• 79 results
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By demonbear

I'm not even sure this thread will last long but here goes.

There's one subject the giantbomb guys will avoid, same on every "pro" podcast out there. Piracy.

It's something that's been bugging me for a while now because, I don't know about you guys, but I know LOTs of people around me with hacked psps or hacked 360s, downloading games and burning them and whatnot. Hell, on this very forum there's been mentions here and there of piracy.

I don't like it. I pay good money for my games because it's my passion. I don't drink anymore, I don't smoke anymore. All that sweet sweet cash goes directly in gaming. Then you come to work one morning, and 4,5 guys are exchanging the latest burned DDVD 360 release, sometimes when the game is not even out yet. It pisses me off. Back in the days, i would mind less because in the nintendo days, most of these games were from japan and somehow, it felt so far away i wouldn't mind much. But when i see people with burned copies of Mass Effect, my canadian heart burns with rage. Bioware works freakin hard on their titles and they don't deserve this. Nor any developper for that matter.

I've been quite hosest with that, if a web site would exist where you could turn those people in, I gladly would, and then tell em to their faces. But i don't think such a thing exist.

I know you guys will probably be touchy on this subject but still, you have opinions? Stories? you know how we, paying gamers could do something about piracy?

Note : Theres no piracy concept page, granted it's illegal, but its a gaming-related concept. Even if its against the law, it exist.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By demonbear

I'm not even sure this thread will last long but here goes.

There's one subject the giantbomb guys will avoid, same on every "pro" podcast out there. Piracy.

It's something that's been bugging me for a while now because, I don't know about you guys, but I know LOTs of people around me with hacked psps or hacked 360s, downloading games and burning them and whatnot. Hell, on this very forum there's been mentions here and there of piracy.

I don't like it. I pay good money for my games because it's my passion. I don't drink anymore, I don't smoke anymore. All that sweet sweet cash goes directly in gaming. Then you come to work one morning, and 4,5 guys are exchanging the latest burned DDVD 360 release, sometimes when the game is not even out yet. It pisses me off. Back in the days, i would mind less because in the nintendo days, most of these games were from japan and somehow, it felt so far away i wouldn't mind much. But when i see people with burned copies of Mass Effect, my canadian heart burns with rage. Bioware works freakin hard on their titles and they don't deserve this. Nor any developper for that matter.

I've been quite hosest with that, if a web site would exist where you could turn those people in, I gladly would, and then tell em to their faces. But i don't think such a thing exist.

I know you guys will probably be touchy on this subject but still, you have opinions? Stories? you know how we, paying gamers could do something about piracy?

Note : Theres no piracy concept page, granted it's illegal, but its a gaming-related concept. Even if its against the law, it exist.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I don't think that's what the people on Giant Bomb say they do when they mention "piracy." I'm guessing they use it to play old games that nobody really cares about anymore (as people have directly told me). However, your post has enlightened me as to why my Lost Odyssey discs have this "Please don't make illegal copies of this game" warning on it (even if it won't work :P).

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

Piracy is not a game related concept. That's why it's called piracy, because it dates back to when PIRATES used to do it, on actual ships. It's just stealing, stealing is not a videogame related concept.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By demonbear
@Video_Game_King said:
" I don't think that's what the people on Giant Bomb say they do when they mention "piracy." "
I've seen people here mention downloading PSP games and they're not on PSN.... :P
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure

It has to do with the culture around video games, as does playing games while sitting cross-legged on the floor, but it doesn't have to do with the concept behind the games themselves, nor their design, so it wouldn't really fit as a concept.  Any game can be pirated, so it's not like putting it in the database is very useful.

You might want to send an email to the Canadian Alliance Against Software Theft asking how to report piracy in your area, if you're keen on losing your friends.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Stang
@The_A_Drain said:
" Piracy is not a game related concept. That's why it's called piracy, because it dates back to when PIRATES used to do it, on actual ships. It's just stealing, stealing is not a videogame related concept. "
Just to nitpick, piracy is not stealing. It is copyright infringement.

That is all.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Stang:

Piracy is a warlike act of, usually violent, commited at sea, copyright infringement is 'sometimes referred to as piracy' that does not mean it overrides the original meaning of the word.

