#101 Edited by Blind_Evil (306 posts) -

Seeing how dumb the internet has gotten over the PS4 reveal has me so very stoked for how much dumber it'll get every month between now and December.

@Alex, great work again. A couple phrases I would've edited ("vocal voices"), but this column has filled a gap in the site's coverage I didn't even realize existed.

#102 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Another great read :) Nice work, Alex!

#103 Posted by whatisdelicious (1228 posts) -

@alex: It's kind of true though. You need technology to advance before you can have the kind of emotions that David Cage is trying to make. He's not trying to make cartoony characters like The Walking Dead that just sidestep realism altogether; he's trying to make digital actors.

Just look at L.A. Noire. That game has some incredibly sophisticated (and expensive) technology thrown behind it and it pays off in spades. I seriously cannot look at other games now without thinking about how terrible the animations look compared to L.A. Noire. That Deep Down tech demo? The first guy that talks? His face looked incredibly detailed and yet completely unconvincing to me.

I get what you're saying, that limitations foster creativity and that's how you get cool stuff like The Walking Dead, but sometimes it's not that simple. If you want digital faces to look and animate like real faces, digital people to move and behave like real people, you need technology to advance.

#104 Edited by whatisdelicious (1228 posts) -
@luddite said:

I also fail to comprehend why people would care what the PS4 looks like. Are they going to not purchase it solely on the grounds that it does not fit with their decor? That's called missing the god damn point.

I think hardcore gamers watching totally miss the point if they get mad over a lack of a box, but I understand it from the mainstream perspective. People like seeing things. They like to see something tangible. They want to know what it'll look like, kind of like how we all sit around and watching unboxing videos. If Apple announces a new iPad, I'm on the outside fringes of that world, so I don't care about the specs, but I am curious to see what it looks like.

Take my housemate for example. He plays games sometimes, but he's pretty casual on the spectrum. Mostly sports games. He really liked Need For Speed: Most Wanted, but he definitely didn't finish it or anything. He doesn't like story in games. I got him to try Dark Souls and he skipped the opening cut scene and it killed me a little bit on the inside to watch. He likes escapism. It doesn't surprise me at all that it bothered him that they didn't show the box.

All I want to know about the box is that it's quiet, it won't break, and the USB ports are easy to access. That's all. But he wanted to see what it looks like because that's his point of reference for it.

#105 Posted by CptMorganCA (208 posts) -

The most exciting prospects of the PS4 for me stem less from the hardware, but the software and social features.

• Being able to try out any game via the Cloud
  • Adding the option of Real-Name Accounts
  • Exiting out of a game at anytime and returning where you left off (similar to what you can do with the Vita right now)
  • The Share Button

And of course, prettier games are cool.

#106 Posted by Hilts (261 posts) -

This is a super shitty news about 1UP, UGO and Gamespy. I loved 1UP.com and the 1UP show. The team had such a passion for what they were doing it was a real inspiration. It made me realise that I was not alone as a video game fanatic.

Best wishes to all those affected.

Matt Chandronait and Anthony Gallegos, who were part of the 1UP crew, still run the fantastic 'Rebel FM' podcast together with Arthur Gies from Polygon...also a follower of Giantbomb. You should check it out for super impartial gaming and relationship advice!

#107 Edited by Helios1337 (326 posts) -

I guess I was hoping Sony wouldn't try compete directly with Microsoft again with just prettier first person shooters and social networking features. I was hoping they would take a gamble and bring out a console that was primarily focused on bringing over Japanese developed games that you can't find on PC or Xbox. I'm sure they will still have a few titles a year that get translated and released almost secretly like with the PS3, but I was hoping for them to be the forefront. Yeah, people say that Japanese developers are way behind, but lets throw some cash at them one last time and give them a platform to showcase what they come up with.

#108 Posted by CptMorganCA (208 posts) -

@hilts said:

This is a super shitty news about 1UP, UGO and Gamespy. I loved 1UP.com and the 1UP show. The team had such a passion for what they were doing it was a real inspiration. It made me realise that I was not alone as a video game fanatic.

Best wishes to all those affected.

