• 81 results
Posted by CptMorganCA (200 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

The Greatest Console Shooter (this generation)? Let's be respectful :) (147 votes)

Call of Duty Black Ops II 3%
Call of Duty Black Ops 1%
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 46%
Battlefield 3 10%
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 14%
Halo 3 14%
Halo Reach 5%
Halo 4 2%
Battlefield: Bad Company 1?? 2%
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 6%

Now, first of all, every one of these games is great in it's own way if you ask me. Not looking for meaningless wars, just curious what people's favorite shooter is and why. Let's keep it purely conversational and respectful :) (and don't hesitate to point out what I left out of the choices)

I say BF: Bad Company 2, because of it's superb balance of weapons and excellent map design. I will take Battlefield's immense scale and teamwork-based gameplay over the more personal and twitch-based CoD games any day. I'm a big fan of Halo Reach, but I can never play more than a match or so at a time without getting bored.

#1 Posted by Animasta (14464 posts) -

so, uh, apparently the only shooters that exist are halo, call of duty and battlefield?

#2 Edited by CptMorganCA (200 posts) -
@animasta said:

so, uh, apparently the only shooters that exist are halo, call of duty and battlefield?

Like I said, if your favorite isn't included, please point it out! Just didn't want to put 30 answers. :)

#3 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -

You list is missing Bioshock, Alan Wake, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3 (or Uncharted 2 as some prefer), MAG (the sheer scope of that game makes it deserve recognition) and Resistance 3. And that is just off the top of my head.

#4 Posted by Grimluck343 (1132 posts) -

As much as everyone likes to rag on CoD, I feel like the first Modern Warfare had the greatest overall impact on games this generation, not just shooters.

#5 Posted by CptMorganCA (200 posts) -

You list is missing Bioshock, Alan Wake, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3 (or Uncharted 2 as some prefer), MAG (the sheer scope of that game makes it deserve recognition) and Resistance 3. And that is just off the top of my head.

What I really forgot to do was say "Greatest Multiplayer Shooter", because that's what I meant lol. But yea, should've thrown Uncharted 3 and MAG in there.

#6 Posted by CptMorganCA (200 posts) -

As much as everyone likes to rag on CoD, I feel like the first Modern Warfare had the greatest overall impact on games this generation, not just shooters.

I would mostly agree! It definitely helped shape modern standards for multiplayer in general, and was responsible for the idea of every game needing to have a MP component.

#7 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

I'd say Modern Warfare 2, 60 Fps, streamling (COD4's) to the lustful ranking up (making Multiplayer last long and keep you playing endlessly. The hype train for this game was CRAZY, then of course COD is what it is today. Also i spent 600+ hours playing this game (I've stopped playing COD since then). I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hyped when this trailer came out.

#8 Posted by Grimluck343 (1132 posts) -

@cptmorganca I guess another interesting question would be whether or not it's a positive impact on the industry.

#9 Posted by CptMorganCA (200 posts) -

UPDATE: Hey everyone, it's important to know that when naming the poll I meant to say "Greatest Multiplayer Shooter", which is why there are obvious single player shooters absent like Bioshock and Alan Wake.

Also, some obvious omissions include Gears of War and Uncharted.

#10 Posted by CptMorganCA (200 posts) -

I'd say Modern Warfare 2, 60 Fps, streamling (COD4's) to the lustful ranking up (making Multiplayer last long and keep you playing endlessly. The hype train for this game was CRAZY, then of course COD is what it is today. Also i spent 600+ hours playing this game (I've stopped playing COD since then). I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hyped when this trailer came out.

I was also pretty bananas for MW2 when it came out. They improved on basically everything from 4, not to mention it was a big refresher after WaW.

#11 Posted by Miketakon (512 posts) -

CoD4 is the only answer.

#12 Posted by hiono (48 posts) -

if were talking about impact then the only answer is cod4 but my favorite is shadowrun by far

#13 Posted by CptMorganCA (200 posts) -

@hiono said:

if were talking about impact then the only answer is cod4 but my favorite is shadowrun by far

Shadowrun is a very interesting choice! I remember playing that a lot for a while. I really loved the powers and the Counter-Strikeness of it.

#14 Posted by MistaSparkle (2146 posts) -

Torn between Halo 3 and CoD4...

#15 Posted by Fattony12000 (6366 posts) -

Borderlands was pretty cool.

