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AMyggen

Sigh, as a music geek (I'm more or less an all-round geek, this included), I haven't watched the Grammys in ten years. It's, hands down, the worst of the major award shows (Oscars, Emmys and Grammys). While the Oscars as a show is always boring and awkward, at least they sometimes nominate good films that I actually care about, and history shows that these films have a chance at winning something (even though the usual Oscar bait, like Crash and every film about the Holocaust, will usually win). The Grammys, on the other hand, will nominate a popular and not-so-good act 99% of the time. I'm not trying to be a hipster here, it's a question of quality. It's by far the least relevant of the bigger award shows.

If there's a good performance I'll look it up on Youtube the day after.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Masha2932

I enjoyed the DICE Awards.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By landon

@Demoskinos said:

@Landon said:

@Claude said:

The awards mean jack shit anyways. So why bother? As Jeff has said on the bombcast its basically just an excuse to put on a dumb show for 2 hours and be like YO HERES SOME NEW GAMES. Which I'm cool with. The other awards shows try to act like they mean anything.

Even if you and I don't think the awards mean anything, I would appreciate the VGAs if they brought people up on stage so I could say "these are names and faces and developers I should remember if I want to look out for more great games", but they don't even make time to do that. I know who Todd Howard, Peter Molyneux, and Ken Levine are because people who actually care about video games talk about them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NTM

Eh, I only like the Academy Awards.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By aurahack

I learned three things today.

1. People still watch about the Grammys.
  2. People still care about the Grammys.
  3. Musicians still consider a Grammy to be worth something.

All three of those confuse me, especially so for the third bit.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hunkulese

@Demoskinos said:

Lets face it people awards shows are boring. Regardless of how "respectful" you say any awards show is they are all media circuses designed to highlight people or things that companies want you to buy. Even with the VGA's distinctly more "childish" or "frat boy" sense of humor its still at least entertaining garbage. Awards shows that try to be serious are an absolute snooze. Honestly, I'm surprised they even bother with the grammys anymore. Does anyone think it even really means anything? I mean at least with the VGA's again its pretty obvious that the awards don't mean shit. Anyways...rant over.

I don't understand why you are able to come to this realization yet you still watch award shows.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, the Grammys are stupid as fuck. 

If you guys want any proof, Chris Brown won a Grammy

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iam3green

award shows in general are pretty awful. love the things that are popular, usually the bands with rock vs pop, pop are the ones who win.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Branthog

@Landon said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Landon said:

@Claude said:

Even if you and I don't think the awards mean anything, I would appreciate the VGAs if they brought people up on stage so I could say "these are names and faces and developers I should remember if I want to look out for more great games", but they don't even make time to do that. I know who Todd Howard, Peter Molyneux, and Ken Levine are because people who actually care about video games talk about them.

The problem is, the industry actively avoids making "rock stars" out of developers. Ideally, they would have no David Jaffes or Cliff Blasicz..Blysi... Cliffy B's. They don't want names that the audience recognizes, because then they have some power and when they move around, it stirs things up. They don't want the gamer to say "oh, the guy who headed this game for five years is leaving the company - it's all fucked, now!".

On the other hand, I love it. I care about who makes the games and all the inside baseball. Further, I care enough to watch a meaningful award show. You can make it amusing. Have some skits. Do some clever (not pandering) things in it. But give it a lot of meat. And award people who are behind it all. Not just the top two or three known names. I will kick in to a Kickstarter for this to be done every year. I will subscribe. I will pay for an HD download of it. I will pay to watch a live stream of it. I am all over this if someone pushes it.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NegativeCero

My problem with all award shows is they are so goddamn long. When I care about almost nothing on the show, I might as well look up the results afterwards. Although the Arcade Fire moment last year and the subsequent rage on that Tumblr blog was pretty cool and hilarious.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By willin

Difference being that Paul McCartney wasn't tea-bagged on stage.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By clumsyninja1

The only reason to watch it, is ADELE, period.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

....And with J Cole's loss for best new artist I still conclude that the Grammys are stupid as fuck

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CaptainCody

And the only thing good was the finale.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jay444111

Weren't the Grammy's gonna have a video game music catagory this year? Or did they ignore us?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Branthog

@clumsyninja1 said:

The only reason to watch it, is ADELE, period.

Dude, you're getting ADELE.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By willin

@JCGamer: Best Album is the quality of the singing, instruments and writing. Best Record is the quality of producing, artwork and sound engineering.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JasonR86

@Willin said:

@JCGamer: Best Album is the quality of the singing, instruments and writing. Best Record is the quality of producing, artwork and sound engineering.

...that's dumb. That should be all tied together as they are all a part of one package. There isn't a 'Game of the Year' and 'Best Produced Game of the Year'.

dbol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dbol

@EuanDewar said:

The Grammys are fine apart from the bit where they put a woman-beating cunt up on stage and then boosted his applause for the tv audience. Fine.

How do you care?