Matt Chandronait and Anthony Gallegos, who were part of the 1UP crew, still run the fantastic 'Rebel FM' podcast together with Arthur Gies from Polygon...also a follower of Giantbomb. You should check it out for super impartial gaming and relationship advice!

Preach it, brother.

#109 Posted by TheMasterDS (2084 posts) -

People complaining about Sony not putting forward a box are crazy. Yo, Nintendo didn't have a box either when they announced their console! That's the way of things these days. Announce the controls, the specs, the frills first and get into the little trifling details that won't impact you much past day 1 anyway. You won't care about the looks after a year of having it, nor will you care about the price. I already don't care about how expensive the Wii U was.

#110 Posted by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

the original 1up team was great, never forget

That first video is beautiful for having the smiling Jeff Green in the top left.

that really was a nice touch considering how that intro was created after jeff green left 1up.

i believe thats the last intro before the show got canceled.

#111 Posted by evanbower (1215 posts) -

@haggis said:

"So to call Sony out as some have for not showing the box strikes me as petty and maybe just a little bit beside the point."

Not really. I'm a little surprised that so many are covering Sony's ass on this one, when they should be asking the obvious question--why? Sure, they might still be designing it. But it might also be a sign of some other issue. That so many game journalists aren't interested in digging deeper into the box's absence doesn't surprise me, but it does disappoint.

That you couldn't even come up with a hypothetical example of what that "other issue" could be makes me think not worrying about it is fine. Honestly, other than still designing it/saving it for E3 (which is the reason someone from Sony gave) what could the reason be? What could they possibly be trying to hide?

#112 Edited by marbleCmoney (481 posts) -

I rather enjoyed the PS4 reveal. It seems like Sony is really trying to go in the right direction and get back in the game by giving people what they want. I wasn't at all disappointing in the games they showed because I'd rather see stuff that I believe than impressive tech demos of what they think games could look like. Deep Down was the one game where I had to step back and say "this game will probably never look like this," so I think they did a pretty good job at showing people what they can expect when the next set of consoles launch.

#113 Posted by Sevenout (71 posts) -

@whatisdelicious: Yeah, I totally understand "regular" people thinking its weird we didn't see the box. Especially if what we are used to at this point are all the Apple conferences and phone manufacturers showing off their newest slick design every thirty seconds. What I thought was weird was all the hoopla from writers in the industry, though maybe tech writers don't count as "industry," I don't know. You would think that people used to writing about games and consoles would understand that some amount of information would be held back for an E3 reveal. Or that it is actually possible that they are still working out the details of what exactly their black rectangle will look like.

#114 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

Was 1UP the Giant Bomb of it's day?

#115 Edited by DedBeet (302 posts) -

Alex Navarro, the voice of reason, strikes again! The wave of negativity that I saw rising after the PS4 event simply confounded me. Them showing this early, and as much as they did, seemed to be really long odds but we must hate Sony because they didn't show us all of their hole cards. The press around the gaming industry - with some few exceptions - really depresses me these days.

#116 Edited by Fawkes (249 posts) -

@christoffer said:

Dan Stapleton, Mike Sharkey and Matthew Rorie as the PC team for Giant Bomb. No, I know it wont happen. GB survives by keeping the head down, I know.

Helluva nice sunday read, Alex

(David Cage sounds like a prick. If you can't do emotion with silent movies, then what the hell is The Kid? Also, games are way past silent movies).

Vinny, Drew, and Dave are the only PC team I need.

Also, did you watch David Cage for yourself? He literally said "If you look in the past, some films were highly emotional while being silent and in black and white".

#117 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

As always great Read Alex I look forward to this every Sunday, thank you :) On a side note I really need to find that Video Review you did for Smackdown Here Comes the Pain.

#118 Posted by Christoffer (1868 posts) -

@fawkes said:

@christoffer said:

Dan Stapleton, Mike Sharkey and Matthew Rorie as the PC team for Giant Bomb. No, I know it wont happen. GB survives by keeping the head down, I know.

Helluva nice sunday read, Alex

(David Cage sounds like a prick. If you can't do emotion with silent movies, then what the hell is The Kid? Also, games are way past silent movies).

Vinny, Drew, and Dave are the only PC team I need.