Stealing/Copyright Infringement, who gives a fuck? These people are still getting recent, costly to produce products for free, and do not deserve to do so. What's worse is that they often get them before legitimate consumers.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stang

I did not argue with you in the least, why so touchy? Stealing involves physically making something unavailable to the owner. Downloading a game does not fit that description. I do not disagree with your view, so calm down.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By PercyChuggs

How is this subject taboo? It's illegal and it's wrong, there's not grey area at all. People don't talk about it on podcasts because it's a one sided arguement.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By vidiot
@demonbear said:
 ...I don't drink anymore...
:(
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By demonbear
@vidiot said:
"
@demonbear said:
 ...I don't drink anymore...
:( "
I don't drink at bars anymore, there's always beer in the fridge, im canadian remember? :D

And i mea its taboo because gamers wont " go there" its a touchy subject, especially for those with illegal consoles, none of them are coming out " yeah im not paying for my games ".

Craziest thing is that the hacked 360s still have access to xbox live, thats nuts.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Gizmo

I like to think of it as "try before you buy". I have made too many duff purchases over the years to throw my money away on a crappy game.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By demonbear

Its like stealing a car before coming back to the dealership going " yeah, feels nice, i'll pay for that. I've paid for too many crappy cars in the past "

Dumb.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By delta_ass

When you steal a car, you're physically depriving the retailer of a car that they can sell.

Not to mention plenty of people take test drives of cars before they buy em.

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGodPoet

Piracy in all cases is wrong. The only time I can see it being justified is if you already bought the game and it breaks and then you pirate but you always buy it first.

Oh, and about hacked PSPs...having custom firmware on a PSP is actually pretty useful. Not going into specifics but the stuff you can do with it that doesn't involve piracy makes it great having custom firmware on it.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gizmo

Which is why Valve and Steam are so awesome.

They have weekends were you can "try before you buy".

Thus, I have never pirated a Valve made game, and happy to say I own all current Valve published titles legally.

Basically, Steam is the future.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By tekmojo

It's not like you can play online anyways (most of the time, unless with private servers). Not much you can say about it. The internet is too tough a place to regulate when thousands of people are seeding weeks before a game's release.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Ineedaname

I admit I download games, and I used to download to play them but since I've seen a few companies fold, I've change my mindset, I'll download it if there's no demo and treat the first few levels as a demo, if I like it I buy it, if not well I'm not going to continue playing it so I uninstall it, if there were more demos freely available it'd probably stop a little at least. I've just not got as much money as I used to so I'm cautious with what I buy.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus
@demonbear said:
"But when i see people with burned copies of Mass Effect, my Canadian heart burns with rage.
Ha, that's funny. Yeah, I know dudes who do that shit. Hell, if I trusted myself to crack open my XBOX and mess with the insides, I'd probably be doing it myself. I also don't want to void my warrenty, because I know that thing's gonna break again...

Do you think that was part of the plan all along? Opened consoles can't be fixed for free, and when you install the fear of enividible distruction into the minds of your customers, you get a lot less people pirating your games?
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By flaminghobo

I download games, while I play the game I'll think to myself just how much money in my opinion that game was worth, if I look up the game at the time and it's below or the same price as my evaluation I'll usually buy it fairly quickly. If not, I'll wait for a price drop.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By demonbear

Problem is, everyone has a reason to do it and i can't argue against all that, but i'm wondering what can be done about it.

I really can't believe xbox doesnt have something that can detect remotely that the integrity of an xbox has been compromised, and therefore, shuts down XBL. that should be a basic measure.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne
@demonbear said:
" Problem is, everyone has a reason to do it and i can't argue against all that, but i'm wondering what can be done about it.
I really can't believe xbox doesnt have something that can detect remotely that the integrity of an xbox has been compromised, and therefore, shuts down XBL. that should be a basic measure. "
What can be done about it is to make buying the product attractive. Screwing with the customer never worked, anti-piracy measures never work. Ever. Never have. Never will. The moment the companies realize that, like Monty Python did, and say: Well, there's piracy and we can't do anything about it, but we CAN try to talk to the people make them want to buy our products, then piracy will be fought much more productive than it is now.

And to your second point, that is what happens. Modified boxes are frequently banned from XBL in waves. If you mod your Xbox, you have VERY high chance of being banned from XBL.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne
@demonbear said:
" Problem is, everyone has a reason to do it and i can't argue against all that, but i'm wondering what can be done about it.
I really can't believe xbox doesnt have something that can detect remotely that the integrity of an xbox has been compromised, and therefore, shuts down XBL. that should be a basic measure. "
What can be done about it is to make buying the product attractive. Screwing with the customer never worked, anti-piracy measures never work. Ever. Never have. Never will. The moment the companies realize that, like Monty Python did, and say: Well, there's piracy and we can't do anything about it, but we CAN try to talk to the people make them want to buy our products, then piracy will be fought much more productive than it is now.

