The Greatest Console Shooter (this generation)? Let's be respectful :)

• 83 results
CptMorganCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Poll The Greatest Console Shooter (this generation)? Let's be respectful :) (147 votes)

Call of Duty Black Ops II 3%
Call of Duty Black Ops 1%
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 46%
Battlefield 3 10%
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 14%
Halo 3 14%
Halo Reach 5%
Halo 4 2%
Battlefield: Bad Company 1?? 2%
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 6%

Now, first of all, every one of these games is great in it's own way if you ask me. Not looking for meaningless wars, just curious what people's favorite shooter is and why. Let's keep it purely conversational and respectful :) (and don't hesitate to point out what I left out of the choices)

I say BF: Bad Company 2, because of it's superb balance of weapons and excellent map design. I will take Battlefield's immense scale and teamwork-based gameplay over the more personal and twitch-based CoD games any day. I'm a big fan of Halo Reach, but I can never play more than a match or so at a time without getting bored.

• 
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

so, uh, apparently the only shooters that exist are halo, call of duty and battlefield?

CptMorganCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CptMorganCA
@animasta said:

so, uh, apparently the only shooters that exist are halo, call of duty and battlefield?

Like I said, if your favorite isn't included, please point it out! Just didn't want to put 30 answers. :)

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

You list is missing Bioshock, Alan Wake, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3 (or Uncharted 2 as some prefer), MAG (the sheer scope of that game makes it deserve recognition) and Resistance 3. And that is just off the top of my head.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

As much as everyone likes to rag on CoD, I feel like the first Modern Warfare had the greatest overall impact on games this generation, not just shooters.

CptMorganCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You list is missing Bioshock, Alan Wake, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3 (or Uncharted 2 as some prefer), MAG (the sheer scope of that game makes it deserve recognition) and Resistance 3. And that is just off the top of my head.

What I really forgot to do was say "Greatest Multiplayer Shooter", because that's what I meant lol. But yea, should've thrown Uncharted 3 and MAG in there.

CptMorganCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as everyone likes to rag on CoD, I feel like the first Modern Warfare had the greatest overall impact on games this generation, not just shooters.

I would mostly agree! It definitely helped shape modern standards for multiplayer in general, and was responsible for the idea of every game needing to have a MP component.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaMisterChief

I'd say Modern Warfare 2, 60 Fps, streamling (COD4's) to the lustful ranking up (making Multiplayer last long and keep you playing endlessly. The hype train for this game was CRAZY, then of course COD is what it is today. Also i spent 600+ hours playing this game (I've stopped playing COD since then). I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hyped when this trailer came out.

Loading Video...

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cptmorganca I guess another interesting question would be whether or not it's a positive impact on the industry.

CptMorganCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UPDATE: Hey everyone, it's important to know that when naming the poll I meant to say "Greatest Multiplayer Shooter", which is why there are obvious single player shooters absent like Bioshock and Alan Wake.

Also, some obvious omissions include Gears of War and Uncharted.

CptMorganCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Modern Warfare 2, 60 Fps, streamling (COD4's) to the lustful ranking up (making Multiplayer last long and keep you playing endlessly. The hype train for this game was CRAZY, then of course COD is what it is today. Also i spent 600+ hours playing this game (I've stopped playing COD since then). I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hyped when this trailer came out.

Loading Video...

I was also pretty bananas for MW2 when it came out. They improved on basically everything from 4, not to mention it was a big refresher after WaW.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

CoD4 is the only answer.

hiono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if were talking about impact then the only answer is cod4 but my favorite is shadowrun by far

CptMorganCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hiono said:

if were talking about impact then the only answer is cod4 but my favorite is shadowrun by far

Shadowrun is a very interesting choice! I remember playing that a lot for a while. I really loved the powers and the Counter-Strikeness of it.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Torn between Halo 3 and CoD4...

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Borderlands was pretty cool.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aetheldod

@cptmorganca: Not to be a dick but most of those are available for PC as well .... so a Halo game wins by defeault (mine would be Reach)

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CptMorganCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cptmorganca: Not to be a dick but most of those are available for PC as well .... so a Halo game wins by defeault (mine would be Reach)

You misinterpreted the title. Didn't mean to make it sound like these games are console exclusives, just games that are on consoles.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rainbow Six: Vegas

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Team Fortress 2.

Hilarity? Check! Interesting classes and abilities? Check! A multiplayer I'm shite at but hey, there's 40 people in this game so I'm bound to kill som- OH GAWD DAMN SPIES!? Double fucking check! A Scotsman akin to those I grew up with, including patented Whiskey Bottle? Feckin aye! (and lets not forget loot, trading, the 'Meet The' videos and-and...oh wait 'The Greatest CONSOLE Shooter...thats also multiplayer)

*remembers TF2 on 360*

Fuckit, Gears of War 3...

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD4. Not even a hard choice for me.

BF3 is still fucking good, though, and would be the shooter I would play right now if I wasn't kind of tired of shooters for a bit.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By BigBoss1911

Very Original poll options......anyway Killzone 2

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mandude

I voted for Call of Duty 4 before I realised I've never played it on a console.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD4, let's not be crazy here now. Biggest impact on the industry by a single game this gen, let alone FPS, bar none.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if the poll is meant to be multiplayer only, this is still a terrible list of options. How is this supposed to represent the entire generation when only games from three series are listed?

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rpgee

"Greatest" is such a nebulous term that it's not even really appropriate in most instances. Is it the best quality? Is it the most influential? Is it the most popular? It's kind of an overused term all round, to me.