Also, did you watch David Cage for yourself? He literally said "If you look in the past, some films were highly emotional while being silent and in black and white".

No I didn't watch David Cage for myself... ahem.

#119 Posted by whatisdelicious (1228 posts) -

@sevenout: Yeah, it's just a fundamental difference in what a game console is compared to like a Macbook Pro or something. You're going to have that Macbook Pro with you all that time. You're going to directly interact with the entire hardware. So that's why Apple is constantly saying, "This is the most beautiful device we've ever made." I don't care what my PS3 looks like. It's not a good-looking console. It has a lot of dust on it. The most I interact with it is to plug flash drives into it sometimes and to hold down the power button if it locks up during a game. That's all.

It doesn't matter at all to me what the PS4 looks like. It matters to me what my Vita looks like.

#120 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Awesome post Alex!

#121 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2259 posts) -

Another great read and I couldn't agree more with Alex about his views of the PS4 unveiling and next generation consoles as a whole.

#122 Posted by graf1k (425 posts) -

@alex: It's kind of true though. You need technology to advance before you can have the kind of emotions that David Cage is trying to make. He's not trying to make cartoony characters like The Walking Dead that just sidestep realism altogether; he's trying to make digital actors.

Just look at L.A. Noire. That game has some incredibly sophisticated (and expensive) technology thrown behind it and it pays off in spades. I seriously cannot look at other games now without thinking about how terrible the animations look compared to L.A. Noire. That Deep Down tech demo? The first guy that talks? His face looked incredibly detailed and yet completely unconvincing to me.

I get what you're saying, that limitations foster creativity and that's how you get cool stuff like The Walking Dead, but sometimes it's not that simple. If you want digital faces to look and animate like real faces, digital people to move and behave like real people, you need technology to advance.

That may be what David Cage is trying to accomplish, but he's comparing the current tech to the next gen tech like it's going from silent movies to talkies, when in fact it's more like going from SD to HD. The biggest roadblock to good story telling in video games is not the technology, it's the story developers are trying to tell. Given, there are some outliers but even when a game is considered to tell a good story, it usually comes with the caveat "...for a video game". There is any good number of reasons for that, but how 'real' characters look really isn't the problem anymore. If anything, the gaming industry right now is like the old studio system of classic Hollywood, and we need to make it to the "New Hollywood" era. So basically, we need the gaming equivalent of an Easy Rider or The French Connection. We need a Scorsese, a Friedkin, a Kubrick. David Cage's big problem is he thinks if only technology catches up to his vision, he'll be exactly that but what he seems to fail to realize is all those people made great, compelling, emotionally resonant films despite technological limitations, not by conquering them.

As for the Sony conference, while nothing they showed resonated with me very well for various reasons, Sony did exactly what they needed to do. They showed some humility and that they have learned from their mistakes with the PS3 by adopting a more standardized hardware architecture. They showed some new games. They reached out to indie devs and showed they heard their pleas about making self-publishing easier, even if Microsoft doesn't. They even showed they heard the complaints about patches and updates and made that pretty easy. "Oh our last system didn't have enough RAM? Well BOOM motherfuckers, here's 8GB of some of the fastest RAM on the market? Deal with it!"

All in all, they had a good conference or meeting or whatever. Sure there are any number of questions about just how much of the GaiKai stuff they can actually deliver and when. A lot of answers Yoshida gave at the Q&A afterward have me a little worried about when/if some of that stuff will come to fruition, along with his dodgy answer about region free stuff, and various other things. But they got the broad strokes right.

#123 Posted by Karmann (622 posts) -

Very enjoyable read. I concur with your thoughts on the PS4 presentation, I don't get where all the hate is coming from, it was solid, if a bit somber. As for the rest of the article, I'm very sorry to hear about 1up, I should have visited it more often when I had the chance.

#124 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Good stuff

#125 Posted by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

Read the whole thing. I repeat my sentinments from my previous guns of navarro and worth reading article comment's, that for me to read an entire article is a big deal for me, because I scan-read almost everything except for books, it has to be truly interesting and well written for me to read every typed letter on the page.
Keep doing what you're doing Alex this kicked ass!

#126 Posted by squidraid (133 posts) -

I'll miss Gamespy a lot. That was my goto place in recent years for finding out whether a PC port was terrible or not.

