The Holy Commandments of Video Games and Video Games Making.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By mordukai

I tired to come up with something fun for my first blog here so i came up with the holy commandments of video games after I heard Mark kermode ranting about the holy commandment of films. 

I came up with some of my own but please feel free to add  commandments of your own. Anything that pisses you or bugs about a cretin decision the developers made that just don't make sense to you. Anything that made you pissed about video games you like or don't like. Make them funny, make them serious but in the end just have fun with it.

Thou shalt not have a playing or non playing character explain or state the obvious.
Thou shalt have a plot for god sakes i.e. Killzone 2 and gears of war 1 and 2.
Thou shalt have a logical decent difficulty curve and not something that resembles that Uncanny Valley.
Thou Shalt have a good inventory system that also makes sense [and not the schmorgestboard like Mass Effect has or the completely illogical one from Resident Evil 5].

ok it's 2 am here and i am done for now, i can't wait to see what everyone else have to add.

P.S- every video game i mentioned here and every one i will mention in the future is a good game in their own merit.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mordukai

I tired to come up with something fun for my first blog here so i came up with the holy commandments of video games after I heard Mark kermode ranting about the holy commandment of films. 

I came up with some of my own but please feel free to add  commandments of your own. Anything that pisses you or bugs about a cretin decision the developers made that just don't make sense to you. Anything that made you pissed about video games you like or don't like. Make them funny, make them serious but in the end just have fun with it.

Thou shalt not have a playing or non playing character explain or state the obvious.
Thou shalt have a plot for god sakes i.e. Killzone 2 and gears of war 1 and 2.
Thou shalt have a logical decent difficulty curve and not something that resembles that Uncanny Valley.
Thou Shalt have a good inventory system that also makes sense [and not the schmorgestboard like Mass Effect has or the completely illogical one from Resident Evil 5].

ok it's 2 am here and i am done for now, i can't wait to see what everyone else have to add.

P.S- every video game i mentioned here and every one i will mention in the future is a good game in their own merit.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

How 'bout this one?

Thou shalt let me skip cutscenes, somehow.

ESPECIALLY before frustrating boss battles (Riku/Ansem 2, Zeromus, etc.).

TripleAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TripleAgent

Thou shalt not release a game in an unfinished state, riddled with bugs, glitches, and the like.  A patch can help, but please try to get as many bugs out as you can BEFORE launch.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7

Thou shalt read Cracked for a better list, and saintly lists in general.

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Superchris129

That's the dumbest list ever man. If you're going to list rules that game makers SHOULDN'T break, you shouldn't be listing good games as examples. Killzone 2, Gears, and Resident Evil 5 were all great games.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

Thou shalt checkpoint me right when the boss battle starts, not before like Gears of War 1 (If the boss is kicking my ass, I don't want to have to run around, pickup my ammo and weapons, press a button, view a cutscene and then start the fight, only to get my ass kicked again.)

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TwoOneFive
i disagree with you first one because i always liked it in MGS4 when Otacon or the Colonel stated the obvious.

Thou Shalt Make Checkpoints During Missions in Open-world Games. (eg. gta4)
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai

@ Superchris129: As i said in my fist initial post all the games I listed are good games that just had that little nagging drawback that kept it from being great. 

-  Killzone 2 is a really good game but it could have had a much better plot with more serious tone to it and better developed characters, but the developers completely missed on that one. 

- Gears has a really good and very polished gameplay but has almost no plot and one dimensional characters that for some reason we are suppose to feel some sort of emotional attachment to them. 

Now i think a good portion of us who played Resident Evil 5 most agree that the inventory system in that game was a total flop and the developers, in my opinion, should be ashamed of themselves for going with this kind of inventory system. Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw pretty much summoned up every problem i had with Resident Evil 5 inventory system, if you want to check it out just follow this link:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/624-Resident-Evil-5

Thou Shalt have a mandatory cover system for FPS's.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

A mandatory cover system? Why?

Also, to play Devil's Advocate in the inventory debate, people would have complained if Resident Evil's inventory system had stayed in its Diablo-esque state. I actually read this in a thread not long after Resident Evil 4 was released:

"I can carry three shotguns, a missle launcher, two handguns, and several healing herbs without trouble, but all this plus a single grenade is an impossible task."

Plus, you and "Yahtzee" are both fixated on the inventory itself, and are overlooking the reason why the inventory was altered in the first place: Resident Evil 5 is a game built for cooperative play. Imagine how much less immersive the experience would be in the event of having the game pause, regardless of your character, when someone needed to access a healing item or a different weapon.

Furthermore, if the game didn't pause, you'd be tasked with protecting your partner the whole time they're digging through their attache case combining herbs.  It's bad logic, man.  The inventory system is servicable at worst, and at best, is something of a stroke of genius when you realize the ease of combining and equipping disparate items.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By End_Boss

Thou shalt not break the shit out of your first game's online play in the series' second installment.

... I don't think I have to name any names.

skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By skidd

Uwe Boll, Thou shalt not.

Also, Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo = wittertainment at its most wiitertaining