And to your second point, that is what happens. Modified boxes are frequently banned from XBL in waves. If you mod your Xbox, you have VERY high chance of being banned from XBL.
BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

I have never pirated a game for my consoles, but i think on the PC there are so many reasons that people do it, outside of not wanting to pay for. Especially as a lot of retailers refuse to accept returns if it doesn't work on your computer.

Do you know how annoying it is to spend xx amount of a game, only for it to not even work on your system. I do, and it isn't nice. So for me it is just to see if it works on my PC, but to be honest, it has been years since i have.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By demonbear
@Meowayne said:
"
@demonbear said:
What can be done about it is to make buying the product attractive.  "

What the hell are you talking about, what more do you need? We're living in an awesome gaming generation, games are coming left and right, all great stuff, what more do you want? The game delivered to your door by a sexy female clown ? gimme a break.

I say, cut the online on the hacked consoles. Hacked xbox? fine, BAM locked from xbox live servers. Pirated Wii? BAM, no online for you! ( thats not a great loss but still ) .

That'd be an easy start i think. If they wanna play, they'll play offline.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_A_Drain
@demonbear:

They already do that, but when they figure out a method of detecting a hacked xbox, the hackers just find another method of getting around it. All it does is create more work for everybody involved. Same for Nintendo and Sony, if they can PROVE you have a hacked console, it gets it's online functionality locked.
Zarile3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zarile3

I used to own a modded PS2. I had a whole dvd book of games, at least 150 games. How many of those did I play for more than an hour or two? probably about 10%. I always find that anything that I don't pay for, I don't sit down to play. If I downloaded a game and burned it, I would try it out and move onto something else usually. If I purchased it though, you can safely bet that I finished the game.

That's just me though. I now own a 360, and I can't buy a bunch of games, so I have a gamerang subscription and rent two at a time. Everyone month or two, when a major release hits, I buy that, but not always. It's been months since I have purchased any games, just keep renting.

The Iphone, that's a different story. With so many games coming out, it's hard to keep track of what is what. My Iphone is jailbroken, and I download games all the time. I rarely pay for games on the Iphone....but then again, the majority of the games I do download, I never finish.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Zarile3:

Not finishing it is no excuse. If you stole a can of coke and only drank half of it, you still stole a can of coke.
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By demonbear

You dont have cash for games but you have an iphone? Right.....

And like A Drain said, its no excuse.

And you're right, Drain, tough part is to prove that an xbox is hacked.

Zarile3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zarile3

Oh...I fully agree. I am not denying stealing it. All I am saying is that it's possibly the same for other people as well. That's just how it works for myself.

Then again, I am a pirate all the way, software, movies, and some music.

The thing is, a lot of games that deserve to be purchased aren't, and a lot of it stems to people not wanting to pay 60 bucks or whatever, for something they don't know is going to be good or bad. The new terminator game took me 2 and a half hours to beat, if I hadn't rented it, and instead purchased it, I would have been rightfully pissed. Demos are a great start, but a lot of games don't get demos. So what are you to do? Read the reviews, which most people hound anyway, and hope that the reviewer has the same opinion as you?

Out of all the games I finished on the PS2, probably 90% were games I bought. I have never tried or even thought about pirating my 360. And the Iphone has so many games that are either terrible, or great, even if its only a few dollars, it still adds up. I have played way to many bad games on the Iphone that I actually payed for, it eventually made me jailbreak, just so I wouldn't buy anymore shit games.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By rateoforange

"Try before you buy" is a morally bankrupt concept. I've likened it before to breaking into a movie theater through the exit and paying on the way out if you liked the film.

Zarile3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zarile3
@rateoforange:  haha...good idea...though they probably won't like that too much at the theater. That's also something I rarely pay for, it's nice to have a friend who splices film for your local theater. I just call him up, ask when he is working, and he walks us in for free. BUT, I do pay quite often for the theater, as my wife and I see a lot of movies, I don't want to get him into trouble for doing it once a week. So maybe 1 of every 3 movies we get in for free.
Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Eelcire
@rateoforange said:
""Try before you buy" is a morally bankrupt concept. I've likened it before to breaking into a movie theater through the exit and paying on the way out if you liked the film."