#127 Posted by SuperSonic1305 (45 posts) -

Good article Alex. Though I wouldn't be surprised if many of the negative articles were just trolling for hits. Writers trying to get a slice of the viewer pie during a major few days for the industry.

#128 Posted by laxbro19 (52 posts) -

Another Quality piece from our Beast Coast corespondent Alex Navvaro.

#130 Posted by x0mb13 (32 posts) -

Really sad to see 1up go. The old 1up show video podcasts were the best! Gone but not forgotten.

#131 Posted by fetchfox (1292 posts) -

Great read Alex, love your new "column". Too bad your not as much present otherwise, more content from you is very welcome.

#132 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

As always great Read Alex I look forward to this every Sunday, thank you :) On a side note I really need to find that Video Review you did for Smackdown Here Comes the Pain.

I am here to save the day.

#133 Posted by 1m4d34g4m3w1thz0mb13s (16 posts) -

I disagree with everything written here.

#134 Posted by Christoffer (1868 posts) -

I disagree with everything written here.

...In a way you can't even explain yourself ("Can't" as in "not able to").

#135 Posted by fiberpay (282 posts) -

While I don't think not showing the box is a big deal. I can understand people thinking it was a misstep. Look at any other business that is getting ready to debut something with a press meeting. They don't do a press meeting for a new car and just tell you the specs and options.

#136 Edited by Pr1m8 (29 posts) -

@Alex I never bother commenting but these guns of articles are consistently great. More of this sort of thing!

#137 Posted by Hatsworth (11 posts) -

Great piece, Alex. Leading up to the conference I had no enthusiasm for the next-gen PS, but what I saw impressed me considerably. Sony are making bold steps.

#138 Posted by fiberpay (282 posts) -

Good article Alex. Though I wouldn't be surprised if many of the negative articles were just trolling for hits. Writers trying to get a slice of the viewer pie during a major few days for the industry.

Yes because nobody could have a different opinion.

#139 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2903 posts) -

I watched the Sony feed on GB, and then watched it recorded from other feeds. I have to say at the event everyone seemed positive and engaged. Yet, now a small but vocal minority seem to want to very critical because...well I'm puzzled about why they feel that way. I could understand caution or being even handed. I could understand disbelief if Sony has come out as a pushy-blaggard boasting of the impossible, but they came out rather honestly IMO.

Whatever... Some people will not be satisfied until launch day and they put the systems through its paces. Fair enough, we will all be see "what's what" on that day together.

I hope everyone from UGO, 1UP, and Gamespy lands on their feet. I hope the other sites and publications can hire some of the best of those folks to do new and exiting things. At times like this sometimes it is just best to hope 'the seeds' from publications that get chopped down will drift to fertile soil somewhere else.

#140 Posted by hippocrit (252 posts) -

This is a great new feature. They've all been easy, interesting reads. Also, your encyclopedia bombastica was awesome. It would be good to see more Alex on video!

#141 Posted by ExcessDebris (146 posts) -

Great post Alex. I think your commentary on the reactions to the PS4 announcement are spot on. I've been surprised at the seeming split between the reaction of the games press and the reaction of the tech press.

#142 Posted by KlUMZeE (319 posts) -

Great article Alex, a little light on the snark I've come to expect, but very well written. Keep up the incredible work.

And to everyone affected by the layoffs mentioned above, I wish all of you luck. I never was much of a Gamespy guy, but I used to visit 1up regularly and really enjoyed their content.

#143 Posted by Vertrucio (148 posts) -

Actually, new consoles means that most of the graphics tech improvements won't be utilized for the first year or two, only because all the developers need time to adjust to having both access to this tech, and enough of a market to warrant using this tech.

#144 Posted by Foggen (865 posts) -

I guess Rorie learned that lesson about package-deal websites, huh?

#145 Posted by AV_Gamer (623 posts) -

Another excellent article, Alex.

