The importance of knowing where you are...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

PEOPLE LEARN THINGS FROM MY BLOGS 

For Example:

In the 18th century Science and Logic took social priority over religious beliefs for the first time, post renaissance. This was called the Age Of Reason. Aside from being an awesome name for a videogame, the Age Of Reason marked a pinnacle of social evolution in the way we look at the world and accept the information we are presented. It is important in a way that much of the content we are exposed to is not.  

Often we are given context in which we operate is presented as important. Assassins Creed seems to take particular joy in placing the player in a scenes of social turmoil. But if we are to be honest to ourselves, are these events really presented with the maturity they deserve? Playing through these computer games one gets a strong sensation of the contextual importance being diluted by a realistic physics engine or limb dismemberment. I'm not asking for edutainment - I'm not that big a cunt - but there seems to be a level of sincerity in computer games which remains completely unprecedented. Gaming has taken on such an advanced level of humanism, to varying degrees of success, that the metaphorical big picture has been lost. We have become so obsessed with empathy over single events and characters that the worlds in which we operate lose all significance. 

I guess it's just hypocritical. I'm becoming weary of a game telling me that the current time in which the game is set is of great importance - then sending my on my way to collect/kill/find 20 generic computer game people/objects/flags. Re-enforcing your importance as an individual only to belittle it with meaningless tasks is absurd. It's because of this that games like Assassins Creed are in many ways more immature than say... Pokemon Platinum; which has no pretentious maturity and takes pleasure in rewarding the player for their creativity and skill. Also it's awesome.

Ok i'm done.  

IN OTHER NEWS 
The video driver in my laptop is fried, I get blue-screens every time I try and log in. Not only can I not blog easily, but I lose a whole chunk of work and I can't go online. The upside of this is that I can now justify window shopping for my new desktop. I also started writing up my travels backpacking in Europe. If anyone is interested my first travel blog can be read here

Thanks For Reading 
Love Sweep
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

PEOPLE LEARN THINGS FROM MY BLOGS 

For Example:

In the 18th century Science and Logic took social priority over religious beliefs for the first time, post renaissance. This was called the Age Of Reason. Aside from being an awesome name for a videogame, the Age Of Reason marked a pinnacle of social evolution in the way we look at the world and accept the information we are presented. It is important in a way that much of the content we are exposed to is not.  

Often we are given context in which we operate is presented as important. Assassins Creed seems to take particular joy in placing the player in a scenes of social turmoil. But if we are to be honest to ourselves, are these events really presented with the maturity they deserve? Playing through these computer games one gets a strong sensation of the contextual importance being diluted by a realistic physics engine or limb dismemberment. I'm not asking for edutainment - I'm not that big a cunt - but there seems to be a level of sincerity in computer games which remains completely unprecedented. Gaming has taken on such an advanced level of humanism, to varying degrees of success, that the metaphorical big picture has been lost. We have become so obsessed with empathy over single events and characters that the worlds in which we operate lose all significance. 

I guess it's just hypocritical. I'm becoming weary of a game telling me that the current time in which the game is set is of great importance - then sending my on my way to collect/kill/find 20 generic computer game people/objects/flags. Re-enforcing your importance as an individual only to belittle it with meaningless tasks is absurd. It's because of this that games like Assassins Creed are in many ways more immature than say... Pokemon Platinum; which has no pretentious maturity and takes pleasure in rewarding the player for their creativity and skill. Also it's awesome.

Ok i'm done.  

IN OTHER NEWS 
The video driver in my laptop is fried, I get blue-screens every time I try and log in. Not only can I not blog easily, but I lose a whole chunk of work and I can't go online. The upside of this is that I can now justify window shopping for my new desktop. I also started writing up my travels backpacking in Europe. If anyone is interested my first travel blog can be read here

Thanks For Reading 
Love Sweep
ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ZeroCast

Think about it this way, maybe those significant references to history are meant to be there as a way to introduce the player through events he/she never dreamed of witnessing, after all, games could be considered as an escape out of reality and into the unknown past.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Oni

I think Assassin's Creed does a good job with its story and setting, though it could have done with more variety than "Praise be Salahadin" over and over again. Sure, flag-collecting is dumb, but I don't think it dilutes the game's amazing achievements in presenting a cohesive, realistic setting. I wish more games would take place in historical real-world places with a lot of attention to detail.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I wrote a really long response and then I noticed that it had nothing to do with what you were talking about. I'll just say this. Filler. Flag collecting and all that is the developers way of saying "the game will be really short if you just run through it, so here's some stuff to waste your time on." The historical setting is only developed to the extent that it is so that they can incorporate all of the important people and things like DaVinci and the weapons without conflicts in time lines. The extra story detail that they get with that is just a side effect. 

I'll still say the last part of my original post to get my view out into the open.

It's when they develop the history with so much research making the world so accurate and realistic and, at the same time, they downplay the organization and strategy that is supposed to go into real assassinations that the game gets diluted. I know that it's a bit much to ask for even more realism in a game like this but, really, there is almost no strategy involved in actually getting to and killing the target. Either it's completely spelled out for you or you can just climb a building and drop down on him. They went through all of the trouble developing the background and the history of the setting but they made the complex Muslim cult of the Hashashin a boring simple concept that has no real organization.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I'm a big kid at heart, so games that use this as a form of gameplay doesn't bother me. I like some of my games a little immature. The Assassin's Creed world I played in made up for all its wash and repeat gameplay structure. I also liked the Vita-Chambers in Bioshock which seemed kind of immature for some gamers. I do look forward to advancements especially in Assassin's Creed 2. I also look forward to more diversity in games. I think the next generation of games will implement much more gameplay and game structure elements. Heavy Rain seems to take the adventure genre to a whole new level in this generation, let's hope that other genres receive some innovation as well. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

I know exactly where I am.  It's orange on the map.  = D  What color is yours though, Moosey?  WHAT COLOR IS YOURS?! 

Even included a heart, since I'm *clap clap clap clap* DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!!! 
Even included a heart, since I'm *clap clap clap clap* DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!!! 
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jkz

I can see the issue you take with diluting importance by assigning the player the most mundane of tasks, and agree with you to a point. Assassin's Creed was not a game in which you were made out to be incredibely important, influencial, or instrumental to the events taking place around you. They made sure to drive this point home every time you were told to collect evidence and Altair remarked, to varying degrees, on the tedium of the tasks he was assigned to.  

The increasing importance of the character was not due to his stature as an assassin, nor his expoits, but because of the events he became caught up in which were, for once, truly bigger than him. Sure, he met Richard, and sure, he uncovered the mainical plot his master had been brewing for so long, but he was in no way made out to be an immensely important character. Instead, we were told that he was simply some one who got caught up in things bigger than themselves. 

Phew, that covers the first half of your post, about belittling the characters achievements. I do agree more, however, with your assessment of games' immaturity. I feel that, far too often, games use their historical backdrops more as a reason to re-use and re-state plot points which have been used to the point of saturation. I felt assassin's creed did an admirable job of dropping the player into a tumultuous time in history and allowing them to feel part of the world. However, they distilled the conflict between Richard and Saladin to a simple battle for territory, and decided to forgoe further investigation into the racial and religious conflicts going on at the time. Additionally, as Dr_Feelgood so aptly mentioned, they made the Hashashin, a group that even Saladin himself feared, out to be a simple group of overly-acrobatic killers, rather than the religious zealots, trained from birth to move and kill without warning, that they were. 

Gah, done. I THINK that loosely relates to what you were saying, amirite?