Actually, that concept is being tried out in various industires. I'd like to see it pushed and evolved more to see if it is a sustainable business model. Some musical artists have made their music available for free downoad, but give the option to pay what you find the work to be worth. There is also a restaurant that has also tried this, where you pay what you think the food/cooking is worth.

While I don't think this method will be fully sustainable in its current form, it does place more burden on the creators to make their content more compelling and worth more to the consumer. As releated to the game industry, the problem that arises is not every game is worth the $60 price tag; games should priced accordingly. Even this model doesn't always fan out as some games priced at $40 still don't do well - Viva Pinata :( So is even $40 too much for a game? That's debatable too.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CoverlessTech

The try before you buy thing is ridiculous. How long do you actually try for? How far do you play into the game? Do you actually buy afterward? If you've ever pirated a game and played for more then an hour and didn't go out and buy it then "try before you buy" is bullshit.

This is coming from someone who has in his time hacked more then his fair share of consoles.

Piracy sucks for everyone involved. The developers get jacked, the publishers get jacked and IMHO the gamer gets jacked. I'll tell you as someone who once had somewhat of a business modding consoles that gaming becomes significantly less enjoyable when you just download all your games for free.

I no longer mod or pirate for myself or anyone else and if I could I would honestly take it all back. But when I did I was literally just downloading everything burning it and putting it in a case never to be played. I was doing it for the "thrill" I guess but I extracted no enjoyment out of the actual process of playing games at all, hell I don't think I've ever even finished a game that I pirated, including games I actually liked. Now let me make it clear, I didn't hack everything, out of the new consoles I've only hacked Wiis and even then I still bought stuff I though was worthy(with no "try before you buy" bullcrap).

Pirating is scum and I admit I was once a pirate and an enabler for pirates, if you enjoy gaming then buy and enjoy your games, don't sink in a hole like I did. All my entertainment is now purchased legit and I'll tell you I get much more raw entertainment out of it(movies, music, games, whatever). There's nothing like buying a new CD cracking it open and just sitting and actually listening too it, it's just a completely different experience then downloading the MP3s, same with games and movies.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Eelcire:

This is cut/paste from another post I made in another thread where people were complaining about the cost of games and frankly, people should think themselves lucky when a game retails for anything less than $60. Some of this will seem out of context, like I said, straight copy/paste, and the points about minimum wage are relevant here too. If you are so poor that you can't afford to buy games, that's your own problem and more than likely (if you are out of education anyway) your own fault. Entertainment products are a luxury and if your on minimum wage you cannot afford luxuries.

American items are pretty damned cheap, honestly. Especially if you don't rush out abd buy everything day one, I mean come on, a few weeks after release nothing is full price and you know that for a fact, especially in todays climate, people are trying to flog stuff ASAP rather than make the most bucks.

Anyhow, regardless of what you think, here is a rough breakdown of where the cost goes per disc when you buy a brand new game.
Take for example, the asking price of $60 (excluding tax)
Distributor cut: 10% / $6
Store Cut : !0% / $6 (very often more, depends on the game)
Shipping/Handling: $5
Pressing of disc: $2 - 4 (This includes packaging, manual, etc)
Royalties: Depends on the game.
License cost: (This is taken by MS/Sony/Big N, paid PER DISC printed for their machines) $8

That is a minimum of $27 per disc, and very often it's only the HUGE publishers making this much money per disc, as the smaller ones have to pay higher printing/etc costs as they
aren't dealing with as much bulk.

So at the very most they make $33 per disc, although more often than not it's about $20, out of that they have to actually pay for the game (again, most games are made on
borrowed money) and pay pay any loans/etc before any of that turns to profit. When you consider the sheer amount of money it takes to make a game these days, especially
a so called 'AAA' title, (we're talking tens of millions of dollars) they aren't actually making a lot of money unless the game sells in the millions.

Most don't even profit!

So no I don't think you're doing all that badly, remember the NES, you were paying $70 back then (worth much more in todays money)

And as always, us in Europe (As well as Aus/Canada) pay even more than you do, and see less/inferior products than you, and highly inferior special edition offerings.

And when you consider pretty much all of Asia (excl Japan obviously) south america and eastern europe are about 50 times worse off than that, you really aren't doing so bad.