#16 Edited by Aetheldod (3344 posts) -

@cptmorganca: Not to be a dick but most of those are available for PC as well .... so a Halo game wins by defeault (mine would be Reach)

#17 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#18 Posted by CptMorganCA (200 posts) -

@cptmorganca: Not to be a dick but most of those are available for PC as well .... so a Halo game wins by defeault (mine would be Reach)

You misinterpreted the title. Didn't mean to make it sound like these games are console exclusives, just games that are on consoles.

#19 Posted by Warfare (1632 posts) -

Rainbow Six: Vegas

#20 Posted by ThePencil (390 posts) -

Team Fortress 2.

Hilarity? Check! Interesting classes and abilities? Check! A multiplayer I'm shite at but hey, there's 40 people in this game so I'm bound to kill som- OH GAWD DAMN SPIES!? Double fucking check! A Scotsman akin to those I grew up with, including patented Whiskey Bottle? Feckin aye! (and lets not forget loot, trading, the 'Meet The' videos and-and...oh wait 'The Greatest CONSOLE Shooter...thats also multiplayer)

*remembers TF2 on 360*

Fuckit, Gears of War 3...

#21 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

CoD4. Not even a hard choice for me.

BF3 is still fucking good, though, and would be the shooter I would play right now if I wasn't kind of tired of shooters for a bit.

#22 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2353 posts) -

Very Original poll options......anyway Killzone 2

#23 Edited by mandude (2667 posts) -

I voted for Call of Duty 4 before I realised I've never played it on a console.

#24 Posted by PillClinton (3284 posts) -

CoD4, let's not be crazy here now. Biggest impact on the industry by a single game this gen, let alone FPS, bar none.

#25 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1273 posts) -

Even if the poll is meant to be multiplayer only, this is still a terrible list of options. How is this supposed to represent the entire generation when only games from three series are listed?

#26 Edited by RPGee (759 posts) -

"Greatest" is such a nebulous term that it's not even really appropriate in most instances. Is it the best quality? Is it the most influential? Is it the most popular? It's kind of an overused term all round, to me.

That said, COD4 was the one that made multiplayer at all appealing to my young self, was ridiculously popular, basically changed the nature of what the standard for multiplayer shooters was for those following, did a lot of good shit. And hey, the campaign wasn't bad either.

#27 Posted by Bollard (5031 posts) -

It's COD4, there's no contest. No other game had such a knock-on effect on the way literally every game has been developed since.

#28 Posted by Vexxan (4600 posts) -

I had a lot of fun with Gears of War 3. I vastly prefer co-op(fuck yeah horde mode!) to competitive gaming when it comes to shooter games.

#29 Posted by Dauthi693 (129 posts) -

I think CoD4:MW was the most important shooter this gen but my opinion would be Halo 3 and Battlefield 3 were better multiplayer shooters just they didn't have the impact of COD4:MW.

#30 Posted by AmatureIdiot (985 posts) -

I easily had the most multiplayer fun with Killzone 3 this generation, I think it was the best CoD varient come out. I had one of the best class systems outside of TF2. That being said I think I got the the fourth prestige on MW2 though.

#31 Posted by CptMorganCA (200 posts) -

Even if the poll is meant to be multiplayer only, this is still a terrible list of options. How is this supposed to represent the entire generation when only games from three series are listed?

Like I said man, if your favorite isn't up there, I'm interested to see what it is. I only made it a poll to make it interesting, it's meant to be a discussion.

#32 Edited by gogosox82 (413 posts) -

What about TF2? I still have fun with that game and I've been playing it for like 3 years. I also thought killzone2's multiplayer was pretty good. BFBC was a fun game to play.

#33 Edited by project343 (2807 posts) -

Okay. So multiplayer-only?

My poll: Rainbow Six Vegas 2; your poll: Modern Warfare.

(also, why wouldn't you have Gears of War 3 or Killzone 3 on there?)

#34 Posted by AuthenticM (3672 posts) -

Bad Company 2, hands down.

#35 Posted by mrcraggle (1698 posts) -

@bigboss1911: Oh man, Killzone 2 multiplayer was fantastic but then 3 really had to ruin it. To me they lost a lot of what was so special from Killzone 2. Fuck the haters who complained it felt too heavy, I really enjoyed the way it felt. It also had a very good match-making system as I actually got my PS3 in 2009 and picked up Killzone 2 with it but the scene was still alive and it did a very good job of putting equal level players in the same matches, something that KZ3 scrapped.