Like you, I was also impressed with the Sony PS4 reveal. Many people believed that they would either just talk about how they were going to save the Vita, or just mention the PS4 in one presentation and show maybe two demos. But they made the entire press meeting about their new console, making sure developers and consumers knew they would make a powerful console that's easy to make games for. It was a humble and almost apologetic presentation in my opinion, which is fine. I didn't like how the Square-Enix guys wasted everyone's time with the announcement of another Final Fantasy game, only for them to show the same demo which may or may not be what the new game is based on. It killed some of the humbleness. Wasn't aware of the backlash, but you can't please everyone. Also you have a lot of closet Microsoft cheerleaders that want the Japanese influence on video games to disappear completely and might have felt threatened by the bold, yet humble, PS4 reveal.

As far as video game websites merging and ultimately closing... all I can say is that's the way of the world today. The big fish companies all over are eating the little fish companies. Soon, there will only be a small number of companies that cover all the basic functions of everything, from shopping, to video game coverage. Hopefully, when that happens, you guys will be one of the few on top.

#146 Edited by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

@vertrucio said:

Actually, new consoles means that most of the graphics tech improvements won't be utilized for the first year or two, only because all the developers need time to adjust to having both access to this tech, and enough of a market to warrant using this tech.

But then again, I suspect that all of the features that get stripped out of games now, simply because the PCs they're developing on can handle this stuff without breaking a sweat, but the consoles can't do it...well, those things will suddenly be possible, and games might finally start to look like what they do in the early trailers before all the pretty stuff gets axed.

Edit: And not just pretty stuff, but all those horror stories about how the enemy AI gets lobotomized because a couple levels of the decision trees have to be chopped out for console memory and processing requirements. Maybe we'll see smarter AI too. We'd get all this without any new development techniques...simply NOT having to get it all scaled down to meet the lower horsepower.

#147 Posted by Camsampbell (60 posts) -

Thanks for another great article, Alex.

#148 Edited by Kosayn (453 posts) -

I really don't understand how so many people can harp on not showing the PS4 box design itself; that is clearly the sort of thing that a, doesn't actually matter, and b, should obviously be saved for E3 to keep it from losing its 'newness' by the time the thing sells in November.

I don't want to get all Sony Defence Force about any of the press conference - I almost never get excited about launch games, and I agree that their lofty plans for enhanced network functionality are destined to run into the brick wall of North America's shitty ISPs. But in all seriousness, I think the actual sales pitch was much stronger than anyone could have expected - considering their past shenanigans.

#149 Posted by Spiritof (2070 posts) -

It's all about momentum and holding a few of the cards close to your chest. Sony still has E3 and maybe a PAX before the launch. The price, the look of the console, more unannounced games, and an actual release date are the ways Sony can maintain that momentum until Holiday 2013.

I swear that most people at large absolutely detest the unknown or the idea of having a little mystery in their lives.

#150 Edited by Cybexx (1195 posts) -

Another quality column, I enjoy having something new to read on a Sunday.

As for the PS4, I personally thought it was a great presentation, they went into a lot more detail and showed a lot more stuff over that two hours than I would have expected. That said, a lot of the details they talked about leaked a while before the show and the closest they had to a big surprise for the hardware was some of the details for how the video streaming was going to work (spy on your friends and take control of their game). There was no "IllumiRoom" equivalent, though there is a good chance that won't be there for the next Xbox either. I don't think we can judge if this presentation was disappointing till we have the Microsoft presentation to judge it against.

Sony did seem to understand where they went wrong this generation. Everything from download speeds, to standardizing the hardware, to a better PS Move experience were talked about. I'm not necessarily chomping at the bit to want one in my home right now but I'll probably pick a PS4 up when it launches this fall with an expectation of greater things to come. I mean I can't not play the new Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch games.

On a quick aside I did want to mention that the Killzone 2 pre-rendered trailer has been brought up a lot recently. With the general consensus being that final game was a massive disappointment compared to that trailer. Which is not how I remember it at all. I remember that trailer being quickly accused of being pre-rendered. When the in-engine version of that trailer was shown two E3s later I remember people being generally surprised of how close they managed to get and how even the movement of the camera and gun, which seemed like the most bullshit thing about that trailer, was actually close to how it moved in the final game. All I'm saying is that I think Guerrilla was given the impossible task of living up to that pre-rendered trailer and they got about as close as they could have within the limitations of the PS3, which was a lot closer than I would have believed.