Edit: Oh and all this talk of minimum wage is, honestly, rubbish. If you're on min wage, you CANNOT AFFORD VIDEO GAMES. Use what little spare cash you have to
save or further your career/education. And if whatever country is being mentioned has a good/bad min wage then congrats/boohoo. It has nothing to do with the cost of
video games and bears little to no relevance as they are an extravagance, and entertainment product, non essential item, to be bought with expendable income. Something
which people on minimum wage do not have, in any country (cept maybe New Zealand) and more often than not, living costs weigh about even anyway.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By jakob187

Here's what I think:  Dragon Age is shipping with no type of copy protection.  End of story.

I don't think anything should ever be pirated, but it will be.  You can't stop it.  Maybe instead of trying to stop the unstoppable, people should start punishing the punishable.  = D

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Eelcire
@jakob187 said:
"Here's what I think:  Dragon Age is shipping with no type of copy protection.  End of story.I don't think anything should ever be pirated, but it will be.  You can't stop it.  Maybe instead of trying to stop the unstoppable, people should start punishing the punishable.  = D "

This, exactly.

@The_A_Drain:

Nice, now go up to your average consumer with that and ask if they care.

Really, I was already aware of the costs associated with creating a game, and of how retail does as well. And really, that wasn't the point of what I initially posted. I had replyed to a comment that brought up a point of basically getting the service first, then paying what you thought it worth (which the poster thought morally bankrupt). For the consumer it doesn't matter how much the game/movie/music/book cost to make; only what they are willing to pay for the end result.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Eelcire:

Well, quite frankly the average consumer can go fuck himself. He always wants cheaper and cheaper, no matter what the price is.

You stated that whether or not Viva Pinata was worth 40 bucks was debatable. I posted up some numbers that prove to you it's actually a pretty good price.

If people want cheaper games, they have to stop expecting the level of graphical detail and AI technology we're seeing nowadays, even the bad games are incredibly expensive to produce. The bigger companies just couldn't supprt a scheme even remotely similar to that, they simply wouldn't get funding for a project based on that model.

If people want games cheap, they can have them, but the quality level would be thrown back into the stone ages.

The market has proven it's willing to pay the price anyhow, developers just have to be careful what products they put out. Piracy is always going to be a problem but a scheme like that isn't going to fix anything, it would do more harm than good. For the moment the bigger companies are making their money, but it's the smaller publishers who are hurting, people like Stardock for example, who are one of the most consumer friendly companies you could ever hope to deal with. If they can't get people to pay a reasonable price for their games, then you might as well give up. (And that's what $60 is, i'll accept no other argument as reasonable because honestly, consumers are idiots and always want want want.)
Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Eelcire
@The_A_Drain:

Actually, Viva Pianta was worth more than $40 to me, but what was debatable was what the average "go fuck himself" consumer thought if it even worth the $40. Now ask yourself this: did the game not sell well because consumers thought it wasn't worth the $40, or was it because Microsoft did a bad job at marketing the value of the game. Probably a little of both really.

Back to my original point though of paying something's worth. Bioshock is now one of my favorite games, and after playing it back to back to back, and still loving it, I would've gladly paid more than the $60 for the game. Why? Because for me the game is worth it. For others though, Bioshock may be a average game only worth $30. How does a publisher exploit the willingness to get money out of someone who is willing to shell out more money for the game, yet at the same time attract those who aren't willing to pay as much? A set price doesn't seem to be the answer.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jimbo

The 'try before you buy' argument is bullshit.  Like all the other pro-piracy arguments.

You can't justify it, but the industry still has to deal with it.  I think there is an argument to be made for more realistic pricing, especially on digital distribution, where the overheads of selling 10 units is barely any different to selling 1 unit.

It should never be the case that digital distribution price is more than on the high street.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CoverlessTech
@Eelcire: If someone was to adopt that pricing model everyone would just give a dollar. No one is going to willingly give more then they have to and if you're so willing to pay more did you send a check to 2K because you thought it was worth more? No you didn't, and if you could have only payed $30 you would have.

It's all good to say that but no one would ever do it. Plus game publishers DO charge what they believe a game is worth, you made a great example with Viva Pinata. Not every game is released at $60 and no one would ever actually pay a bunch of money when they don't have to, therefore your point is moot.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Eelcire:

Well no, you're right, that's not how it works.

After a certain amount of time (agreed upon by the stockists and publishers, after the videogame crash of the 80s, stores now only stock games if the sales contract allows them to return leftover stock to the publisher for a full refund, as bullshit as that is imo, it's common practice) the stores return the games to the publishers for a refund, and the publishers then drop the price accordingly to get rid of them. It's then that the consumers who wanted a game, but not for the full price, will pick them up. I do it all the time, I wait until a game is £10, or £18 (the usual price marks) on play.com, and pick them up. By that point, they don't care about the set retail price, they just want to recouperate money. Works the same way in all other retail industries, it's all well and good making profit, but if the stock is no longer selling, you have to get rid of it.