That said, COD4 was the one that made multiplayer at all appealing to my young self, was ridiculously popular, basically changed the nature of what the standard for multiplayer shooters was for those following, did a lot of good shit. And hey, the campaign wasn't bad either.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

It's COD4, there's no contest. No other game had such a knock-on effect on the way literally every game has been developed since.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a lot of fun with Gears of War 3. I vastly prefer co-op(fuck yeah horde mode!) to competitive gaming when it comes to shooter games.

Dauthi693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think CoD4:MW was the most important shooter this gen but my opinion would be Halo 3 and Battlefield 3 were better multiplayer shooters just they didn't have the impact of COD4:MW.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I easily had the most multiplayer fun with Killzone 3 this generation, I think it was the best CoD varient come out. I had one of the best class systems outside of TF2. That being said I think I got the the fourth prestige on MW2 though.

CptMorganCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if the poll is meant to be multiplayer only, this is still a terrible list of options. How is this supposed to represent the entire generation when only games from three series are listed?

Like I said man, if your favorite isn't up there, I'm interested to see what it is. I only made it a poll to make it interesting, it's meant to be a discussion.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gogosox82

What about TF2? I still have fun with that game and I've been playing it for like 3 years. I also thought killzone2's multiplayer was pretty good. BFBC was a fun game to play.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By project343

Okay. So multiplayer-only?

My poll: Rainbow Six Vegas 2; your poll: Modern Warfare.

(also, why wouldn't you have Gears of War 3 or Killzone 3 on there?)

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Bad Company 2, hands down.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigboss1911: Oh man, Killzone 2 multiplayer was fantastic but then 3 really had to ruin it. To me they lost a lot of what was so special from Killzone 2. Fuck the haters who complained it felt too heavy, I really enjoyed the way it felt. It also had a very good match-making system as I actually got my PS3 in 2009 and picked up Killzone 2 with it but the scene was still alive and it did a very good job of putting equal level players in the same matches, something that KZ3 scrapped.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seppli

It was Battlefield Bad Company 1 that got me into playing FPS games on consoles and truely enjoying online multiplayer gameplay on consoles. So that has been the most impactful and important for me. Also love the extensive environmental destruction that it brought to the mix. Don't want to miss that in any of my shooters.

My absolute favorite online multiplayer FPS experience of this console generation however? BF:BC 2 Vietnam. Most fun choppers ever. And then the music! Nothing quite like it. To this very day.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Before my interest in shooters dropped off I probably had the most fun with COD 4 so im gonna go with that.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most influental is easily CoD4, however Far Cry 3 pretty much proved that "shooters" can be so much more than just corridor shooting and deathmatch multiplayer. If only the genre went back to it's roots of exploration over spectacle....

Still though, depending on how technical you want to be about it, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are both "shooters" and easily quite superior to any of these traditional FPS's in my mind. Hell even the Uncharted series is way better when it comes to it's single-player content, but I would assume that's not what's in question here.

hiono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hiono

@hiono said:

Shadowrun is a very interesting choice! I remember playing that a lot for a while. I really loved the powers and the Counter-Strikeness of it.

i was really into competitive shooters at the time, didnt have a good pc, and hated halo 3 so it was the perfect fit for me at the time. i only have good memories of it

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the story and cast of Bad Company so much that I was willing to try an over look my hatred for playing shooters on consoles just to play that game. So it gets my vote.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Duty 4 no question. It had a good single player campaign, and a fun, fast multiplayer with a leveling up and gun customization mechanic that every other online game (not even just shooters) stole from.

But Killzone 2 gets an honorable mention. It had good clan support, an interesting combination of class based characters that you could customize abilities for, a website to keep track of stats and a way to review battles, and the way they combined all the gametypes in warzone was awesome, and even tho everyone else hated the heavy fell of the controls i liked em. Then Killzone 3 had to mess it up.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By EpicSteve

Call of Duty 4 was this generation's GTA III.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By awesomeusername

MW2 was shit. Also,

Call of Duty 4 was this generation's GTA III.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

UPDATE: Hey everyone, it's important to know that when naming the poll I meant to say "Greatest Multiplayer Shooter", which is why there are obvious single player shooters absent like Bioshock and Alan Wake.

Also, some obvious omissions include Gears of War and Uncharted.

Ah, and here I was about to settle in for some thinking on which shooter I enjoyed the most this generation. See, I'm stuck in this age-old mindset that when people say "greatest video game", I don't even think about multiplayer.

But that doesn't mean that I don't play multiplayer. I liked Halo 3 a whole hell of a lot, I played it with friends from high school for a couple of years. Another reason I would say it is because it was one of the last few big multiplayer shooters that didn't unlock new stuff as you progressed. I don't want to say that it didn't have a progression system per se because you could get new ranks and stuff, but you never unlocked anything. Generally, everyone started with the same gun and you picked up the rocket launcher from its spawn point, not from a menu. I think Halo Reach was the last big-name multiplayer shooter that was like that. CS:GO doesn't have unlocks either, but it does ask you to pay money if you die during a round for new guns.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote Battlefield 3, because I like Battlefield. There, solid argument.

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for me. I played CoD MW 1&2 but wasn't quite happy with it. Probably my skills weren't meant for such twitch-and-dead things, but BC2 managed to take that twitch gaming that I enjoyed-despite-sucking and overlaid a layer of team-emphasis tactics that could transform a punk like me into an invaluable support player (repair, spotter, etc).

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If you're going to try to make a somewhat serious poll, then you should be better prepared.

Also, it's obvious that COD 4 would take the most votes.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

If we're voting for multiplayer shooters, I'd be hard pressed to choose between Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead 2. Sure, TF2 and L4D2 are better on PC, but so is Battlefield 3, so, yeah.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd call this a longshot, but Dust 514 has crazy potential being both an MMO and tied to the craziest game out there EVE Online. But having played it, I can't say it's there yet.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Mass Effect 3. I can't get enough of the multiplayer in that game.