#36 Edited by Seppli (9766 posts) -

It was Battlefield Bad Company 1 that got me into playing FPS games on consoles and truely enjoying online multiplayer gameplay on consoles. So that has been the most impactful and important for me. Also love the extensive environmental destruction that it brought to the mix. Don't want to miss that in any of my shooters.

My absolute favorite online multiplayer FPS experience of this console generation however? BF:BC 2 Vietnam. Most fun choppers ever. And then the music! Nothing quite like it. To this very day.

#37 Posted by Happenstance (455 posts) -

Before my interest in shooters dropped off I probably had the most fun with COD 4 so im gonna go with that.

#38 Posted by Ares42 (2447 posts) -

The most influental is easily CoD4, however Far Cry 3 pretty much proved that "shooters" can be so much more than just corridor shooting and deathmatch multiplayer. If only the genre went back to it's roots of exploration over spectacle....

Still though, depending on how technical you want to be about it, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are both "shooters" and easily quite superior to any of these traditional FPS's in my mind. Hell even the Uncharted series is way better when it comes to it's single-player content, but I would assume that's not what's in question here.

#39 Edited by hiono (48 posts) -

@hiono said:

Shadowrun is a very interesting choice! I remember playing that a lot for a while. I really loved the powers and the Counter-Strikeness of it.

i was really into competitive shooters at the time, didnt have a good pc, and hated halo 3 so it was the perfect fit for me at the time. i only have good memories of it

#40 Posted by crusader8463 (14326 posts) -

I loved the story and cast of Bad Company so much that I was willing to try an over look my hatred for playing shooters on consoles just to play that game. So it gets my vote.

#41 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (921 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 no question. It had a good single player campaign, and a fun, fast multiplayer with a leveling up and gun customization mechanic that every other online game (not even just shooters) stole from.

But Killzone 2 gets an honorable mention. It had good clan support, an interesting combination of class based characters that you could customize abilities for, a website to keep track of stats and a way to review battles, and the way they combined all the gametypes in warzone was awesome, and even tho everyone else hated the heavy fell of the controls i liked em. Then Killzone 3 had to mess it up.

#42 Edited by EpicSteve (6444 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 was this generation's GTA III.

#43 Edited by awesomeusername (4060 posts) -

MW2 was shit. Also,

Call of Duty 4 was this generation's GTA III.

#44 Posted by believer258 (11059 posts) -

UPDATE: Hey everyone, it's important to know that when naming the poll I meant to say "Greatest Multiplayer Shooter", which is why there are obvious single player shooters absent like Bioshock and Alan Wake.

Also, some obvious omissions include Gears of War and Uncharted.

Ah, and here I was about to settle in for some thinking on which shooter I enjoyed the most this generation. See, I'm stuck in this age-old mindset that when people say "greatest video game", I don't even think about multiplayer.

But that doesn't mean that I don't play multiplayer. I liked Halo 3 a whole hell of a lot, I played it with friends from high school for a couple of years. Another reason I would say it is because it was one of the last few big multiplayer shooters that didn't unlock new stuff as you progressed. I don't want to say that it didn't have a progression system per se because you could get new ranks and stuff, but you never unlocked anything. Generally, everyone started with the same gun and you picked up the rocket launcher from its spawn point, not from a menu. I think Halo Reach was the last big-name multiplayer shooter that was like that. CS:GO doesn't have unlocks either, but it does ask you to pay money if you die during a round for new guns.

#45 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

I vote Battlefield 3, because I like Battlefield. There, solid argument.

#46 Posted by blueneurosis (82 posts) -

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for me. I played CoD MW 1&2 but wasn't quite happy with it. Probably my skills weren't meant for such twitch-and-dead things, but BC2 managed to take that twitch gaming that I enjoyed-despite-sucking and overlaid a layer of team-emphasis tactics that could transform a punk like me into an invaluable support player (repair, spotter, etc).

#47 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

If you're going to try to make a somewhat serious poll, then you should be better prepared.

Also, it's obvious that COD 4 would take the most votes.

#48 Posted by Little_Socrates (5650 posts) -

If we're voting for multiplayer shooters, I'd be hard pressed to choose between Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead 2. Sure, TF2 and L4D2 are better on PC, but so is Battlefield 3, so, yeah.

#49 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

I'd call this a longshot, but Dust 514 has crazy potential being both an MMO and tied to the craziest game out there EVE Online. But having played it, I can't say it's there yet.

#50 Posted by WarlordPayne (692 posts) -

Probably Mass Effect 3. I can't get enough of the multiplayer in that game.