The consumer who wants it cheaper just has to wait a while, which imo isnt that large a price to pay. The longer the game sells well though, the longer it stays full price, so if you wanted Halo 3 or Gears of War for cheap, you had to wait an awful long time, but thats the way it goes.

Edit: as for 'the answer' there is no answer, a large majority of the people who steal videogames do it regardless of what publishers do. They could be selling the game for a buck and people would still steal it. I think the current setup works just fine, developers just have to find a way of working around PC DRM so it doesnt affect legitimate consumers (which they are doing with programs like Goo) and then noone has any 'excuse' to steal, and the ones still doing it don't even have a weak, flimsy defense left.
Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Eelcire
@CoverlessTech:

See, I only got the value out of Bioshock after I played the game, same thing with Viva Pinata. I bought Bioshock for $60 at launch (which was a risky purchase for me as I usually don't care for FPSs), and Viva Pinata at $20 because I thought "for $20 what the hell, and I usually like simulators". And while I'm not just sending out a check to 2K for Bioshock, they are guaranteed a sale from me for the next Bioshock game, plus 2K builds a litle more rep for me. Just like Blizzard, who have yet to let me down on a game I have purchased from them, and therefore guranteed a sale.

And I think it'd be interesting if a publisher could be guranteed a dollar for every copy made of a game; they might even find it profitable (though I think you're not giving consumers enough credit).

I also find it interesting that many posts here criticize piracy, but at the same time only buy the games at bargin bin levels. What say all of you on the used game market then? In the eyes of publishers I'd imagine that it is no different than piracy.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@demonbear: except you are often given the chance to test drive a car before you ever consider a purchase. Very few games actually have playable demos (even then they are usuall not indicative of the whole).
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_A_Drain
@GetEveryone:

The problem with that is that with a car, is a huge purchase, and designed to perform a function repeatedly, you need to know if it performs that function to your liking. The dealership can keep one or more cars reserved for test driving, and the consumer still gets a brand new one (supposedly) when he purchases.

The problem with applying that to a game is that the game is only designed to perform it's functions once, once they are done the majority of consumers will be 'finished' with the product, so allowing them to see too much of that before purchasing is damaging to the salability of the product. The other problem is that demo's take time and money to product, although I still think that all games should have demo versions.

I agree there is a problem with not knowing what you are buying, but showing the consumer the whole product completely removes their need for the purchase in the first place.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

How are you mentioning the 360 with piracy?  It's barely pirated.  The psp is a bit more, but still not by anyone who knows how to use the interwebz.  Pc piracy is where it's at.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By demonbear
@GetEveryone: That's playing on words, the equivalent for that in gaming would be what? You in a store going : im taking that halo copy for a try. Clerk comes with you on your console at home, you guys play for a while and then you turn to him and go " Meh. "

Doesnt work. And like it's been said here, ANY excuse for piracy is a bad excuse by default. Although im having a much tougher time with people playing illegal copies of games online among the rest of us.
Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Eelcire

So a quick question:

How many would be willing to pay an initial $10 for a full game on the premise that afterwards you had the option to pay more based on your own value?

or

How many would be willing to pay an initial $10 for a full game on the premise that afterwards you had to pay based on a set range of amounts (+$10 more, +$15 more...)?

The pusblisher will get some money out of the deal up front, and a potential amount of more money if they put out a good product. There would also be the added benefit of consumer response to a product; if a majority of consumers only pay the minimum, then maybe the product could have been either better advertised or better made. If many consumers paid more, then you're doing something right and only improve from there. Just a guess here, but I think the payment structure would follow that of the standared bell curve. The real question is what numbers would be needed to be in place to be profitable.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_A_Drain
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"How are you mentioning the 360 with piracy?  It's barely pirated.  The psp is a bit more, but still not by anyone who knows how to use the interwebz.  Pc piracy is where it's at. "

Yeah, this. Kinda.

360 piracy is rife, but you'd be surprised how many people do it to play pirated games, it's actually not as many as PSP/DS and PC pirates. A lot of people do it to cheat over Xbox Live.

It's still a major problem though, I mean you only have to look at Fallout 3 (Xbox 360 version leaked a week early)
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jimbo
@Eelcire:  Are you high?